• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Costco - roast beef in a can.....

birddog

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Out for an exciting night with my husband wandering though the aisles of Costo. They have something new - canned roast beef in beef broth. Kirkland brand - 4, 12oz cans for $11.59. It was so new, that the two we bought were the only ones missing from the pallet.

We just got home and are boiling up some noodles to see how it tastes. I'll let you know if it is worth buying.......

Ozark

Seeker
Seeker
My local store was giving away samples of this roast beef a couple of months ago. It was excellent. I have started adding it to my stores. I believe the shelf life was three years or so.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Bully Beef! The British troops fought thier wars on canned Texas beef in the 1800's.

Just a little canned beef trivia. Carry On!

birddog

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
:36_1_11:

Thumbs up from us! The beef was very tasty. But just putting it over noodles with a little salt and pepper is a bit plain, there wasn't much beef broth. Adding some beef gravy would almost make a meal.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Thanks for bird doggin that, um, er, Birddog!

Hystckndle

Daguerreotype Fanatic
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Out for an exciting night with my husband wandering though the aisles of Costo. They have something new - canned roast beef in beef broth. Kirkland brand - 4, 12oz cans for $11.59. It was so new, that the two we bought were the only ones missing from the pallet.
We just got home and are boiling up some noodles to see how it tastes. I'll let you know if it is worth buying.......
Thanks for this.
Will check it out this week.
Regards BD,
Haystackneedle

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
My local store was giving away samples of this roast beef a couple of months ago. It was excellent. I have started adding it to my stores. I believe the shelf life was three years or so.
Three years... is that the CYA timeframe, or will it last longer than that?

birddog

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Three years... is that the CYA timeframe, or will it last longer than that?
The cans we bought have the CYA time stamp of 9/22/2013. I'm sure it would last twice that long.

ShirleyUGeste

Seeker
Seeker
We found the canned beef at our local Costco about three years ago and bought some for experimentation. It's so good, we use it for every-day quick meals. It's pre-cooked, so would be an ideal stockpile item for times when the electricity is out - just warm it up on your emergency cooking facilities. Just for the heck of it, I even tried warming it up over a homemade vasaline candle, just to see if I could. In 10 minutes it was warm enough to qualify as a "hot meal."

My d.i.l. uses it for quick burritos & tacos.
Add it to Bear Creek vegetable soup for a hearty vegetable beef soup.
Mix with bbq sauce for sloppy joes.
Add rice & seasonings for goulash.
Add potatoes and vegetables for a small pot of stew.
Season and pour over noodles for a tasty stroganoff.
Mix it into a thick gravy and pour over instant mashed potatoes for beef ala king.
Add barley, dried carrots & corn, celery, and seasoning, and you have a decent beef barley soup.

By the way, for those of you who live near a Walgreens or Rite-Aid, both of those stores put cans of beef on sale every other month or so for $1.99. There's almost always a 2 can limit, but if you talk to the store manager first he/she will usually let you buy 6 or more at a time --- per person. Can't tell you how many times four of us have gone into the store together and each of us bought 6 cans, but I can tell you that over and above what we've eatten, I have better than 200 cans in my basement!

birddog

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
What's actually in it, preservative-wise? Some of that costco stuff is pretty chemical heavy.
Beef, beef broth, salt, modified food starch and sodium phosphates.

97% fat free - Made in the USA

ShirleyUGeste

Seeker
Seeker
Do those smoke a lot?
Not much at all. For those who don't know about vasaline candles, it's a quick and easy way to get light or enough warmth to heat water for instant coffee when no other options are available. You'll need a SMALL can (like the size that chopped olives or chopped chili peppers come in; in a real emergency, I've even used the plastic cap from a deoderant stick), a tea bag, and a piece of foil. Pull the string off of the tea bag and put it in the can. Fill the can with vasaline so that one end of the string rises above the vasaline in the center of the can. Cut out a circle of foil that is roughly the same size as the can's diameter, poke a hole in the center and thread the tea bag string through it so that it sticks out about 1/4 inch. Set the foil circle on top of the can. (The only purpose for the foil is to keep the flaming end of the string from falling into the melted vasaline and getting extinguished, so don't try to get too fancy.) Light and enjoy ... just make sure to keep the candle protected from drafts.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Dont forget the good old stand by spam, I tried some of the low fat last week and it wasnt bad.

Garyw

The Military gave me Defoliant Exposure
Silver Miner
I wonder what part of China that came from. Too damn cheap to be American Beef.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I wonder what part of China that came from. Too damn cheap to be American Beef.
The canned roast I've seen is all a product of Brazil.

Ozark

Seeker
Seeker
I went to my basement and check the Kirkland signature 12oz cans that come in a four pack. They say they are a product of the USA. Mine expire in 8/2013. I have had them for six months or so. Very tasty. I need more of them.

kiffertom

Seeker
Seeker
aldi sells kirkland brands!! cant beat their prices and you dont need a 50 dollar membership!