• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Cryptorials: Learn How To Make Money Trading Altcoins

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Learn How To Make Money Trading Altcoins
September 23, 2015
Dean Owner, Editor, and lead writer for Cryptorials.

Altcoins, or alternative digital currencies, are one of the most exciting markets for traders today. They are highly volatile, fast paced markets, in which a lot of money can be made in a short space of time. Make no mistake: this is a high risk activity to get involved in, but one in which the potential returns outstrip any other market I am aware of by orders of magnitude. In this article I will introduce you to some of the ‘need to know’ facts that all beginner’s should be aware of, and provide links to some of the best resources and tools for learning how to make money trading altcoins.

Altcoins: The Penny Stocks of the 21st Century
In many ways trading altcoins is similar to investing in penny stocks, and that comparison has been made many times in the past by other authors. But in other ways it is very different.

In case you don’t know, penny stocks are the shares of smaller businesses and early stage companies, which have a much lower value than regular stocks. They are also much more volatile, often experiencing gains of more than 100% in a single day – or disappearing altogether overnight.

There are some important lessons that can be taken from penny stock trading and applied to altcoins:
  1. Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket: The first thing you will learn about penny stocks is that you should spread your capital out among as many different shares as possible, to reduce the chances that you will lose everything. The majority of new business will fail in their first few years, meaning that their shares will drop in value to zero. The same is true for altcoins – many new coins will completely fail within the first year of trading. It’s also true that, although there is a lot you can do to make sure you pick the winners, there are also so many unknowns that there is no such thing as a certainty. It is often tempting to go ‘all in’ on an exciting opportunity you believe could make 1000% returns, but this can easily end your career as an altcoin trader before it has even begun
  2. Don’t believe the hype (or the FUD): The smaller a market is, the easier it is to manipulate. Penny stocks have always been subject to a large amount of professional hype, and this is certainly true for cryptocurrency as well. Professional promoters will hype up a coin, through newsletters and tip services, through social media and blogs and even through advertising. They may be paid by the coin’s developers who wish to increase the value of their holdings, or they may wish to increase the value of their own holdings. In either case, the kind of artificial price pump driven by this kind of hype is often followed by a price crash as the people behind it cash out at the higher price. This is sometimes called a ‘Pump and Dump’ or just ‘P&D’. In a similar way, FUD can be deliberately spread in order to artificially drive down the price so that the people behind it can pick up cheap coins. It is always true in life, but doubly true when researching altcoins for trading, that you should always be skeptical of what you read, do your own research, and make up your own mind.
  3. Be Quick to Take Losses, Slow to Take Profits: One of the biggest mistakes that penny stock traders make is to take profits on winners too soon, but keep hold of the losers until they are worthless. I have seen this a lot in cryptocurrency trading as well. In both of these niches it is common for the majority of your picks to lose money. When a trader sees profits of 50%, 100% or even higher in a relatively short space of time it is very easy for emotions to kick in and overtake any reasoned assessment. This may feel like a great profit, you may fear losing it and want to lock in the profit, or you may just get excited and impatient to realize your gains even though the price is still trending upwards. But because in both penny stocks and altcoins you are likely to pick a lot of losers, you need to get very high profits on the winners to come out with a good profit overall – so even a 100% profit on a winning pick may not be as great as it might seem. At the same time, many traders become emotionally invested in what they buy, and find it hard to give up hope and sell even when it is clear that the price is going down, and in this way they end up losing most or all of the value of their investment when they could have cut their losses much earlier if they had taken a more rational approach.
One key difference between penny stocks and alternative digital currency is that the former may take years to realize a profit, whereas the cryptocurrency world is very fast paced indeed. Retail penny stock traders may be able to pick out companies with potential and then only check back on them every few months – in fact from one month to the next there may be little or no new information to use for re-evaluating your position. In cryptocurrency this would not be a good idea at all. You should only get involved in a market like this is if you are ready and willing to spend a lot of time at your computer, regularly checking on price movements and the latest news, and changing your positions accordingly.

