• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Cold showers

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Anyone take cold showers, ice baths or swim in cold water for the health benefits?

Ive probably only had 6 hot showers in the past 3 years. It sucks....until its over. Then it feels amazing. I find the routine of intentionally subjecting myself to discomfort very beneficial for the mind.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Anyone take cold showers, ice baths or swim in cold water for the health benefits?

Ive probably only had 6 hot showers in the past 3 years. It sucks....until its over. Then it feels amazing. I find the routine of intentionally subjecting myself to discomfort very beneficial for the mind.
What’s your procedure? Do you jump in the shower and just turn on the cold water, or do you inch it down till you can’t stand it anymore?

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes I take a cold shower just to see if I’m mentally strong enough to do it. It’s not so bad after the first minute. At some point the water almost feels warm.

it feels about as rewarding as completing a workout.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
What’s your procedure? Do you jump in the shower and just turn on the cold water, or do you inch it down till you can’t stand it anymore?
Usually a bucket bath. If very cold (atmospheric) I do lower body first.

My gas is off so its whatever the tap is at. Coldest I remember measuring this season was 52 degrees.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
do you inch it down till you can’t stand it anymore?

I inch it down and work myself up mentally. It’s interesting the conversation that you have with yourself while your doing it.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I inch it down and work myself up mentally. It’s interesting the conversation that you have with yourself while your doing it.
Lol thats funny. I almost always get vocal aloud.

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Not on purpose....

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Gotta have my hot shower in the morning and I have been feeling very grateful to have that luxury. The days of proving to myself how tuff I am's are past me now. Matter of fact, I get little joy being cold anymore. Hot and humid days I'll give myself a cold rinse head to toe.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Gotta have my hot shower in the morning and I have been feeling very grateful to have that luxury. The days of proving to myself how tuff I am's are past me now. Matter of fact, I get little joy being cold anymore. Hot and humid days I'll give myself a cold rinse head to toe.
There's one major reason I moved south.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
There's one major reason I moved south.
With what Masshole government is planning on doing by making everything more expensive and the warmer climate, The thought of heading down that way has been popping up often.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
With what Masshole government is planning on doing by making everything more expensive and the warmer climate, The thought of heading down that way has been popping up often.
Highly recommend. Look at the neighbors-
20210402_121443~2.jpg

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Spent a little time in the Far East, first two weeks of a 6 week tour the showers had ZERO hot water, venture a guess, it was upper 30's low 40's.

Finally asked the GM what the deal was with the cold showers, he laughed, and said that it was the best way to cut down on the water bill and the electric bill.

Cheap bastards.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Spent a little time in the Far East, first two weeks of a 6 week tour the showers had ZERO hot water, venture a guess, it was upper 30's low 40's.

Finally asked the GM what the deal was with the cold showers, he laughed, and said that it was the best way to cut down on the water bill and the electric bill.

Cheap bastards.
Buddy of mine (RIP Ron)went to Antarctica to do some work. Said they were limited to 2 - 2 minute showers a week.

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score

OMG....this brought me to tears laughing my ass off. Her little shriek's of anguish every time she got a little deeper into the water, plus his uncontrollable laughter about pitched me outta my chair.....

:belly laugh:

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
BTW.....I dont often take cold showers. In the summer when its hot I'll start out with a luke warm shower and get cleaned up then slowly reduce the hot to the point where its all cold.
When I was a young man I had a relative who had a cabin up near Yampa CO. They had built a sauna right next to the Yampa river and we would sit in the sauna then jump into the ice cold river. Very invigorating.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I live 25 miles from town. In the summer when its +100, I strip off on the back porch at the end of the day, wet myself w the hose, soap up, then rinse off.

I like the breeze on my dangleeeee bits. sometimes (usually) I sit nekkid at the picnic table and drink beer til im dry.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
There was a guy in Maine that only had an outdoor shower. Unthinkable to me.

I used to lake swim in CT in my 20's which enabled me to slowly acclimate to the Atlantic of of Maine.....it took 2 years though. That water is COLD! I could do some cold swims in nice weather but still can't see myself ever intentionally going into the water in winter like people did for annual events. Crazy to ponder how strong some people's minds are.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
BTW.....I dont often take cold showers. In the summer when its hot I'll start out with a luke warm shower and get cleaned up then slowly reduce the hot to the point where its all cold.
When I was a young man I had a relative who had a cabin up near Yampa CO. They had built a sauna right next to the Yampa river and we would sit in the sauna then jump into the ice cold river. Very invigorating.
Yeah the shrieks really let you know shes not faking!

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Most people just jump in, scream, then get out quickly.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I have fell in the river beaver trapping before, in winter, and filled up my chest waders, I know how it goes. Shrivels up the ole bean sack right now!

Then theres taking the waders off, emptying em out, put em back on, and the walk back to the truck. I dont trap beavers anymore. One time I about didnt make it to the truck, got all warm and cozy in my waders and wanted to lay down on the ground and take a nap. thats a bad sign.

:sick

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I have fell in the river beaver trapping before, in winter, and filled up my chest waders, I know how it goes. Shrivels up the ole bean sack right now!

Then theres taking the waders off, emptying em out, put em back on, and the walk back to the truck. I dont trap beavers anymore. One time I about didnt make it to the truck, got all warm and cozy in my waders and wanted to lay down on the ground and take a nap. thats a bad sign.

:sick
Doesnt some like a bad way to go iffin y'er ready however.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Doesnt some like a bad way to go iffin y'er ready however.
It sounds like a shit way to go to me

I want to go like Irons......................... hookers and blow!

He wears chest waders too, its only a matter of time.

:2 thumbs up:

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Gr8 points

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
There are no health benefits to anything cold.

Except Ice Cream.

I have been boycotting the Arctic Circle for 30 years!

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cold showers may help boost weight loss
Some fat cells, such as brown fat, can generate heat by burning fat. They do this when your body is exposed to cold conditions like in a shower. ... So, perfect for showers! Google it.

Evl Bnkr

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I do like Oldmansmith - flip the water to max cold on my head and work over the rest of the body for a few minutes. Been doing this for years. No worries about stepping out of the shower into a cold room after that! Very similar to what Scandinavians do going from the sauna to the snow bank, heat opens the pores and sweats flushes out the gunk, cold slams the pores shut like right now!

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
When I was 4 years old, my father got a Fulbright Fellowship to teach in Manila, Philippines.

The maid used to sit me in the kitchen sink, and pour a kettle of very cold tap water over me for "bath-time".

I never got over it... and can NOT STAND putting my body in cold water. No cold showers, no cold water (or snow) after a sauna, no swimming in the North Atlantic, the California Pacific etc... even the Mediterranean... Even swimming pools are too cold...

But Miami-Ft.Lauderdale was ok, Cancun was fine. Venezuela was THE BEST... (90s...)

I almost faint when I watch the "Polar-Bear-Clubs" cut a hole in the ice and take a dip at New Years...

I'll stink up the place if there's no hot water available. (Even repaired water heaters at places we were staying, haha!) And the settings on my water heater are scalding - with a stern warning to all who come in (especially kids). I want to be able to refill my bathtub with boiling water when it starts cooling down...

Come out lobster-red, totally relaxed. Perhaps I was Japanese in a past life...

Last edited:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Perhaps I was Japanese in a past life...
Maybe your just a girl, or a fag. They can sort you in the army.

They have money for that now.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Nobody lives forever.

this-will-not-end-well-cat.jpg

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score