• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Could GIM try respect?

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Respect in GIM? It could help to encourage poster's to improve the quality of their posts, and to discourage hostility in replies. I respectfully think it is worth a try. :s9:

Snip from: Could a “Respect” Button Help Squash Internet Trolls?
The most recent, and arguably most compelling, investigation focuses on a website’s most persistent problem area: the comments section. This feature is the definition of unrealized potential. In a perfect media world, the bottom of a news story would be a place where insightful discourse flourished and thoughtful ideas were encouraged. More often than not, though, the comments section turns into the written equivalent of a elementary school food fight with snarky one-liners earning top billing. Stroud wanted to know if it was possible to reduce the level of incivility by altering the wording of the “like” button and increasing a reporter’s involvement in active discussions.

Over the course of her study, she found measurable trends towards openness to counter-attitudinal ideas just by switching the “like” or “recommend” button with “respect.” It became clear that people were much more likely to click on opposing view points with the “respect” button in place, and in fact, it lead to more interaction in the comments section in general. For example, in a comments section with eight comments, people clicked “recommend” an average of 1.5 times, while they clicked “respect” an average of 1.8 times. “You wouldn’t like a comment that held a totally different view than your own, and I understand why,” she says. “It sounds like you support of it and approve and agree with it.” Respect, on the other hand, is more neutral and doesn’t carry connotations of concurrence. Websites like the Huffington Post and Tampa Bay Times are toying with using positive phrasing like “amazing” or “inspiring” on their buttons. And while those words skirt the direct affirmation of “like”,” they do little to spread the idea of respectfully disagreeing.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Not a bad idea, and makes a certain amount of sense - mostly because many people are poor communicators and don't have the vocabulary or wherewithal to compliment their adversary on occasion. A 'respect' button just provides a shortcut.

But with GIM, I always figure if it ain't broke dont fix it.

Do we have a problem with hostility? Trolls?

I am certain we do not have enough snarky one-liners.

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
QWAK,How about ciber sugar cookies :23_28_100s: for the GOOD boys and girls and NONE :thumbs_down::cry_smile: for the bad ones! :cheerful:

Just say what you are thinking --- even if it is hard to find the right words be true to what you believe and have evaluated based on your life experiences!:idea::23_28_100s:

the DUCK :s9:

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Come on guys, this is 2013. We should all be getting trophies just for posting. Spelling/content/applicability/etc be damned........

Now where is my trophy?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
If ya can't stand the HEAT,
Stay the H3LL outa the kitchen !!!!!!!!!!! :realmad:

That's a 2 liner :s9:

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
If ya can't stand the HEAT,
Stay the H3LL outa the kitchen !!!!!!!!!!! :realmad:

That's a 2 liner :s9:
A little long, but its' (Thanks Dave :haha:) snarky enough. :biggrin:

Last edited:

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
we have a respect button....."ignore"

i will NEVER EVER vote for more moderation.....

moderation is like government once they get started they never go back...

while i absolutely deplore some of the posters comments they certainly let you know where that particular poster is coming from ........i do as an adult have the privilage to #1..not read...#2 use the ignore feature...#3 choose another forum....

YES i agree some posters need to grow up and share their world with others but idiots exist in all of our lives so i say DEAL WITH IT

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I've paid very close attention and the real problem seems to be this:

someone is wrong.jpg

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Cant put my finger on it but I'm getting a kick out of this thread :D

[video=youtube_share;HwBmPiOmEGQ]http://youtu.be/HwBmPiOmEGQ[/video]

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
It's the grammer cops that worry me

1.jpg

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
It's the grammer cops that worry me
Typos are one thing, but someone who doesn't know the difference between their, they're and there will not get my respect. I can't help it. It really is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. But unless I can't understand a poster's meaning I would never call them on it.

But deep down inside, I know it's the difference between knowing their shit and knowing they're shit.

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Typos are one thing, but someone who doesn't know the difference between their, they're and there will not get my respect. I can't help it. It really is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. But unless I can't understand a poster's meaning I would never call them on it.

But deep down inside, I know it's the difference between knowing their shit and knowing they're shit.

There just yanking your chain! They're ain't no respect to git when there doin that! So their!

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

The Three Stooges - Swingin' The Alphabet (1938).avi

[video=youtube_share;bgmdnxtz3Bo]http://youtu.be/bgmdnxtz3Bo[/video]

http://youtu.be/bgmdnxtz3Bo

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
The Three Stooges - Swingin' The Alphabet (1938).avi

[video=youtube_share;bgmdnxtz3Bo]http://youtu.be/bgmdnxtz3Bo[/video]

http://youtu.be/bgmdnxtz3Bo
QWAK,searcher,You know now that I think about it :hmmmm2: ---- when that Nun was trying to teach me to read and my ABCs and kept hitting me on the head with that 18" ruler :secruity:--- it could have been one of them Stooges:ahhhhh: ---- I mean with the black penguin out fit:hahaha: it is easy for a 6 year old kid to get confused!:idea::yes::dontknow:

the DUCK :15_1_70v:

Malus

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling

I'll take an illiterate mountain man over some smart ass grammar nazi any day. The mountain man knows how to survive, the grammar nazi pumps him/herself up to give meaning to their useless life and thats about it. This entitlement mentality kills me. Seven billion people on this world and we elevate ourselves by our spelling ability, sheeesh. Ok you now sit as #4,387,234,112 on the hierarchy chart of importance to mankind.......

blueice

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
I'll take an illiterate mountain man over some smart ass grammar nazi any day. The mountain man knows how to survive, the grammar nazi pumps him/herself up to give meaning to their useless life and thats about it. This entitlement mentality kills me. Seven billion people on this world and we elevate ourselves by our spelling ability, sheeesh. Ok you now sit as #4,387,234,112 on the hierarchy chart of importance to mankind.......
Firstly, Malus, the MtMan is not illiterate and secondly, grammar is indeed
an important communication skill, whether you wish to accept it or not.

Ok, now back to your MTV and BET..:Sorry:, to interrupt your viewing pleasure.

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Let's eat grandma.
QWAK,Dude,Will Grandma be pickeled, jerked or just roasted on an open fire? :hmmmm2::eating::devil1:

the DUCK :15_1_70v: