• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Comic Books

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
As of today (November 24, 2017), I have a total of 5,039 comic books in my collection. In addition, I also have 26 comic trade paperbacks. My comic book library is nearly complete with the back issues that I was looking for. I still have a comic book "wish list" of issues that I am looking for but it is much smaller than it was a month ago. I am more than satisfied with what I have and what I paid. I will currently make a final comic book wish list of back issues that I am looking for than I will be done with that and will concentrate on certain current issues that I like to read.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Nice. Please don't take them boating. :)

It's fun dragging dozens of 2.5' long white boxes around for decades on end isn't it? I've had to explain those boxes to countless girlfriends and one wife over the years. lol

I have some more supplies coming in tomorrow, bags and boards, and I'm real excited about swapping out some old poly bags. Okay, I'm not even a little excited, but some of those bags are really vile.

Any of you guys have experience with the grading companies? Its been a few years, but I've used CGC/CCS in the past. They're slow and expensive, but thorough. Just looking for first hand opinions on CBCS and/or PGX in case I decide to submit some books for grading. I have a Tomb of Dracula #1 and a #10 that are both near flawless. I imagine they'd fetch a pretty penny slabbed.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Nice. Please don't take them boating. :)

It's fun dragging dozens of 2.5' long white boxes around for decades on end isn't it? I've had to explain those boxes to countless girlfriends and one wife over the years. lol

I have some more supplies coming in tomorrow, bags and boards, and I'm real excited about swapping out some old poly bags. Okay, I'm not even a little excited, but some of those bags are really vile.

Any of you guys have experience with the grading companies? Its been a few years, but I've used CGC/CCS in the past. They're slow and expensive, but thorough. Just looking for first hand opinions on CBCS and/or PGX in case I decide to submit some books for grading. I have a Tomb of Dracula #1 and a #10 that are both near flawless. I imagine they'd fetch a pretty penny slabbed.

No boating for me. I do not go boating with my '70's silver art bars and I certainly will not go boating with my 5000+ comic books. LOL!!!!!

I did not have to worry about explaining those boxes to any girlfriends because I never had a gf.

I do need to get more bag/boards as well as some dividers. I need to organize my comic library. I love being able to pull a comic out of my comic book library to read...........Just like I did 20 years ago.

As for grading companies, I never had any experience with them. I cannot speak on that aspect of the comic book hobby (yet). As far as I know , I do not any comic book that is worth getting it graded (yet). I have several silver age comic books but they are in fair to poor condition and they are not "key issues" (as far as I know).

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Ah, so seems we approached comics from a somewhat different perspective. While I love the artwork and the storylines they've always been something of an investment vehicle so I've nearly always targeted key issues...with some exceptions. Some stuff is just plain fun.

Not sure if you pickup supplies locally, but prices and service at BCW are tough to beat in my experience.
http://www.bcwsupplies.com/

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Ah, so seems we approached comics from a somewhat different perspective. While I love the artwork and the storylines they've always been something of an investment vehicle so I've nearly always targeted key issues...with some exceptions. Some stuff is just plain fun.

Not sure if you pickup supplies locally, but prices and service at BCW are tough to beat in my experience.
http://www.bcwsupplies.com/
Yeah we do have different approaches to comic books. I tend to be a "reader" type comic collector that mainly focuses on buying them just to read them. I vast majority of my comic book collection are "reader" comics (i.e. comics in less than "ideal" condition for investment purposes, "no-name" comic book titles found in the "bargain bin", etc.) Also, you are more knowledgeable about comic books than I am and that makes a big difference IMO when it comes to finding key issue comic books and finding it at the right price. IMO I do not currently possess the knowledge to be able to make money off of them however I am content with reading them since that is my main goal. With that being said, there will IMO be some point in time (not sure exactly when) where I will be interested in buying comic books as an investment to flip on ebay or elsewhere online but I am nowhere near that point since I just returned to the comic book hobby a few months ago after a 20-year hiatus.

I do buy all of my comic book supplies locally but I will check out BCW. Thanks for the link.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I think of comics more as an inflation hedge than a profit mechanism...like a poor man's Picasso of sorts.