-----------------------------------------------
Article continues at link...

http://cryptorials.io/learn-how-to-make-money-trading-altcoins/

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I've yet to confirm, but I think this would make Zeit the first ultra low inflation PoS(Proof of Stake) coin out there. Zeitcoin has been on a nice run, in part because of this and in part just tagging along with the run up in Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc...

http://www.digitalcurrencyalliance.com/altcoin-news/zeitcoin-pos-go-ultra-low-inflation/

I stack a lot of these types of coins(Proof of Stake) because they don't require mining equipment at all to generate. Instead holders of the coins themselves both defend the network from attackers and process transactions. As a result there is almost zero power wasted generating new supply. Obviously that also means that some coins have insane inflation rates(Tek, HYP), which is fine if you know that going in, but others, like Zeit have very reasonable inflation rates(currently 5%) that are very gradual.

This inflation rate is paid to holders of the currency that have their wallets online(staking) as a reward for both defending the network and processing transactions.

Last edited:

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
They are highly volatile, fast paced markets, in which a lot of money can be made in a short space of time. Make no mistake: this is a high risk activity to get involved in, but one in which the potential returns outstrip any other market I am aware of by orders of magnitude.
Xaurum seems like as good of an example of that, that I've seen yet. In a matter of just a few days last year, it went from a relatively stable mid 100's up to $1700 and back down to about $1 and right now it's @ 23 cents.

xaurum.PNG

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Yeah looks like XAUR is up a relatively tame 270% YTD in market cap(FRNs). Really awesome performance from an overall investment standpoint but nothing to write home about in the alt crypto currency world.

For instance, my largest crypto holding went up 1740% in terms of market cap(FRNs) just since late April. It has recently pulled back a bit, but the gains have been enormous and I think it's building a base for another leg up.

Some of these things are big risk and huge reward propositions, so you have to be selective as well as comfortable with some big swings.

Last edited:

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Here's an old skool PoS alt that was abandoned by its dev. He, Palm Detroit is one of the most talented developers in the alt coin space so despite his chain not seeing an update in over a year it still hums along perfectly.

Anyway, it's about to get a kickstart as a new development team has just moved in and begun work. The coin is trading at ridiculously low levels due to the neglect, but was once a favorite. It's a PoS coin with a relatively high inflation rate, but there are less than 2.5m coins in existence.

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/philosopher-stones/
http://philosopherstones.org/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=830427.440;topicseen

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Zeitcoin rises 150% in just a week.
9 hours ago

archane2845 in cryptocurrency

Zeitcoin, one of the highest rewarding proof of stake coins out there, with fast transfer times and promise of a high staking return of 25% in the fist year, 20% in the second year, and 5% each year after that makes it one of the highest return rates of all coins. This clone of Mintcoin is highly underrated, and only traded on a few exchanges now.
http://www.zeit-coin.net/

With a market capitalization just under $3 million dollars a week ago rising to $5,200,000 today, this coin has a lot of room to grow in value, making it head to the moon in percentage gain terms.

The rise in value has increased the coin's value by 150% in the past week.

https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@archane28/zeitcoin-rises-150-in-just-a-week
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/zeitcoin/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...actually it's up 160% in 7 days if I'm nitpicking.

Ethereum also continues its ridiculous performance. It's at 341FRNs right at this moment. It was 7.5ish on new year's day as I recall. A totally insane 4400% return YTD.
http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethereum/

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Bitshares (BTS) has been my biggest crypto performer on a $-basis (but not my biggest performer on a %-basis). I sold half of my BTS yesterday to take some money off the table because of the recent 48-hour rise in price but after selling 3,060 BTS yesterday, I still have 3,651 BTS left in my Bitshares 2.0 wallet to stay in the game.

For those who do not know what Bitshares (BTS) is or how it works, the following link gives a detailed explaination of what it is and how you can make money with it:

https://www.deepdotweb.com/2017/06/05/make-money-online-bitshares-decentralized-exchange-network/

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I was curious how you chose the alts you did. BTS, XWC, DOGE... Others?

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I was curious how you chose the alts you did. BTS, XWC, DOGE... Others?
Mainly because I was dabbling in alt cryptos. I picked Bitshares (BTS) because it appeared back in 2014 they did some stuff different than what Bitcoin was doing such as the decentralized exchange idea and my "gut feeling" in 2014 about it "being different" from bitcoin. Despite that Dogecoin is an inflationary coin (no cap on how many to be minted), my reason for picking DOGE was because of the meme and community support and they were cheap at 30-45 satoshi per DOGE when I was earning them from the Dogecoin faucets. My reason for Whitecoin because, at that time in 2014, that was the only coin that was my first and the only proof of stake coin that I got for well under 100 satoshi per XWC.

I dabbled in many other alt-coins in 2014 via trading between alt coins but many of those died including Saffroncoin which I made the most trading profit on before it died. I used the trading profits from Saffroncoin(SFR) and other pump-and-dump alt cryptos (now dead coins) to invest in BTC, XWC and DOGE back in 2014. My biggest alt-coin loser was Credits (CR) which was abandoned by the dev and I had a major trading loss on it but I was able to get out of CR before it stopped being traded on the major exchanges. I was doing all of this in 2014-early 2015 before I decided to concentrate on earning Bitcoin from the BTC faucets. Once I concentrated on the earning bitcoin from the bitcoin faucets, I did not bother with alt-coins from that point on until now.

Last edited:

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Interesting. What's the inflation rate on XWC? ...do you know off hand? I seem to recall it being 1%, but I never stacked any.

Doge is doge...I use it only when necessary. Always thought the meme thing was rather silly, but it sure took off. I concentrate mostly on proof of stake coins because I like the (mostly) green idea behind it, though it is less decentralized than proof of work coins. With the big test coming for bitcoin in August it will be interesting to see if there's a spike in PoS type coins, as those would never suffer from the "problem" bitcoin is currently...with Chinese miners blocking technological advancements for their own self-interests.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Interesting. What's the inflation rate on XWC? ...do you know off hand? I seem to recall it being 1%, but I never stacked any.

Doge is doge...I use it only when necessary. Always thought the meme thing was rather silly, but it sure took off. I concentrate mostly on proof of stake coins because I like the (mostly) green idea behind it, though it is less decentralized than proof of work coins. With the big test coming for bitcoin in August it will be interesting to see if there's a spike in PoS type coins, as those would never suffer from the "problem" bitcoin is currently...with Chinese miners blocking technological advancements for their own self-interests.
Honestly I do not know. I have not looked at XWC until recently when I realized that I my XWC wallet was still good, however, I never staked any XWC which was probably a mistake on my part but I was a newbie to alt-coins in 2014.

Yeah the DOGE meme is silly but I could not resist being in an alt-coin that community that seems to still support it. If I eventually get tired of holding it, then I might sell it for bitcoin if there is a big drop in BTC. In the meantime, I will hang in to DOGE because I like the meme and the community support. I do disagree with the inflationary aspect of DOGE being that there is no cap on the amount of coins to be mined but it is what it is.

At lot of this is just luck for me especially when Bitshares appreciated like it did and my token bitcoin investment being up 281% before I got out of it on May 11, 2017.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Yeah, too bad you weren't staking your XWC all this time. Compound interest is a powerful force, and in the alt coin space it can really make you a bundle.

What you're looking for isn't necessarily a drop in BTC/USD, that's irrelevant for your purposes, you're looking for a spike in DOGE relative to BTC. That's a totally different animal.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
What you're looking for isn't necessarily a drop in BTC/USD, that's irrelevant for your purposes, you're looking for a spike in DOGE relative to BTC. That's a totally different animal.
Yep that is correct.

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
No crypto's for me, I can't get my head around that stuff.

#48Fan

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Hey solarion, what are your thought on xem? I read that they will be releasing an update to their system sometime this summer.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I'm not overly familiar with NEM, mostly because it only pays out transaction + node fees(I'm a capitalist). I know it's a java scripted PoI(proof-of-importance) platform based currency, there's around 9b out there I believe.

I liken it to XRP(ripple), though I believe XEM is strictly peer to peer, whereas ripple has basically what amounts to a server/slave trust system. Edge to XEM there as peer to peer is better imo, and there are also far fewer of them out there than ripple. Not sure I'm a buyer here, but it has had a nice pullback after a huge run up. I understand it's one of the currencies Japan is looking into. Probably trying to steal the cool parts and make a bankster version. lol

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Compound interest BAY-BEE! Just call me the federal reserve of Zeitcoin. :)

Gotta love staking day. If any of my fellow degenerate speculators want to set up a wallet and post up/PM me a Zeitcoin receiving addy, I'll drop a couple hundred k on you to get you started with alts.

