• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Crooks, Cons & Connivers In The Automotive Industry

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Dealing With Some Ford Dealers - Capital Ford - Rocky Mount - Gaudin Ford - Las Vegas Nevada
Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Jun 29, 2017
This video details our worst experience with a ford dealer in all the years we have been in business. Thankfully, there are some ford dealerships, along with their employees, will go out of their way to make the customer happy.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Thank You To Leith Lincoln In Raleigh NC & Gaudin Ford In Las Vegas NV
Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Jun 29, 2017
Dealing with dealerships can sometimes be a pain in the neck, so if you find one that treats you fair, be sure stick with that dealership and not venture around, you may not like what you find. This is a special THANKS YOU to Leith lincoln in Raleigh, North Carolina for getting us a replacement expansion tank, but never forgetting about Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas, Nevada for helping us out the best they can.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Dominos Pizza, Where Are My Toppings!? COMPLETE RIPOFF!
Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Jun 30, 2017
Today we ordered some dominos pizza from the Sharpsburg, NC store, to have while watching some Batman movies. We wanted to see if they would skimp on the toppings like they have since the previous manager Patrick left the store, and sure enough, THEY DID!

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
1989 Mercedes Benz 260E - Exhaust System Falling Out - BEWARE OF EXHAUST SHOPS!
Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Jun 27, 2017
Video on checking a 1989 mercedes benz 260e where the exhaust system had broken and is falling out of the car

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Patreon And GoFundMe Scammers On YouTube!
Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Jun 26, 2017
YouTube video on letting people know that some users of patreon and gofundme scam people out of money using youtube.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Used Subaru Buyer's Guide
MrSubaru1387

Published on Jul 9, 2017
General overview of things to look out for when shopping for a used Subaru.

Please Like, Comment, and Share. Be sure to subscribe for future videos.

-----I assume no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this video. I recommend safe practices when working with power tools, automotive lifts, lifting tools, jack stands, electrical equipment, blunt instruments, chemicals, lubricants, or any other tools or equipment seen or implied in this video. Due to factors beyond my control, no information contained in this video shall create any express or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. Any injury, damage or loss that may result from improper use of these tools, equipment, or the information contained in this video is the sole responsibility of the user and not myself.-----

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Just talked to a trucker friend. A colleague of his had a dead battery, so he went to help him with a set of jumper cables.
Attached them to his battery, left the engine running while his friend started his truck, then removed the jumper cables.
And to his dismay, even though the truck still could run, all his "accessories" were dead. The power windows wouldn't come up, the headlights and blinkers wouldn't work, etc. So his friend followed him back to the dispatch office (to avoid getting crashed into)... and they called the techs.
Tech shows up, and finds a little fuse that had to be changed. Turns out that it's "built-in surge protection security" baloney...
So you can't hook the jumper cables directly onto the battery, but under the hood there's a special bolt/rod to hook the red (hot) cable to, and the other to the frame, in case you need to jump-start somebody. So, just a "heads up" on "new technology".
Makes you want to stay with "old tech"...

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
⭐Hit From Behind With NO INSURANCE, Geico Car Insurance!
⭐ Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Aug 27, 2017
On August 12th, we were rear ended by a 2006 honda accord, whilst we were standing still. Come to find out, the owner of the vehicle had no insurance, and we have Geico, find out what happens next!

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The Future Of Repossession Is Now - Welcome The RepoDrone - 09/03/2017
RepoNut

Published on Sep 3, 2017
In this video you will see parts of a new segment called the Repo News that I plan to start bringing to viewers from all over the country.

Showing how this industry is in serious need of reform and compliancy.

I also plan to do Repo Fails as well so stay tuned for this new RepoNut 360 series.

Also in this episode I am introducing my concept of utilizing cutting edge technology to revolutionize the auto recovery industry. . How I wanted to use footage never before available to consumers in my repo videos such as this.

I have not given up on this dream and it will become a reality if I have anything to say about it.

Another RepoNut first - Welcome The Repo Drone Concept

Also stay till the end where I announce a special offer on my two eBooks out now.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
⭐ DIRTBAG MECHANICS - Getting Ripped Off By Mechanics - REAL TALK
⭐ Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Dec 3, 2017
In this episode of real talk, we discuss mechanics in the field that rip people off for jobs that were not done, done incorrectly, or done and broke things, and in the end, the customer paid for it all.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
How some Auto Shops make MONEY!!
Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics

Published on Dec 19, 2017
A family friend asked me for a second opinion on an estimate that she got from a local auto repair shop to fix a leaky washer tank on her 2009 Honda CRV.

Let's do some research, call up the shop, and get some more details...

YOU BE THE JUDGE!

Enjoy!
Ivan

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
⭐ WOW!!! Precision Tune Tried To RIP-OFF Our Customer!!
⭐ Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Jan 2, 2018
One of our customers took her 2008 infiniti qx56 to get an oil change at precision tune in rocky mount. Here is the results of that oil change

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Big Brother is tracking you: Car companies monitor drivers' habits such as speed and destination using technology included in their vehicles
  • Car companies are able to trace driver habits such as speed and destination
  • Such companies say they only do so with the car owner's consent but such an agreement can be buried within a buyer's contract
  • Some experts worry that the amount and type of data that car companies can glean may constitute a breach of privacy
  • Companies and third parties that use the data insist they use information for altruistic purposes such as alleviating traffic

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5277443/Car-companies-track-vehicle-technology.html#ixzz54RLKDwxS
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Volkswagen ‘rigged gas experiment with monkeys to show its diesel-powered Beetle produced safe level of emissions’
  • Volkswagen Beetle used for testing was allegedly rigged to produce false data
  • Experiment involved exposing 10 monkeys to emissions produce by the vehicle
  • Details of the 2014 test were revealed during a lawsuit in the US against the firm

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5319259/Volkswagen-rigged-gas-experiment-monkeys.html#ixzz55PAGoSEf
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
2018 Volkswagen MonkeyGate Scandal: What were they thinking?
AutoExpertTV

Published on Jan 27, 2018
What is it with these Volkswagen arseholes and poison gas? This time they’re torturing monkeys.

The following headline jumped right out at me:

“VW apologises for fumes tests on monkeys”

The New York Times broke the story. It’s shocking.

American Volkswagen arseholes in Albuquerque, New Mexico, locked 10 monkeys in airtight gas chambers and gave them cartoons to watch (to entertain them) while they were force-fed the exhaust from a diesel Volkswagen Beetle.

In case you are not a casual observer of 21st Century history, let’s detain ourselves.

Adolf Hitler was chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945. Most people remember Hitler for his other accomplishments, but he was also the driving force behind the establishment of Volkswagen from about 1934.

Hitler was a bit of a multi-tasker, unfortunately, also a genocidal maniac and (effectively) CEO of the final solution - the systematic execution of six million Jews.

In a sense, Hitler was not entirely discriminatory - his homicidal mania extended to homosexuals, prisoners of war (he killed about 3 million Soviet POWs). He also mass murdered the disabled, people from other religions, and trade unionists.

Hiller’s legacy is less Volkswagen and more the extermination of 11 million people. He makes Osama bin Laden look like an amateur. Hitler is most passionately despised, I think, for the gas chambers - a kind of mass production facility where the end product is dead people.

The gas du jour was Zyklon B - a kind of sexed-up hydrogen cyanide that disrupts cellular metabolism and kills you, pretty efficiently. 70 milligrams is enough to kill a person in about two minutes.

