• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Cost to assay

Does anyone have any idea what it costs to assay a 100oz gold bar to put it in a NY COMEX warehouse - so as to make it a 'good delivery' bar?

joe_momma

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Great question!

Fished about on the web, haven't seen anyone actually come out and say what the costs are.

Here's one link - outfit in California - they're using non-invasive/non-destructive testing (probably x-ray).

Sadly they do not mention prices - (I am also pretty sure these guys are not COMEX certified)
http://www.bullionanalysis.com/index.html

yes, but you cant eat a gold biscuit - sometime you got to sell it again - and I think the best price may be the COMEX.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Midas Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Personally, I've never dealt with COMEX (CRIMEX) nor intend to but I'll chime in anyhow.

When I go to the refiners to 'melt' down gold scrap, they charge me a $30 fee regardless of amount. That said, only certain assayed bars are COMEX worthy and it'd be easier for you to sell your 100-oz bar an purchase and 'approved' COMEX type for storage. There's a list on the NYMEX of which ones they approve of.

...only certain assayed bars are COMEX worthy and it'd be easier for you to sell your 100-oz bar an purchase and 'approved' COMEX type for storage.
But that would defeat the purpose of buying and selling on COMEX - you would have to pay a dealer's markup/markdown...
I am trying to compare the costs of acquiring physical gold through COMEX, and selling it back through there again. I looked on the net, and found the information nowhere. Some assayers do not even take orders from individuals!

So I investigated, and found some details.

Exec summary: (COMEX 100oz gold) appx $9 for the first bar, $3/bar thereafter - with come caveats - see below.

First, one would have to deliver the bar to a COMEX depository (NY area)
Then the assayer would have to go out there, weigh and sample the bar, and take the sample back to lab to assay.
Assay charges are $300 per sample. Travel charges for a professional comex approved assayer to a local comex depository are about 600.
So, for about $900, one can have a bar assayed and put into the COMEX 'good delivery' depository system, or about $9/oz for 1 bar, $3 for each additional bar.

Now, this is not for everyone. You must be willing to put out 120K for a bar, and be willing to go fetch it (might get carjacked on the way home!!), then find a local place to keep it (bank vault?)