• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Deer hunting harvest 2017

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Been a while since this thread popped up. Still been out hunting just haven’t posted pics. That’s changing today!

Yesterday morning was on stand about 645am. Hunting partner was NE of me and had a much longer walk so I beat him to the stand. I knew there was a good chance he might numb some deer coming in and sure enough a little basket rack came from his direction just minutes after I got situated. Even at 650 am it is pretty easy to see black bodies in the middle of a picked bean field in very low light. Anyhow the little guy ran into the woods just south east of me. That’s when it got REAL....crash....boom...snort...wheeze...more crashing.....it was the proverbial bull in a china shop. My guess at that point was he stumbled onto a hot doe and was running her ragged. This went on for about 5 minutes before I came to the conclusion that she would not stay in the woods with him much longer and it was a 50/50 proposition if they came my way or went to the NE...better grab my bow!!!

The crashing got closer. 50/50 turned into 75/25.....one minute later the odds became 100%. She came out of logging trail and cut the corner right to me with a buck in tail seconds behind. Still bad light at 710 but good enough to see a decent rack at 50 yards....but it sure didn’t look that good minutes earlier, but it was so dark then it hard to judge.....doe never stopped.....wanted as much distance between her and him as possible....this forced the buck to stop broadside at 25 yards at edge of woods to find her....just long enough for me to draw, place pin and release....thud....he went down...up and ran off...then the little buck came in right behind him...breathe....listen....no crash yet....nothing...just rustling leaves as I hear what I assume is the little buck and doe running off. I text my hunting buddy and tell him I had shot and was getting down shortly to find blood and arrow, but to be ready as the tensing deer were likely headed his way. He is a first year hunter and just itching to get a deer. I get out of tree and head to the spot the deer was standing. Didn’t take long...blood...couldn’t find the arrow but lots of blood. I contact dad to come help with the recovery (I am six days post op, walking in and out and climbing tree is one thing, but dragging a 170 lbs deer through the woods is something Dr probably frown on..lol). My buddy called. He said the 2 deer plus a like 4 point came with in 50 yards of him but got ran off by dogs...no bigger deer with them so my hopes of a clean kill rose. I told him to come to me since the dogs messed things up and he could do the lead tracking. So we all meet up and begin following the blood trail (which was more of a highway that a 3 yr old coukd follow. Immediately was on a clean logging trail. 60 yards later we found him piled up. The I start teaching my 18 yr old partner how to go about field dressing. We get that done and load him up for home. Once we get him strung up in garage and checked in online.....my buddy is still excited.....he ain’t gonna be denied... he wants to go right back out and sit till dark....I shake my head and chuckle but who am I to dampen his enthusiasm. So he gets some water, a couple sandwhiches and candy. Loads up a back pack and heads back to the woods at 11am. I am in town at the bank when he texted me at 1145 that he just harvested his first deer with a bow none the less. It was a button buck. Nice job kid.

Been hunting 30 years and have only doubled up on deer with a member of hunting party 1 time. So it was a good day to say the least.

My buck dressed 170 lbs and green scored 134 inches with minimal deductions. He should qualify for Pope and Young record book. Nothing nicer then a 130”plus 8point. Those are big deer....considering the lack of scorable points. Harvested with Hoyt PowerHawk and Beeman Arrows topped with G5 t3 broadheads. Outfitted with Cabela’s brand dry plus fleece bibs and jacket and 2000 gram insulted rubber boots.

My buddy’s B.B. was 65 lbs. He shoots a diamond infinite edge. He was outfitted with my older cabelas fleece gear.

Next week end is firearm season. Goal is to guide my 18 yr okd daughter to her first dear.
95B89B6B-C9DB-4978-BB25-96F219AA0672.jpeg
B9E02E55-5421-48A3-B347-C6B4BD9332E4.jpeg

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Nice bucks. Rifle season is open here already. I've seen quite a few Elk, had a herd of about 25 last week, just cows and spike bulls on my property, neither of which is legal to shoot. Lots of Whitetail does. Whitetail rut here starts right about now, so should be seeing some bucks.
I haven't been putting much effort into hunting this year, still have a lot of Elk in my freezer from last year.

Little bull from Nov 2016 which provided about 150 pounds of meat:
004.JPG

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
just stumbled on this thread......great deer Rusty.......we had a TON of deer this year i was litterally seeing 40+ a nite during bow season hunting over one of my food plots ....but no old gizzled veterans ....did some picture and video taking of some go to be bigger in a year or two... our final season just ended jan 15 our freezer is still stocked so we let em walk this year
d1 (Large).jpg
d2 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
this time of year i do "varmit control" aka armadillo and coyote control......came upon a rare sceen in the woods.....a great horned owl and just killed a big hawk and i flushed the owl up with its prey and was able to get a picture of the owl and carcass in a tree sure wish the cell phone camera did a better job
owlhawk rev (Large).jpg

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Tazz,
Very cool.
Always think of owls chasing mice.
Wrong again.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Nice pics! Nice deer. I shot a nice fat fork horn to eat and shot a yearling for one of my hunting partners. Rusty nice to see you mentoring the young guy and congratulate him on his first deer. Too much emphasis today on the antler size. Couple of guys I hunt with are all about the horns and they were trying to give me a hard time about my Forky, but I passed up 20 deer 6 points or bigger, a couple of nice 8's and a 10 point. I told them if you don't let the 8's and 10's walk once in a while you won't see too many 12's or bigger.

BP

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
No such thing as a fat fork where I am from. They will weigh 125 lbs(dressed) at most....rather shoot a doe at that point...but even then I would pass (at my place)......Tazz sees 40 deer a night.....I saw 20 deer all of bow season and gun season....farmers have decimated our hunting ground. Bulldozed every fence row...Any woods/thicket under 5 acres is gone....there is no cover or habitat left to support the numbers we saw when I was younger. ECI is an agricultural desert of flat corn and bean fields.

Edit the woods in the back ground of the pic pic with me and hunting partner is scheduled for removal this summer. Out of state farmer bought the 10 acre home stead and is removing it for crops

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
No such thing as a fat fork where I am from. They will weigh 125 lbs(dressed) at most....rather shoot a doe at that point...but even then I would pass (at my place)......Tazz sees 40 deer a night.....I saw 20 deer all of bow season and gun season....farmers have decimated our hunting ground. Bulldozed every fence row...Any woods/thicket under 5 acres is gone....there is no cover or habitat left to support the numbers we saw when I was younger. ECI is an agricultural desert of flat corn and bean fields.

Edit the woods in the back ground of the pic pic with me and hunting partner is scheduled for removal this summer. Out of state farmer bought the 10 acre home stead and is removing it for crops
the property i live on i bought specifically for its wildlife habitat potential....and we plant specifically for the wildlife every year.....it is amazing over time how the wildlife population has grown and flourished...along with this increase in the wildlife population while i dont begrudge others hunting this property is now ringed by neighbors with deer stands every few hundred yards around me on the fence lines ....and while we will let deer with potential walk rarely do neighbors......another family property in similar situation we had let one walk for several years hoping for a potential bow Boone n crocket this year a fenceline neighbor checked in a 197+ during gun season ....disappointing but we are doing our part ...its a year round thing for us

vichris

Seeker
Seeker
Nice thread,.....enjoy the pics. Personally I'm an elk hunting MOFO. I'm from a state (NM) that has a wide variety of free range big game to hunt. Unfortunately it's tough to get drawn to hunt here.

Here's a few of my trophy's...........

P1010865-1.JPG

P1040252-001.JPG

P1010829-2.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

P1030703-1.JPG

P1040240-001.JPG

100_1900_edited.JPG

Last edited: