• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

DICK’S AND WALMART SUED: 20-Year Old Fed Up Over New Gun Policies Mar 6, 2018

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Still don't care about either, regardless, It's age discrimination.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Walmart isn’t violating anyone’s 2nd amendment. However they might be discriminating.

My extensive research on Wikipedia took me to the civil rights act of 1964.

title II

Outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin in hotels, motels, restaurants, theaters, and all other public accommodations engaged in interstate commerce; exempted private clubs without defining the term "private".[44]

Says nothing about age. Unless I’m missing something, that cake argument isn’t all the way baked.

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Walmart isn’t violating anyone’s 2nd amendment. However they might be discriminating.

My extensive research on Wikipedia took me to the civil rights act of 1964.

Says nothing about age. Unless I’m missing something, that cake argument isn’t all the way baked.
At least some of the suits were filed in Oregon over attempted purchases in Oregon. Oregon has an age discrimination statute which does not exempt firearms and ammunition. It does exempt (and prohibit) alcohol and marijuana sales until age 21. If the courts weren't crooked it will take legislative action to change it. But of course the courts in Oregon are crooked. It's not the same statute that covers wedding cakes, but it's apples-to-apples equivalent, and the ruling about the wedding cake is history. The Oregon legislative action to address firearm sales has been proposed.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Unless I’m missing something, that cake argument isn’t all the way baked.
What you are missing is that a precedent has been set that a seller of goods licensed to do business with the public isn't permitted to pick and choose, based upon their own personal beliefs, who can buy their product. Unless there is some legal reason the person isn't allowed to buy the item, they have to sell it to 'em if they would otherwise be willing to sell it to anyone else.
...and you are right about one thing, it is discrimination. Anytime someones Rights are being diminished or altogether ignored, for any reason, is discrimination.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
What you are missing is that a precedent has been set that a seller of goods licensed to do business with the public isn't permitted to pick and choose, based upon their own personal beliefs, who can buy their product. Unless there is some legal reason the person isn't allowed to buy the item, they have to sell it to 'em if they would otherwise be willing to sell it to anyone else.
...and you are right about one thing, it is discrimination. Anytime someones Rights are being diminished or altogether ignored, for any reason, is discrimination.
Idk about that precedent. Federal civil rights act doesn’t cover age discrimination. It does cover race, religion and nationality. Where has that precedent been set in regards to age?

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Idk about that precedent. Federal civil rights act doesn’t cover age discrimination. It does cover race, religion and nationality. Where has that precedent been set in regards to age?
Why should it be ok to be able to pick and choose who you'll sell a gun to, but not ok to pick and choose who you'll sell a cake to? The only requirement should be that the person in question not be legally prohibited to purchase the item.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Why should it be ok to be able to pick and choose who you'll sell a gun to, but not ok to pick and choose who you'll sell a cake to? The only requirement should be that the person in question not be legally prohibited to purchase the item.
I haven’t found any federal laws or seen any federal precedents that protect age discrimination in regards to purchasing goods.

Again, the civil rights act doesn’t cover age when purchasing goods.

Where exactly is the legal protection?

In Oregon I believe that was a state law. Unless there is a state law that says Walmart has to, I don’t think there is protection.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Where exactly is the legal protection?
Where was the legal protections for any of that stuff prior to their cases being heard in Court? What we're saying is that if one is allowed to pick and choose who they'll sell a particular thing to, then that same logic should apply to all things being sold.

Case in point, what happened to Rosa Parks wasn't considered to be discrimination at the time. Legally speaking, she was supposed to sit in back.
....but we all know it was discrimination, regardless of what the law may have said about it at the time.

Another way of looking at it is, if Walmart is allowed to deny sales based on some arbitrary belief of its owners, then one should damn well be permitted to refuse to sell a cake to someone based upon their arbitrary belief, too.
...but they aren't allowed to do that. Why should gun sellers get to pick and choose when cake sellers can't?

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Why should gun sellers get to pick and choose when cake sellers can't?
In regards to age, there isn’t any federal law preventing that as far as I can tell.

In Oregon, it was found to be illegal to not sell homo cakes.

That’s why.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
You’ve probably seen these signs at restaurants: “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.” Or, “No shirt, no shoes, no service.”

But what do these signs really mean? Can a business just refuse service to someone? Can they throw you out if you forgot your flip-flops on the beach? When is a refusal to serve someone justified and when is it discrimination that could lead to a lawsuit?

The issue made big headlines recently, when the state of Indiana passed its Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Gay rights activists immediately protested that the law was just a way to legalize discrimination against gays: any business owner could now refuse to serve them simply by citing a religious objection.

The law caused such a firestorm that the legislature hastily enacted an amendment clarifying that the law could not be used to discriminate on the basis of sexual preference. But with other states also considering religious freedom laws, the issue isn’t likely to go away anytime soon.

What Do the Anti-Discrimination Laws Say?

At the heart of the debate is a system of anti-discrimination laws enacted by federal, state and local governments. The entire United States is covered by the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination by privately owned places of public accommodation on the basis of race, color, religion or national origin. Places of “public accommodation” include hotels, restaurants, theaters, banks, health clubs and stores. Nonprofit organizations such as churches are generally exempt from the law.

The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination by private businesses based on disability.

The federal law does not prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, so gays are not a protected group under the federal law. However, about 20 states, including New York and California, have enacted laws that prohibit discrimination in public accommodations based on sexual orientation. In California, you also can’t discriminate based on someone’s unconventional dress. In some states, like Arizona, there’s no state law banning discrimination against gays, but there are local laws in some cities that prohibit sexual orientation discrimination.

So, no matter where you live, you cannot deny service to someone because of his or her race, color, religion, national origin or disability. In some states and cities, you also cannot discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation. If there is no state, federal or local law prohibiting discrimination in public accommodations against a particular group of people, then you can legally refuse to serve that group of people.
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/...fuse-service-to-someone-because-of-appearance

Seems pretty clear to me.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Seems pretty clear to me.
This case in Oregon certainly seems clear.
...and like I said, we will see what the Courts have to say about it. My opinion is that this is in fact a clear case of discrimination.

MEDFORD, Ore. -- The attorney representing a southern Oregon man in a discrimination lawsuit said he is confident the court will side with his client.

Tyler Watson, 20, filed lawsuits on March 5 against both, Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart, after store employees wouldn't sell him a gun because he isn't 21.

READ MORE: Southern Oregon man takes on two big stores in discrimination lawsuit

In Oregon, age is a part of the public accommodations law. This means that stores cannot discriminate against someone because of their age. Tobacco, marijuana, and alcohol are exceptions.

"I see this going to summary judgment," said Max Whittington, Watson's lawyer. "I don't think there's a lot of facts at issue. I think that the courts will agree with us that these practices are discriminatory and enjoin them."

Whittington said the stores are ignoring Oregon law and need to be held accountable

http://www.kezi.com/content/news/At...ient-in-discrimination-lawsuit-476400393.html

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
isn't having the age cutoff at 18 also discrimination?

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
In most cases, aren't those under 18 defined as children and therefore do not have full responsibility for their own Rights?
Ie: typically someone else is legally responsible for them. Parent(s), guardian(s) or State agency, and as such can be prohibited from purchasing a gun?

My question is, even though a 15yo can't buy a gun, is it legal for a parent to give their kid a gun? Like for example a shotgun intended for use when going quail hunting with dad. Is that legal? Or legally speaking, does it need to remain as dads gun that is merely used time to time by the son during the activity of hunting?

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Of course, but in Oregon that cutoff is backed by law. Other than the exceptions already noted, the refusal to sell anything else between ages 18 and 21 is prohibited by Oregon law.

Stinger

Hey, wait until you read THIS!

[I mean it ain't exactly like I didn't tell ya so – Yes!]

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reason why my few buck went to GOA this year. Plus they are more at giving We the People paths to Congress , Senate and TRUMP on the People's feelings on gun control and the 2nd amendment.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
It's The End of Firearms Channels on YouTube
The Daily Shooter

Published on Mar 20, 2018
Recently YouTube has served channel strikes and deleted firearms channels and conservative content. We new we were under attack by anti 2A Google and its subsidiaries but today we have the proof. YouTube has updated their policy on firearms content to be so restrictive that it does not allow for nearly all related content exist without penalty on the platform.
Please follow on Full30.com/thedailyshooter
and support at Patreon.com/thedailyshooter