• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Daughter interested in starting to collect coins

What coins should my daughter start collecting?

• Silver American Eagles

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Britannias

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • US 90%

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Art Rounds

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
She is 11, very curious and intelligent. So far she likes everything I've showed her. I'm trying to convince her to pick a niche and focus on one thing. She can't decide between U.S. silver circulation coins and art rounds. The rounds catch her interest (especially the proof coins) because they are pretty. But she also thinks it is cool to see 100 year old coins. So far she has said that she wants a Walking Liberty Half Dollar, a Buffalo Nickel, and a silver round with a dolphin.

I have been thinking that maybe she should look through a book (price guide?) to see the history of US coins. Anyone know of a good book to introduce kids to US coin collecting?

She has about $40 to start her collection. I told her that this would get her about $2.50 face value in US 90%.

I actually steered her toward buying silver coins because she told me that she wants to spend her money on something, but it always makes her feel guilty. With silver coins I told her should wouldn't have to feel guilty because she is actually investing and not spending. So this gives her a way to "buy" something with her allowance without actually losing her money. If she buys plastic junk from Walmart it is money wasted.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
No use limiting her growth. She should be researching it all until she settles on what makes HER happy when she jiggles her loose change!

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Let her get a few of the things she likes...then sit back, if she's anything like most 11 year olds her interests will change rapidly, if not get her something she can collect inexpensively and can find in her pocket change, like penny or nickle folders and she can progress from there if her interest remains intact. Good luck

Last edited:

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
from my experience kids like the enameled bars/rounds and those with cool packaging (boxes, etc)

proofs too (alongside the non-proofs)

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
90 % would be the cheapest way to get started and can be found at flea markets and LCS. Helps her to learn to distingush the grades as she progresses. IMO

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Let her get a few of the things she likes...then sit back, if she's anything like most 11 year olds her interests will change rapidly, if not get her something she can collect inexpensively and can find in her pocket change, like penny or nickle folders and she can progress from there if her interest remains intact. Good luck
Start a collection of STATE quarters would be good too.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Buy her a big 10 ounce Perth mint silver coin that has a koala, rabbit, pony or other cute animal on it. She’ll be hooked to silver, I can almost guarantee it.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Send her to the bank and get half dollars.
Thats a good idea. Sort through some half dollar rolls and she could end up with the $2.50 face in 90% and still end up with her $40 intact to buy other coins.
Edited to add: or get some new rolls of quarters and look through them for W mint marks. Those are worth about $20.
I went to the bank awhile back to get some, but all they had was one roll of half dollars, so I got those instead. Found a Franklin and one 40% Kennedy.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Thats a good idea. Sort through some half dollar rolls and she could end up with the $2.50 face in 90% and still end up with her $40 intact to buy other coins.
She's out 50 cents if she puts one away. Plus she gets a rush finding one. Just need to look at the edges.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
She's out 50 cents if she puts one away. Plus she gets a rush finding one. Just need to look at the edges.
True. I forgot to subtract the .50 cents. Lol

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Instead of giving her allowance in cash, give her part of it in silver coins. Also give her silver coins for birthdays, Christmas, and special occasions. I did that with my daughter and she still has all of it - and a pretty good collection of gold and silver jewelry I gave her as presents, most of it I bought at thrift stores for cheap, but nice stuff.

Son has some rolls of SAE's and several fractional gold coins I gave him over the years, but he's not that impressed with PM's. He's a high income earner and likes tax friendly investments.

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Other.

I don't have a great answer here. But, I'd try to get her interested in cheap coins for the moment even if they are clad or pennys (oh, shiny). She only has $40 to start. She could wipe that out with 2 SAE's (plus shipping). The more "coins" she has in her collection I would think would help keep her interested longer. Later, you can work her into the better stuff when she grows up. Toss in a silver dime & a clad dime/quarter/half and use it as a teaching tool.

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
I agree with Mujahideen in form not size, and Silver for yearly, seasonal, holiday applications.
I would add partial replacement of candy, Halloween, Easter with silver, and truly present as gift.
Primarily listen to her sincere interest and I would suspect flora and fauna over dead dudes and flags.
I collect flora and fauna, but stack and flip the rest and flora and fauna.

