• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Cousin In A Corner

Brio

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite cousin, she's a riot, runs a gravel crusher in Sask. We plan to give Trudeau a tour of it. LOL! Anyways, she's executrix of our Uncle's will and is really concerned about the value of the estate which is heavily invested in stocks. She asked my opinion, I said well silver of course and gold but that's not very helpful when it comes to allocating funds.
So my question is where would you put the money being concerned about a market crash?

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
hmmm...

agricultural futures partly ??? might keep up with REAL inflation... I don't know if there's a "fund" for that... But everybody's got to EAT, whatever the economy...

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
My favorite cousin, she's a riot, runs a gravel crusher in Sask. We plan to give Trudeau a tour of it. LOL! Anyways, she's executrix of our Uncle's will and is really concerned about the value of the estate which is heavily invested in stocks. She asked my opinion, I said well silver of course and gold but that's not very helpful when it comes to allocating funds.
So my question is where would you put the money being concerned about a market crash?
"Under the mattress"

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
"Under the mattress"
yep, if you don't hold it you don't own it......that rule always applies

i like the other one too:
possession is 9 / 10's of the law

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Inflation is my concern, rather the funds be in tangibles than fiat.
Always keep enough cash on hand to cover a significant emergency.

I have thought farmland with leasing/crop-sharing is a good idea. Bill Gates is gobbling up farmland. Growing population, shrinking usable farmland.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Biggest lesson I learned here and one that enabled me to have my house paid off within 6 years is that precious metals are a hedge against infation. Just stick a memory foam topper on em and you'll be as snug as a bug in a rug.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Don’t invest in anything that you don’t understand.

with that said. It’s a bit hard to actually recommend anything right now. I believe there is a looming market crash coming. The government just showed it can prevent you from evicting your renters, I’m weary of real estate.

personally I’ve been playing the options game betting on the general market direction, and investing in only a few companies that I believe in and buying bullion.

Last edited:

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I’m weary of real estate.
i've not heard about any Fads on this one lately:
Commercial Property with Buildings

once the bottom is reached, the locals may decide to produce locally again...

REITS are after homes iirc....

i don't follow this as i have no dogs in the game, AND that's just anecdotal

GL

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Nobody said bitcoin...

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
those guys are all over on another thread...just wait

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Finding a place to park wealth is a real dilemma right now. Even spending money is a dilemma because everything is either hyperinflated or out of stock. SLV's suggestion of farmland is good, but if you have to pay twice what it sold for last year, not so attractive.
Gold and silver and an excavator to bury it with.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Figure out the split for all heirs.
I go gold for big or majority of each allotment and silver for the smaller remaining balances.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Before the money is distributed, it shouldn't be messed with...even by the executor. Either leave it invested as it was, or move it to cash (and I know that is not good in an inflationary environment).

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
If considering staying in the stock market check the major Gold miners.
I got Barrick ( GOLD) it pays a 9 cent div. QU, and this year the shareholders voted to return an additional $750 Million back to investors an added 14 cents in June another 14 cents added to the September 15th Div. 14 +9 cents, and the last Tranche scheduled for November 2021, another 14 cents special div payment with the regular 9 cent Div in December 2021.
One of the other members here is having a similar situation with another major miner. I don't recall the name .

All stocks will take a hit in any crash but PM Miners will recover the fastest. As the bankers will still be scarfing up GOLD, and industries are already paying miners higher premiums for extend supply contracts in silver. WIN/WIN.
DYODD,
Best of Luck

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
As an Executor moving to cash is "safe" & those getting their share will see it as responsible. What happens if you leave it & market drops 50%. Your an idiot. Lets say market does not crash & goes up 15%. You kept it "safe" and it's hard to bitch about that.

Jodster

Always wrong
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
Hey Brio, check out these stocks. I went heavy in Rare Earths, precious metals and junior miners. This short list took me almos a half year to compile. DYODD.
I can’t even plan breakfast let alone finances, so take this as wild ass guesses.

Attachments

• BF050BE4-6717-4D62-BCEE-306FAD57DEF9.jpeg
    BF050BE4-6717-4D62-BCEE-306FAD57DEF9.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 18

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
pic was sideways Jodster - I fify

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.16.38 PM.png

Brio

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Brio, check out these stocks. I went heavy in Rare Earths, precious metals and junior miners. This short list took me almos a half year to compile. DYODD.
I can’t even plan breakfast let alone finances, so take this as wild ass guesses.
Thank you! Given your tagline though, not sure I should consider your advice
:laughing:

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Land...not making any more.

Young, firm, women with 32 teeth that listen and give good....advice, that like to cook to please and appreciate being pleased...notice...plural. I found 1, one, uno...good luck finding another.

Plural because more options on breeding stock. Changes at hand, be ready for it.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
You are spot on !
I have been in PM's for over 50 years. Yes they are up & down, BUT on the long haul they are up, substantially.
Be VERY wary of what is based on 1's & 0's. There is no foundation & they can & have been hacked.
NO-ONE can hack PM's that you have physical control of. Even my fire did not destroy my PM's. Yes they were burned BUT I was able to get them refined back to useable.
I would put 2/3 to 3/4 in gold & the balance in silver. My reasoning is that silver can get real heavy & voluminous real quick, as compared to an equal value of gold. You do need a balance of both. DYODD

Brio

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are spot on !
I have been in PM's for over 50 years. Yes they are up & down, BUT on the long haul they are up, substantially.
Be VERY wary of what is based on 1's & 0's. There is no foundation & they can & have been hacked.
NO-ONE can hack PM's that you have physical control of. Even my fire did not destroy my PM's. Yes they were burned BUT I was able to get them refined back to useable.
I would put 2/3 to 3/4 in gold & the balance in silver. My reasoning is that silver can get real heavy & voluminous real quick, as compared to an equal value of gold. You do need a balance of both. DYODD
Thank you Taezzar. I'm 90% sure my cousin wouldn't be open to taking delivery, When the will is probated then she'd have to sell it back and divide it between the beneficiaries. I read something about a GLD a short while ago that backs sales with physical. I'm sure they charge storage but it is actual physical. Was it GLDX?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Thank you Taezzar. I'm 90% sure my cousin wouldn't be open to taking delivery, When the will is probated then she'd have to sell it back and divide it between the beneficiaries. I read something about a GLD a short while ago that backs sales with physical. I'm sure they charge storage but it is actual physical. Was it GLDX?
I ONLY buy where I get merchandise in hand, at point of sale. Anything else is a gamble.
If the gold & silver are bought in 1 oz increments, (which is the norm) there should be no issue. An Odd, left over, balance can be paid with fiat.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Before the money is distributed, it shouldn't be messed with...even by the executor. Either leave it invested as it was, or move it to cash (and I know that is not good in an inflationary environment).

This is true.

Nobody can "sue" if the "executor" leaves the "wealth" in its "original form" or "converts it into Legal Tender" before "re-distribution" to the "heirs".

TomD

Let's Go Branden!
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Don't put all the eggs in the same basket.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is true.

Nobody can "sue" if the "executor" leaves the "wealth" in its "original form" or "converts it into Legal Tender" before "re-distribution" to the "heirs".

When my brother and I were working on our mother's estate, that is pretty much the advice we got from the estate attorney. Either leave it invested as-is, untouched, or moved to cash/cash equivalent. No messing with moving investments around prior to final distribution.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
My answer assumes the money is coming to her. I’m not qualified to suggest what to do if it’s to be willed to multiple others

Research the tax rules so you don’t generate capital gains or get caught in tax traps. If it’s a lot of money hire a pro.

Pay off all debt with cash or with lowest returning investment. Debt free should be goal 1

Diversify as wide as possible. The market should be a part of the portfolio but something safe and boring like qqqq or an S&P 600 spider. I don’t do individual stock because they are counter to my diversification goals

Explore alternative investments and if understood and comfortable spread money wide. In my opinion after the power of compound interest, diversification is the most important tool for wealth preservation.

Gold, property (income generating), preps, cash, corporate bonds, reits, peer-peer lending (I.e lending tree), annuities, small business ownership

North Carolina doesn’t allow peer to peer, but I have most of the others. I still have half in the market because I believe the market will rise with inflation and because I’m not willing to take the tax hit to pull it out.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Either leave it or move it to cash. I would move it to cash and give each future heir a copy of the sale and bank deposit slip.
Everybody gets the same slip, everybody see's the same thing. Simple, transparent, easy.

I recently did exactly that with my mothers estate, I gave nobody any room or reason to bitch.

Because face it, if the old boy's investments tank while it's in probate the heirs will consider it to be the "executrix's" fault.

Scorpio

для продажи слегка подержанный
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
as Irons states, a executor is not a 'investment advisor'
their primary and only job is the final dispersal of what exists,

the path of least resistance is to create the baseline,

now of course, that doesn't address things like 'mary gets the 38 ford in the garage' or 'harry gets the brown suit in the closet'
as that is a separate subject which the executor will have to sort thru

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Either leave it or move it to cash. I would move it to cash and give each future heir a copy of the sale and bank deposit slip.
Everybody gets the same slip, everybody see's the same thing. Simple, transparent, easy.

I recently did exactly that with my mothers estate, I gave nobody any room or reason to bitch.

Because face it, if the old boy's investments tank while it's in probate the heirs will consider it to be the "executrix's" fault.

That's what I did. Moved to cash account, when ready split 3 ways. I took the check that was $0.01 short.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Rather than immediately turn things into cash, I’d recommend talking to pro

Heirs generally get stepped up basis on property. I know the spouse does, I don’t know if non spouse or what relationship, if any, heirs don’t get stepped up basis treatment

Last thing I’d want to be responsible for is selling an asset and generating a capital gains obligation when waiting would have allowed the heir to sell immediately using stepped up (I.e tax free)

Maybe everyone gets the reset, I only know enough about to advise you look at it.

Last edited:

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Heirs generally get stepped up basis on property. I know the spouse does, I don’t know if non spouse or what relationship, if any, heirs don’t get stepped up basis treatment

Maybe everyone gets the reset, I only know enough about to advise you look at it.

The value of investments at time of death is considered an "estate asset", and subject to estate taxes (though there is a high exemption level). This is true even for investments, accounts, and assets that are designated as "transfer on death". The ToD designation makes it much easier to move assets into the heirs names, but the value is still considered in the estate valuation. Heirs then get the stepped up basis, with their basis being the value on date of death.

At least, that is how it worked last year when we handled my Mom's estate. Possible changes to estate tax laws forthcoming....

Brio

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's my cousin's concern. Estate taxes and reg.s are far different in Canada, that isn't an issue. But my Uncle was heavily invested in the markets and if (when) it tanks the estate (which is not insubstantial) will halve. I've sent her info on PSLV. I've talked to 'pros' before and they're more concerned about their kickbacks from the stocks they push on clients. Trusting 'pros' has cost me, but only once.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Trusting 'pros' has cost me, but only once.
Ah, A fellow graduate of The College of Hardknocks. "Welcome sister".