• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Deer Hunters

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I would like to start the Annual Deer hunting thread .....for posting game cam pix....bow and gun hunting stories and Results pictures any thing deer hunting related in good taste .....GOOD LUCK all...:cheerful::cheerful:

Starting with a game cam pic (camera was mounted to one of my deer stand ladders)

Attachments

latemetal

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I much prefer KFC to venison, but do carry on, I also enjoy a good "Peking Duck".:eating:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Uh-Oh... That Time’s Coming Again

©Walt C. Snedeker

Just when things begin to look normal around here, I have to go and notice that since Summer Is Definitely Here, then it is obvious that Fall Must Be Just Around The Corner. And we all know what that means. Well, some of us know what that means. For those of you who are somehow out of the loop, it means that deer huntin’ season is almost nigh.

It follows, then, that preparations must be made. And soon. Why, it’s only four or five months before opening day! The Fabled PC is tolerant of this sort of behavior. She no longer tells the boys that “Daddy is going out to murder Bambi”. The boys are both grown up and gone, now. Strangely, neither one of them has ever had the slightest desire to go deer hunting.

Being able to respond to unusual situations is necessary if one is to qualify as a competent hunter. Back when the boys were little, I took them out quail hunting.

When a flock (insiders call it a covey) of them suddenly took off right in front of us with a roar, I nervously jerked the trigger. Unfortunately, all I hit was a frog. My boys had to be reassured. I spoke in a calm, manly way:

“Well, at least I knocked his feathers off.”

Folks that know the Fabled PC and Himself say that as couple, we remind them of psychotherapy. She’s “therapy”.

She sighs a lot when I begin my preparations, but deep down she knows that I have to get out and do my Nature thing.

This year, the plan is to use a new strategy. Instead of trying to sneak carefully through the woods (and every year getting terrified and lost), the services of a guide will be retained.

This expensive decision was arrived at mutually between my dainty bride and Your Humble Obedient. It’s not that I am not a good tracker -- oh, no. Last year I followed these tracks into a cave -- and shot a train.

But the Fabled PC has insisted that I get a little more organized. I suppose that it comes from the fact that for forty years, I’ve gone different places without anything to show for it except the usual pats on the shoulders and head from the Forestry Service folks when they have found me and delivered me safely back home.

But this year is different. Not only am I going to be hunting deer, but I am also getting set up to bring home a bear. The advertisements for the hunting lodge have woven a spell which is irresistible. I’ve reread them a hundred times already, trying to glean hidden extra tidbits from the phrases.

“Best Hunting In North America!” “We’ll Take You To Your Very Own Deer Stand!” That means that if I don’t climb down, I can’t get lost. Much.

Wow. I wonder if they’ll get a few hundred South Carolina natives in a long line to drive the deer past me...

Now I realize, Gentle Reader, that you may not be one of those people that secretly feel as if they were born a couple of centuries late. You may even have a bumper sticker that reads: “Support The Right To Arm Bears!”

But all I have to do is look at that stuffed bear in our living room that reminds me of my uncle. When folks ask me what it’s stuffed with, I confess: “my uncle”.

I would much prefer to finally come home with a deer. For the last 35 years of wedded bliss, each deer season I have dreamed of being able to drag this monstrous deer into the kitchen -- horns, hooves, and all. I’d plop it on the kitchen table before my astonished redhead, and wander into the shower, saying casually over my shoulder: “Medium rare.”

Hasn’t happened yet. (*sigh*) But now it looks like I can sit in my Very Own Deer Stand and do more than just collect dust. I will have a good chance of coming home with a genuine buck.

Speaking of bucks, all I have to do now to get up enough money to be allowed to sit in My Very Own etc. is collect about six and a half tons of aluminum cans from the roadsides of Broward County between now and October. That looks to be a tad difficult.

Another way to raise the dough might be to advertise as a handyman-for-hire. For some reason, my darling redhead is adamant that I shouldn’t even consider doing this. I just don’t see why she is so worried about our liability insurance limits...

