• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Coming soon to US: Chinese electric mini-pickup truck.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
be a good little cart for gardening.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
How much extra for the doors?
I'm sure Irons wants one to swap out for his S10.
But it's chilly up there.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
That music!

And the sound effects!

I'm convinced! Send me one now!

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Top speed is 35mph, is that going to be street legal?

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I don't want one!

Would work around a city for delivering pizza.

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019/02/04/chinese-take-out/

Chinese Take Out…
By eric - February 4, 2019

It’s funny – or sad, depending on your point of view.
America car companies are downsizing and U-hauling operations to China as fast as they can . . . at the same time that Chinese car companies are preparing to launch a kind of vehicular Operation Overload directed at the mainland United States.
Two Chinese car companies – Zotye and GAC, which sells cars under the Trumpchi label (no reference to the Orange Man, it translates as “passing into happiness”) have announced they will begin selling cars here just a few months from now.

There will be “landings” in a dozen states, including Virginia, Florida, California, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Kansas, Oklahoma and Maryland.

GAC has met with 80 potential distributors, according to the trade publication, Automotive News. Zotye has reportedly signed non-disclosure agreements with at least 120 prospective U.S. dealers.

And that’s probably just for openers.

The Chinese car industry is a state-sponsored industrial juggernaut that already outproduces the American car industry in terms of total volume – in excess of 23 million vehicles manufactured annually vs. about 17.2 million in the U.S.

This is analogous to what happened in the United States around 100 years ago, when Henry Ford began cranking out the Model T in numbers.

Just smaller numbers, over a much longer period of time . . . vs. the Chinese.

From 1909 to 1927 – a production run of almost 20 years – Ford built just under 15 million cars.

The Chinese built almost twice as many cars . . . last year........(LINK to rest of article)

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Coming soon to the chi-com landscape — USED CAR LOTS
Invest now and become rich!!

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I rode in a chink SUV in South America and it was an unreliable bucket-of-bolts. They move down the road, but do not expect Japanese reliability or longevity. The sensors fail and the ac works only briefly.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
How much extra for the doors?
I'm sure Irons wants one to swap out for his S10.
But it's chilly up there.
Wrong! My S10 is getting a new rust free body and paint job this spring! When it needs a new engine in the future it will get one of those too.
Heck if you want a chinese made vehicle just go to your local GM dealer.
Them feckers are all made in china nowadays and slapped together in mexico.

.junk!

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Wrong! My S10 is getting a new rust free body and paint job this spring! When it needs a new engine in the future it will get one of those too.
By the time you'll need a motor, I'll bet there'll be an electric conversion kit available that's cheaper than a new ice. Bonus, it'll do zero to 60 in 1.3 seconds.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
my old 97v6 auto s10 parts truck is up to 350k still got lots of power .....needs a fuel pump Uggg......debating doing it myself or not

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
my old 97v6 auto s10 parts truck is up to 350k still got lots of power .....needs a fuel pump Uggg......debating doing it myself or not
You can either unbolt the box and lift it up or go under and drop the gas tank. Quite a few youtube videos on doing it both ways. I just replaced my fuel tank, straps and the entire fuel pump assembly. It's a big job but not too bad. All new under there now!

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
All sorts of crazy vehicles in China. Two wheels, four wheels, three wheels, six wheels, gas, electric, human powered, ancient, modern...love it, but not buying any of them.

Zed

Intergalactic Smart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
By the time you'll need a motor, I'll bet there'll be an electric conversion kit available that's cheaper than a new ice. Bonus, it'll do zero to 60 in 1.3 seconds.
In hub motors combined in a suspension strut /breaking unit. Siemens make them but I'm not sure they are marketed anywhere yet. Basically everything that is likely to break is in one of four corner units that you can quickly swap out for refurb. Batteries and control are in the car, gives you computer controlled 4wd, traction control, stability control, full time all wheel on hard surfaces... the works with sweet fa to service! It should be very doable once battery tech is better.

So yeah... some one is sure to market kits and pickups would have to be the easiest to convert. Mind you the engine space will always be available for batteries. They just need to lower cost on batteries and get energy density up and you can see it changing everything.

Zed

Intergalactic Smart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
All sorts of crazy vehicles in China. Two wheels, four wheels, three wheels, six wheels, gas, electric, human powered, ancient, modern...love it, but not buying any of them.
Germany was the the producer of cheap crap once, then Japan, then Korea and now China.

It will not take too long until they make best in class.

My Hyundai beats the crap out of the Subaru for quality, both design and build. Not so long ago they where crap, then badly designed but reliable and now better quality all round than the Audi and Range Rover offerings at half the price. If you can get past the badge and maybe the interior styling (improving!), no snob value in it, then they are a great value car. No doubt China will follow a similar path over time.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
$9,000 buys a pretty nice used car with all of the bells and whistles.

RealJack

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Two Chinese car companies – Zotye and GAC, which sells cars under the Trumpchi label (no reference to the Orange Man, it translates as “passing into happiness”)
GAC Motors? I wonder what the models will be called? Barf DT for the base model or perhaps Vomit POTUS for the sport version?

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I like the honesty of it. Sure beats the 'american' offerings, assembled with 100% chinese made parts.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Mind you the engine space will always be available for batteries. They just need to lower cost on batteries and get energy density up and you can see it changing everything.
Yea imho before everything goes electric, battery tech needs to get better. Low range and long charge time ain't gonna cut it. Only other thing would be standardized batteries that can be changed out in the time a normal fill-up takes.
Maybe instead of a gas station, it'll be a battery station where all ya do is swap out out and go.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Germany was the the producer of cheap crap once, then Japan, then Korea and now China.

It will not take too long until they make best in class.

My Hyundai beats the crap out of the Subaru for quality, both design and build. Not so long ago they where crap, then badly designed but reliable and now better quality all round than the Audi and Range Rover offerings at half the price. If you can get past the badge and maybe the interior styling (improving!), no snob value in it, then they are a great value car. No doubt China will follow a similar path over time.
True. I noticed Hyundai is doing now what Toyota did in the 80's. Definitely a succession of ascendant makers.