Hitler killed about one million people this way - a not insignificant proportion of the total.

I mention this because even today - seven decades later - you’d expect Volkswagen to be vestigially sensitive about conduct related to gas or gas chambers. The fact that they apparently are not is another brick in the wall highlighting Volkswagen’s absent moral compass.

The balance of probability explanation for green-lighting this black 'monkey' experiment is: Money. A well-financed attempt to produce seemingly academic research, the goal of which would be to influence political debate and preserve tax privileges for diesel fuel and diesel cars.

When the new Volkswagen Polo is launched in 37 days, grab a brochure and look for the references to monkey torture. Probably omitted.

My strong advice: Go and stand on the showroom floor. Look around, and tell yourself one of the things that made this possible is 10 monkeys being tortured at a Volkswagen black site lab, and the boardroom culture that approved it.

In response to this disgraceful practise being exposed, Volkswagen said:

“We are convinced that the scientific methods chosen at the time were wrong. It would have been better to forgo such a test from the very beginning.”

I guess even the monkeys would agree with that, broadly. They’d probably couch it in different terms. Volkswagen also said:

“We ask forgiveness for this bad behaviour and for the poor judgment of some individuals.”

That’s very clever - dressing up the preparation of a scapegoat in the form of a public apology. Like: ‘Hey, it wasn’t us. It was a rogue element.’ Frankly, they don’t seem too upset about it. Not authentically contrite. I’m not getting that bona-fide sense of remorse.

Here in ‘Straya, animal cruelty is a criminal offence and the penalties vary by jurisdiction. The most severe occur in Queensland where the maximum fine is almost $1.2 million for a corporation. And the maximum custodial sentence is seven years.

I’m pretty sure having 10 monkeys in gas chambers, sucking exhaust in your garage at home would qualify. I’m uncertain how much mitigation the court would entertain when you tell them:

“But your worship, we let them watch Looney Tunes.”

I’ll leave you with this: Recidivism is real. Hypothetically, if you rape someone’s sister, and apologise, barely, and get a slap on the wrist, and then you rape someone else’s sister and apologise … there’s a point at which I probably should not let you go on a date with my sister.

Society has built a box for people who do this, over and over, so that they don’t get to interact with anyone else’s sister. That seems fair.
For individuals, the box is in place - perhaps imperfectly, but in place. For carmakers, however, there is no real penalty for this type of conduct.

They apologise, they pay a fine that sounds big but really isn’t, they might sacrifice a scapegoat, but the move on … and rape someone else’s sister.

So if you don’t mind, I’ll keep Volkswagen on my ‘don’t buy’ list. If they’re prepared to go 100 per cent ‘Third Reich’ on 10 monkeys in perspex gas chambers in Albuquerque, I don’t recommend doing business with them. Ultimately, voting with your feet is the only thing they understand.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
2018 VW Polo -Vs- Choosing the right new car | Auto Expert John Cadogan
AutoExpertTV

Published on Jan 27, 2018
Far too many people go to a carmaker website … or, worse, to a dealership and actually seek advice. And what you get fed, often, instead of the facts, is a bullshit sandwich.

Here in 'Straya, 38 days before the official spawning of the new Polo, those criminal motherlovers at Volkswagen issued an attack on reason and rational thought, by way of a particularly spammy e-mail, to prick-tease the new Polo.

Carmakers are not trying to inform you impartially. They’re trying to convert you. To greet you, and gut you, and get rid of you, so they can greet and gut someone else like you.

MORE THAN A CAR
Really? More than a car? That’s like me saying this repport is more than a YouTube video. What is this ‘more’ that I get, allegedly, when I procure a new Polo in some marketing-assisted orgasmic frenzy of consumer delight?

I’d suggest that the new Polo will probably be many things - principally among them unreliable, badly supported, beautiful and fun to drive - but the one thing that is ontologically unambiguous is that it is just a car.

Volkswagen also says:

IT'S GOT YOUR BACK
Volkswagen’s intelligence-insulting marketing spam says the Polo has your back by virtue of its (quote) “Front Assist, City Emergency Braking and Pedestrian Monitoring”. Unfortunately, all these threats come from the front.

If you make the mistake of clicking on this nauseating marketing crap, you’ll be told all about the radar sensor and autonomous emergency braking for vehicles and pedestrians. But there’s no mention of adaptive cruise control, despite the radar hardware.

And this is what makes it so hard for consumers who attempt to form a balanced view on a prospective new car by visiting the manufacturer’s website. Manufacturers all lie by omission - features that the car lacks are never mentioned. Obviously they’re not in the business of highlighting a single reason not to buy.

But this is important to you, right? A core part of the decision is identifying the features you want, which the car lacks. If you know what those features are, perhaps it’s easier. But plenty of people don’t - if you’re a car nut, yeah, you get it. But if you’re in the majority (and most people are not car enthusiasts) these things might all be Rumsfeldian ‘unknown unknowns’ - and that’s very hard to accommodate.

This places a huge, additional burden upon you. It’s very easy to digest what is said or written, explicitly - and it’s not all that hard to parse all this through your ‘bullshit filter’. But it requires a whole different level of automotive familiarity to pick up the things that are not mentioned along the way.

Carmakers even have a team of lawyers to ensure that the statements made come with appropriate disclaimers and caveats, so that they walk up to the line of consumer law compliance, without technically crossing over. It’s an unbalanced environment for the acquisition of information.

BETTER THAN EYES IN THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD
Really? The new Polo is better than eyes in the back of your head? I mean, eyes in the back of your head would be awesome.

I guess in a sense it might be hard to assess this - I mean, eyes in the back of the head aren’t a homo sapiens optional accessory … yet.
But on balance, I think most people would agree eyes in the back of your head would be better than optional blind spot monitoring in a new Polo.

Why is it apparently increasingly a prerequisite of marketing bullshit, to talk up products by making statements that are completely irrational and logically indefensible? Do they wish to sell the new Polo only to the intellectually retarded? To people with no regard for reason?

What would be wrong with orbiting just a little closer to the truth?

In my view, you have to wonder about any company that takes a decision to lie so explicitly, so many times, so publicly, so often. All carmakers lie by omission in their marketing, but the Volkswagen Group is a distinctive beacon of dishonesty - this practise is encoded so deep into its DNA.

In any case, regardless of the car or cars you’re considering buying - you must be entirely careful about conflating research with visiting a dealership and/or a carmaker website. These resources are not designed to deliver balanced information or give you insight into the big picture.

If you look at the clock on the wall in these places, it’s always the same time: ‘bullshit o’clock’. I hate that.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The Truth About Volkswagen Monkey Exhaust Experiments
AutoExpertTV

Published on Jan 30, 2018
MonkeyGate 2.0 - this time, with even more spanking. And who’s really responsible? That’s next.

Let’s get right into it now, with Bill Tran:

"Not trying to let VW off the hook but it appears that this ‘study’ was conducted by an independent laboratory commissioned by VW, Daimler, BMW and Bosch. For all the shit committed by VW, in this case they shouldn’t be solely to blame."

Many of you brought this up after my initial report, two days ago. Link to that at the end of this video. Thank you for commenting… we do need to address BMW and Daimler.

All three companies were complicit in MonkeyGate - but the key questions are: exactly what did they do, and what did they know? The German big three funded an independent quasi-research agency, which commissioned the Monkeygate tests, and Volkswagen certainly knew what was happening. The other two - maybe not.

The Washington Post says:

“Daimler and BMW said they had no knowledge of the Volkswagen-led study.”

