• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

DICK’S AND WALMART SUED: 20-Year Old Fed Up Over New Gun Policies Mar 6, 2018

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
that's one way to pay for a college education... in law!

DICK’S AND WALMART SUED: 20-Year Old Fed Up Over New Gun Policies
Mar 6, 2018

A 20-year old Oregon man just filed suit against both Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart for refusing to sell him a rifle. He’s claiming age discrimination since the law in Oregon still allows people as young as 18 to buy a rifle or shotgun. The two companies changed their policy for buying guns after the Parkland high school shooting. The knee jerk reaction to change policy could open them up to lawsuits like the one in Oregon. Who didn’t see this coming?

THE GUN DISCUSSION SINCE PARKLAND HAS BEEN DEVOID OF COMMON SENSE

Here’s our best argument against changing the age restriction to purchase guns:

KMOV reports:

Tyler Watson’s lawsuits filed against the retailers in two separate counties claim he faced age discrimination from Dick’s and Walmart. The lawsuit is believed to be the first filed over the new gun policies enacted on Feb. 28.

The lawsuit claims a store owned by Dick’s Sporting Goods in Medford, Oregon, refused to sell Watson .22-caliber Ruger rifle on Feb. 24. The suit says Grants Pass Walmart in Oregon refused to sell him a gun on March 3.

It’s not clear if Watson knew at that point of the restrictions.

“He was really just trying to buy a rifle,” said his attorney Max Whittington.

Watson is asking judges to force Dick’s and Walmart “to stop unlawfully discriminating against 18, 19, and 20 year-old customers at all Oregon locations.” Additionally, he is asking for unspecified punitive damages.

Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove said the retailer plans to defend the new policy.

“We stand behind our decision and plan to defend it,” he said. “While we haven’t seen the complaint, we will respond as appropriate with the court.”

ONE MORE COMMON SENSE ARGUMENT AGAINST GUN CONTROL:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I hope the NRA is funding this young man's legal costs since they've just come into a windfall of new membership income. Tiome for them to stop playing politics and come to the table

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Walmart can still make their own policies. The law reads minimum age required to buy, not required to sell.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
So then how is it discrimination to refuse to sell a cake to a gay couple? Do companies get to choose who they do business with or don't they?
“We stand behind our decision and plan to defend it,”
The question I have is WHY? Do walmart and dick's execs really think this is going to save people's lives? How? Why? There are plenty of 20 year olds that are perfectly responsible and can handle gun ownership without any issues, then there are 35 year olds that should not have guns because they're irresponsible children. This stuff is madness. Either a 20 year old is an adult or they're not. If I'm in business to make money, then why am I curtailing sales based on what appears to be fuzzy logic? Are these misguided execs counting on increased soccer mom business because they've stopped sales of certain guns to 18, 19, & 20 year olds? I just cannot fathom how this is good policy.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I hope the NRA is funding this young man's legal costs since they've just come into a windfall of new membership income.
I'm dropping mine and going with Gun Owners of America ( GOA) .
I'm tired of the NRA trying to suck up to Washington DC politicians.
I'm gonna support people who have some "STONES" and become one of the 1.5 MILLION + members of the GOA. ( Started by former members and executives of the nra ( small letters intended).

According to GOA membership up and members are being more active than ever.

INTERESTED ?
gunowners.org

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
if it is not ok, for a bakery to withhold a sale to a gay couple,

then why would it be ok for a different corp to withhold a sale?

some may state but that is different.

I state, no it is not. Commerce is commerce. Buyer and seller.
The rest is just individual situations.

The market should decide,

Walmart should be able to make those decisions, and the market determine the ultimate result.
Same as the bakery should be able to make those choices accordingly.

stoli

I'm gonna support people who have some "STONES" and become one of the 1.5 MILLION + members of the GOA. ( Started by former members and executives of the nra ( small letters intended).

INTERESTED ?
gunowners.org
GOA endorsed Ron Paul for prez while nra was backing Mcshame a few elections ago.
That switched me over to GOA

Stinger

INTERESTED ? gunowners.org
A wise decision!

(You're one of the faster guns on the board, ain't ya!) ;)

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Walmart can still make their own policies. The law reads minimum age required to buy, not required to sell.
I must have missed that part in the 2nd.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Curious as to why the mindset is NRA or GOA??? Why pick sides??? No organization is ever gonna be perfect....you can join both for $20 a year (requires five yr up for NRA to get that rate).

A fractured gun base is not good...just look at what happened to this board when some felt the need to be a splinter faction...each group suffered.

The platforms of the NRA and GOA are +90% identical. $40 a year supports both....most of us hear dropped more then that to support Scorp’s efforts running GIM...

Too much is on the line to let the NRA/GOA debate be an issue for gun owners to give even 1 second of though.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
if it is not ok, for a bakery to withhold a sale to a gay couple,

then why would it be ok for a different corp to withhold a sale?

some may state but that is different.

I state, no it is not. Commerce is commerce. Buyer and seller.
The rest is just individual situations.

The market should decide,

Walmart should be able to make those decisions, and the market determine the ultimate result.
Same as the bakery should be able to make those choices accordingly.
BINGO!!!

/thread

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Curious as to why the mindset is NRA or GOA??? Why pick sides??? No organization is ever gonna be perfect....you can join both for $20 a year (requires five yr up for NRA to get that rate).

A fractured gun base is not good...just look at what happened to this board when some felt the need to be a splinter faction...each group suffered.

The platforms of the NRA and GOA are +90% identical. $40 a year supports both....most of us hear dropped more then that to support Scorp’s efforts running GIM...

Too much is on the line to let the NRA/GOA debate be an issue for gun owners to give even 1 second of though.
That's all true. We have some pretty big enemies and bigger fights than the trivialities gun owners are having with the NRA. Join GOA and NRA. Make both organizations stronger.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
And stop buying your armaments from those who unnecessarily exclude others

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I hope the NRA is funding this young man's legal costs since they've just come into a windfall of new membership income. Tiome for them to stop playing politics and come to the table
Thought:
Where DOES a 20 year old get enough time or money to find an attorney who can even understand what they're saying / trying to convey to them, let alone agree to handle a weapon related lawsuit?

BS meter's going crazy, happened right after I hit Post Reply

body began to vibrate, took a shit, came back, yep, felt right to reply, again

bull shit
I tried to sue my city once, crappy roads, everyone knew the corner was bad
couldn't find a lawyer interested

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
The 2nd is between the government and the people, not Walmart and the people.
Walmart and dick's ( little dicks) is saying "We are selling Firearms, Just NOT TO YOU".

EXACT same accusation the queers and lesbians are making towards certain bakers.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Walmart and dick's ( little dicks) is saying "We are selling Firearms, Just NOT TO YOU".

EXACT same accusation the queers and lesbians are making towards certain bakers.
If you believe that bakeries shouldn’t be forced to sell wedding cakes to homosexuals, then Walmart should not be forced to sell to anyone under 21.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I belong to the NRA and a host of other 2A groups. I helped out at a local gun show in Hauppauge, NY yesterday at the NRA table. We blew through a membership book by noon. A book usually lasts us three to four shows. May I remind you that this is in deep blue anti-gun NY. People were not opting for the one year membership but the three year hitch. We also had a lot of law enforcement folks signing up or renewing. The fact that we had so many law enforcement (both active and retired) signing up or renewing is quite telling and something the antis should take note of.

Anyway, one of the organizations I belong to, Sportsman's Association for Firearms Education (http://nysafe.org/) is headed by a NRA board member, John Cushman. While John could not share details there are a lot things in the works, most notably the FL efforts and lawsuits. I've known John for years and he is not a BS'er -- in fact he's kicked butt at the NRA with people who want to play games.

Anyway, patience is the word. Not because the NRA is dragging its feet but because all of these lawsuits need to be rock solid so as not to provide case law precedents to the opposition. It's bad enough we have the playing field tilted against us with anti-2A activist judges who will do whatever legal twisting and wild interpretation to rule for their fellow travelers.

So, yes! A lot of stuff is happening behind the curtain and yes! I too get frustrated with the pace and outcomes but even when you have an iron clad case the judge will poison the case like in Colaiacovo v. Dormer, Supreme Ct, Suffolk County, Weber, J., October 30, 2008, Index No. 20230/2008 (http://www.nysrpa.org/files/colaiacovo_v_dormer.pdf) where in beginning of the judgement the judge affirms no right to bear arms and then contradicts himself on the last page, ruling for the plaintiff who was suing for his guns back after his wife stole the key to the gun safe and then shot herself in a suicide. Again, a trick of the jurist trade so the case could not be cited as a precedent. This is the stuff the NRA and any other 2A organizations is up against.

Last edited:

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If you believe that bakeries shouldn’t be forced to sell wedding cakes to homosexuals, then Walmart should not be forced to sell to anyone under 21.

No where in the constitution is your right to buy a cake enumerated or ensconced but buying and possessing a firearm is.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
No where in the constitution is your right to buy a cake enumerated or ensconced but buying and possessing a firearm is.
Walmart has nothing to do with the constitution.

Just like how if I start posting dumb shit on this forum, Scorpio will smack me with the ban hammer; I can’t then claim that he is violating my 1st amendment rights.

The 2nd amendment means that the government can not disarm the militia. It doesn’t mean that stores have to sell weapons to everyone.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

Walmart doesn't have to sell a thing to anyone and no one is forced to shop there either. No one should purchase a firearm from Walmart. It doesn't get any lower quality than that shithole

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Walmart has nothing to do with the constitution.

Just like how if I start posting dumb shit on this forum, Scorpio will smack me with the ban hammer; I can’t then claim that he is violating my 1st amendment rights.

The 2nd amendment means that the government can not disarm the militia. It doesn’t mean that stores have to sell weapons to everyone.
Let's wait for the decisions to come down on this to decide who is correct. In the mean time, take a gander at the legal forums of your choice and see that the opinion is overwhelmingly that these retailers are in for a world of butt hurt along with citations of case law precedent that will be used against them.

Oh! and let's not forget the ATF investigation that was opened up after numerous complaints. While I believe the BATFE will do nothing in the end there is strong precedent also for pulling those retailers FFL-01 which is making a lot of government apparatchiks nervous because they will need to do something.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Problem is, the other side chose to use cakes to set the legal precedent. Cake is but one product of many that a store can chose to sell, but if they are open to the public, they are not allowed to pick and choose who they sell to.
As long as the customer isn't being belligerent, or otherwise committing a crime or communicating that he intends to commit a crime with the merchandise, there should be no restrictions on the sale of anything. Store is either open to the public and/or all legal customers, or it shouldn't be open to anyone.
Saying they aren't going to sell to a particular person because of some arbitrary opinion of the seller is no different than someone refusing someone service because of the color of their skin, or nationality, or age, or anything else that only amounts to one person trying to impose their personal views on others.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I do think the Florida law that raises the age to 21 is unconstitutional.
Of course it is! It's discriminatory and illegal but states aren't really interested in following that old, outdated piece of frayed parchment.

There's NO comparison between baking cakes for faggots and 2A. Apples and oranges and that argument just fogs the issue

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I think the whole point about the gay wedding cake bakery thing vs. WalMart selling guns to everyone, or discriminating against 18-20 year olds is consistency. The law needs to be consistent. If the bakery can't discriminate against gay weddings, then WM can't discriminate against 18-20 year olds.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
It's discriminatory and illegal but states aren't really interested in following that old, outdated piece of frayed parchment.
Me thinks that in this case, they may be about to get their noses rubbed in that old piece of parchment.

Walmart doesn't have to sell a thing to anyone and no one is forced to shop there either. No one should purchase a firearm from Walmart. It doesn't get any lower quality than that shithole
Maybe so, but they have the best deals on white privilege that I've seen anywhere.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Me thinks that in this case, they may be about to get their noses rubbed in that old piece of parchment.

Maybe so, but they have the best deals on white privilege that I've seen anywhere.
White privilege brigade:

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I think the whole point about the gay wedding cake bakery thing vs. WalMart selling guns to everyone, or discriminating against 18-20 year olds is consistency. The law needs to be consistent. If the bakery can't discriminate against gay weddings, then WM can't discriminate against 18-20 year olds.
Exactly. As I said, the other side chose to use cake to set the standard. Now it's gonna bite 'em in the @$$. lol

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Both the NRA and the GOA are controlled by the gun control tribe. I wouldn't give either one a penny, although I sent both plenty before I figured them out.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Both the NRA and the GOA are controlled by the gun control tribe. I wouldn't give either one a penny, although I sent both plenty before I figured them out.
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that, Hoarder. Got any backup for that?

Stinger

That's all true. We have some pretty big enemies and bigger fights than the trivialities gun owners are having with the NRA. Join GOA and NRA. Make both organizations stronger.
OK, I'm only going to say this once; and I am NOT going to argue about it:

I've been an NRA member for 48 years. (Most, but not all of this time, as a Life Member) Back in 1977 I closely watched and followed the daily events at the so-called 'Cincinnati Revolt' — For whatever reasons today's history does NOT recount the unfolding events and decisions made at this historic meeting accurately; but, hey, that's another story.

The day might yet come when you need to remember that, once upon a time, some older NRA Life Member, you encountered on the internet, said this to you: (Ready?)

WHEN PUSH COMES TO SHOVE YOU CANNOT TRUST THE NRA. NOT YESTERDAY, NOT TODAY, AND I'M SURE NOT TOMORROW, EITHER!

Now, go ahead and think whatever you like. I've already been there; I've already done that; and I'm presently too far along in life to continue to give a damn. It's today's kids who are going to have to deal with this ongoing problem, not me; but the NRA is one very cleverly set up organization that, in my own life-experience, is NOT going to be there whenever you really need them; nor will the NRA's senior management make any really important decision(s) correctly on behalf of the general membership.

Why? Because members of the NRA's senior management group—the actual unelected senior board members, themselves, and NOT the popularly elected, but thoroughly subordinate, 'Board of Directors'—are, as far as I'm concerned, absolute 'past masters' at the arts of: intrigue, misdirection, and beguilement.

But, then again, what would you expect from an organization that keeps a stone bust of a convicted (and subsequently politically excused) murderer on display in their main lobby!

Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
OK, I'm only going to say this once; and I am NOT going to argue about it...!
Nice. I'll just take your word for all that stuff you posted.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
OK, I'm only going to say this once; and I am NOT going to argue about it:

I've been an NRA member for 48 years. (Most, but not all of this time, as a Life Member) Back in 1977 I closely watched and followed the daily events at the so-called 'Cincinnati Revolt' — For whatever reasons today's history does NOT recount the unfolding events and decisions made at this historic meeting accurately; but, hey, that's another story.

The day might yet come when you need to remember that, once upon a time, some older NRA Life Member, you encountered on the internet, said this to you: (Ready?)

WHEN PUSH COMES TO SHOVE YOU CANNOT TRUST THE NRA. NOT YESTERDAY, NOT TODAY, AND I'M SURE NOT TOMORROW, EITHER!

Now, go ahead and think whatever you like. I've already been there; I've already done that; and I'm presently too far along in life to continue to give a damn. It's today's kids who are going to have to deal with this ongoing problem, not me; but the NRA is one very cleverly set up organization that, in my own life-experience, is NOT going to be there whenever you really need them; nor will the NRA's senior management make any really important decision(s) correctly on behalf of the general membership.

Why? Because members of the NRA's senior management group—the actual unelected senior board members, themselves, and NOT the popularly elected, but thoroughly subordinate, 'Board of Directors'—are, as far as I'm concerned, absolute 'past masters' at the arts of: intrigue, misdirection, and beguilement.

But, then again, what would you expect from an organization that keeps a stone bust of a convicted (and subsequently politically excused) murderer on display in their main lobby!
This wouldn't surprise me one bit!!! I don't put my faith in any organization any longer. These past couple of years has taught me this....NOTHING is as it seems and there is no such thing as a coincidence. Everything happens, and HAS happened, for a reason!

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

Stinger

Nice. I'll just take your word for all that stuff you posted.
Well, thank you; but I'd prefer that, instead of just taking my word for things, you'd stop and seriously think about what I said, instead. Keep your eyes open, too. You just might be surprised at what you (all of a sudden like) end up actually seeing! ;)

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I think the whole point about the gay wedding cake bakery thing vs. WalMart selling guns to everyone, or discriminating against 18-20 year olds is consistency. The law needs to be consistent.
yes, that is the point,

not laws dependent on skin color or PERSONAL predispositions