• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Cops pull driverless Tesla, Who gets the ticket?

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
place a body under the chasis and soon we're going to have a great time watching the lawyers get filthy rich

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Does the Tesla know it was stopped?, how does it see a stop sign? I got lots of questions...

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Cops pull driverless Tesla, Who gets the ticket?

The registered owner. The system wants their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :totally steamed:

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
If that's the case, it won't be long before our courts are clogged from all these driverless car owners who's accusers can't put the owner, personally, at the controls of the vehicle...and Not Guilty Pleas will become quite common-place, with due cause...

I'll keep saying, electric cars should not be a part of anyone's future, unless you're just a stooge for trouble

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Does the Tesla know it was stopped?, how does it see a stop sign? I got lots of questions...
The owner was standing right there and stopped it remotely when he saw what was up. At least one time in the vid he said stopped it. When the car came in test #1.
...and I think was all a set up vid. Cops don't enforce stuff like that in parking lots. He saw the car in test #1 and stopped it, but in the last test he just couldn't see that police suv coming? Riiiight. Lol

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
As for stop signs and self driving cars, it would seem to me that it would be pretty easy to program the system to be able to recognize a red octagonal sign with the word stop printed on it. If we have stuff that can read license plates, why couldn't similar equipment read street signs?

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Is Elon back from Mars yet? Send it to him. Should be able find his addy in the phone book.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
As for stop signs and self driving cars, it would seem to me that it would be pretty easy to program the system to be able to recognize a red octagonal sign with the word stop printed on it. If we have stuff that can read license plates, why couldn't similar equipment read street signs?
I deal with signs being down/missing all the time, run over by drunks, knocked down for shits and giggles, or just stolen because someone wants room decor...the future will be interesting.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I deal with signs being down/missing all the time, run over by drunks, knocked down for shits and giggles, or just stolen because someone wants room decor...the future will be interesting.
Maybe they'll just program the map the cars use to include signage data. That wsy the car will know where the stop signs are supposed be.
.....and once self driving cars take over, there will be no need for stop signs, or for that matter, any other traffic control devices.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
This is fake. City Police cannot issue traffic tickets on private property. A stop sign in a parking lot is just a suggestion.
I’ve had a judge tell me that I could run doughnuts in the police station parking lot and there would be nothing they could do about it... legally.

But I think they can enforce reckless endangerment anywhere.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
It was staged to asked a legitimate question, if we ever get to autonomous cars, who gets the ticket?

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Maybe they'll just program the map the cars use to include signage data. That way the car will know where the stop signs are supposed be.
.....and once self driving cars take over, there will be no need for stop signs, or for that matter, any other traffic control devices.
I thought about that too until I realized, around here, streets get minor changes to them, stop signs even being removed, some being added, traffic lights being installed on new street intersections, and the like

If we're to count on Google receiving daily updates from work-crews and the like, it's still not going to be a 'complete map'

Imagine, driving behind a Tesla that actually stops where a stop sign used to be two days ago...people in the cross direction have the stop signs and they don't move because the Tesla has the right-of-way and it doesn't know this, it only recognized the car to the right was at the intersection first and has the right -of-way...like a mexican stand-off...nobody move!

cities and counties don't have their stuff together enough for me to believe this will work well, humans made it all, it could work, the batteries cold care less who or what they burn up, they just know how to start fires and there is no extinguisher available on the vehicle to contain such fires...

Reminds me, why aren't these cars required to be self-extinguishing?
Firefighters have a Class-Action waiting for them...idk

im against all of this unless and until i can take my golf-cart's governor off and do 35 around my neighborhood...until that time, Tesla's are just an expensive RC car that can kill you

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I thought about that too until I realized, around here, streets get minor changes to them, stop signs even being removed, some being added, traffic lights being installed on new street intersections, and the like

If we're to count on Google receiving daily updates from work-crews and the like, it's still not going to be a 'complete map'

Imagine, driving behind a Tesla that actually stops where a stop sign used to be two days ago...people in the cross direction have the stop signs and they don't move because the Tesla has the right-of-way and it doesn't know this, it only recognized the car to the right was at the intersection first and has the right -of-way...like a mexican stand-off...nobody move!

cities and counties don't have their stuff together enough for me to believe this will work well, humans made it all, it could work, the batteries cold care less who or what they burn up, they just know how to start fires and there is no extinguisher available on the vehicle to contain such fires...

Reminds me, why aren't these cars required to be self-extinguishing?
Firefighters have a Class-Action waiting for them...idk

im against all of this unless and until i can take my golf-cart's governor off and do 35 around my neighborhood...until that time, Tesla's are just an expensive RC car that can kill you
https://m.wikihow.com/Adjust-an-E-Z-Go-Golf-Cart-Governor but remember, they tip easy going around corners...

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I remember it as 25mph, but each state is a bit different

https://golfcartresource.com/florida-golf-cart-low-speed-vehicle-laws/

i didn't say it wasn't possible to do, i was just stating the law, a few laws it would seem...and, as you've mentioned, it's the handling of the rig at speeds exceeding this, but, with beefed up suspension and heavier sidewalls on those flexible tires, strap a helmet on and go for a ride on the road...soon, there would be a bunch of manufacturers, some deaths, eh, as if today's technology doesn't kill it's own share, LOL

so, there ya go...

and governors that have been taken off? diabled? rendered obsolete?
You must have owned a mini-bike when you were a kid...i did
Death Trap, for sure, but, i ruled it, I dominated IT!
I Survived A Non-Governed Mini Bike, With No Helmet, Plenty Of Adult Encouragement and a few DNF's along the way...LOL

didn't kill me...so, what do you think is the .gov's problem?