:::Warning::: Being your own bank is addictive. That is all...

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
No crypto's for me, I can't get my head around that stuff.
Understood. The learning curve is steep. If you think of them as your own private bank that you connect via the interwebz to other privately owned banks then you won't be far off.

Much of the revolutionary tech here lies in the publicly shared ledger(blockchain) that keeps track of every single coin, allows messaging, processes transactions, etc. Most of that stuff happens under the hood though so you pretty much just see a "bank" statement, like the one posted above.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
All you must have is the wallet itself. Double click on it and wait. Unfortunately it'll take a week to sync with the network if you do it that way. A much faster way is to download what's called a bootstrap...or a snapshot and "jumpstart" the syncing process. Here's a fairly well written explanation:
https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Forum/Thread/1336?postId=7831

Links to the wallet file are right there in that thread as well. Alternatively you can just go to https://www.zeit-coin.net/ and grab the files there.

#48Fan

Silver Member
Silver Miner
All you must have is the wallet itself. Double click on it and wait. Unfortunately it'll take a week to sync with the network if you do it that way. A much faster way is to download what's called a bootstrap...or a snapshot and "jumpstart" the syncing process. Here's a fairly well written explanation:
https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Forum/Thread/1336?postId=7831

Links to the wallet file are right there in that thread as well. Alternatively you can just go to https://www.zeit-coin.net/ and grab the files there.
Well, that was a learning experience, but I think I finally figured it out, hehe.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I got a zeit wallet last week and after 3 days of no sync I just figured there was no way for me to figure this stuff out. I'll try reading the links and see if that helps. Thanks for posting.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Zeitcoin has been around since 2014 and its blockchain is quite long so it takes awhile to sync the first time, unless you use a bootstrap file. Then it could be done in a few hours. Use the directions at the link I posted, then drop me your address and I'll send you some coins.

It does not have to be synced to receive coins, but your wallet won't know they have them, until it's synced.

On the bottom right of the wallet are indicators to tell you what's going on. If you hover over any of them with your mouse, a flyout menu will give you detailed information about syncing progress, staking progress, connected nodes, etc...

#48Fan

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Zeitcoin has been around since 2014 and its blockchain is quite long so it takes awhile to sync the first time, unless you use a bootstrap file. Then it could be done in a few hours. Use the directions at the link I posted, then drop me your address and I'll send you some coins.

It does not have to be synced to receive coins, but your wallet won't know they have them, until it's synced.

On the bottom right of the wallet are indicators to tell you what's going on. If you hover over any of them with your mouse, a flyout menu will give you detailed information about syncing progress, staking progress, connected nodes, etc...
Thanks, bro, I really appreciate it! It is still syncing up. What is the deal with "minting"? Not sure I understand that at all.

MiXnoqWo4QzSAohzuAoXaq6bK8VremhPt6

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I think my system cant handle mining or minting or something. Whenever I open the wallet my firefox starts to crash. Probably my old ass computer along with a dsl connection. I'll look through the bootstrap stuff tomorrow and see whats up. Be nice if I could just run this when I'm sleeping.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Thanks, bro, I really appreciate it! It is still syncing up. What is the deal with "minting"? Not sure I understand that at all.

MiXnoqWo4QzSAohzuAoXaq6bK8VremhPt6
This is you.

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/zeit/address.dws?MiXnoqWo4QzSAohzuAoXaq6bK8VremhPt6.htm

I sent 2k as a test to ensure it was an empty wallet. Will send the rest momentarily. Enjoy.

Minting is the process of generating new currency supply. With Zeitcoin, every holder of the currency that's actively processing transactions gets a reward in the form of brand new currency paid directly to them. The inflation rate for Zeitcoin is currently 5% without taking compounding into account. That will drop to .0005% in a few months as ULI(ultra low inflation) is added. The resulting drop in supply will raise the value of the current supply. Basically Zeitcoin will then become a deflationary currency like bitcoin...only Zeitcoin is much much faster.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I think my system cant handle mining or minting or something. Whenever I open the wallet my firefox starts to crash. Probably my old ass computer along with a dsl connection. I'll look through the bootstrap stuff tomorrow and see whats up. Be nice if I could just run this when I'm sleeping.
Initial syncing of a new wallet is a computer resource hog. It chews up my monster computer's resources too when I do several new nodes at once. When it's up to date, resource usage will drop to only a few percent. From there it goes up only slightly when you have mature coins competing for stake on the blockchain.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Initial syncing of a new wallet is a computer resource hog. It chews up my monster computer's resources too when I do several new nodes at once. When it's up to date, resource usage will drop to only a few percent. From there it goes up only slightly when you have mature coins competing for stake on the blockchain.
I DL'ed the bootstrap and copied the .dat file into the Zeitcoin directory per the instructions. Now all I get is the splash screen, wheras the first time I ran it prior to copying the .dat file, the wallet actually opened soon after running it. Is this normal?

So far it's been running for 4 hours. Has steady mem usage of 235k, 50% cpu. None of the files in its directory are growing in size, either. I would assume that one of the other .dat files should be getting larger, no? It appears to be doing nothing.

Prior to DLing the bootstrap, the wallet loaded and was slowly syncing.

#48Fan

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Thanks again Solarion! Yeah, I had a few issues getting the .dat file to work. Had to put it in the directory a couple times but finally got it. Like I was saying, all of this is a huge learning curve for me. My CPU is also old (about 10 yrs), just have to keep at it lol.

So, what is the strategy with this alt going forward?

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I DL'ed the bootstrap and copied the .dat file into the Zeitcoin directory per the instructions. Now all I get is the splash screen, wheras the first time I ran it prior to copying the .dat file, the wallet actually opened soon after running it. Is this normal?

So far it's been running for 4 hours. Has steady mem usage of 235k, 50% cpu. None of the files in its directory are growing in size, either. I would assume that one of the other .dat files should be getting larger, no? It appears to be doing nothing.

Prior to DLing the bootstrap, the wallet loaded and was slowly syncing.
Nope, that doesn't sound right, blk0001.dat should be growing. Suggest you close the wallet, delete everything in \AppData\Roaming\ZeitCoin with the exception of zeitcoin-qt.exe(if it's in that directory). After that download the latest snapshot from here:
https://mega.nz/#!ONwCRLZY!kIVUqlgZFBZz9JGVQojcxeNoiK7l-U0pBLI9Sfn0TY0

...after you have the file restart your wallet, close your wallet, then extract the snapshot file you downloaded to \AppData\Roaming\ZeitCoin, then restart. The client should rescan the new blockchain then start syncing from a much more recent point in the blockchain.
Thanks again Solarion! Yeah, I had a few issues getting the .dat file to work. Had to put it in the directory a couple times but finally got it. Like I was saying, all of this is a huge learning curve for me. My CPU is also old (about 10 yrs), just have to keep at it lol.

So, what is the strategy with this alt going forward?
You're welcome, glad you got it going. :beer:

The usual strategy is to enjoy some sexy staking while awaiting the hardfork to ULI(Ultra Low Inflation). Your coins in your wallet will become mature in 20 days provided they do not move. Mature coins compete with other mature blocks of coins on the network for the "reward" which is new currency supply called "stake". The process is called minting, though the wallet calls those new coins "mined", but the result is the same...you get moar coins for doing nothing except holding. The coins are yours though, so if you want to send them to an exchange and swap them for another alt or bitcoin, you're free to do so at any time.

I recommend you keep the Zeitcoins to check out staking. If you choose to do so then you should encrypt your wallet and create a backup to store in a safe place. Do this by pressing settings > Encrypt Wallet and follow instructions(it's really easy).

Encrypting your wallet.dat file serves two purposes. First it makes them nearly impossible to steal because there's a password required to do nearly anything after encryption. Hopefully your password is very long and something you can remember without ever writing down.

