• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Comic Books

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Big Man Plans #1 everyone go over to eBay and purchase a copy .....it's a great book.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
S. Clay Wilson isn't quite as presentable as some of the others shown here but he was popular in the day. This is the most presentable page I could find of his work, they go downhill from here, way downhill.
As I alluded to earlier in this thread we will be seeing S Clay (and others) in my screed on Graphic Novels I am going to be posting in The Cigar Room later this winter or early next year.

Stay tuned,
BF

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
As I alluded to earlier in this thread we will be seeing S Clay (and others) in my screed on Graphic Novels I am going to be posting in The Cigar Room later this winter or early next year.

Stay tuned,
BF
I've got the entire Neil Gaiman Sandman series, which has to be close to the pinnacle of graphic novels.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
A tool of the trade in the comic book hobby.................................

DSCI1401.JPG

An Overstreet comic grading guide using the 10-pt grading scale. I bought it because I want to be able to grade comic books on my own especially if I decide to pursue this as a side business in addition to my current 70's silver art bar side business on ebay. You can buy these online at sites such as Amazon ($23-$26) but I bought mine on ebay because I wanted to use my ebucks and my 20% coupon. I paid $19.33 for it on ebay.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
do you have a guide that gives values and mintage of comic books?

A tool of the trade in the comic book hobby.................................

View attachment 94604
An Overstreet comic grading guide using the 10-pt grading scale. I bought it because I want to be able to grade comic books on my own especially if I decide to pursue this as a side business in addition to my current 70's silver art bar side business on ebay. You can buy these online at sites such as Amazon ($23-$26) but I bought mine on ebay because I wanted to use my ebucks and my 20% coupon. I paid $19.33 for it on ebay.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
do you have a guide that gives values and mintage of comic books?

I currently do not have a comic book guidebook that gives values and mintages of comics but I might eventually get one. Overstreet produces a comic guidebook but I do not know how often it comes out. However, given the nature of the world wide web and especially with ebay, those values can be looked up online and, in most cases, are probably more accurate than a printed guidebook IMO.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
As of today (October 20, 2017), I have a total of 3,531 comic books in my collection. In addition, I also have 22 comic trade paperbacks. Essentially, I have created a comic book "library" of my favorite comic books that I can pull out and read anytime that I want when I have free time. Creating that "comic book library" was the main point of returning to the comic book hobby and I have accomplished that and I will continue to buy comic books in the forseeable future (mainly certain new comic book issues that come out each month). I large percentage of my collection is spider-man comic books but I have a lot of other comic book characters that I love reading as well.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
As of yesterday (October 27, 2017), I have a total off 4,011 comic books in my collection. At this point, my wish list is much smaller than it was a month ago since I bought 1,001 comic books between September 26, 2017 and October 27, 2017. That also includes a lot of most recent (last two months) and certain current Marvel, DC and Indie comic book issues. At this point, I have slowed down my comic book purchasing since I bought most of the back issues that I was looking for. I still have a comic book wish list (has about 250 - 300 comic book issues listed) but that will take a while to get those and I am not in a rush .

I read most of my comic book trade paperbacks in ther last month or so but I will start reading my comic books now since I have a large comic book library with many choices to choose from. I have achieved my goal of building a large comic book collection and I will begin to enjoy the fruits of my labor. In addition, I will also read that Overstreet comic book grading guide that I bought over 2 weeks ago to get a feel of grading comic books.

As for buying comic books, I will now concentrate on certain future comic book issues when they come out. The current ongoing comic book titles that I will concentrate on are Spider-Man (Peter Parker Spider-Man, Miles Morales Spider-Man), America, Luke Cage and All-New Wolverine (female Wolverine).

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
View attachment 92793

Oldest one I have there Ghostrider 31. Smells ancient in a good way.
I bought a Ghost Rider # 31 comic book among several Ghost Rider comic books on Thursday (October 26, 2017) at one of the local comic book shops. That particular comic book shop was clearing up more space for more comic books and gaming stuff and they had a clearance sale on a lot of older back issue comic books including Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk and Avengers (Avengers and West Coast Avengers) to name a few comics books that they had on sale. Those comic books were only a $1.00 (usually are $3.50 - $5.00 per comic book) and I loaded up on a lot of Ghost Rider (Vol. 1) and West Coast Avengers among other comic book titles. I plan to go back to that particular local comic book shop to see if they put out more back issue comic books for $1.00. That particular day (10-26-2017) was a good day for me as a comic book collector.