But The Guardian says a group of industry observers claim:
"...the experiments had been well-documented and the results presented to managers at BMW, Daimler and VW."

I’d suggest denying you knew is a very dangerous card to play in the domain of damage control - if you are in fact guilty of knowing. Eventually the truth comes out.

If you’re Mercedes-Benz or BMW, and you knew about MonkeyGate, when it happened, you can say you are shocked, you might be able to claim you didn’t give it the green light. You can say animal cruelty is abhorrent to you. But denying it (if you knew) is just stupid.

Big secrets don’t withstand scrutiny. It’ll just be Monica Lewinsky all over again, in a sense, playing another rousing chorus of ‘oh say can you see’ on the pink presidential flute.

The New York Times said:

“Volkswagen took a lead role in the study.”

This story blew up as a result of revelations from a lawsuit against Volkswagen - so the reports you read are based on admissible evidence and statements made under oath. There’s no debate about whether the monkey tests happened.

This is from Reuters:

Volkswagen said that some staff members, whom it did not identify, including some in its legal department, at the VW brand’s technical development division and at Volkswagen of America, were aware of the tests at the time.

On the balance of probabilities - we know that Volkswagen knew the monkeys were being gassed in the name of bullshit spin. No definitive word on the other two - but likely.

We know that several years ago, Volkswagen, BMW and Mercedes-Benz colluded with the intention of gaming the system. Bosch was in it too, but they dropped out before MonkeyGate. You could call this activity ‘lobbying’, but that makes it sound far too clean. They actually set up an authoritative-sounding fake research agency designed to produce quasi-scientific bullshit propaganda.

It was called the EUGT, from the German expression for European Research Group on Environment and Health in the Transport Sector. Let’s just say they weren’t in it for the altruistic pursuit of science. Quite the opposite.

It was all about influencing regulators and pumping up the profit. They went ahead and built a mini-monkey Auschwitz, and fired it up, apparently without a care in the world. It’s contemptible.

There was nothing probative to learn from this depraved activity. Human health was not investigated. This was just about propaganda - like the tobacco industry doing so-called ‘research’ on cigarette smoke. Therefore it was unethical and abhorrent.

Real scientists wouldn’t touch the monkey experiment, which was so spectacularly dodgy they couldn’t even get it published.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

Published on Feb 18, 2018
Jeep recently earned the opprobrium of piscatorial protectors in ‘Murica following an ad, which screened during the recent Superbowl, depicting a Wrangler driving through a creek and then up a waterfall.

President and CEO of Trout Unlimited (I’m not making this up) Chris Wood, set the volume to 13 and claimed the Jeep Superbowl ad glorified the destruction of nature to appeal to off-road thrillseekers. (Those bastards.) He’s pictured in the video with a trout he murdered recently.

“Why someone would want to put out the idea that you should buy a Jeep so you could drive it up a creek is incomprehensible to me.”

Trout Unlimited is of course dedicated to the noble pursuit of protecting cold water fisheries so that we humans can yank trout out of the water by stabbing them in the face with a covert steel hook and suffocating them in violent, brutal agony so we can eat them for fun and profit, for generations to come. A noble cause.

Mr Wood raised a formal letter of indignation and presented same to the top dog of Fiat Chrysler, Big Serge. Told him in no uncertain terms how utterly outraged the legions of loyal Trout Unlimited cult members betwixt Maine and Alaska actually were. Doubtless, many of them had never even seen the ad.

The ad was actually filmed on a manmade lake fed by a manmade waterfall, on private land. No word yet on the temperature of the water.

Hopefully you’re finding at least part of this report offensive. I know I am. Here’s a broader question for you: Do you prefer to risk being offended, or do you actually want content that is so impossibly sanitised that nobody could be offended by it?

I’m wondering: Is it better to be offended and unsubscribe than never to have subscribed at all?

I want you to know I tried being totally inoffensive once. I really tried. And it was bloody hard. Plus, afterwards, I felt compelled to go out and get my vagina waxed - and at that moment I vowed ‘never again’. Because it really hurt.

In my view - for freedom of speech to function, and to foster lively debate - everything about the human condition, including age, race, religion, diet, sexuality, even your choice of car - everything is up for grabs.

If you can have hetero jokes, for example, you can certainly have homo jokes. If ‘hetero’ is not a slur, then ‘homo’ certainly isn’t. It’s called equality.

So don’t even speak to me about inoffensive humour. It’s all offensive, to someone, if only to the chicken who stupidly keeps dicing with death.

I’m the wrong person to complain to here. A fat, bald, middle-aged, white man, and an atheist in a western democracy. Do you even hear the shit that gets said about us routinely, in the public domain?

No other group in society would tolerate that crap, not without marching in the street. So don’t waste my time with your bullshit politically correct fake outrage.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Jeep Wrangler Fake Ad Quickie (ver 2.0, by request) | Auto Expert John Cadogan | Australia
AutoExpertTV

Published on Feb 19, 2018
I’m John Cadogan from AutoExpert.com.au, the place where Aussie new car buyers save thousands off their next new cars. Hit me up on the website for that.

This very brief video is inspired by a delightfully refined, cultured young lady, whom I have met, several times, memorably, named Connie C, who reached out and touched me last night, via Facebook:

“After a long and stressful day some of your lusting followers may just want a quickie from you. Could you pull out that big beautiful fake Jeep ad of yours and give it to us hard and fast without all the romance and foreplay? Ultimate satisfaction can sometimes be achieved for some in as little as 3 mins especially if you don't hold back knowing that someone else will be watching…”

You know I’m on board with all that, in principle. But I just don’t get some chicks - they start out demanding a quickie, and then they expect three minutes. Is it that hard to be clear about what you really want, up front?

Look, because I respect you, Connie, deep down, and because your message appealed to my [LOOK DOWN] baser instincts, and there’s nothing I like more than a tired, emotional woman who is also gagging for it, apparently, prepare to be satisfied for three whole minutes. Or a quickie:

There: Do you feel better now? I know I do. But I know I’ll want it again tomorrow. Inevitably. A living hell. In the immortal words of the 20th Century’s hardest-rockin’ social philosophising lips:
“When I’m drivin’ in my car and the man comes on the radio, he’s tellin’ me more and more about some useless information, supposed to fire my imagination…

“...when I’m ridin’ round the world and I’m doin’ this and I’m signin’ that and I’m tryin’ to make some girl, who tells me serve me up another quickie maybe next week, can’t you see my Jeep’s stuck up Schitt Creek…”

Satisfaction can be elusive, across so many domains, but at least Connie is resting peacefully now. As can you if you subscribe now now, and hit the notification/bell button as you say good night. It’s the least you can do after this tawdry booty call of a video. I’m John Cadogan. Thanks for watching.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Mercedes AMG C63S 'Don't Buy' Warning (the truth about un-fixable AMG brake squeal)
AutoExpertTV

Published on Feb 27, 2018
Here’s what happens when you wager $170,000 on Russian roulette, Deliverance-style. It’s time to squeal like a pig.

Meet Con Botsioulis - a recent Mercedes-AMG purchaser.
Mr Botsioulis slammed more than $150 grand on the table on August 31 last year. He drove off into the sunset in a Mercedes-AMG C 63 S. This should be an entirely happy story. Unfortunately, it’s not.

