• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Collective mind thoughts on food shortages.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
1652124112464.png

Well now, I guess we can take this to the bank...

1652124071001.png

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
1652124155888.png

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The way my mom grew up in the way that I grew up was you ate everything on your plate. Living through the Great depression taught them true conservation which was successfully passed through to me thank heavens.
That is how I was raised as well. However, it is also an important lesson to unlearn if you are overweight. Its a tough one to unlearn, to this day it feels wrong for me to leave anything even just specks on my dinner plate.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
That is how I was raised as well. However, it is also an important lesson to unlearn if you are overweight. Its a tough one to unlearn, to this day it feels wrong for me to leave anything even just specks on my dinner plate.
Excellent point something my mother and I both had to overcome was portion control. Neither of us are overweight but we can both suck down a plate of food!

Our biggest problem is being a workaholic and not eating enough throughout the day so when time comes to eat the body's starving

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
thanks, I love doing poppers but I didn't know if they would freeze well. I'm anxious to try the pickled ones too. This is my first summer not working :)
Anything you want recipes for or want to know about is usually on youtube. :). I see frozen ones in the grocery store all the time so I figured I could do it at home. Just make them however you like them. Onto a sheet tray and pop em in the freezer until frozen. then transfer them into a freezer bag or bags. I have tried to do this a few times. Always end up eating them right away. Then friends find out and they come and before you know it, none to freeze. LOL.
A couple months ago I bought some Jalapeño powder from azure. Super expensive like 32 bucks a lb so I figured I would make my own this yer. Dehydrate the peppers and then grind em in a spice or coffee grinder. I do that with cayenne peppers as well. I imagine you can do it with sermons as well. Actually one of my favor peppers. Adds nice flavor to salsa as well as the right amount of heat for like a medium salsa. 10 years ago I had a bunch of them and dehydrated them. Filled 2 quart mason jars. Gave a bunch away and use them all the time in taco meat and chili. Still have some from 2012 that are going strong. That was from about 3 plants. Run the dehydrator outdoors if your going to do hot peppers though. You'll thank me later. LOL.

I haven't done the pickled jalapeños yet either but this year I definitely will.

Enjoy your 1st summer off. Once you get going you will wonder how you ever had time to work. :)

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
A couple months ago I bought some Jalapeño powder from azure. Super expensive like 32 bucks a lb so I figured I would make my own this yer. Dehydrate the peppers and then grind em in a spice or coffee grinder. I do that with cayenne peppers as well. I imagine you can do it with sermons as well. Actually one of my favor peppers. Adds nice flavor to salsa as well as the right amount of heat for like a medium salsa.

Thats what I do every year, but not just hot peppers, the sweet ones too. I just dehydrate all of them, grind em up together and put into a big shaker with some salt.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Thats what I do every year, but not just hot peppers, the sweet ones too. I just dehydrate all of them, grind em up together and put into a big shaker with some salt.
That sounds awesome. Sweet peppers are something I never grow. I'll keep an eye out for them at the Amish store though.
This year I am doing a lot of Jalapeños. The most productive plant I will dig up at the end of the season and grow indoors all winter and then next year only grow that one plant and free up space in the garden for others.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Anything you want recipes for or want to know about is usually on youtube. :). I see frozen ones in the grocery store all the time so I figured I could do it at home. Just make them however you like them. Onto a sheet tray and pop em in the freezer until frozen. then transfer them into a freezer bag or bags. I have tried to do this a few times. Always end up eating them right away. Then friends find out and they come and before you know it, none to freeze. LOL.
A couple months ago I bought some Jalapeño powder from azure. Super expensive like 32 bucks a lb so I figured I would make my own this yer. Dehydrate the peppers and then grind em in a spice or coffee grinder. I do that with cayenne peppers as well. I imagine you can do it with sermons as well. Actually one of my favor peppers. Adds nice flavor to salsa as well as the right amount of heat for like a medium salsa. 10 years ago I had a bunch of them and dehydrated them. Filled 2 quart mason jars. Gave a bunch away and use them all the time in taco meat and chili. Still have some from 2012 that are going strong. That was from about 3 plants. Run the dehydrator outdoors if your going to do hot peppers though. You'll thank me later. LOL.

I haven't done the pickled jalapeños yet either but this year I definitely will.

Enjoy your 1st summer off. Once you get going you will wonder how you ever had time to work. :)
That's what's up

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
That sounds awesome. Sweet peppers are something I never grow. I'll keep an eye out for them at the Amish store though.
This year I am doing a lot of Jalapeños. The most productive plant I will dig up at the end of the season and grow indoors all winter and then next year only grow that one plant and free up space in the garden for others.
In my experience sweet peppers just don't produce the bang for the buck that the hot ones do. Is that also found true for you? I just can't stop rhyming and I don't know what to do! Fark!

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
In my experience sweet peppers just don't produce the bang for the buck that the hot ones do. Is that also found true for you? I just can't stop rhyming and I don't know what to do! Fark!
Dunno, I've had good luck with cubanelle/italian frying peppers. Always have to grow some so we can have frying pepper sandwiches.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Dunno, I've had good luck with cubanelle/italian frying peppers. Always have to grow some so we can have frying pepper sandwiches.
Thanks for the tip. I've never even heard of them. I'm definitely speaking from limited experience.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
When I prep I buy stuff I use. When I garden I grow stuff I will eat. Bell and hot peppers usually are what I eat most.

Midas Member
Midas Member
Survivor
Reaction score
Only 15% of the USA’s food supply is imported. Ceased exports of USA grown food can easily cover that shortfall. If there are food shortages in the USA it will definitely be engineered for political reasons.
Don’t bet on it. The drought is expanding east. Severe. Cross checking with the Ag figures, they state a reduction of 40 percent livestock feed.

andial

Stable Republican
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Too many fatsos, bring it.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Someone just told me about "dilly beans" - evidently you can can beans just like dill pickles. Add a little jalapeño to make it interesting.
The major advantage to this is the way they can be canned. Making dilly beans you are effectively pickling them, so you are able to can them with the hot water bath method which is much easier than pressure canning. Green beans (and corn) by themselves are not acidic enough to be water bath canned, and must be pressure canned.

Though freezing beans and corn tends to be an easier method of preservation yet.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The major advantage to this is the way they can be canned. Making dilly beans you are effectively pickling them, so you are able to can them with the hot water bath method which is much easier than pressure canning. Green beans (and corn) by themselves are not acidic enough to be water bath canned, and must be pressure canned.

Though freezing beans and corn tends to be an easier method of preservation yet.
one issue with this recipe is the beans come in early and the jalapeno peppers come in much later.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
None of this is accidental. Looking more and more like it is planned.

Australia Passes Bill Prohibiting Citizens From Growing Their Own Food And Expanding Federal Powers To Seize Livestock…​

VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA: Premier Dan Andrews is passing a bill that prohibits people from growing their own food.

The Agriculture Legislation Amendment Bill 2022 has had its second reading in parliament. Biosecurity is stated as the reason for changes.

Last edited:

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
And out of this, always, rises up a new figure. The center of a Cult of Personality - and almost-certainly, obsessed with garnering power over others.

Who? We probably don't know him, yet. Such people are always about. Lyndon LaRouche would have ridden this chaos into some sort of emperor-ship, had it happened in the 1980s. Douglas MacArthur would have loved his chance. Perhaps George Wallace, in the 1960s. To say nothing of all the failed painters, beat poets, rock singers doing club dates, that we've never heard of.

Corporal Adolf Hitler was one such failure - convinced his destiny was to be the next Monet, he went to Vienna to paint and live the bohemian life. Instead, he lived on the street, penniless...for lack of talent.

He discovered his transformational talents, later.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Australia Passes Bill Prohibiting Citizens From Growing Their Own Food And Expanding Federal Powers To Seize Livestock…​

VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA: Premier Dan Andrews is passing a bill that prohibits people from growing their own food.

The Agriculture Legislation Amendment Bill 2022 has had its second reading in parliament. Biosecurity is stated as the reason for changes.

What does it mean when they say they 'passed a bill' in OZ? Is it now law or just another bill being passed along?

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Putting all the pieces together makes for an interesting pattern, wouldn't you say?

1652195118275.png

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I suspect this is the one the antichrist will rise from.
I keep hearing that term bandied about over and over. I do know what the term references being from the bible and all but, what exactly is an anti christ? What's the logical (logic is of little use when speaking about religion but work with me here) definition of an anti christ?

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Australia Passes Bill Prohibiting Citizens From Growing Their Own Food And Expanding Federal Powers To Seize Livestock…
The media outlet originating this claim ought to at least include text from the bill and the logic behind reaching their click-bait conclusion. Yes, there's a link to the bill, The bill mostly amends another bill and without intimate knowledge of the other bill, there is no deciphering what this new bill does (which I imagine is exactly what the politicians want). Even with the text of this new bill available, it would take hours to fact-check the claim of prohibiting people from growing their own food. This should be researched and laid out by whoever wrote the article. Without that, this claim is no better that all of the random emotional tweets that are all over the place.

andial

Stable Republican
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I keep hearing that term bandied about over and over. I do know what the term references being from the bible and all but, what exactly is an anti christ? What's the logical (logic is of little use when speaking about religion but work with me here) definition of an anti christ?
What better way for the people to be shown than the anti-christ appearing and taking over humanity? Am I Right? Will you people just relax! Trump and the military are monitoring it all, in fact they have it all, round ups coming, be patient. Trust the plan.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The Antichrist...the opposite of the Christ (Christ is not a name, but Latin or Aramaic for "The Savior."