I read digital comics now. They are just digitalized copies of the print versions. Got a subscription where I paid $65 for unlimited Marvel Comics. Reading "Old Man Logan" and "Thanos" right now. Love X-Men, Avengers, and Green Lantern.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I read digital comics now. They are just digitalized copies of the print versions. Got a subscription where I paid $65 for unlimited Marvel Comics. Reading "Old Man Logan" and "Thanos" right now. Love X-Men, Avengers, and Green Lantern.
I am "old school" when it comes to reading physical paper comic books. However, with new comic book issues (regular and "variant" cover versions) at $2.99 - $3.99 per comic book, a digital subscroption would probably make sense for some people. It would probably make sense for old comic (silver age and golden age comics) since those can get very pricy depending on condition.

Is that $65 a yearly subscription?

I am "old school" when it comes to reading physical paper comic books. However, with new comic book issues (regular and "variant" cover versions) at $2.99 - $3.99 per comic book, a digital subscroption would probably make sense for some people. It would probably make sense for old comic (silver age and golden age comics) since those can get very pricy depending on condition.

Is that $65 a yearly subscription?
Yes, a yearly subscription.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yes, a yearly subscription.

I might look into a digital subscription in the future since, despite my large physical comic book selection, there are some issues that I am missing that I do not plan to get due to the current price for a particular issue (i.e. key issue, 1st appearance of a major character, etc.) and that subscription might come in handy for me for a situation like that. I think that a digital subscription is useful for new and most recent (2015 and newer) comic book issues since prices are now between $2.99 and $3.99 per comic book issue for most comic book issues. That is something for me to think about in the future especially when new comic book issues come out each month (or every two weeks for some issues).

I might look into a digital subscription in the future since, despite my large physical comic book selection, there are some issues that I am missing that I do not plan to get due to the current price for a particular issue (i.e. key issue, 1st appearance of a major character, etc.) and that subscription might come in handy for me for a situation like that. I think that a digital subscription is useful for new and most recent (2015 and newer) comic book issues since prices are now between $2.99 and $3.99 per comic book issue for most comic book issues. That is something for me to think about in the future especially when new comic book issues come out each month (or every two weeks for some issues).
I gave up on print a few years ago because of space and the $3.99 price tag. I am happy with my subscription. Wish DC would do something similar but they haven't yet.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I gave up on print a few years ago because of space and the $3.99 price tag. I am happy with my subscription. Wish DC would do something similar but they haven't yet.
I paid a $1 or less each for a vast majority of the comic book issues that currently have in my collection (consists of 4,737 comic book issues as of 11-11-2017). I mainly have back issues from the 1970's to the early 2000's that I bought for cheap. However, with new comic book issues, it is nearly impossible to avoid the $3.99 price tag unless one waits a long while for it to end in the $1 or $.50 bargain bin. I do not currently have many new issues and those new issues make up a tiny fraction of my entire collection. There are just certain super hero titles that I like (Spider-Man is my favorite) that I will buy new issues for but I am very picky. I have slowed down buying back issues but I started buying a few new issues but some of them are DC and independent titles. I like Marvel comic super heroes more than I do the DC ones.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Rare comic book featuring Superman's first appearance that sold for 10 cents in 1938 is expected to fetch up to $1.2 MILLION at auction
  • The comic is a 1938 copy of Action Comics #1
  • It's claimed to be in 'fine/very fine condition'
  • Another copy of the same comic book fetched $3 million at auction in 2014

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5092911/Rare-comic-showing-Supermans-1st-appearance-auctioned.html#ixzz4yiOKVTPc
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Generally speaking, the higher the comic condition, the higher the price. A comic book like Action Comics #1 could be all over the place but condition plays a HUGE part in that equation. If that Action Comics #1 graded an "8.0" (out of 10.0), then it would go for much more than 1.2 million on auction IMO.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

I am guessing that is a bronze-age comic (early to mid-1970's???). I mention that because of the cover price. Most of the silver-age (1955-1969) that I have seen (and currently have in my collection) have cover prices of 10 cents and 12 cents.

Well I just found out that Wolverine is back from the dead. After three years he's back. I've been stacking Adamantium for his inevitable return.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well I just found out that Wolverine is back from the dead. After three years he's back. I've been stacking Adamantium for his inevitable return.

That is interesting. I did not know that he even died. When I left the comic book hobby 20 years ago, Wolverine had bone claws (stripped of his adamantium by Magneto in XMen #25??). I have a lot of catching up to do.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Never realized there were so many fellow comic book enthusiasts here. :)

I've been stacking comics almost since I was able to read them(early '70s) and have rarely parted with any. The first books I distinctly remember getting into were mostly Marvel books...offshoots of Fantastic Four. I recall reading lots of Guardians of the Galaxy, Inhumans, and Nova, but I think my all time favorite character is Batman...Dark Knight style...Robin is kind of a punk.

I didn't pick up a comic book til my mid 20's. Have been a fan of both Marvel and DC ever since. I stopped stacking them about five years ago but recently got an online subscription and have been reading a lot every night for the past week. I now enjoy being just a reader than a collector now. I am attached to my books though, as I don't seem to be able to get rid of them even though most of them are not worth much at all.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I've sold a ton at atomic avenue over the years, but their obsession with paypal eventually soured me on them. Back in the day making bank on comics seemed like a no-brainer. I mean 70's books were in the bargain bin for years on end...often priced below cover even while the silver age stuff was exploding in value.

I recall loading up on stuff like Kirby's Sandman, Shade the Changing Man, Demon, Kamandi, etc while they were 5 for a buck and the like. I think all of that stuff is worth many times that now, but I haven't really kept track.

From what I know there are a few key dates in the 70's that are worth over $1,000. Other than that you gotta go to the Silver age for big money. You have to get it slabbed also if you want to get top dollar.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My top books from that time frame were keys like ASM #129(first punisher), Captain America 100, early Thor books, Tales to Astonish, Fantastic Four #48-50(1st Silver Surfer), Marvel Feature, Marvel Super-Heroes, Marvel Spotlight, that kewl Iron man-Subby 1 shot that predates both modern series.

Oh and tomb of dracula #1 was a few bux back then but has done real well since. Stuff like that. None of them are worth a whole huge bundle, but they were all cheap to acquire at the time. So rather than chase after any obviously super expensive treasures like Amazing Fantasy 15 or Detective 27, etc...I focused on things nobody seemed to want, but which I thought had potential.

Those are some great books you snagged. You must have got the first Galactus issue with FF #48 which I always wanted. I still want Giant Size X-Men #1 in a nice grade. It's about the same price as an ounce of gold so that might be a tough decision if I stumble across it!

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I like Norrin Radd as a comic book character so silver surfer stuff was a no brainer. I believe that was the most I ever paid for a book...50 bux or so and it was long ago. I also really enjoyed anything with Adam Warlock in it so had to land those early FF books.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
From what I know there are a few key dates in the 70's that are worth over $1,000. Other than that you gotta go to the Silver age for big money. You have to get it slabbed also if you want to get top dollar.
I have to agree with this, however, condition plays a large part in the worth of an old comic book IMO.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My top books from that time frame were keys like ASM #129(first punisher), Captain America 100, early Thor books, Tales to Astonish, Fantastic Four #48-50(1st Silver Surfer), Marvel Feature, Marvel Super-Heroes, Marvel Spotlight, that kewl Iron man-Subby 1 shot that predates both modern series.

Oh and tomb of dracula #1 was a few bux back then but has done real well since. Stuff like that. None of them are worth a whole huge bundle, but they were all cheap to acquire at the time. So rather than chase after any obviously super expensive treasures like Amazing Fantasy 15 or Detective 27, etc...I focused on things nobody seemed to want, but which I thought had potential.

Earlier this month, I picked up a bunch of silver age comic books for $1 (condition = fair to poor). Some of those silver age comics I picked up were Iron Man, Daredevil, a couple of '60's Charlton Comics (Hot Rod) amd a few Action Comics titles. I also scored a on a lot of Marvel Tales (reprint of earlier ASM), Marvel Super Action, Marvel Triple Action, Marvel Super Heroes (reprint of earlier Hulk comics and Tales to Astonish) and Marvel Two-In-One comic book titles.

As get closer to 5,000 comics in my collection, most of those are "readers" and I plan to eventually get around to reading those comics. A big portion of my collection is Spider-Man-related titles.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I didn't pick up a comic book til my mid 20's. Have been a fan of both Marvel and DC ever since. I stopped stacking them about five years ago but recently got an online subscription and have been reading a lot every night for the past week. I now enjoy being just a reader than a collector now. I am attached to my books though, as I don't seem to be able to get rid of them even though most of them are not worth much at all.

When it comes to comic books, I am a reader first and a collector second. I enjoy reading comic books and that is why I came back to comic books this year after a 20-year hiatus.

When it comes to comic books, I am a reader first and a collector second. I enjoy reading comic books and that is why I came back to comic books this year after a 20-year hiatus.
Wow, 20 years welcome back. I have quit a few times and I keep returning. I don't think the comic book bug will ever leave me. ever!

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
A big portion of my collection is Spider-Man-related titles.
Same here. I loaded up on McFarlane spidey books when he had a stint on ASM(high 200ish to 350ish)...dude can flat out draw. There was an entertaining cosmic spidey vs hulk scrap in there somewhere that I recall fondly.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Same here. I loaded up on McFarlane spidey books when he had a stint on ASM(high 200ish to 350ish)...dude can flat out draw. There was an entertaining cosmic spidey vs hulk scrap in there somewhere that I recall fondly.
I think that it was ASM # 298 that had his 1st artwork appearance. I do not have ASM # 298 buy I have seen the cover. I have ASM # 297 but there is a HUGE difference in the artwork between ASM #297 and #298. ASM # 297 is the last ASM issue before Mcfarlane took over the artwork. I had some Todd Mcfarlne ASM #300 - 318 when I was reading and collecting them 20 years ago. However, I got rid of them unaware that they could have been worth some money especially ASM # 300 (1st full Eddie Brock Venom). SMH!!!!!!!!!!

However, when I came back to the comic book hobby this year, I did puck up some Mcfarlene spider-Man comics for "relatively cheap" prices ($2.50 - $4.95 for ASM # 304, 308, 205, 306, etc) but I did not buy an ASM # 300 yet. I am not in a rush to do so. I did buy a Todd Mcfarlane Spider-Man # 1 (Black Cover) for $0.75 earlier this Summer and it is actually in decent condition (maybe 8.5 - 9.0 grade). I also bought a regular Todd Mcfarlane Spider-Man #1 (Good condition) comic book as a "reader'. I love Todd McFarlane comic books. His drawings are just...................AWESOME!!!!!!

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Wow, 20 years welcome back. I have quit a few times and I keep returning. I don't think the comic book bug will ever leave me. ever!
I do not think that the comic book bug ever left me. It was dormant for 20 years and when the big screen started showing comic book movies over the last several years, the comic book bug in me came out and I started buying and reading comics again. Just like I did 20 years ago.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
but I did not buy an ASM # 300 yet.
I seem to recall selling at least one of those. I believe the first black suit(symbiote) at least for ASM was right in that timeframe as well. A bunch of good stuff in there.

Gosh what a great cover. I grabbed a bunch of them at cover when they were spanking new.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I seem to recall selling at least one of those. I believe the first black suit(symbiote) at least for ASM was right in that timeframe as well. A bunch of good stuff in there.
Yep. I think that was the 1st full appearance of Eddie Brock in the black alien suite as Venom. The 1st appearance of the black suite appeared in Secret Wars I # 8.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Gosh what a great cover. I grabbed a bunch of them at cover when they were spanking new.
I forgot to mention that I love that cover. I do have that issue. Spidey (with Cosmic Powers) vs. the Grey Hulk.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

BTW the liked the "Acts of Vengeance" series when the superheros were fighting villians that other superheroes usually fight. That was good IMO.