The honeymoon was over within a week. The brakes had started squealing, annoyingly, and they didn’t stop. It became a consistent, nagging pain in the arse in normal traffic. There’s no dispute on this - the dealership and Mercedes-Benz agree the brakes do, in fact squeal.
They even changed the brakes. (The pads and the rotors.) And three weeks later - they started squealing all over again, like Groundhog Day.

This car squeaks like Edward Scissorhands in a world without WD-40.

C 63 S AMG costs $170,000 on the road, in ‘Straya. Mercedes-Benz says this is a car that (quote) “declares war on the laws of physics” (that’s on page 27 of the brochure).

The company promises (quote) “innovation after innovation” (that’s on page 28).

Actually, I almost drowned in personal lubricant on page 28, where they claim it will allegedly (quote) “defer completely to your demands - from extremely sporty to pleasantly comfortable”.

Such a gap between the promises of engagement and the reality of marriage. If I paid $60 grand for a Kia Stinger, or $80 grand for a Hyundai Genesis, and the brakes sounded like an ex-wife discussing the child support, I’d want that fixed. This would not be negotiable.
On a $170,000 halo car from the most up-itself brand on earth, I’d want it fixed ten times quicker, with a generous side-serve of sincere contrition. Benz actually claims the car will deliver:

“Pure sportiness, coupled with excellent design.”

They also advise you to:

“Prepare to be inspired, surprised and thrilled”

Lee Matenga, the dealer principal of Mercedes-Benz Toorak, which sold the car, at least responded in greater detail:

I would like to be clear that “Brake Squeal” is a “characteristic” of larger high performance brakes, the likes of which are fitted to your C63s. Depending on conditions and use these vibrations which are caused by the larger than normal brake pads can emit a frequency that is identified as a squeal. Naturally we don’t make customers aware of such characteristics as driving conditions/methods and circumstances all contribute to your concern.

Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific sent Mr Botsioulis the following official response:

“We are pleased to confirm that the investigations have concluded that the concern you have reported is not the result of a manufacturing concern. The brake squeal you are experiencing is a characteristic attributable to external influences such as driving style and road conditions.”

And that, if you ask me, is a 12-foot-tall birthday cake of unadulterated bullshit right there. I’m sure they are pleased. Mr Botsioulis - not so much. He drives in Melbourne - Australia’s second-largest capital city.
He drives between work and home in the city. His driving style is entirely consistent with what any reasonable person would consider ‘normal’ city driving. Certainly compatible with a car designed to defer completely to one’s demands.

I don’t know about you, but as a car nut, I certainly feel the gravitational pull of the three-pointed star, and the coveted AMG badge. I’ve been lucky enough to drive - I don’t know - a couple of dozen AMG road-test cars. They’re all brilliant dynamically and great to look at.

The ownership reality, however - as you’ve just seen - it’s not worth the risk. The detail design is half-baked, and the customer support mentality … I think it’s fair to say that Mercedes-Benz believes it has some special post-purchase imprimatur to be judge, jury and executioner.

To the ACCC, the corporate watchdog, I would say, simply: ‘Can you hear that? It might sound like a pig with its hind legs held aloft, but it’s actually the sound of opportunity knocking. What are you waiting for?
Mercedes-Benz is gagging for a regulatory pull-through. Why not sell tickets? Make it a spectator event. I’d pay to see that.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The Real Reason Ferrari Might Be In Trouble Over The Odometer Controversy - Lehto's Law Ep. 4.23
Steve Lehto

Published on Mar 7, 2018
A lawsuit in Florida alleges that Ferrari may have helped dealers "reset" odometers in violation of Federal law. What many people miss is that this all boils down to one thing - and it means the difference between massive fines and prison terms OR there being no liability at all.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
What to do if your airbags fail to deploy in a crash. (Should you sue the carmaker?)
AutoExpertTV

Published on Mar 1, 2018

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Ford's epic Focus RS F-bomb customer service fail | Auto Expert John Cadogan
AutoExpertTV

Published on Mar 15, 2018
Social media moments don’t get much more deliciously awkward than this: It’s been alleged on Facebook that a Ford service manager called a Focus RS owner a very rude name indeed when the voicemail recording continued, inconveniently, after the service manager presumed he had ended the call.

I’d be the first to admit that internet scams abound, and this could all be an elaborate fake. But if it’s not, I think most of us would agree that, like many aspects of inter-personal communication, letting the other party in on your true feelings is a speed hump n the road to achieving the resolution you want.

The customer is Xander Svetman, who posted the increasingly popular alleged recording on Facebook, where it earned 1200 likes, 800 comments and 500 shares. A tidy piece of Ford anti-marketing, any way you look at it.

The dealership where the F-bomb exploded is allegedly Titan Ford in the beachside Sydney suburb of Brookvale. Mr Svetman claims he is the third person to purchase an RS from the dealership after an agonising nine-month wait. And he gets it serviced there, loyally enough.

Imagine Mr Svetman’s despair when he learned the base engine block for the RS has the dodgiest possible design for a high-performance engine: the floating deck, where the cylinders are unsupported at the top of the block, which allows them to move relative to the head, and destroy the head gasket, inconveniently.

Like me you might wonder why this was never picked up by Ford’s engineers in R&D. There’s no good answer to this question. Because all answers I can see are orbiting around planet Incompetence.

This floating deck accounts for the global epidemic of Focii RS emitting clouds of white water vapour on their way down the road - yet another example of Ford’s commitment to under-done engineering design.

Rather than re-design the block, Ford has dodgy-ed up a more robust head-gasket, presumably with the intention of pushing the failure of the gasket into the post-warranty domain, where it’s easier to fob it off on the customer, and make more money.

And then this exquisite alleged voicemail. The icing on the bullshit birthday cake. A gift from social media heaven. (If it’s not a fake.)
Of course, I have no way to confirm that the post or the recording is authentic. It may be a misrepresentation of the truth. But adding weight to my impression that, on the balance of probabilities, it probably is genuine, is the fact that it’s been up for several days, and if it were fake there are probably solid grounds to coerce its removal.
And then there’s Alexis Carey, a journalist who works for the Daily Telegraph.

Anyway when Ms Carey reported on this incident for Uncle Rupey, she said:

“Mr Svetman confirmed the dealer principal visited him yesterday, and he would not be commenting further until the situation was resolved”

At the time I recorded this episode, Mr Svetman’s post and the alleged voicemail recording were still live on Facebook. Ms Carey also reported that Ford Australia communications chick Jasmine Mobarek claimed the company was aware of the situation:

“We have apologised to the customer and we are working with them to address their recall repair.”

To me at least it would seem strange to apologise to somebody when the circumstances of the alleged offence are materially in dispute. Ms Mobarek went on, allegedly:

“The actions of the staff member were disappointing and are not in line with Ford Australia’s values or expectations.”

This leads me to conclude that there’s most probably no real dispute about the unfortunate F-bomb voicemail. I mean, it’s hardly disappointing if it didn’t actually happen, right?

Still, more than anywhere else, this statement by Ms Mobarek is where I have to disagree vehemently with Ford’s 2IC of spin doctoring the facts. In my opinion, calling us all fuckwits (at least implicitly) is exactly in line with Ford’s values and expectations. Ford has been F-bombing us all, for decades.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Holden worst-ever sales result + VW's incredible EV cash splash
AutoExpertTV

Published on Mar 22, 2018
Holden just posted its worst monthly sales in its entire 70-year history. How the mighty have fallen.

Also in this report: Volkswagen’s cash splash - the CEO almost drowns in money, while ze Chermans put the battery-powered squeeze on Elon Musk. (And we’ll bust a nut right at the end of the show - that’s always pleasant.)