Ah! An inspiration! Just yesterday, as I was stopped on the Commercial Boulevard off-ramp from Route 95, a raggedy guy came up to my car window and asked me for $2 for a sandwich.

“I dunno,” I answered, “lemme see the sandwich.”

Out of curiosity, I asked him what his take was on an average day. His answer was, “Oh, about twenty to thirty bucks. An hour.”

Jiminy.

I’m moving in on his territory for the next couple of months. So if you see a somewhat out of shape haggard-looking guy standing there with a “Will Hunt For Food” sign, toss him a few bucks, OK?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
HUNT ???

NOSEY DEER & BRANDING IRON 001.jpg

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Had a few pieces of venison jerky at the gun show this weekend,

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My freezer is out of Ground Venison ....i need to restock i much prefer it to beef.....and the Deer herd needs thinning out they can be quite destructive (like a goat) if the populations get to high...for me hunting is multipurpose....sport...food...damage control...pleasure...

Late May and June here it is quite fun to watch for the fawns .....and you really have to watch close for them when cutting hay that time of year they will not move at all and you have to get out and move them by hand...

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Birddog.....down here the suburb rural deer population is out of control the city/state are starting to do managed archery hunts in town..........the deer are eating up landscaping ....killing dogs..being aggressive towards people ...etc.

no real predators in the suburbs to help control the population

birddog

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Birddog.....down here the suburb rural deer population is out of control the city/state are starting to do managed archery hunts in town..........the deer are eating up landscaping ....killing dogs..being aggressive towards people ...etc.

no real predators in the suburbs to help control the population
There have been some bow hunting allowed in some of the county parks and in the outer burbs. Although we see them all year, it seems that their numbers increase in fall. There should be plenty of deer this year to harvest.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
The Magnificent Triple Cross

© Walt C. Snedeker

As the Fabled PC bid Your Humble Obedient &tc. a teary goodbye, wishing me well in my quest for nailing the Great Stag Of The Forest (for deer season was finally upon us!), a wonderfully complex plan was coming into fruition.

It takes a devious mind to concoct a fairly effective practical joke. And it takes a double-devious mind to concoct a twin-leveled practical joke.

Pish, pshaw.

I hereby lay valid claim to world-class ranking in this area… for Your Humble Obedient &tc. can now relate the successful conclusion of a unique triple-leveled practical joke.

This is what happened: My evil-visaged companion Charlie had invited a third person to join us in his luxurious new motor home for our deer hunting trip. Art is a cheerful, bonhomie sort of guy whose major fault seems to be that he puts way too many ribbon markers on the trees so that he doesn’t get lost in the woods of Outer Georgia.

He has one other fault as well. He tends to trust people with open, honest, friendly “fool’s faces” (i.e., myself). Art is a member of our Hunt Club, and he would go up to the middle of Georgia each year to the Greenville area near Alabama, there to check into a lonely, miserable motel so he could go hunting each day.

The drawback to this, Gentle Reader, was that for Art, there was no campfire camaraderie, no companionship. If one rises in the early morning starry darkness, wanders out to some creepy place deep in the Georgia woods to sit there for three and a half cold hours, then wander out of said woods to come back to a lonely motel room… Well, you can readily see that it does not seem to maximize the pleasure of the vacation time consumed.

So when Charlie’s beak hove into view to offer a berth in his sybaritic land yacht, Art accepted with alacrity. Here was all he needed. For Charlie owns a Runnamucka of gargantuan proportions and Edwardian appointments. Art was given his own double bed, chest of drawers, and closet with full-length mirror. He would have the incredibly rare opportunity of listening to Your Humble Obedient &tc. expound on all subjects with Papal humility. I heard him tell Charlie that he was willing to “put up with it” for the other benefits.

All was perfect until the first night. While Charlie slept in the master suite at the other end of the Runnamucka, Art and Your Humble Obedient &tc. bedded down in proximate vicinity up front.