(Jesus of Nazareth was proclaimed, later, as the promised Christ. But his name, as on the tax roles, would have been Jesus, son of Joseph, of Nazarath).

The Antichrist is to prepare the way for Satan's onslaught.

How much of this do I believe? I take no stance.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The Antichrist...the opposite of the Christ (Christ is not a name, but Latin or Aramaic for "The Savior."

(Jesus of Nazareth was proclaimed, later, as the promised Christ. But his name, as on the tax roles, would have been Jesus, son of Joseph, of Nazarath).

The Antichrist is to prepare the way for Satan's onslaught.

How much of this do I believe? I take no stance.
Me neither brother, me neither. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle between the bible thumpers and the pagans!

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
What better way for the people to be shown than the anti-christ appearing and taking over humanity? Am I Right? Will you people just relax! Trump and the military are monitoring it all, in fact they have it all, round ups coming, be patient. Trust the plan.
With all due respect andial and assuming you might actually be serious ( a long shot at best), one thing I've learned in this life is, if 'it' seems too sensational to be true it probably is and 'it' won't never happen.

If I'm proven wrong (that would be awesome), so be it....I'll stand here and take my lumps. I just checked, no lumps so far!

SongSungAU

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The media outlet originating this claim ought to at least include text from the bill and the logic behind reaching their click-bait conclusion. Yes, there's a link to the bill, The bill mostly amends another bill and without intimate knowledge of the other bill, there is no deciphering what this new bill does (which I imagine is exactly what the politicians want). Even with the text of this new bill available, it would take hours to fact-check the claim of prohibiting people from growing their own food. This should be researched and laid out by whoever wrote the article. Without that, this claim is no better that all of the random emotional tweets that are all over the place.

The VFF is aware of misinformation being circulated amongst the community regarding the Agriculture Amendment Bill 2022 which is currently before the Victorian Parliament.

The VFF received a briefing from the government prior to the introduction of the Bill and the VFF understands the intentions behind all changes to legislation that the Bill proposes.

The Agriculture Amendment Bill 2022 is a complex and varied piece of legislation that seeks to amend 11 separate Acts. There are a number of changes that the VFF supports including improvements to biosecurity enforcement.

Misinformation about the Bill suggests the authorised officers will be able to undertake searches without a warrant, without landholder consent and without the requirement to present identification. The VFF believes this misrepresents and misinterprets the amendments set out in the Bill.

We have been informed that further information is being prepared by Agriculture Victoria to clarify the provisions of the Bill. We will make this information available to VFF members once it is published.

VFF members seeking more information about the proposed legislation are encouraged to read the Victorian Parliament Hansard which includes the Lower House debate on the Bill from Tuesday 3 May.

The Bill and the Minister’s Second Reading Speech can be accessed here.

Further enquires can be directed to VFF General Manager – Policy Charles Everist on 0400199522.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

I would consider that a direct threat to my life and Liberty and proceed accordingly

.41Dave

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation, but figure if food gets scarce, those deer are probably going to get thinned down pretty fast.

During the depression, deer and other wild game nearly went extinct in large swaths of the country. There will probably be a lot of hungry, desperate and incompetent people in those woods if everything goes south

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
During the depression, deer and other wild game nearly went extinct in large swaths of the country. There will probably be a lot of hungry, desperate and incompetent people in those woods if everything goes south
Aka Zombie Apocalypse

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Everyone says if things get bad they will grow a garden , hunt and fish. Its not that simple. growing a garden and keeping it safe form weather, disease and predators can be challenging. It would take massive amounts of produce to freeze and can to feed a family through a year. As you said the deer will go extinct quickly and lakes will get fished out. When I went over Falls Lake the other evening there were 20 cars parked with people fishing over the side of the bridge. Another issue is the price of animal feed.

My chickens cost way more to feed than eggs cost in the store. I'm realizing its time to look at this from a more organic perspective. I need to learn to make my own fertilizer from chicken poop and figure out how to feed chickens without store bought food. Free roaming is not possible here but I'm sure there are solutions.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
1) Gather poop
2) Put in dirt
:secret:
its not that easy. I did it once and killed my plants. I got to talk to the composting guy at the museum. He explained different compost to me. Chicken poop needs to be 50/50 with grass clippings and sit for a season while being turned on occasion. I'm thinking about a worm bed too.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
its not that easy. I did it once and killed my plants. I got to talk to the composting guy at the museum. He explained different compost to me. Chicken poop needs to be 50/50 with grass clippings and sit for a season while being turned on occasion. I'm thinking about a worm bed too.
Ms. Avalon, it sounds like you already know how to make it. :green tea:
:dog: