• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Diatomaceous earth

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
In case anybody ever what diatomaceous earth was it is made up of dead diatoms which are composed mostly of calcium. This calcium is the same element that is used by mollusks to make "sea shells". It is also he same element that makes up the bulk of human bones, in fact ALL mammalian bones, fishbones, teeth, fingernails... you get the picture.

Because of the microscopic size of diatoms and their wide variation in shape and structure the following is just a single sample image of what they look like:

Licmophora_diatom.jpg

You can see that the material is VERY thin since you can see through it. The quantity in the photo is not nough to cover the head of a pin. The structure of this type of diatom is quite rectangular mixed with tapered edge rectangles. When tey die and dry out the geometric figures become quite hard and sharp. This quality makes diatomaceous earth quite deadly to bacteria, insects and other micro lifeforms. Yet because of it's microscopic it poses no threat to larger lifeforms like squirrels, birds, humans or giraffes. In fact it is found to be quite beneficial to the larger fauna on earth, particularly in the digestive track and in providing calcium for healthy bones.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ain't nature amazing?

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I've been taking a heaping teaspoonful in a glass of water daily for about 6 months as a dietary supplement.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I've been taking a heaping teaspoonful in a glass of water daily for about 6 months as a dietary supplement.
Does it (DT) have any flavor? Or does it have texture like metamucil in a glass of water?
Read a lot about it but have never seen or tried the stuff.

BF

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have this gizmo that sort of looks like a leaf blower but it has a hand-crank on the side of where you would expect the motor to be and a hopper on top to scoop in the DE. On the end of the blower tube is a short piece of a tube cut in half length-wise like the directional chute on the end of a snowblower. I fill the hopper with the DE, get to where I want to start and start crankin'! I dust the flower beds and all the rest of the way around the house, the garage and the wood pile and it does a great job of keeping all the creepy critters away. I don't put it in the garden because the worms are helpful.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I get it locally out of Miami via ebay. Mix it in smoothies.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Does it (DT) have any flavor? Or does it have texture like metamucil in a glass of water?
Read a lot about it but have never seen or tried the stuff.

BF
To me it tastes a little like muddy water. Have never used metamucal so can't speak to that.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
To me it tastes a little like muddy water. Have never used metamucal so can't speak to that.
To me, it has a 'clay' taste to it. not bad, not heavy, just notable. I take a heaping tbs in a large glass of water maybe once a week.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
To me, it has a 'clay' taste to it. not bad, not heavy, just notable. I take a heaping tbs in a large glass of water maybe once a week.
YUP !!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My mom often says, "Like Grandma used to say, 'you gotta eat a peck of dirt before you die.' "

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I add a heaping tablespoon into a glass, add water & crushed ice.
Stir good with a spoon & drink, re-stirring occasionally. The taste is not that bad & you get used to it.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I add a heaping tablespoon into a glass, add water & crushed ice.
Stir good with a spoon & drink, re-stirring occasionally. The taste is not that bad & you get used to it.
sissy