• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Cooking With A Sun Oven

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Today is a perfect day here in Texas to cook something in the sun oven. Started at 11:00am with the oven temp at 150
Just meat and potatoes right now and will add onions, bell peppers, and carrots as we go.
sun oven 2 (2).jpg
sun oven 1 (2).jpg

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
What about insects?

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
I had to lift the glass top to it in order to take the pictures because of the glare...once the glass top is down it's pretty well sealed
and keeps out any insects. When I take the next set of pictures I'll try to include the top

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Not sure what the temp is with the door closed picture...I lifted it from a search. Mine with an hour and a half into it is 285. It's definitely a play around with it cooking experience. The main trick is not to put everything into the pot at once. We've over done the meat and still had hard carrots and potatoes mixed in with mushy bell peppers and disintegrated onions....and yes if you forget about the hotdogs all afternoon they shrivel to dog treats!!!!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
You did pretty good, OO. I've got a sun oven and a tad of an advantage by being on the planet Vulcan in South Floriduh.

First thing I tried was a 3 lb. roast biff. I had a meat thermometer stuck on top of the meat, and I found I could keep it spot on 375F if I kept tracking the sun every coupla minutes. Kept moving it slightly for direct hit on the mirrors. Used the "20 min/lb" rule and stopped at one hour.

Came out fargin perfect.

I have it for backup-backup.

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
You did pretty good, OO. I've got a sun oven and a tad of an advantage by being on the planet Vulcan in South Floriduh.

First thing I tried was a 3 lb. roast biff. I had a meat thermometer stuck on top of the meat, and I found I could keep it spot on 375F if I kept tracking the sun every coupla minutes. Kept moving it slightly for direct hit on the mirrors. Used the "20 min/lb" rule and stopped at one hour.

Came out fargin perfect.

I have it for backup-backup.
Yes, you do need to move the oven to keep the direct sun hitting it. We moved it 4 times during this cook. Another benefit is we spent zero $$ on electricity doing this.

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
And for dessert...chocolate cinnamon rolls cocked in the NuWave...
cinrolls.jpg

We got rid of our conventional oven/stove several years ago. This is what we have now. The space below is the tub for dog food and of course the garbage can.
oven.jpg

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I have a sun oven too, for backup :) But, here in NW Indiana, there are weeks that go by when the damned thing is useless (no sun.) But I did bake a loaf of homemade bread one day. I don't think I hit 350 degrees. You can bake bread at 300-325 though -- just takes longer. It browns the loaf too.

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Worked pretty good...but the brand/type isn't the best taste for me. The green stuff tastes like grass clippings!!

pizza3.jpg

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Just leave bread dough in a black car in Florida in July and you will have a loaf of bread in 30 minutes.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Don't lose faith in making pizza with your sun oven. Just get a quality pizza to cook.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Don't lose faith in making pizza with your sun oven. Just get a quality pizza to cook.
Anyone can apply their own, preferred toppings. Why not go one step further and make your own crust/dough? I'm not going to make my own Italian sausage or pepperoni (although many forum members would); but I'd bet everyone here could make a good pizza sauce using fresh tomatoes. All of these quality ingredients will cook just fine in the sun oven.

Edit to add: if you're planning to feed sun oven baked pizza to more than two people, you'll need multiple sun ovens

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Hey Merlin, I do haver a 2nd sun oven but I'm feeling the pizza making will be a one time 'goof off cook' Tuesday we're keeping it simple with just heating up the hot dogs. No need to post pictures on that unless we forget about them again and they turn into dog treats. If you do bread again please share a picture or two!!!