• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Current market for 90%?

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I got a call last week from a retired guy who said he had been in investments, though he didn't say who he worked for.

He had some 90% silver, not a lot, and 2 Morgan dollars and Peace dollars he said was from his father in law.

I gave him $20 each for the Morgans and Peace dollars that were low end but no problem.

I gave him 15X face value on the 90%. I walked him to my bank branch, pulled out $400 and gave it to him which was a little more than the value that I had calculated in my head, no calculator was necessary.

A day later he said he had highly valuable Ikes and one 1972 Kennedy. He thought they were worth hundreds, I told him I never heard of those being worth a premium. He said he did online research. How does a former white collar investment guy come up with this nonsense? My guess is his wife was goading him on.

I listed the 90% silver, what is a good number for dimes and halves, such as Unc. Kennedys and Franklins?

#48Fan

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I believe most online dealers are asking 23.5x for junk, maybe more.

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
I got $50 face in halves for $18xFace. Most dealers in my area are at $19-$20.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Ike was a great general and president. His silver dollars were never considered special because of all the messed up politics going on.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
On this deal I figured the guy was being kibitzed by his wife as he said her father had had the silver coins. A day or so later after I bought the silver coins, he said he came across a $2 1/2 Indian gold coin. He like a previous guy had written out his "estimate" of what it could be worth, using high retail prices or ebay "listed" prices, not "sold" prices. Compare apples with apples folks. These "investment" "white collar" jokers were actually paid a lot of money for their critical thinking skills? Let them make money the hard way, in the real labor market serving actual customers in tangible ways!!!

I'm sick of these calls from jokers who think they have something rare or valuable! I have offered to help them to sell their stuff on ebay, it isn't that hard! Let them wait weeks or months for offers and then have to ship the item with all the other significant steps that went before. I am tempted to tell them to "get a life!" or find a shrink that can possibly help them with their serious delusions!!!

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
On this deal I figured the guy was being kibitzed by his wife as he said her father had had the silver coins. A day or so later after I bought the silver coins, he said he came across a $2 1/2 Indian gold coin. He like a previous guy had written out his "estimate" of what it could be worth, using high retail prices or ebay "listed" prices, not "sold" prices. Compare apples with apples folks. These "investment" "white collar" jokers were actually paid a lot of money for their critical thinking skills? Let them make money the hard way, in the real labor market serving actual customers in tangible ways!!!

I'm sick of these calls from jokers who think they have something rare or valuable! I have offered to help them to sell their stuff on ebay, it isn't that hard! Let them wait weeks or months for offers and then have to ship the item with all the other significant steps that went before. I am tempted to tell them to "get a life!" or find a shrink that can possibly help them with their serious delusions!!!
I buy as close to melt as possible. The history or potential rarity, if any, is a bonus! I got most of my 90% at 10x face and I'm certain I could glean out a few above average coins that might bring a bit higher of a premium. Where's it at today, upwards of 20x face?

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ike was a great general and president. His silver dollars were never considered special because of all the messed up politics going on.
There are in fact some of them that are valued much higher.

A couple examples:

An uncirculated '72 type 2 can be worth nearly $100

'74 D's and '77 D's that were accidently struck on 40% planchets can be worth a few thousand $

Maybe the guy has one that is rare?

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I buy as close to melt as possible. The history or potential rarity, if any, is a bonus! I got most of my 90% at 10x face and I'm certain I could glean out a few above average coins that might bring a bit higher of a premium. Where's it at today, upwards of 20x face?

1634087544214.png

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
There are in fact some of them that are valued much higher.

A couple examples:

An uncirculated '72 type 2 can be worth nearly $100

'74 D's and '77 D's that were accidently struck on 40% planchets can be worth a few thousand $

Maybe the guy has one that is rare?

I hhave heard of the 74D 40% silver Ike’s. Didn’t know about the 77D’s. I collect them. I have a 72 type 2 slabbed in MS64. It’s only valued around $150-$200. An MS65 is $1,000. Quite a bump for just one grade higher.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
You have to ask yourself on the better coins, how collectible are they? You have to have a big premium to justify paying more or getting coins certified. Ebay is one venue where you can list raw coins.

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
40% gets no respect, too bad.

Last edited:

wastrel

rather annoying
Reaction score
The entire concept of calling 90% "junk" is an insult. It must have come from Orwell's 42nd edition of the NewSpeak Dictionary.
That's why many have started calling it "constitutional silver" instead.

I just recently acquired something I've wanted for a while now: a $100 face value bag of 90% dimes. It's a very pleasant weight to hold. The bag is smaller than I thought, but I can reach inside and grab a bunch of dimes and let them dribble out between my fingers while I laugh manically like a Bond villain. Hey, we all need hobbies.

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's why many have started calling it "constitutional silver" instead.

I just recently acquired something I've wanted for a while now: a $100 face value bag of 90% dimes. It's a very pleasant weight to hold. The bag is smaller than I thought, but I can reach inside and grab a bunch of dimes and let them dribble out between my fingers while I laugh manically like a Bond villain. Hey, we all need hobbies.
Bond villains are too serious. I prefer Dr. Evil and company. :D

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
The entire concept of calling 90% "junk" is an insult. It must have come from Orwell's 42nd edition of the NewSpeak Dictionary.
I agree. I like calling it 90 silver. Constitutional Silver sound good too. I have been stacking a lot of halves and dimes as of late. Seems like the right thing to do.