Art snores. Like a calliope having a fit. Like Krakatoa.

I spent that first night plotting. I knew we were too far from the coast for me to have him Shanghied onto a tramp freighter by a gang of smugglers, so I hit on the next best thing.

I pulled Charlie aside early the next morning to ask if there were any canned black beans in the voluminous larder. To my unbounded joy, he affirmed that such were available.

So I gave Charlie Phase One of my diabolical plan.

“Charlie, I’m gonna put some black beans in a plastic baggie, and walk ahead of you and Art tomorrow. I will dump them out on the ground, and “discover” them. I’ll tell Art that you can tell the size and age of a deer by eating some of their droppings, and demonstrate by taking a handful and chewing them up. Then I’ll push some on Art to get him to try them.”

Charlie snorked with pleasure.

“I can just see you running after him with a handful of beans, and him backing away, thinking you are nuts. It’s a great joke. I’ll back you up.”

So I then snuck off and gave Art Phase Two of my diabolical plan.

“Art, Charlie thinks I’m gonna play a practical joke on you.” And I explained the plan. We agreed that Art would turn the tables by becoming convinced by my blandishments, and to Charlie’s amazement, Art would take a handful of the erstwhile “droppings”, and eat them.

Art snorked with pleasure.

The following morning after hunting time, while heading back to the motor home, I got ahead of the other two, and dumped out the can of black beans onto the leafy forest floor.

“Hey, guys, lookit here!” I called their attention to the pile. I motioned to Art. “Art, you can tell all about a deer by the taste of the droppings… Watch.” I scooped up a dozen beans and chewed them up thoughtfully.

“Hmmm. This is about a six-to-eight pointer, about four years old.” Charlie and Art were giving each other slantendicular checkouts.

It was time to strike.

“You’re gonna have to learn this sooner or later, Art, so take a few and try them so’s you’ll know the taste of an eight pointer.

With rather transparent acting, Art feigned surprise and hesitation, but with a little cajoling, a few minutes later grabbed a handful of the beans, chewed them up and swallowed.

He stood there with a triumphant grin, ready to enjoy the look of astonishment on Charlie’s face.

Well, the astonishment was there on Charlie’s face, all right. His jaw was down around his navel, and he had a look of utter disbelief.

Art was delighted. For three more seconds.

Then, Phase Three of Your Humble Obedient &tc.’s maniacal plan clicked into motion as Charlie reached into his pants pocket, and took out his wallet.

With masterful air of amazement, Charlie took a $50 bill from his wallet and handed it to me, saying:

“Incredible, Walt! Incredible! That is the fourth Club member in a row that you got to eat a mixture of black beans and deer droppings!”

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
IM thinking you need some meat in the freezer........that is quite a herd someone is feeding there(feed them and they will come)....they are cute buggers though...

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
Do you eat the livers of the deer?
Do the dogs eat the livers?
How about lungs?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
How about lungs?
For the world's best pate... Goes wonderfully with Ritz crackers:

Cut up the deer liver into 1" chunks. Boil them until cooked (only takes about five minutes)

Drop the cooked pieces in a blender along with a cut-up onion. Blend. Add a tad of water to get the right consistency.

For delicious crunch, add a few more cut up pieces of onion after blending.

Cool in refrigerator. Absolutely delicious. (I'm drooling as I type this...) :s13:

While I am at it: Don't waste the heart of the deer. Slice it into 1/4" thick slices. Dip in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Fry. Double yummy.

Lungs? Bury them.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
we usually eat only muscle meat ......depending on the deer age etc and how it died and the aging process.......we do any combination of the following.......grind,roasts, sausage/jerky,......tenderloins/backstraps will eat as steaks/cubes/etc

may hafta try Walts heart and liver recipies.......but usually if gun shot those areas are pretty messed up and are lost in the field dressing

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
how a deer dies and carcass aging etc make a lot of difference in deer meat taste and tenderness...

