• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Collective mind thoughts on food shortages.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
The key to using chicken shit is to till it into the garden in fall, after everything is harvested. It will break down enough over fall/winter/spring to not burn your garden.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The key to using chicken shit is to till it into the garden in fall, after everything is harvested. It will break down enough over fall/winter/spring to not burn your garden.
^ this guy definitely has a green thong.... thumb!. Green thumb.

Damn avatard.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
thanks coop.. Mine will be mixed with hay from the chicken coop. I assume you use it sparingly?

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
blame it on spellcheck. That is what happened to me when I called a group of ladies on a nasty forum COWS. It was an accident of course.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I would use it spaeringly. if you know where you will plant what veg the next yr, heavy feeder plant areas can take a bit more. adding in fall should work esp well in your area, with the ample moisture and good soil temps. I assume your soil doesnt freeze solid in winter. As long as the soil is moist, and not frozen it will be breaking down. Lack of moisture and freeze stops the process. Also mixing the shit or using as bedding- hardwood chips- will reduce the chance of burning. decomposing wood pulls nitrogen from the soil as part of its process. hay pulls N too, but to a lesser extent.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I would use it spaeringly. if you know where you will plant what veg the next yr, heavy feeder plant areas can take a bit more. adding in fall should work esp well in your area, with the ample moisture and good soil temps. I assume your soil doesnt freeze solid in winter. As long as the soil is moist, and not frozen it will be breaking down. Lack of moisture and freeze stops the process. Also mixing the shit or using as bedding- hardwood chips- will reduce the chance of burning. decomposing wood pulls nitrogen from the soil as part of its process. hay pulls N too, but to a lesser extent.
We do get some hard freeze but it normally isn't until February and doesn't last long. It worth a try.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Everyone says if things get bad they will grow a garden , hunt and fish. Its not that simple. growing a garden and keeping it safe form weather, disease and predators can be challenging. It would take massive amounts of produce to freeze and can to feed a family through a year. As you said the deer will go extinct quickly and lakes will get fished out. When I went over Falls Lake the other evening there were 20 cars parked with people fishing over the side of the bridge. Another issue is the price of animal feed.

My chickens cost way more to feed than eggs cost in the store. I'm realizing its time to look at this from a more organic perspective. I need to learn to make my own fertilizer from chicken poop and figure out how to feed chickens without store bought food. Free roaming is not possible here but I'm sure there are solutions.
It is why I have not tried. I have no land; but there's some "Community Garden" plots in various areas of town. I could get a plot and plant some things...but the work, the hassle, the trouble in not being able to closely watch/fence the garden...and the cost-per-calorie, all suggest it's futile.

I have food stores. Four months' worth. In that time, when they're gone, if we haven't figured out a New Normal, a way to grow or buy food...it'll be time for Hemlock.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I can do alot of gardening (have done 2 acres by hand before), making food, I have a knack for it. from starting (and saving) seed, into the garden and then cropping, harvie, canning, drying freezing, lactoferm, etc THEN winter storage. I have land, I have water.........everything is in place, ill do more this yr even, some of it coming on into weeds.

To me, having done it before, its just alot of work. I have been getting a bit older, im liking sitting around smoking joints, drinking chai tea w milk and sugar, in the shade, it sure beats standing out in the sun (and wind).

Im gonna be really pissed if there is no food in the store (no beer in the liquor store)..........but ill be fed.

Even if you know how to do it and have the gear its alot of work.

Im not sure most folk are up to it.

If it goes down, ill definitely need a chiropractor.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Even if you know how to do it and have the gear its alot of work.
Amen to that.

First, the land, and all the costs entailed.

Then, the seeds...the tools, often including rototillers or mechanical garden implements/tractors. Alternatively, hoe a row, like they do in Pakistan. Lotsa time.

The time. In my situation, the cost in fuel in hauling garden supplies to the plot - again and again.

Specialization is a marvelous thing. I drove trains, and left the farming to people who had the equipment, land and know-how. Once we all have to do everything ourselves...our standard of living, including what's in the pantry, dives WAY down.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with hoeing weeds. Ive never seen a weed that was immune to the plow. When you see em go get em, that a few hours of everyday. the bigger they get the harder they are hoe/kill, the stems get thicker. if you wait too long for example to kill your weeds, then it rains, by the time it dries out and you can hoe weeds again, they will be big. It just makes life harder.

Its alot of work man.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with hoeing weeds. Ive never seen a weed that was immune to the plow. When you see em go get em, that a few hours of everyday. the bigger they get the harder they are hoe/kill, the stems get thicker. if you wait too long for example to kill your weeds, then it rains, by the time it dries out and you can hoe weeds again, they will be big. It just makes life harder.

Its alot of work man.
Nothing wrong with it.

It's about the cost-effectiveness. And the cost, in terms of supplies, transport to the garden site, etc.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone says if things get bad they will grow a garden , hunt and fish. Its not that simple. growing a garden and keeping it safe form weather, disease and predators can be challenging. It would take massive amounts of produce to freeze and can to feed a family through a year. As you said the deer will go extinct quickly and lakes will get fished out. When I went over Falls Lake the other evening there were 20 cars parked with people fishing over the side of the bridge. Another issue is the price of animal feed.

My chickens cost way more to feed than eggs cost in the store. I'm realizing its time to look at this from a more organic perspective. I need to learn to make my own fertilizer from chicken poop and figure out how to feed chickens without store bought food. Free roaming is not possible here but I'm sure there are solutions.
I'll send you the millipedes that are eating my potatos....

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

TN_Preacher

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Reminds me of what wife and I did one year. We had lost all our chickens about 10 years ago, Coyotes, Fox, Bobcats, Hawks, Owls, Coons, you name it. So we went and planted all corn where the chickens use to live. We truly had 12 ft stalks in the chicken pen. It was some of the biggest and best corn we ever had.
And we've come up with better ways to protect our hens now, and to reduce the predator population, while at the same time also feeding the turkey buzzards :)

Agavegirl1

Gold Chaser
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
One site I use has the #10 can of butter powder on sale.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
1652326517049.png

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Reminds me of what wife and I did one year. We had lost all our chickens about 10 years ago, Coyotes, Fox, Bobcats, Hawks, Owls, Coons, you name it. So we went and planted all corn where the chickens use to live. We truly had 12 ft stalks in the chicken pen. It was some of the biggest and best corn we ever had.
And we've come up with better ways to protect our hens now, and to reduce the predator population, while at the same time also feeding the turkey buzzards :)
Nothing that free roams here lives long. If the fox and raccoons don't get them the hawks will. We try and relocate predators when possible. The exception being copperheads. I have found copperheads in the chicken pen twice. In fantasy farming and prepping you don't get bitten by copperheads or eaten alive by fire ants. Ticks are a huge issue too because of all the pine trees. I used to average about 20 tick bites a year. I did break down and spray and my next door neighbor bought flocks of free roaming Guinea hens and the ticks are not as bad. Now I'm down to about two or three tick bites a year. We have a huge turkey buzzard population here. They just put up a 5 G tower in downtown and its covered in turkey buzzards. It was like something out of a Stephen King novel.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
any idea how to keep them away without the use of pesticides?
No , but they drive me crazy. We only get them on certain years but when they come they are bad. One year they started getting in the house. Its the only time I used pesticide. I ended up using seven dust and made a perimeter inside and did spray around the outside.

Midas Member
Midas Member
Survivor
Reaction score
Hey numbers, long time man. Good to see you back and posting!
Dropped In momentarily. Currently engaged in the battle of my lifetime ( not health related). Epic, tragic, more twist and turns than I care to deal with, but reporting I have gained the high ground in a war where there can be absolutely no winners, only survivors.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Dropped In momentarily. Currently engaged in the battle of my lifetime ( not health related). Epic, tragic, more twist and turns than I care to deal with, but reporting I have gained the high ground in a war where there can be absolutely no winners, only survivors.
Johnny is that you???

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score

There are wild chickens all over Miami and the Keys. The Haitans wiped out that land crabs in Dania years ago, but am surprised the yardbirds thrive. We can also eat iguanas when we get tired of lobster tail and grouper.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Me neither brother, me neither. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle between the bible thumpers and the pagans!
And it is so ethnocentric as to be startling; how do you think 600 million Sikhs look upon this "Western" religion's natterings? And the Hindus? And the Shintos? And the muslims?

Are they ALL in the shit (majority of humanity) becuz they din' git the Word? Pretty dang pompous on the part of some folks to arrogate the Only Way, ainnit?

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
There are wild chickens all over Miami and the Keys. The Haitans wiped out that land crabs in Dania years ago, but am surprised the yardbirds thrive. We can also eat iguanas when we get tired of lobster tail and grouper.
You forgot to mention Boa and gator meat too.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Good luck to you sir, Gods speed and my best hopes that you overcome your challenges!!

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The chickens survive in the keys because people don't eat them and they are protected by the govt. Hell, when the island got overpopulated with chickens, instead of using them to feed the abundant homeless population they instead hired a "chicken catcher" to humanely trap chickens then ship them to a chicken preserve on the mainland.

Fatboy

Site Supporter
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The chickens survive in the keys because people don't eat them and they are protected by the govt. Hell, when the island got overpopulated with chickens, instead of using them to feed the abundant homeless population they instead hired a "chicken catcher" to humanely trap chickens then ship them to a chicken preserve on the mainland.
We will have to wait and see how "the bird flu" effects these chickens because they are protected by the local .Gov and not subject to being killed off.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Where I live was originally total swamp. TINS. Then canals were cut, roads paved, and voila! Large, affordable acre+ lots with canals within a couple of hundred feet or less. So whut? Well them there canals have bass, catfish, sunfish, turtles, Jack Dempsey fish, carp, yada in them. Oh. And about 1/5 of the properties have a pond on them... all full of fish. (BTW: I have a cast net.) There are usually a half-dozen dove and and equal number of squirrels in my back yard all day.

Betwixt access to a deep well even without power, edible fruits on trees everywhere (almost forgot coconuts piled high) and an endless supply of easily acquired food, I see no reason to move out. I have picked my hill to die on.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
does anyone have an explanation for the Walmart eggs?

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
does anyone have an explanation for the Walmart eggs?
Thank God I don't rely Walmart eggs. Walmart is clearly an agent of the swamp and seems to be cooperating in the 'food shortage' government scam. There are locals everywhere around here who raise chickens and sell their eggs. Eggs aren't a concern, up here anyway

Last edited:

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the idea of introducing rabbits to our area. We don't have any rabbits in our area (that I've seen) although there is ample food, water and space. We have quite a few foxes, but no other predators except the flying kind or the domesticated kind. I'm not currently interested in raising rabbits in hutches for food right now; but wouldn't mind there being a wild population that could be grown/eaten should the time come.

I raised rabbits for pets as a kid using hutches I built; but what I was thinking here is building a few underground rabbit warrens around our property; picking up a few meat rabbits, setting them loose, and letting em do their thing. Anybody have any experience into doing that or thoughts?

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
ya know, I think we NEED some food shortages around here. Bought my kid some "slim" fit khakis to wear to a banquet this weekend. Get the damned things and the length is right, but there are a solid 2 inches of gap around the waist. And thats with the "slim fit" And mind you, my kid is short (15% percentile) and not underweight. He just isn't fat. Finding close that fit a healthy kid is getting difficult.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
ya know, I think we NEED some food shortages around here. Bought my kid some "slim" fit khakis to wear to a banquet this weekend. Get the damned things and the length is right, but there are a solid 2 inches of gap around the waist. And thats with the "slim fit" And mind you, my kid is short (15% percentile) and not underweight. He just isn't fat. Finding close that fit a healthy kid is getting difficult.
Are they not sold with a waist size?

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Not surprising since 3/4 of the American population is shaped like a bowling ball

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Are they not sold with a waist size?
He is still in the sizes based on age. They do list a waist size for them which would be correct but it isnt accurate.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
He is still in the sizes based on age. They do list a waist size for them which would be correct but it isnt accurate.
Ahh...been a while.

I'm personally loose-fitting kind of guy. Baggy even. Feeling constricted enclosed is one of the most uncomfortable things for me.

I'd be thankful to have the waste going in that direction because they can always be hemmed in and adjusted easier than made wider.

Good fitting pants are worth their weight in gold.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I had bought 6 bags of fertilizer for the lawn, im leaning now to save in case i have to grow veggies