• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Cool items and whatever.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
You could probably be on that American pickers show, Id bet they would love to get some of your oldies.

Oh yes, I could get them here but I DON"T WANT TO BE ON TV!

Here's a view of a small part of my store.

007.jpg

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Man do I hear ya about the TV. I bet you can go picking in your own space and find cool stuff you forgot you had.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I was over to a small city a few hours away yesterday and had time to stop at a pawn shop. I took my brass thingy to see if they had a clue[which they didn't]. I found this ugly brass thing that I know nothing about but I got it for $2 cause they obviously were sick of storing it.
IMG_2189_zpsbe4954a3.jpg

The spout is threaded to take the head?
IMG_2191_zps5fdb94c8.jpg

It had been repaired a couple times.
IMG_2192_zpsdaedf37a.jpg

IMG_2193_zpsce3fab19.jpg

My best guess is some kinda unit for something I know nothing about.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I was over to a small city a few hours away yesterday and had time to stop at a pawn shop. I took my brass thingy to see if they had a clue[which they didn't]. I found this ugly brass thing that I know nothing about but I got it for $2 cause they obviously were sick of storing it.
The spout is threaded to take the head?
It had been repaired a couple times.
My best guess is some kinda unit for something I know nothing about.

Looks like a Turkish coffee pot. The "head" is a coffee ground strainer.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Thanks D-Fenz as I sure wouldn't have guessed coffee. Dirt I thought about watering too, but it would have to be filled with a hose and a lot of folks like dipping out of a barrel.

I also took some pictures of a gizmo I'm certain was used in logging, I got it at a garage sale last summer for $3 and as I have many old wooden measuring sticks I thought I had to have it. The thing is 4'6" long and sure is a great item to go show your buddies as their dogs give me a wider birth.
IMG_2185_zps9d7b1e9a.jpg

IMG_2183_zps444aab16.jpg

IMG_2184_zps485a2aa6.jpg

IMG_2186_zps4d77b6cb.jpg

IMG_2187_zps0fe1758e.jpg

You can be sure I ain't got a tree it would measure out here on the prairies. Always fun finding out what some of this stuff actually did.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Gotta like the old powder cans and some had great pics.
IMG_2258_zpsche5alhk.jpg

IMG_2267_zpscix8tg1g.jpg

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to try to sell this on eBay, and then the IRS froze my PayPal accounts.

ORT_1_2ft.jpg
ORT_2_fully_articulating_steerage.jpg
ORT_3_hydraulic_dump_bed.jpg

This particular model 201A appears at some point many years ago, to have been dipped in a large bucket of red paint, which has greatly assisted in preserving much of the original black paint. Some rust and wear are apparent on the bed portion, as you can see from the photos, but this 1920-something production Buddly L otherwise in fully functional condition.

In fact, this truck looks as though some kids actually played with it.

Early pressed steel truck featuring the first self-raising hydraulic dump bed. Manufactured by Buddy L it was advertised to “raise a load of 12 pounds easily and indefinitely,” and this one still works like a champ.

Truck has all black front, hood, fenders, open seat, steering wheel, short running boards and dump body. Chassis is painted red with crimped-rod bumpers, suspension springs; and disc wheels with aluminum “tires”.

Hydraulic mechanism uses a 1” x 5½” brass cylinder with left side release lever. Tailgate unlatches to open.

Originally retailed through the 1927 Sear-Roebuck catalog for $6.79.

Size: 25”.

One of the finest playthings in the Buddy “L” Line. It not only looks like the big hydraulic dump trucks but it works just like them. Just release a lever and the body raises automatically—push the body down into place on the chassis and it automatically locks. You really have to see this model in action to appreciate it.

THE CHASSIS has steel channel section frame. 4¼” aluminum wheels, automobile type steering mechanism, 2” steering wheel, crown fenders, running boards, stream line hood, steel radiator and special seat 5 3/4” wide by 2” deep.

THE BODY is made of 20 gauge steel, l2 1/4” long. 5 3/4” wide, 1 7/8” deep with 1/2“ flare boards and drop end gate fitted with hinges and snap locks. HYDRAULIC unit has cylinder 5’” long by 1” in diameter and will raise a load of 12 pounds easily and indefinitely.

GENERAL DIMENSIONS: Length, 25”: width. Height, 9” (with body raised, 13”) weight, 9 pounds.

This is a rustic but vintage, rare and unrestored Buddy "L" Hydraulic Dump Truck Model 201-A.

Buddy "L" toys were first manufactured by the Moline Pressed Steel Company in 1921. Ever since, Buddy "L" toys have become some of the most collectible in the world due to their high-quality and realistic design.

This truck is the premium size, measuring almost 25 inches long. The truck is a model 201-A and was originally manufactured in 1922.

Unlike some other, smaller models that use a simple lever-action to lift the bed, this truck uses a hydraulic component.

When the lever on the left side of the driver's seat is released the bed automatically lifts up; it simply locks into place when pushed back down.

This chassis has a steel channel section frame, running boards, steel hood and radiator, crown fenders and a working steering wheel.

The steering wheel continues to articulate the two front wheels.

20-gauge steel was used to form the body and gives the truck great weight and substance. The toys were advertised as "Guaranteed Indestructible" due to their incredibly solid construction.

Some areas of the truck show wear and rust. The truck's bed in particular shows a good deal of paint-loss and rust.

The piece has been cleaned, however, and all condition-issues are purely aesthetic and do not affect the truck's functionality or structural integrity.

This Buddy "L" remains in good condition overall and works incredibly well.

The unrestored Buddy "L" line of trucks are becoming harder and harder to find. This is a true collector's dream.

Measurements: 25" total length, 9" wide, 9" tall, 12" truck bed length, 6 3/4" truck bed width, 2" truck bed depth, 4 1/2" wheel diameter, 5 3/4" seat width, 13" height when bed is up Weight: 9 ½ lbs.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Nice truck and a description unmatched. Thanks.

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice truck and a description unmatched. Thanks.

Thanks, but I must confess that the bulk of the description was borrowed from others.

I'm actually glad that I didn't sell it.

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also took some pictures of a gizmo I'm certain was used in logging,
You'd be right, that's a logging scale stick back when volumes were measured in cunits (until about 1974). The numbers on the sides represent half unit volumes. The 20, 22, 24, 26... that's the length of the log. The numbers on the edge represent the diameter of the log. So you take a 20' log with a 16" top and a 28" butt, add the corresponding half volumes together to get the gross volume of the log.

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My friend and neighbor has this for a beer fridge. Yes it works.

IMG_1082_zpsxbszekt7.jpg

she has a crazy amount of really old really good stuff. She plants petunias in gold dredge shovels hung off a log porch.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I bought this years ago as it's so cool to me. Then I find out it is just a USA thingy. We don't use corn up here the way you do down there. In fact corn fed beef turns me off as I have always ate barley fed which gives an entirely different taste.
antiques076.jpg

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Here's a project I've been kicking around in my head for a while; An adjustable gear table for my patio. I've had the gear, the Taper-Lok shaft coupling and an old chain-operated valve handle base for a while, but finally found a suitable cylinder at a scrap yard for $10. The long dark nights finally kicked my ass into gear assembling the thing. Sooner or later I'll find an old glass topped patio table they often give away on Craigslist to rob for the glass top. Then it's just a matter of trimming it out, burnishing it, scuffing the cylinder a bit more and slathering the whole deal with linseed oil. The gear is 39" diameter and adjusts from 27" to 41" in height that I can lock on the rod with a locking collar at whatever height I want.

At first I thought it would be dangerously top heavy but it really is amazingly stable, even fully extended. One thing is for sure, I don't want it to tip over. The gear by itself weighs in somewhere around 175 lbs.

And as these projects usually go for me, it will probably start to get complicated... Normal patio chairs would work with it, but to properly compliment the table it should have some matching chairs... and... and... Those would be a much bigger deal- maybe with 3 or 4 matching gear bases... Don't know yet. We'll see.

1607954274518.png

1607954746422.png