2019 Australia Bottlenose Dolphin coins are big dolphins and I have one left over from sales.
These were stricken by milk spots and this one has streaks above water line from dorsal to tail in the sky, not on the dolphin. Sell to you at cost $20.19 plus shipping. No idea what they are going for now.
I was going to keep a cherry one but it developed spots on dolphins butt.
Have fun gaining a fellow collector, trader, buyer, and STACKER !

Teach her to hunt the Coinstar machines. Money to buy 90%ers and find 90%ers. I have found three so far this year and probably $20+ bucks in US and Canadian change. Last scoop was (1) '64 dime, .65c Canadian, .78c US, 5.71 Euros, .25 Swiss francs, '72 El Salvador 10 centavos, and '85 Costa Rica 20 Colones. Plus a flat battery and guitar pick.. and I play !
This is one scoop out of the rejection bin. I can not wait for a bin full of 1800's US $5 gold coins... steak for dinner !

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
90 % would be the cheapest way to get started and can be found at flea markets and LCS. Helps her to learn to distingush the grades as she progresses. IMO
Only 'problem would be her spending them as 'regular' fiat coin.

It will teach her to examine every 'silvery' looking coin however!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'd say get a few Whian books. It adds to the fun and more addictive trying to fill those empty holes.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
I am presuming you have bags and rolls of silver junk. Have her go through that from a date/grade perspective to form a collection. Have her pay you spot and put that money into a college/car/home fund.
There is $3.28 in a silver quarter. pcgs.com has the valuation for the cheap stuff at $4, moving to $5 in better condition and $7 in MS60. It's not necessarily what the market bears but she might find some rare stuff...
1936-D in EF is $90. I presume you could get it for $60 on ebay.

I'd love to not be lazy and go through my original Franklin bank rolls looking for MS65's-67's where the market has some at $200-$400. That's now my for retirement enjoyment when the fish aren't biting.

Here's my story as a caveat: I started collecting pennies (okay, cents) when I was 9 in 1959. I had a nice collection, including a 1924-D I had found in searching rolls I had gotten rolls from the local bank, usually about $2 to $3 worth at a time, because that was all I could afford. When I married in 1969, at the age of 19, my wife and I added to the penny collection. At the same time, I had gathered a little bunch of junk silver.

Not that many years ago, as I had more jing, I bought a 09-s VDB, completing my penny set. I decided to get a nice Lincoln Cent folder to display my/our full set. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! Many of my pennies had spots of corrosion, such as the 32-D in XF, etc. (there are those here who will relate to this). It took about 2 minutes to decide pennies are a bust (there are too many details here to state).

I decided then and there to sell the Lincolns; and by that time in my life (only about 10 years ago) I concluded to ONLY collect coins that were comprised of Au or Ag. It was the best decision of my collecting life. And when I put my S VDB on Ebay, shipping it to the lucky bidder (the guy really did get a good buy!), I soon heard he had brought it to his local dealer who called it a fake. I refunded his $$ and got the coin back. For the record, it was 100% authentic. By the time I was done selling the Lincolns, I was licking my wounds--and, note, I have been a semi-pro coin dealer since I was 20 years old. I KNOW how to buy and sell, and I still took a beating!!!

There is much to add, but I need to get to the point: instruct any new coin enthusiasts to accumulate coins that have real lasting value with Ag or Au content if they are spending real $$ to obtain items for their collection. Yes, it's nice to buy some "fancy" medals or coins, but don't be spending much, as those "collectibles" from the US MINT and other places, are over-priced and not worth the costs. PERIOD!!

I've branched out into a nice Morgan set, some Barber halves, etc., but they all have actual Ag content. When I see a bargain on a "collector set" that has 4 kinds of cents, a buffalo nickel, V-nickle and a Jefferson (you know the type), I buy them on the cheap, only to sell them to the next dummy at a profit--a profit I use to purchase the "good stuff."

I've rambled on here a bit--you either have an understanding by now and will instruct the youngin's wisely, or march them down the path to buying the crap such as mint sets, collector sets, medallions, etc. My motto now is--Keep Stackin' the GOOD Stuff.

One final note--and this may be the best advice--teach kids how to GRADE COINS. Good graders finish near the TOP. And explain how a cull coin in, say XF otherwise, isn't as valuable as a nice looking coin in VG. I see too many sales where people fall into the trap of spending their hard-earned $$ on coins with dings, scratches, poor color, etc. Learn how to grade, and reap the rewards.

- Farp

Last edited:

JayDubya

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I don't know whether or not it's cool to refer someone to another forum - if it isn't, mods feel free to delete this post.
<SLV> I think you should log in over at Collectors Universe and ask the folks over there. Most the guys and gals will be happy to provide some tips and point you in some good directions.

US Coins Forum
https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

Home:
https://forums.collectors.com/
Also cointalk.com has highly regarded folks there to help give more than you could ever ask for.

I just think it's cool that a young girl is interested in coins. Hell when my little girl was 11 all she was interested in was boys. I do like the suggestion of taking her to a coin shop. She can see and learn a lot. Dad can buy her a bullion coin on special occasions.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I agree with silver coins of some sort. Get one of those price guide books with pics and she can look at them and have an idea of pricing too to decide which route to go. Could start easy, like Washington quarters which would mostly be silver and go back from there—older quarters and dimes and if still interested then do half’s and dollars.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Dear fellow friend, I just mentioned to my 14 year old grandson to collect PRE-1964 U.S. DIMES. The rewards are great probably.

Just LISTEN:
https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/podcast/9671/tfmr-podcast-monday-september-16

Old GRANDPA HS...

BTW: J.P. Morgan is going down... from the head of their PRECIOUS METALS UPWARD... Trumpy is MAD!!!

GET HER A DIME BOARD like the old BLUE ones we used to have as KIDS!

Last edited:

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
She seems to be most interested in proof rounds. Lots of pretty designs. I think I'll take her to a couple coin shops.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
She seems to be most interested in proof rounds. Lots of pretty designs. I think I'll take her to a couple coin shops.
May I suggest proof set from the seventies and eighties? They are ridiculously cheap - a set can usually be had for four to six bucks. Although the coins are not silver, they are standard US designs done in beautiful proof format. From here she could branch out into silver coinage, or earlier coinage with different designs. One of the very basic qualities that usually excites a young or budding numismatist is the beauty of the coins they seek to collect. If she likes proof stuff this may be a good way to fan the flames without burning a hole in the wallet.

AguA

Seeker
Seeker
Excellent choice! A kid likes what he/she likes. It's silver, for crying out loud! Kids love to be intrigued! So let them have fun as they learn. It's what keeps their interest in the lessons you teach them over time.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
So last night she made up her mind, and today I helped her place her first order. She chose the "World of Dragons" series from Provident Metals: https://www.providentmetals.com/world-of-dragons.html. It is a 6 coin series. 4 have been release. She bought the Chinese and Norse dragon coins to start out. I think she enjoys the idea of collecting series rounds because it gives her direction and something to look forward to. I think she might do the Chinese "Year of the..." rounds next.

1568835304378.png
1568835347722.png

1568835387467.png

She LOVES the Scottsdale lion -- but it is only available as a 2oz or 5oz. Maybe this would be a good Christmas gift:

1568835201876.png

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So last night she made up her mind, and today I helped her place her first order. She chose the "World of Dragons" series from Provident Metals: https://www.providentmetals.com/world-of-dragons.html. It is a 6 coin series. 4 have been release. She bought the Chinese and Norse dragon coins to start out. I think she enjoys the idea of collecting series rounds because it gives her direction and something to look forward to. I think she might do the Chinese "Year of the..." rounds next.

View attachment 141288 View attachment 141289

View attachment 141290

She LOVES the Scottsdale lion -- but it is only available as a 2oz or 5oz. Maybe this would be a good Christmas gift:

View attachment 141287
You can never go wrong with dragons! One of the few themes I collect in ag form.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I'm glad she decided on a low premium .999 bullion round. It is a good way for her to "spend" her money yet still have it.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
So many races and nations consider Dragon Symbols as good luck.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I hope I'm not being a spoil sport, but I would try to get her interested in whatever silver coins she can buy close to spot. She is only going to get smarter and bullion is likely what she will focus on later. If (when) the POS goes up and her collection along with it, she will have an excellent education about sound money that will stay with her the rest of her life.
I was into collecting coins for a year or two when I was about her age. My interest in it died the day I tried to sell some of my coins to a dealer.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Being that she likes dragons, this 10oz puck would drop her jaw:

1568907891852.png

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Smart gal. Chip off the old block.

Find her some old 90% silver 50 cent piece like the Walking Half from the 1940s for fun...
Fine or XF if possible...