As far as finding key issues/gaining knowledge it's dead simple by just thumbing through reference material. That used to mean hours staring at Robert Overstreet price guides, but now all that stuff is computerized. I use comicbase software to organize my collection and to help spot trends.
https://comicbase.com/mycb/default.aspx

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I think of comics more as an inflation hedge than a profit mechanism...like a poor man's Picasso of sorts.

As far as finding key issues/gaining knowledge it's dead simple by just thumbing through reference material. That used to mean hours staring at Robert Overstreet price guides, but now all that stuff is computerized. I use comicbase software to organize my collection and to help spot trends.
https://comicbase.com/mycb/default.aspx

Yep, Comicbase is just what I need to organize my collection. Thanks for the link.

I've had to explain all those long boxes to many a girlfriend and my now fiancé. If they didn't mind they were definite keepers.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I've had to explain all those long boxes to many a girlfriend and my now fiancé. If they didn't mind they were definite keepers.
In some ways the process is similar to explaining to a chick why you're converting "money" into metals.

"Uhhh...cuz I can read a history book babe."

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I do not have a gf (I am not even dating ATM) but if I eventually have gf, I prefer one with the same interest in comic books and that way I do not have to explain the white boxes of comics that fill up a large part of my apartment.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
When it comes to comic books, one thing that I has changed for me now vs. 20 years ago is that I am buying more independent comic book titles now than I did 20 years ago. Then again, there are more independent comics than there were 20 years ago based on my observations from 20 years ago. Of course, I have double the total number of comics now (5000+) than I did 20 years ago when I had 2500 comic books at that time.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Really enjoyed some of the Valiant/Acclaim stuff.

Magnus has been done by nearly every publisher...ever with the exception of the big two, but they're mostly pretty good. The Valiant stuff was, imo, excellent.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Really enjoyed some of the Valiant/Acclaim stuff.

Magnus has been done by nearly every publisher...ever with the exception of the big two, but they're mostly pretty good. The Valiant stuff was, imo, excellent.
I currently do not have any Valiant comics in my collection but I did have some Valiant comics in my collection 20 years ago. The Valiant comic that I can remember reading 20 years ago was X-O Manowar

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The Valiant comic that I can remember reading 20 years ago was X-O Manowar
I have some X-O books, though they're not my faves. I got into reading Magnus, Solar, and Hard Corps a bit though.

That's X-O, Magnus, and Solar respectively in the foreground. In the back there is Rai and Archer & Armstrong.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I have some X-O books, though they're not my faves. I got into reading Magnus, Solar, and Hard Corps a bit though.

That's X-O, Magnus, and Solar respectively in the foreground. In the back there is Rai and Archer & Armstrong.
The main reason that I do not have any Valiant comic books in my current collection because I do not have an interest in them this time around. I am mainly a Marvel guy and most of my collection is Marvel comics.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Sometimes it pays to look in unusual places for comics. I got a couple hundred of these comics from a goodwill branch:

Just noticed the latest price update has them at $7 and $5.25 respectively. I think they worked out to $.16 each when I grabbed them and they were in perfect condition with the exception that they stuck a small UPC code price sticker right smack dab on the cover.

Goodwill, never thought of looking for comics there. Good score. Garage and "estate" sales would be good too. While you look for sterling silver at all those places.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
As of December 31, 2017, I have a total of 5,331 comic books in my collection and 27 comic book trade paperbacks (TPB's). I have not bought any comics books this year yet. Actually I have not bought any comic books since December 15, 2017. When I have the time, I do read a few in my collection. However, between my ebay business and working full-time at my regular job, I have not had much time to read comic books. Hopefully that will change in the future in terms of having more free time to read comics because I enjoy this hobby as a form of relaxation.

The other reason that I have not bought any comic books as 12-15-2017 because I need to make a new comic book "wish list" of issues that I am still looking for. I have not started that yet. I am not in a rush do that at this time since I have a lot of other things on my plate that I am concentrating on at the moment.