But now, an annus horribilus update.

Holden posted its worst monthly sales in 70 years this February. The brand looks certain to drop out of the top 10 soon - it is currently eighth, the lowest it has been since it was established in 1948. It’s at an all-time low against every metric that matters.

Holden's market share has fallen from a high of 22 per cent in 2002 to just under five per cent today. Sales in February represented a massive slump of more than 18 per cent. Because there’s no more ‘real’ Holdens any more.

The red lion whimpered into eighth spot only a handful of vehicles ahead of the monkey spankers at Volkswagen in ninth place. Kia in 10th is also nipping on Holden’s heels by the narrowest of margins.
And both these competitors are on the way up, while Holden is making like Fat Man on August 9, 1945. A spectacular implosion.

Clearly we live in fictional times: Malcolm Turnbullshit, the Federal Member for harbourside mansions, is Australian Prime Mincer, his 2IC was up until recently the infamous Beetrooter, and Kia could soon out-sell Holden.

Together with the cake of Donald Trump’s upcoming impeachment, frosted lightly with Stormy Daniels, all we need now is the second coming of Christ, and we’d have the complete boxed set of nutty non-fiction.

In Holden’s case, this is of course the bed you make when you betray Australians on so many fronts - accepting millions from the taxpayer and failing to meet the moral obligations there, and betraying customers by the thousands with crap products, appalling reliability and disgraceful customer service.

Despite its previous brand cachet, in ute obsessed ‘Straya, Holden cannot even insert the Colorado into the top 10 vehicles - even though four utes are represented: Hilux (1st), Ranger (2nd), Triton (7th) and Navara (10th).

Small cars are the long-term most popular segment in the market - and yet Astra is absent from the top 10. Corolla is 3rd, Mazda3 is 4th, Hyundai i30 is 6th, and Hyundai Accent is 9th.

SUVs (CX-5 in 5th and RAV4 in 8th) make up the top 10. Holden can’t field a single car into the top 10. It’s unbelievable.

I'd hate to be a Holden spin doctor, because coming to work to talk up this kind of disaster would just make me feel dirty.

[Holden had been] “planning for a slower start to the year in terms of sales but it’s always our aim to sell more vehicles and our current market share is not where we want it to be” - Holden statement

And if that doesn’t have you reaching for the sick bag, try this:

“We’ve got our strongest product line-up ever, with more in the pipeline, so we expect to bounce back quickly.” - Holden spokesman Mark Flintoft.

Goodness me: vomit clean-up to aisle three, stat. You'd probably agree with my conclusion that things are pretty bad if that's the best the spin doctors can manage...

The fact is: Holden is on the nose with the Australian public. Declining popularity poses the risk of extreme depreciation in three to five years if you make the mistake of buying a Holden today. You have officially been warned.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Never ask a car dealer for advice | Auto Expert John Cadogan | Australia
AutoExpertTV

Published on Mar 23, 2018
Recently, a 41-year-old car salesman named Bradley Thomas Reeves pleaded guilty in the Supreme Court to 11 counts of obtaining benefit by deception after defrauding his employer, a car dealer, of nearly $470,000.

These funds were deceptively pocketed from Hidden Valley Ford over nearly two years. Mr Reeves used them vigorously to pursue his favourite hobby - gambling.

Apparently Mr Reeves, consumed with self-loathing and fear, negative emotions of that sort, just walked into a police station and said: ‘I’m not the messiah; I’m a very naughty boy.’ (I’m paraphrasing.)

Mr Reeves’ cunning scam centred around giving customers his own bank details, into which they would then deposit tens of thousands of dollars when they bought new cars.

He also offered customers big discounts for paying in cash, which he pocketed. Additionally, he sold trade-in cars to used car dealers and kept the proceeds, and he manipulated the dealership’s commercial records to cover for the missing money and the discrepancy in cars.

A barrister named Helena Blundell, acting for Mr Reeves, said her client’s cop-shop confession was him (quote) “making a cry for help”. I believe she said this with a straight face. Incredibly enough.

Mr Reeves was an enthusiastic but poor gambler, so he ended each month bereft of cash and therefore he had to wind up the steam-powered scam machine to keep life in the copacetic zone for the next few weeks.

Ms Blundell said because Reeves had nothing to show for his crimes, he couldn’t be described as being motivated by greed. She also said this with a completely straight face. I don’t know how.

The point is: You walk into a dealership, and you really don’t know if you’re interacting with someone whose moral compass is pointing towards Bradley Reeves or the Dalai Llama.

I’m not suggesting for a moment that car salesmen are all deceptive scumbags with the recessive Robin Hood gene - but I am suggesting it’s a good idea for you to manage risk and therefore be highly skeptical of everything you are told inside a dealership.

This is simply because you are vulnerable to exploitation in this environment. And ignorance is a primary delivery vector for exploitation. To the wrong salesman - a request for advice is a red flag that you are ignorant on some subject. It represents nothing more than an opportunity for the ethically ambivalent to gut you.

Even more worrying is ‘wanting to believe’. You want the car. But you need external validation to get it across the line. If the car salesman senses this - he might well give you all the validation you want. True or false - it’s all the same: Yeah: Great idea. Just sign here.

The pressure to sell is immense in these places. Car salesman are under the hammer, and it is relentless. Sell at any cost is often the mantra. On the other hand, you want to make the right choice (because then you have to live with it).

But a car salesman generally just wants to sell you a car - any car, but preferably one that’s in stock, preferably right now. Just sign here.
This must take place before you drive down the street and compare his car with any other car from any other competing brand, where you will interact with another dude just like him, who needs to gut you just as desperately as he does.

This is the wrong environment in which to procure advice. The risk is that the so-called ‘advice’ will be entirely self-serving - it could be true or completely false, but it will most likely be dished up to serve the agenda of gutting you - securing that all-important deposit and taking you off the market.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
⭐ THE DIY DELIMMA - My Flat Tire Repair Shop Rant!
⭐ Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 23, 2018
Short video rant on our experience with a local tire repair shop.

If you would like for us to showcase your channel, here is a video explaining the rules and conditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofoj8...

Jamie Ewing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUNJ...

PLEASE NOTE:
This channel is a member of The Astral Stars. We have a zero tolerance policy against the harassment of others, and foul language. Violators of this policy will automatically be BANNED. For further information, please visit https://TheAstralStars.com

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Bullshit Plausibility Matrix - secret scientific recipe for success in 2018
AutoExpertTV

Published on Mar 24, 2018
Bullshit Plausibility Matrix - secret scientific recipe for success in 2018

You asked for this. Don’t come bitching to me about it later:

Yesterday I released a report on why you should not seek advice on a new car at a dealership. (And you should not do this. Ever. It does not end well. (The captain of this ship asked a car dealer for advice. Just once. That’s all it takes.)

Lots of people have since asked me to present the Bullshit Plausibility Matrix from that video in a standalone report. So if you’ve already seen that, I harbour no desire to waste your time.

Maybe skip this one and go back to playing pocket billiards until your wife decrees that the lawn must be mowed before any future bilateral disrobing can occur.

"The Bullshit Relativity Matrix lecture needs to be shown in schools. Or, at the very least, spun off into its own video." - Tone 167

I’m not sure there’s sufficient cocaine in all of Mexico to convince a board of child psychologists that this is in fact a good idea, but thank you, Tone - keep up the lateral thinking mate. We might need that.