Secondly it helps with PoS coins, like Zeitcon, by preventing the wallet from trying to stake until you unlock the wallet for minting. This is important because when the wallet is unlocked and not synced to the network mature coins will try staking anyway and will create orphans(stake blocks that the rest of the network rejects) and these can slow down your wallet performance over time.

Last edited:

#48Fan

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I am definitely going to hold on to them. One quick question though, do I have to keep the wallet running all the time?

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
You do not. It only needs to run and be unlocked for staking when you have mature coins(20 days). Of course you'll have to re-sync everything you've missed from now till then, but that won't take too long.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Nope, that doesn't sound right, blk0001.dat should be growing. Suggest you close the wallet, delete everything in \AppData\Roaming\ZeitCoin with the exception of zeitcoin-qt.exe(if it's in that directory). After that download the latest snapshot from here:
https://mega.nz/#!ONwCRLZY!kIVUqlgZFBZz9JGVQojcxeNoiK7l-U0pBLI9Sfn0TY0

...after you have the file restart your wallet, close your wallet, then extract the snapshot file you downloaded to \AppData\Roaming\ZeitCoin, then restart. The client should rescan the new blockchain then start syncing from a much more recent point in the blockchain.
Ok, thanks. Deleted everything, restated wallet, closed wallet, copied .dat file, restarted wallet and now it says importing bootstrap data file and now blk0001.dat is growing in size. Hopefully it will work this time.
I've DL'ed and installed several wallets with bootstrap, but Zeitcoin is the only one so far that's given me any issues like this. Most of the other wallets have zero balance, but I did buy a few Moon coins. About US$10 equivalent. I know, I know, such a high roller I am. lol Oh, I bought a few hundred digibytes too, then the price fell. double lol there.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Glad it's working. You know there's a difference between the bootstrap file and snapshot right? I've had issues with bootstrap files with a few coins, but snapshots tend to just work. Also bootstraps generally take longer to get synced up. The wallet is getting a bit dated, but the Zeit devs have been working on the ULI fork and so I believe they intend to roll up all the changes into one update.

lol Mooncoin makes me chuckle a bit, but it's a Zeitcoin currency pairing now, so I can't hate on it too much. Well fire a Zeitcoin deposit address at me and you can have some of those to goof off with.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Glad it's working.
I thought it was working, but after about 4 hours the file size had only increased to about 300MB and when I clicked on the splash screen that was still up, a box popped up saying the program stopped interacting with windows. So I deleted the bootstrap file and ran it again. Now wallet loads but I've still got 1083 days to go.

You know there's a difference between the bootstrap file and snapshot right? I've had issues with bootstrap files with a few coins, but snapshots tend to just work.
Yes, zeitcoin has by far given me the most trouble in trying to get it going.

lol Mooncoin makes me chuckle a bit, but it's a Zeitcoin currency pairing now, so I can't hate on it too much. Well fire a Zeitcoin deposit address at me and you can have some of those to goof off with.
I'm tryin' to. lol
...and the Mooncoins, I just bought 'em because they were so cheap. I figured WTH

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Nice. Shame you had so much trouble with it, but it'll all be worth it when you get your first stake coins hot off the blockchain! :green tea:

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
One of the most fundamental...and therefore vital things to keep in mind if you wish to be successful trading alts is that you absolutely cannot measure value in fiat terms. If you do this it will make it difficult to wrap your head around what's happening between currency pairs. Case in point, nearly every crypto is down today vs fiat and therefore it looks like a very tough day for crypto traders....and it *is* if you measure value in fiat. On the other hand if you measure value in bitcoin you can make a killing.

For instance, I've been trading the LTC/BTC pairing extensively of late. It has been very volatile, and despite the fact that both are down vs gumbymint rubbish, butkorn is down significantly moar(8% vs 1.86%) as I write this. What this means is that the ratio between the two is slanted heavily in LTC's favor...so it's rising quickly vs BTC. Seems simple enough, yet the fact that most everyone is trained from birth to value everything in terms of fiat, inexperienced traders have difficulty grasping this notion and it leads to a lot of missed opportunities and/or losses. If you decide to get involved in this...do yourself a favor and think about cryptos the way long term PM stackers think about Au/Ag. Think in terms of BTC and not USDs.

Here's what LTC/BTC looks like atm: