• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Coffee! Stock up at low prices!

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Look for opportunities to buy coffee at low sale prices. Then buy all that you can comfortably keep in stock. The monthly chart of coffee shows that the price of coffee is very low. The inflation adjusted price of coffee can easily increase by a factor of 5 from current low prices.

Coffee monthly.jpg

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/CF/M?anticache=1567227558#footerclose

The weekly chart below shows that coffee has bounced off a double bottom, and it is reasonable to guess that coffee can climb higher from current levels. Locking in the current bargain price with buying on sale as much coffee as you will consume and can comfortably stock is a good plan.

Coffee weekly.jpg

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/CF/W?anticache=1448951173#footerclose

There is always a risk that prices can fall further, so I am not (yet) ready to bet on futures, but I will consider that after the technicals further improve and I can limit my risk based on market action. Buy low and drink up!

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I buy Pilon and Cafe Bustelo in the vacuum sealed “bricks,” by the case. It’s nice and rich, an espresso roast that tastes really good and buying it vac-sealed like that guarantees that light and air don’t get to it to dry it out and ruin the flavor. They’re still a decent price, right now, even by the case.
2CA18BFD-1E58-4C6A-BDA4-B05DEBE898AB.jpeg
23889985-5352-40AA-ACA2-9AED659DA6C1.jpeg

Last edited:

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If you want to store coffee long term, buy green beans and vacuum seal with oxy absorbers. I recently roasted some that were 10 years old and they came out as good as fresh.

I buy my green beans at Copan Trading out of Houston, you can buy quality Arabica beans in bulk (pallet) for as low as $2.20 a lb delivered. I buy the smaller quantities that comes out to around $4 a lb delivered.

Roasting is a skill, but it's easy to get started. I started with a popcorn popper from a thrift store. Now I've got an Otto Swadlo made in Vienna from the 60's.

https://copantrade.com/
1567267449290.jpg

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
How long do vacuum sealed bricks of coffee stay good?

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I buy Pilon and Cafe Bustelo in the vacuum sealed “bricks,” by the case. It’s nice and rich, an espresso roast that tastes really good and buying it vac-sealed like that guarantees that light and air don’t get to it to dry it out and ruin the flavor. They’re still a decent price, right now, even by the case.
HA !!! I found those some time ago. I used to spend some money on whole beans, grind them myself, etc, etc, etc. got tired of paying through the nose for some pretentious company brand beans. I like strong coffee. Cafe Bustelo is a great brand. I can make it as strong as I like and it's never bitter.

After watching "Bucket List" (Jack Nicholson prided himself in drinking the most expensive coffee in the world) i got hold of some Kopi Luwak coffee just to try it - very much overrated.

Cat's Ass Coffee, or Kopi Luwak as it is known in Sumatra, is renowned all over the world for its incredibly delicious, subtle, lingering flavor and exceptional smoothness. It is the worlds premiere rare & exotic coffee.

Deep in the heart of the Sumatran jungle, where the roads are few and the people fewer, the stealthy Luwak roams free. This adorable cat burglar will make its way to coffee plantations when the crop is in season, using its superior senses to select only the choicest of coffee cherries. After digestion, these organic beans are gathered by hand from the rainforest floor and then taken by oxcart to an earthen kiln where they are gently roasted by a native coffee artisan.

http://www.catsasscoffee.com/

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I just opened a brick of mediocre Folgers Colombian, that I had stored down in the basement, in a box. I’ll bet those bricks have been down there at least six years, or more. I’ll check the date on the remaining bricks, later and post it. Anyway, right out of the brick, the coffee was pretty good, but not great, so I poured it all into my Oster blender and turned it up, little by little to a medium churn, till all the grounds turned to a pretty fine powder. When I was done, they smelled wonderful and made a very strong, almost espresso-like coffee this morning. I will have to use a bit less coffee per pot next time. I use an old Pyrex 4-cup percolator and turn the gas on low to perk the coffee very slow. The low heat makes for a smoother, richer taste. It takes longer, but I’m retired right now. I don’t have anywhere to go. It’s nice.

These things are awesome! My grandpappy had one like this when I was a kid, only bigger. He drank coffee all day long. I’m good for a morning cup and that’s it. They still make filters for these. You can get them in the grocery stores or on amazon, by the case.
ECE111E8-AD7E-439D-9642-EEE1F3D9C9FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
HA !!! I found those some time ago. I used to spend some money on whole beans, grind them myself, etc, etc, etc. got tired of paying through the nose for some pretentious company brand beans. I like strong coffee. Cafe Bustelo is a great brand. I can make it as strong as I like and it's never bitter.

After watching "Bucket List" (Jack Nicholson prided himself in drinking the most expensive coffee in the world) i got hold of some Kopi Luwak coffee just to try it - very much overrated.

Cat's Ass Coffee, or Kopi Luwak as it is known in Sumatra, is renowned all over the world for its incredibly delicious, subtle, lingering flavor and exceptional smoothness. It is the worlds premiere rare & exotic coffee.

Deep in the heart of the Sumatran jungle, where the roads are few and the people fewer, the stealthy Luwak roams free. This adorable cat burglar will make its way to coffee plantations when the crop is in season, using its superior senses to select only the choicest of coffee cherries. After digestion, these organic beans are gathered by hand from the rainforest floor and then taken by oxcart to an earthen kiln where they are gently roasted by a native coffee artisan.

http://www.catsasscoffee.com/

That was a good movie. I’d kinda forgotten about it, but I’ll definitely have to see it again.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
The two Folgers Colombian bricks I just brought up from the basement have a best if used by date of Feb17, 2013, so I guess it’s safe to say those were bought long prior to 2013. Easily 2012, maybe even 2011. So, the bricks I’m using now are 7 or 8 years old. I’m guessing coffee bricks are like canned food, perfectly usable and nutritious long past it’s printed expiration date, but I imagine they will get very stale tasting eventually. How long is a big guess. 7-8 years is a long time.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Add one more thing I need to store I guess, when on sale, buy.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I started thinking about it while reading One Second After. After the EMP event, when things got tough for the characters in the book, how important it was for them to be able to enjoy the simple pleasure of drinking a hot cup of coffee in the morning. Don’t know if that kind of situation will ever develop, but I thought about how important that morning cup is to me and felt compelled to protect it’s continuation. You gotta pick your essentials. Coffee is one of mine.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Our local Employee owned store (Bi-Mart) has Folgers 2.2lb cans on sale for 5.99. No sales tax here makes it a good deal.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Cafe Bustelo, 2 for $5 10 oz packs at my local Publix,hard to beat that price.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Cafe Bustelo, 2 for $5 10 oz packs at my local Publix,hard to beat that price.
Mmmm, bildge rag and creosote "coffee"! Mr. Iron's and I can't stomach that stuff. Unless you like to lick RR ties, you won't either.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Mmmm, bildge rag and creosote "coffee"! Mr. Iron's and I can't stomach that stuff. Unless you like to lick RR ties, you won't either.
This is one of the few times you will hear me say "Black is beautiful".

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Well, then. Everybody’s tastes are different, I guess. I like the Cafe Bustelo, myself and the Pilon. What do you and Mr. Irons like, if I might ask?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Well, then. Everybody’s tastes are different, I guess. I like the Cafe Bustelo, myself and the Pilon. What do you and Mr. Irons like, if I might ask?
My preference is something along the lines of 8Oclock or Gevalia. Usually easy to find on sale and I stock up. I've also bought similar styles from a local close out place for $5 pound (12oz). Drinking it right now in fact. It's not arabica but smooth and ok.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
....curious on coffee storing and preservation shelf life etc.......we just use the std ole Folgers in a plastic tub .....i have no idea of the shelf life at all.....would storing in a deep freeze help? .....oddly enough just started drinking coffee this last year so this is a new prep item for me ...i cant seem myself vacume packing beans to grind up later...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
....curious on coffee storing and preservation shelf life etc.......we just use the std ole Folgers in a plastic tub .....i have no idea of the shelf life at all.....would storing in a deep freeze help? .....oddly enough just started drinking coffee this last year so this is a new prep item for me ...i cant seem myself vacume packing beans to grind up later...
Make sure you have plenty of antibiotics iffins yer gonna drink std folgers. :p

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Bustelo is all cheap robusto beans with way way too much caffeine for me, makes me feel like a downed power line that landed in a pile of meth.
Not a fan of it's watery lack of depth either. Here's me on Bustelo right before my heart explodes.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Bustelo is all cheap robusto beans with way way too much caffeine for me, makes me feel like a downed power line that landed in a pile of meth.
Not a fan of it's watery lack of depth either. Here's me on Bustelo right before my heart explodes.

Yeah, OK. But you didn’t answer my question. What do you like to drink? And Bustelo is actually a blend of Arabica and Robusto. Not the best, but not bad. I like it.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Yeah, OK. But you didn’t answer my question. What do you like to drink? And Bustelo is actually a blend of Arabica and Robusto. Not the best, but not bad. I like it.
I like mcafe colombian, 8 o'clock regular and colombian peaks, and the local grocery store brand colombian.
If nothing else is available folgers colombian will do until I can get something better. Maxwell house colombian has too much caffeine but doesn't taste too bad. I like medium to dark roast Arabica but not too smooth. It has to have some bite to it too.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I like mcafe colombian, 8 o'clock regular and colombian peaks, and the local grocery store brand colombian.
If nothing else is available folgers colombian will do until I can get something better. Maxwell house colombian has too much caffeine but doesn't taste too bad. I like medium to dark roast Arabica but not too smooth. It has to have some bite to it too.

I like the McCafe Colombian myself. I just bought a bag of it the other day, but haven’t opened it yet. Good stuff. It’s actually better than the Folger’s Colombian.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I like the McCafe Colombian myself. I just bought a bag of it the other day, but haven’t opened it yet. Good stuff. It’s actually better than the Folger’s Colombian.
McCafe Colombian is a winner. It is full bodied and refined but still has some wildness to it. A little bitterness to let you know it's coffee, dammit and not some foo foo liquid candy bar with foam on top.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Whatever they brew at the local home depots is rocket fuel. I like to go in a get a free pre-workout hit after breakfast.

Bigjon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Costa Rican Tarrazu light roast for me. I like bright acidic flavored coffee. Reminds me of my mom's egg coffee.
Medium roast is ok and dark roast is mud.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
McCafe Colombian is a winner. It is full bodied and refined but still has some wildness to it. A little bitterness to let you know it's coffee, dammit and not some foo foo liquid candy bar with foam on top.

“Foo foo liquid candy bar...” I like that.

On occaision, I make my own foo foo coffee. Brew up a very nice, strong pot, extra long time at low temp. Then I add heavy cream, ghirardelli cocao powder and a couple dashes of salt. If you get the coffee/cream/cocao ratio just right (you don’t want too much cream or too much cocao), man oh man, does it hit the spot. Best on those really cold mornings, when you don’t look forward to going out.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Dunkin' Donuts Whole Bean for me. 4#/month is just about right. Did the Gevalia thing for a while but too damned expensive to guzzle as I do. Excellent coffee though! Have tried numerous other coffees/custom blends/custom roasts and NONE can meet or beat DD whole bean for taste/value/consistency. There is a contender that holds second place with a strength that none can meet and that's Tim Horton coffee. It's a Canuck outfit that has staged an invasion of the northern and eastern states. Makes a damn good cup similar to DD.

I despise any coffee approaching a dark roast. Too burnt tasting to me and do NOT like having to put other flavors into my coffee just to make it tolerable to the palette. I want my coffee hot, black and leaning strong. No salt/ no sugar/no cream/ no chocolate or other flavors...just hot, black, leaning strong.

I have a BIG Berkey filter in the kitchen that provides genuine, good, clean water for making coffee. The water REALLY makes a BIG difference in flavor of the coffee. Local water is heavily mineralized so I have to change out the Berkey filters and clean them about every year and a half. The filters clean easily enough with water and a Scotch scrubby pad. I say Scotch because other brands really don't do such a good job.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I hate coffee, it is stank and smells

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
“Foo foo liquid candy bar...” I like that.

On occaision, I make my own foo foo coffee. Brew up a very nice, strong pot, extra long time at low temp. Then I add heavy cream, ghirardelli cocao powder and a couple dashes of salt. If you get the coffee/cream/cocao ratio just right (you don’t want too much cream or too much cocao), man oh man, does it hit the spot. Best on those really cold mornings, when you don’t look forward to going out.
My version of foo foo joe is adding heavy coconut milk. Yeah buddy! Da bomb.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
My version of foo foo joe is adding heavy coconut milk. Yeah buddy! Da bomb.
Will try that. Coconut milk is sweet, right?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Will try that. Coconut milk is sweet, right?
Yes sir. Brands matter too. My preference is the one on the bottom right. Should be found in any Asian market. The ones on the left I would avoid.

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Waiting for Nickelless to weigh in...

Nickelless
If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox

If I recall he is a big Cafe Bustelo hoarder.

We are Bustelo drinkers in our house, too.

SC

Last edited: