• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Colt suspending production of AR-15 for civilians

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Yeah, I saw that. Colts were considered the "gold standard" among various groups. They are quality, but they aren't perfect either. I have had a glitch or two with a couple of them but nothing that isn't fixable. Glad we have other good choices.

Here is a picture of my mother shooting a Class 3 Colt in 1987 on Mother's Day. She wanted to go shooting and that was all I had with me at the time.

family Mom shooting machine gun on mother's day.jpg

SC

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Colt suspends production of AR-15 for civilian market

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Gunmaker Colt says it is suspending its production of rifles for the civilian market including the popular AR-15.
Colt’s chief executive officer, Dennis Veilleux, says it is not permanently ending production but believes there is already an adequate supply of sporting rifles on the market. He said in a statement Thursday the company will concentrate on fulfilling military and law enforcement contracts with its rifle manufacturing.
The West Hartford, Connecticut-based company has received some criticism from gun rights advocates for moving away from the civilian market.
Veilleux said in the statement the company remains committed to the Second Amendment and is adapting to consumer demand.
A national gun control debate has focused on access to AR-15s and other assault-style rifles because of their use in mass shootings.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I always thought Colt was overpriced and over prized. Never felt the need to spend the xtra money for Colt branding with so many other great and less expensive firearm options out there.

Last edited:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Colt is the Cadillac brand in firearms better or worse your going to pay and sell for more, kinda like the premium on some gold semi-numismatic coins......I have contacts at colt but i dont even have to ask them, colt is a financially struggling company and profit margins on AR-15s are just not there for Colt ....in Colts struggle to survive they are rolling out some "throw back" snake guns such as the cobra ...and now the king cobra...and possibly the python/anaconda but these new guns while premium to the current market are not of the hand-built quality of the originals in most cases...

point is colt cant afford to keep making AR-15s without huge govenment contracts for support and is seeking to survive elsewhere

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Screw colt, ill stick with my rock river rifles.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
palmetto state armory wants your business. I have 2 from them. Nice freedom rifles

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The market is full of people making AR-15's, by-bye Colt.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Guise; right now, as we speak, dims all over the communist world are celibate. It's true. Nobody wants to sleep with nasty smelly lazy drug addicts.

Not only that but they are all having a good time, patting each other on the backs, then, some smarter one of the bunch observes that most of the gun world just doesn;t give a shit about Colt and what they make or don't make!

then, the tears flow.

and, I giggle!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
had some words with a colt insider this wkend....the scoop on this is Colt got a 42mil dollar govenment m-4 military contract so they are suspending new production of civilian ar-15 parts in favor of the contract ...but they have enough parts on hand to assemble ~150k ar-15s if demand is there ..during the contract period.....they will continue to develop and produce pistols and revolvers uninterrupted at this point ......hate to post unverified info but this is the scoop per say

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
who owns Colt?

Through the company's subsidiaries, Colt's Manufacturing makes handguns (Cowboy, Pocket Nine, Defender) and semiautomatic rifles (M-4). Colt's Manufacturing boasts more than a dozen distributors throughout Europe, Asia, and Australia. Founded in 1836 by Samuel Colt, the company is about 85%-owned by investment firm Zilkha & Co., which has been breathing new life into the company since 1994 when it bought the firm out of bankruptcy.

Zilkha & Company is a private equity firm based in NYC focusing on LBO and VC transaction.

Zilkha & Company has been in the Merchant Banking business since 1985. It provides capital resource to public and private companies in the United States and Europe. Its field of investment interest are LBO and VC type investments in the consumer goods, specialty chemicals, defense, software, high tech, insurance, and other businesses.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/38507-who-owns-colt-foreign.html

Who is Zilkha & Co?

Donald Zilkha

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Donald Zilkha
Born

Donald Elias Zilkha
New York City, US
Alma mater Wesleyan UniversityOccupation financierSpouse(s) Valerie Kleinprintz (divorced)Parent(s) Ezra Zilkha
Cecile InyRelatives Khedouri Zilkha (grandfather)
Donald Elias Zilkha (born April 8, 1951) is an American financier and entrepreneur. He was born in New York and was a graduate of Wesleyan University He founded Zilkha & Company (1987) and Zilkha Venture Partners (1999) and Zilkha Partners (2008).

Early life
Donald Zilkha (born April 8,1951) is an financier and entrepreneur. He is the son of Ezra Zilkha. The Zilkha family were highly respected bankers from the Middle East[1]. The patriarch Khedouri Zilkha established the bank in 1899. The family was nationalized in three countries, from 1950 to 1956 (Iraq, Syria and Egypt) and were forced to rebuild in the US and Europe. Zilkha attended Lycee Franais de New York before attending high school at The Hill School. He entered Weslyan University where he graduated from the College of Social Studies, a multi disciplinary honors program in 1973

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Zilkha

They'll resume selling to civilians as soon as they get their .gov contracts filled. I've always been a fan of Colt and they are often misquoted and villianized in the media - Just like President Trump.

Plus, I think it's human nature to throw stones at the Cadillac. It makes us feel a little bit better about our Chevy. ;) Just sayin . . .

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
They'll resume selling to civilians as soon as they get their .gov contracts filled. I've always been a fan of Colt and they are often misquoted and villianized in the media - Just like President Trump.

Plus, I think it's human nature to throw stones at the Cadillac. It makes us feel a little bit better about our Chevy. ;) Just sayin . . .
The only difference between a Cadillac and a Chevy is the marketing story. Just sayin...

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
A mass contract lowest bidder unit =/= a "cadillac"........................moar liek a chevy nova!

that said, a well tuned 327 duece coupe is a giant killer when it's set up correctly. it will still ride like a DC-3 at full throttle on a freshly mowed runway.

somewhere in the south pacific.

what else?

oh yeah

ar-15;s are still poodle guns best suited for cat eradication

yeah I have some.......I would still grab the FN-FAL first.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Colt had experienced hands at one time, real smiths, putting out very fine arms,

but every time mgt got into trouble, they would lose some, until now where there are virtually none left

was a day when their stuff was top shelf, and now, it is a victim of corporatism, and hedge funding.

they no longer have the cache' they so earned over the years

it is not unique, as many companies have lost their roots and given in to the modern financialization schemes with the promises of riches beyond belief,

problem is, those riches were there, they just were not told they didn't have a account at that bank.

stripped and tossed aside, like so many others

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Colt had experienced hands at one time, real smiths, putting out very fine arms,

but every time mgt got into trouble, they would lose some, until now where there are virtually none left

was a day when their stuff was top shelf, and now, it is a victim of corporatism, and hedge funding.

they no longer have the cache' they so earned over the years

it is not unique, as many companies have lost their roots and given in to the modern financialization schemes with the promises of riches beyond belief,

problem is, those riches were there, they just were not told they didn't have a account at that bank.

stripped and tossed aside, like so many others
The other side of that real smiths argument is CNC machining and Six Sigma, which could be a good investment, along with that $42 MegaFRN contract.

After all, the AR is a modular weapons system...