#1 deer carcasses need to be dry aged if possible 7days +/- between 32deg and 40deg
#2 deer being ground up dont need the aging process
#3 all the silver skin covering the muscles needs to be trimmed to get rid of the gamey taste
#4 a deer that died instantly from gun shot will have less hormones etc in blood stream and thus taste better vs a deer that was shot with a arrow and took a bit longer to die and is full of adrenaline
#5 deer carcasses need to be cooled down and dry .....dont cut one up and toss it in a cooler full of ice water...bag it first....etc.

these are my deer meat prep rules.....i am interested in hearing other peoples thoughts and experiences

our ground up venision we cant tell the difference in the taste from ground beef
the steak type cuts have no gamey taste but require careful cooking due to lack of fat content
sausage and jerky are spectacular much better than beef/pork varietys

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Tenderloin with mushrooms in butter and red wine sauce were my favorite. I also liked the bone marrow. Call me caveman.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
how a deer dies and carcass aging etc make a lot of difference in deer meat taste and tenderness...

#1 deer carcasses need to be dry aged if possible 7days +/- between 32deg and 40deg
#2 deer being ground up dont need the aging process
#3 all the silver skin covering the muscles needs to be trimmed to get rid of the gamey taste
#4 a deer that died instantly from gun shot will have less hormones etc in blood stream and thus taste better vs a deer that was shot with a arrow and took a bit longer to die and is full of adrenaline
#5 deer carcasses need to be cooled down and dry .....dont cut one up and toss it in a cooler full of ice water...bag it first....etc.

these are my deer meat prep rules.....i am interested in hearing other peoples thoughts and experiences

our ground up venision we cant tell the difference in the taste from ground beef
the steak type cuts have no gamey taste but require careful cooking due to lack of fat content
sausage and jerky are spectacular much better than beef/pork varietys
ttazz: You don't want to miss out on this one...

Cut a backstrap into VERY thin slices <-- thin as possibobble. Dip them in egg and Italian breadcrumbs. Fry for a coupla seconds.

When I make these up, I cannot get ahead of the guys waiting for the pieces to come outa the oil onto the plate. :s9:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Easy Cheap Method of DIY European mounting deer antlers......in our area Euro Mounts cost ~$130.....here is a DIY method i discovered a few years ago that Saves all the Mess and fuss for DIYers......Place Deer head 100% intact in a shallow hole in ground with antlers sticking out of the fround....pack dirt around head......cover antlers with a plastic tub ....weight the tub down......depending on part of country and soil moisture etc.....~6 months later uncover ...hose the dirt off (everything else will be gone or will fall off) .....let dry (skull will lighten up when it drys).....ready to mount...i just got around to pulling mine from last year up (9 months)

Beats the heck out of the boil, scrape, powerwash, etc method

Attachments

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I ate two Whitetails last year. No doe tag so will only be one buck in the freezer this year. I could go Elk hunting but a deer and a Bull Elk would be too much meat so I'll probably skip it.
I've become more of a meat hunter in recent years and was ready to shoot the first legal Whitetail this year, then this guy walked near my treestand on Wednesday. Nothing spectacular but 10 points nonetheless:

Attachments

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
very intresting the chocolate color of the antlers......around here they are much whiter (bone color)

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
very intresting the chocolate color of the antlers......around here they are much whiter (bone color)
Usually depends on what they rubbed on. The sun also bleach's them.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The sun also bleach's them.
That's what I was thinking. When I nail one up on my barn it sure turns white fast. My guess is this buck just stayed in the shadows more than most.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
That's what I was thinking. When I nail one up on my barn it sure turns white fast. My guess is this buck just stayed in the shadows more than most.
I/we have picked hundreds of horns[largest lot I ever sold was 287lbs] and dark horns fetch a better price. Horns found in the shade are usually darker as they ain't bleached. Then again I've seen deer with white horns on their head so I'm guessing it's because they are more of the sunbather type. Deer taken up North of me in the Forest almost always have darker horns and I believe it's because of the shade and pine pitch.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Easy Cheap Method of DIY European mounting deer antlers
You make it sound so easy. I do like the idea of European mounts rather than expesive taxidermy. Keeping bears and wolves and my dog off that skull for a period of time in the summer when dermestid beetle worms are active is quite an undertaking. Maybe a steel wastub with a 2000 pound cinderblock wall on top would do the trick. Bears can dislodge pretty large boulders with just a flick of the wrist. Some people put them up in trees to keep vermin off, but you have to remember that squirrels think antlers are delicious "mineral blocks" to devour.
One time I left an insignificant deer skull outdoors and the skull got chewed up by some animal trying to extract the last yummy morsel of snot out of it's nose.
Reminds me of when I brought a huge bullshark jaw home from work (offshore) and put it on an anthill. I came back a few days later and couldn't find it. Then I looked closer and found a pile of teeth, the rest was eaten.

A real trophy deer/elk skull/antlers, if I ever get one will be sent to a pro who has an indoor dermestid operation. The rest will get sawn like in the photo.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Tenderloin with mushrooms in butter and red wine sauce were my favorite. I also liked the bone marrow. Call me caveman.
I'd call you smart.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
How about lungs?
My dogs eat every part of the deer except the back-strap, skull and hide. I get the back-strap.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
You make it sound so easy. I do like the idea of European mounts rather than expesive taxidermy. Keeping bears and wolves and my dog off that skull for a period of time in the summer when dermestid beetle worms are active is quite an undertaking. Maybe a steel wastub with a 2000 pound cinderblock wall on top would do the trick. Bears can dislodge pretty large boulders with just a flick of the wrist. Some people put them up in trees to keep vermin off, but you have to remember that squirrels think antlers are delicious "mineral blocks" to devour.
One time I left an insignificant deer skull outdoors and the skull got chewed up by some animal trying to extract the last yummy morsel of snot out of it's nose.
Reminds me of when I brought a huge bullshark jaw home from work (offshore) and put it on an anthill. I came back a few days later and couldn't find it. Then I looked closer and found a pile of teeth, the rest was eaten.

A real trophy deer/elk skull/antlers, if I ever get one will be sent to a pro who has an indoor dermestid operation. The rest will get sawn like in the photo.
It has been extremely easy......been doing this for 3 years now with no issues.....i had a year with several "scrub" bucks i tried methods on ...tried hanging in a tree first with no luck ....was going to try submerging them in a pool in the creek for several months but this worked so well never got around to it...

we have coyotes, dogs, squirrels, coons, possums, bobcats, etc......we do not have any serious bears or wolves....i have not had any issues so far with critters trying to dig them up and i bury them in a field edge far from the house...i do cover the edge of the tub with dirt and the heads usually are a couple of days frozen when i bury them ....

I certainly agree REAL trophys would be worth personal/professional care

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
We don't get Monster Bucks around here in NorCal. This is a really nice sized one though, for this area. he's been hanging around my place the last few days, chasing all the girls around!

Attachments

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
those look pretty damn good to me......each area of the country has different standards.......monsters are not as prevalent as the TV shows would want you to think..

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
You eat only the back-strap?
I don't hunt, when I want a deer the back yard is full (during season of course). I have lots of friends that do hunt and my farm is one of the places they hunt, they bring me meat. I think my numbers are correct for my part of the state, if you hunt all the seasons, Black powder, Rifle, Bow and Juvenile you can rack up a dozen deer. That's a lot of deer meat floating around so yes I mostly just eat back-strap. Here's a favorite recipe:

Slice thin across the grain, layer it in a casserole dish with sliced, peeled apples. Layer of deer layer of apples till full. Pour a couple of cups of cider, salt pepper to taste. Bake for about an hour. Mmmm Mmmm Goood!.