"Totally hilarious. That graph is genius. And true." - Barryhall7

Genius is a big word, Barry. But the only reason it’s amusing is because it is true - the acquisition of bullshit is easy, but layering it within a framework of truth took for ever to figure out. Comedy is hard work. Thank you.

"Two great shirts: bats and astronauts. Do give us a credit for your wardrobe John. Automotive expert and unlikely fashionista....." Claire Wright

Claire, if by ‘astronauts’ you mean ‘T-Rex in space’ then yes, we agree. It is, as you say, quite the challenge to conceive of a less likely fashionista. Wardrobe credit: Dangerfield.com.au - I’m sure a sponsorship with the world’s only YouTube garden gnome is imminent.

"Can you release a vid of just the Bullshit Plausibility Matrix? It's freaking awesome." - Aphrodite

Who am I to decline a request from the goddess of love, beauty, pleasure and procreation? But if it’s all the same to you, your most exalted greatness, I’ll take the first three only. Procreation, not so much.

Also, love’s a big over-rated - perhaps for the modern era we could replace ‘love’ and ‘procreation’ with ‘no strings attached steamy cheerleader hot tub encounters’ instead. Just a suggestion.

This oversight is probably why they replaced you with that peasant who thought being nice would solve everything, Jesus.

And now, in the immortal words of Morpheus: “The Bullshit Plausibility Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes.”

Let us therefore take the red pill:

[BULLSHIT PLAUSIBILITY MATRIX PKG]

Professor Cletus van Damme there - PhD, WTF, LMFAO. UN World scientific credibility ambassador for 2018. Winner of the no-ball prize for philosophy.

We’re very lucky to have him on the team.

I’m John Cadogan. Remember - bullshit is easy; it’s the reduction of doubt that challenges. Swim to towards the light and you’ll be successful beyond your wildest dreams. I hope this helps, and … thanks for watching.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Toyota 2.8 DPF failures & the moral case for particle filters | Auto Expert John Cadogan
AutoExpertTV

Published on Mar 24, 2018
Investigating the Toyota 2.8 DPF drama, and the moral case for DPFs.

Does Toyota have a problem with the DPF installation on its new 2.8-litre 1GD-FTV engine? That’s the one in the latest Hilux, Prado and Fortuner.

This is a ‘smoke/fire’ scenario. There are simply too many anecdotal reports of DPFs on these engines failing early, sometimes multiple, repeat failures, and in situations where they should not fail.

What I’ve learned so far is that this engine is the ‘fifth injector’ type - it’s got a separate fuel injector for the DPF to ramp up the temperature of the exhaust to achieve regeneration.

There seems to be two distinct failure modes - one involving blockage of the DPF and going into ‘limp mode’ - which is not all that much fun if you’re 500 kays out of Coober Pedy, or something. And the other infamous continuous ‘white smoke’ mode.

I’m surmising that the DPF blockage is due to under-enthusiastic regeneration, and the white smoke: over-enthusiastic. It may be that the fifth injector jams itself closed in the case of DPF blockage and jams itself open in the case of white smoke.

I’d be interested to hear your experience in the comments below, if you are a sufferer of either failure mode - and please let us know what treatment you received at the dealership, and whether or not they fixed the problem.

“Maybe a stupid question, but can't you take the DPF out and put it in your oven to burn out the stuff?” - Frederico AE

Ignoring for a moment that DPFs are designed to heat themselves up… Ignoring that they’re not exactly installed with quick-release couplings...

Ignoring that it’s probably something of a bad idea to carry a tin full of carcinogenic particles into one’s kitchen... Ignoring that it’s almost certainly a poor decision to put a tin full of carcinogenic particles in the same enclosure as one’s Sunday roast…

...this is a significant number of hurdles. But putting them aside, regeneration takes place at 600-700 degrees C, and my oven just doesn’t go that high.

Unfortunately, the implementation of DPFs by carmakers - failing to make them robustly reliable - has tarnished the reputation of the technology in much the same way that Ford and Volkswagen took the dual-clutch transmission into the prison shower, from which it emerged with its reputation around its ankles.

Dealers are seldom schooled in the ancient art of DPF failure diagnosis. DPFs usually fail as a consequence of some other, vestigially related problem.

If the dealer just changes the DPF without tackling the underlying issue, it just fails again and you are stuck in this insane ‘Groundhog Day’ loop, from which you declare from a pit of utter frustration that you will never buy another DPF-equipped vehicle again. Understandably.

According to the Department of Transport and Regional Services, specifically the Bureau of Transport and Regional Economics, ambient air pollution from motor vehicles in this country kills about 1500 people annually.

That’s about 50 per cent more deaths than the road toll.

Total cost of death and disease from motor vehicle pollution is estimated at $2.7 billion dollars. If you pay tax, you are footing this bill. You can download the report free. It’s called ‘Health Impacts of Transport Emissions in Australia: Economic Costs.’ It’s quite interesting, but at the same time, a bit of an insommnia cure.

You simply cannot make the case that exhaust pollution is not a problem because we are in ‘Straya’. The population here is among the world’s most urbanised, and our air pollution laws are among the worst in the developed world.

DPFs have nothing to do with climate change or smog or visual pollution. The particles trapped by DPFs give you lung cancer and cardiorespiratory diseases generally. If you don’t trap them, they kill people early.

In short, the moral (and economic) case for DPFs is abundantly clear. But the dodgy implementation of DPF systems by some - but not all - carmakers is something to be condemned.

This third-rate R&D has put a massive dent in the reputation of a technology that can only benefit the population as a whole in every city on earth, and it’s sparked a whole cottage industry of aftermarket DPF deletion - correction: Premature respiratory disease and death promoters.

If your DPF fails prematurely, do not cop the repair bill on the chin. Do not simply accept a DPF replacement without adequate investigation, diagnosis and resolution of the underlying problem.

Hold the carmaker’s feet to the fire on this - if the engineering is under-done, make them accountable. In Australia at least, consumer law is on your side - even after the warranty expires. Google ‘ACCC consumer guarantees’ for more. And if you’re possessed by a demon in the form of dodgy Toyota 2.8 DPF, let me know below.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Domino's Cries Trademark Infringement Against Samcrac, but is it Fair Use? - Rekieta Law
Rekieta Law

Published on Mar 20, 2018
Domino's has come out with strong statements against Samcrac because he had the audacity to buy a broken down delivery car and fix it up on his channel. Now they claim Trademark Infringement, but can he claim fair use?

***Domino's obviously didn't sponsor this video about them being lame. Also, I don't sell pizza.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Why The Dealer Doesn't Care If Your New Car Can't Be Fixed - Ep. 4.15
Steve Lehto

Published on Jan 10, 2018
I often hear from consumers who are baffled by the dealer's nonchalance when it comes to their inability to perform warranty repairs on a new vehicle. Turns out this is the result of the Lemon Law. I also explain how and why I mispronounce my own last name.

NOTE: Some Finns have pointed out to me that my explanation is off a bit. Jylhanlehto literally means "rugged woods." The name would mean something like, "The people from the rugged woods," but the first part is kind of implied but not literal since Lehto implies a living place or homestead.

There is a podcast of this video: https://soundcloud.com/stevelehto/why...

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The truth about Toyota 2.8 DPF blockage. (Bonus: Lawyers at dawn - yesssss!)
AutoExpertTV

Published on Mar 26, 2018
A battle is brewing over the reliability status of Toyota’s 2.8-litre diesel in Hilux, Fortuner and Prado. Some people say DPF failures in these vehicles are too common.

Toyota, having invested billions in the perception of reliability, recently let its lawyers off the chain, seemingly devoted to what I consider the grubby pursuit of shutting detractors up (never a good look, in my view).

Berrima Diesel Service is a small business with a decent name in servicing, modification and repairs. The company specialises in spanner-spinning for the blue singlet set.

The chaps at Berrima have been vocally critical of alleged 2.8 Toyota DPF failures, on Facebook. On Monday March the 19th they put up a post titled ‘Total Recall?’ and in part it said:

"Could this be the Official word! We've been posting up loudly the issues OUR customers that come to us have been having. Finally..... are Toyota fixing what could only be called a disregard for Australian Warranty Laws?? Failing DPFs on the Hilux, Prado and Fortuner range of the new common rail 2.8 Diesels. We have loads of customers that we don't even know, calling by the shop asking for help!"

Toyota’s butt-hurt lawyers responded with the threat of a Supreme Court injunction just four days later - a neat two-pager that was slightly more literate than Berrima diesel’s post, but still disgracefully clumsy in my view.

Interestingly, their only gripe appears to be that Berrima Diesel used the ‘R’ word (recall) when in fact no recall has been issued by Toyota.
Just for context I should tell you that recalls in Australia are issued only for serious potential safety defects. Serious defects that are not safety related operate wholly outside the recall rubric.

These non-safety faults are dealt with under the radar. They’re called ‘service bulletins’ or ‘service campaigns’ - and this is the house of semantic promiscuity Toyota’s butt-hurt appears to be built on.

The letter is a strident accusation that the post or posts are (quote) “false, misleading, inflammatory and defamatory”. Plus a predictable demand for their removal, and an apology and retraction (with the wording to be pre-approved by Toyota, naturally).

Failure to comply, the letter says, will result in Toyota commencing injunction proceedings in the Supreme Court - where the big T threatens to procure the removal of the posts, the apology its butt-hurt feelings apparently demand, plus damages and costs.

Personal opinion: It’s always important to listen for what’s not being said, if you want the truth. Nowhere in Toyota’s two-page butt-hurt missive do they allege the DPF installation is robust and reliable.
They just don’t like the word ‘recall’ apparently.

This behaviour - opinion - is disgraceful and undignified, but also amazing.

“Your misuse of Facebook to post false, misleading, inflammatory and defamatory posts has damaged and continues to damage TMCA and its reputation.”

This appears to be a proportionally absurd statement. How would we measure the damage to Toyota and its reputation? Sales is probably the best way. Toyota is the top-selling carmaker in Australia - and sales are up 16.4 per cent so far this year, and 12.1 per cent up for February (the most recent month for which sales data is available).
Hilux was the top-selling vehicle in the whole country in February. 4X4 Hilux sales were up almost 37 per cent in February, and more than 40 per cent, year to date. Exactly what damage are these arsehole lawyers talking about? How do they look at their own reflections in the mirror with a straight face?

“TMCA will be advising Facebook of your misuse of its social media platform”

To Toyota’s legal team and senior executive management I’d suggest engaging with reality is the thing to do at this point.

And then of course there’s the fundamental issue of the DPF and its in-service robustness or otherwise:

“Ordered a 2018 Prado recently - before discovering the DPF problem. After alerting my friendly dealer to the real prospect of an urgent warranty call from the middle of the Canning Stock Route I'm advised to take an ODB2 Scanner in order to do a manual DPF Regen just like the Dealer's service shop.” - GreyNomad

That’s a comment from yesterday. If you’re not from around here, the Canning Stock Route is arguably Australia’s most arduous off-road adventure. 1800 kilometres of busted-arse desert wilderness that not even a dingo would dignify by pissing on.

At times you can be 600 miles from the nearest espresso machine. It’s scary stuff. No drive throughs. No WiFi. No YouTube. Complete sensory deprivation.

I think that’s very interesting advice from the dealer, about the scanner. It probably would not have been forthcoming if the DPF installation were rock solid.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Toyota DPF-Gate: Diesel Emissions Defeat Device Allegations Emerge | Auto Expert John Cadogan
AutoExpertTV

Published on Mar 27, 2018
New wrinkle in the Toyota DPF story I’ve been covering for the past few days. Links to the earlier reports at the end of this video.
I was sent this yesterday. I’m gunna keep this guy’s identity confidential, but he sounds credible to me. Check this out.

"John, you may find this interesting.

"I’m currently employed as a mechanical engineer with a mining contractor with a fleet of over 200 current model mining spec Toyota Hiluxes in various body configurations depending on the individual mine’s policy.

"After ongoing issues with the DPF, which resulted in multiple vehicles being banned from site due to excessive exhaust fuming, I was tasked to investigate this ongoing occurrence.

"After four months of in-house investigations the conclusion was reached unanimously that the position and angle of the fifth injector, along with highly turbulent and unregulated gas flow, was the issue.
Put simply, impurities were severely restricting or blocking the injector and/ or injector port, or (worst-case scenario) simply jamming the injector open, and the ECU was failing to recognize the subsequent issue just defaulted into limp-home.

"Our final report was supplied to Toyota but no further action has been taken. But, we did receive an interesting gift in the post from Toyota - a defeat box that plugs into the DPF loom and instructions on how to remove the DPF from the vehicle!

"The electrical engineers have now replicated the circuitry, understand how it defeats the system and applied to all the Toyota Hiluxs on the site I work on. The circuitry is also flexible enough to defeat other brands of vehicles that employ similar systems.

"Understandably not ideal under any circumstances but the DPF issue has been overcome somewhat. Again great info, great vid. Look forward to the next." (Name withheld.)

I have no way to verify any of this information, but it gels in some ways with other information I’ve been sent. And, being an engineer myself I’d have to say, the terminology is right. He sounds like an engineer, to me.

If these allegations are true, I am gobsmacked at Toyota’s behaviour. And the mine operator’s. Obviously, vehicles in mines and on mine sites are not registered, and they probably do not need to remain ADR compliant.

So from that point of view there seems no problem with removing a DPF on a vehicle used in these locations. However, and this is a big ‘however’: Do these people have no grasp of workplace safety regulations?

There is no debate about whether the particles trapped by DPFs are harmful to human health. They emphatically are. They cause cancer and other respiratory illnesses. There’s no medical debate on this.
How is it therefore defensible, acceptable and legal to modify a vehicle in a workplace and for those modifications to pose a greater risk to human health than previously? How is it defensible for Toyota to supply parts and technical support that increase the risk to human health in those workplaces?

I stress that I cannot verify the underlying truth of these allegations. But to me, it does sound like a bad look. And it sounds credible.
In my view, diesel exhaust particles are the asbestos of the 21st Century. If the same workplace liberties were being taken right now with asbestos in the workplace, or uranium, or just dust, heads would roll.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Beware Of Shady Mechanics
bigherc916

Published on Mar 14, 2018
Finding a good tuner is harder than you think and lot of times a Shop’s reputation may be overrated. I’ve dealt with some reputable tuners in my area and after going to Izzy’s Performance in Gardena I realized that the guys I had been dealing with didn’t know jack.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Beware the Auto Wrap Scam - Lehto's Law Ep. 4.27
Steve Lehto

Published on Apr 4, 2018
A recent twist on the Craigslist Scam has people thinking they can make money by wrapping their car with ads. The catch is when they ask you to wire some of "their" money to someone else. It's a scam and here's how it works and how to avoid it.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Ranger Danger: How Ford fights fire risk with BS | Auto Expert John Cadogan
AutoExpertTV

Published on Apr 6, 2018
This is a design deficiency that might kill you. So it’s hardly a bullshit-appropriate issue, I’d suggest. The truth might even be a powerful asset here. What a pity Ford apparently cannot see this.

Ford produced a video it contextualised as (quote) “an important message for Ford Ranger owners” and pushed it live but unlisted it on its YouTube channel the day after they issued the official recall in December.

It leads me to conclude they didn’t exactly fall all over themselves to rush the recall into the public domain. Seems to me like they burned significant time writing a script, getting the assets together, commissioning a film crew, shooting, cutting, approving and uploading it.

In the context of safety advice, Ford’s statements are disgraceful and inappropriate. What they’re allowed to get away with saying is in no way proportional the seriousness of the risk posed by this design deficiency.

Nothing like putting public safety first. Seriously: Nothing like it.
It’s important to check your vehicle for any debris or build-up and clear it out. We recommend you visit your local Ford dealership, who is on hand to assist.

Pronouns - so complex. But more to the point: If you drive over grass, thus opening the door to your very own ‘Joan of Arc/Ranger’ moment, the official advice is: drive to your local Ford dealer.

To me, it just doesn’t seem responsible to advise anyone to drive for some significant distance, during which the DPF might - heaven forbid - regenerate - whence it will reach 750 degrees C - which is roughly three times the absolute autoignition temperature of grass.

So, you’ve got the fuel, you’ve got the heat input, you’ve got massive airflow. Bingo! On balance, driving to the dealer after driving on grass seems like quite poor advice to me. Perhaps, there’s an alternative.
If you want to clean it out yourself here’s how it’s done.

If you want to. That’s an interesting way to put it. Because I want a rich tapestry of predictable things, some of them even above the waist, but not one of those things is the opportunity to clean out a dodgy, badly designed Ford DPF installation.

If I just paid nearly $70 grand for a Ford Ranger Wildtrak, I specifically want not to have to do this. Not once. Not ever. I want a bunch of engineers to protect me from this risk. That’s why I paid them the big bucks.

Call me demanding, but I’d suggest this issue is outside the subjective domain of ‘what I want to do’ and inside the objective domain of not burning to death in my new Ranger because Ford got the design wrong.

Be sure that the ignition’s been switched off for at least an hour.
An hour. Stop for an hour every time I drive on the grass? Seriously? That sounds impractical, inconvenient, inefficient and un-workable. I’m digging deep here to remain dignified. Can you tell?

When cleaning it’s advisable to use proper protective wares, like gloves and safety glasses.

I suppose this is an inevitable consequence of getting spin doctors to write the script. Protective ‘wares’. Really? I always thought it was ‘protective ‘equipment’.

As the diesel particulate filter cleans your exhaust emissions and protects the environment…

[SIGHS] Particle filters don’t protect the environment. They filter carcinogenic exhaust particles. Thus they protect people. Science of truck...

So once you clear any debris, it’s important to avoid driving over high grass or vegetation.

Is that a joke? Just don’t drive on grass.

Incredibly, this is the official advice. Just turn back. Grass ahead. It would be more credible for Ford dealers to hand out manicure scissors to cut down any malevolent dry grass ahead, perhaps with a makeup brush to sweep it out of the way.

Still, Ford is nothing if not consistent on the pyromania front. Forty-seven years of utter dependability there. I see no evidence they’re even making an attempt to take responsibility for this disgracefully design. I’m John Cadogan. You might use this notion to make an informed new vehicle purchasing decision. Thanks for watching.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Ultimate bad look? (When a car dealer sues a customer.) | AutoExpert John Cadogan
AutoExpertTV

Published on Apr 13, 2018
A Holden dealer in Queensland is threatening to sue an elderly couple, over an online video. Seems heavy handed to me.

This video is a duplicate of the one I uploaded on April 11. For some reason YouTube's back end only made that available in 360p. I waited 48hrs as advised by Creator Support and re-uploaded...

The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXv9V...
Let Tait Motors know what you think: http://www.taitholden.com.au/ContactU...

It would be fair to say that Ken and Wendy Knox, from the sleepy outback NSW hamlet of Boomi, north of Moree, wish they’d never bought a shitbox Colorado and they certainly wish they’d they’d never set foot inside Tait Motors, a Holden dealership in Goondowindi, which is now threatening to sue them.

I think it’s fair to say negotiations have broken down utterly. There appears to be two versions of events. The version put forward by the lemon car lobbyists who produced the video paints a picture of the quintessential ageing Aussie battlers getting screwed over by a country dealer with its finger in a lot of small town pies and enough cash to hire an expensive law firm.

Mr Knox has apparently also been charged as a public nuisance by the local council after what he says was a peaceful demonstration outside the dealership. However, there’s an assault charge pending against him, which he denies.

The Tait dealership claims the truth is essentially the polar opposite set of circumstances. Not only has the car been great - except for needing a new engine because of excessive oil consumption (it is, after all, a Colorado) - they are also saints, apparently.

I formed the view, from the Tait Motors version of events and various reactions, that the dealership sits on the summit of Bullshit Mountain, metaphorically, and offers the opportunity for potential customers to enjoy an espresso on the terrace, from which they might survey the moral arc of humanity beneath, while parting with their cash.

In my view it’s a real roll of the dice for a business to sue a customer like this. Because if they lose the case, the court basically endorses what’s been said about them, and then everyone is free to say it - until the heat death of the universe.

The message is also amplified, because reporters hate assaults on the freedom of speech, and the battlers taking on the big end of town and winning is always a nice story to report. There’s even a video that can show excerpts from, with impunity.

It’s like the world’s worst anti-advertising campaign, if Tait loses. So there’s that.

Holden has a reputation for breaching Australian Consumer Law. The ACCC recently put Holden’s head in a vice and forced it to admit those breaches and sign a court-enforceable undertaking that’s so big and so detailed that you can see it from space.

You can bet that this stench of non-compliance leaches from head office into at least some dealers, over many years. It becomes a cultural thing. I make no comment on this in relation to Tait Motors specifically. But my point is: Threatening to sue an elderly couple is a bad look for a carmaker struggling to rebuild its botched reputation.

As a potential customer I would not want to stand in the Tait Motors showroom and worry that if I were to end up in a dispute with them, they would have their lawyers sue me for injurious falsehood rather than just solve my problem. Small towns are funny, too. Word gets around.

I really doubt that these potential damage assessments have been sufficiently considered by Tait Motors.

If it all does go south at 100 miles an hour, there’s the risk the dealership might bring the Holden brand into disrepute - and I’m sure that’s grounds for termination of the company’s franchise agreement, which would doubtless represent more fun and games for Shand Taylor Lawyers.

So to Tait Motors I’d suggest: Harden up. It’s an online video. If its allegations in it are from the crackpot fringe, devote the time and effort to it that such things deserve. That is: ignore it. Sticks and stones. And if the allegations are substantially true, do what you can to put the pin back in the grenade, urgently, before it goes off in your faces.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Someone Sold You a Previously Wrecked Car? - Lehto's Law Ep. 4.11
Steve Lehto

Published on Dec 13, 2017
What do you do if someone sold you a car that was previously wrecked? What laws apply and when is it worth pursuing? This is one of the most common calls I get at my law office. There is a podcast of this video: https://soundcloud.com/stevelehto/som...