• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Divers in Caesarea find largest treasure of gold coins ever discovered in Israel

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
And of course they didn't get to keep even one of them, right?

R.

luckabuck

I made mine in the stock market!
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The Jews follow the "golden rule", which is stated as "those that have the gold, make the rules".

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
So, who's "Boating accident" was discovered?

Eyebone

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
What is ,,(eleventh century CE).

I know BC, BCE, but what is that?

Eyebone

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
That's why isreal exists, to store their swag.

Someplace they have never had before.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Some miserly Hebrew didn't get to enjoy their swag of gold....

Those are Islamic, not Byzantine. Have no idea of the vintage.

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how well a stack of fiat FRNs would hold up after 1000 years at the bottom of the Ocean?

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
As to the source of the gold coins there are a couple theories:

“The discovery of such a large hoard of coins that had such tremendous economic power in antiquity raises several possibilities regarding its presence on the seabed,” said Kobi Sharvit, director of the Marine Archaeology Unit in the statement. “There is probably a shipwreck there of an official treasury boat which was on its way to the central government in Egypt with taxes that had been collected.

“Perhaps the treasure of coins was meant to pay the salaries of the Fatimid military garrison which was stationed in Caesarea and protected the city. Another theory is that the treasure was money belonging to a large merchant ship that traded with the coastal cities and the port on the Mediterranean Sea and sank there.”

The Marine Archaeology Unit is planning to conduct a salvage extraction in the national park in hopes of answering exactly how the coins ended up off the coast of Israel.
http://www.kitco.com/news/2015-02-1...rly-2000-Ancient-Coins-Off-Israeli-Coast.html

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What kart are those coins?

gringott

"Internet Influencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The story leaves a lot out. First it was a Roman city. Then the Byzantine Christians held it. Then the Arabs took it in 639 and it shrunk. The Crusaders took it in 1101 developed the city, it was captured by Saladin in 1187 and back in Crusader hands in 1191 after King Richard the Lion Hearted kicked out the Muslims. Louis IX of France restored it and rebuilt the walls 1251-52. It fell to the Muslims for the final time in 1265.

The story in the OP states "The IAA reported that the earliest coin exposed in the treasure is a quarter dinar minted in Palermo, Sicily in the second half of the ninth century CE. Most of the discovered coins belong to the Fatimid caliphs Al-Ḥākim (996–1021 CE) and his son Al-Ẓāhir (1021–1036), and were minted in Egypt and North Africa."

Based on the dates of the coins, it could very well be Crusader treasure being transported to Crete, a stopping off place for return from Palestine in those days. They could even be Templar treasure, I don't think it would be odd for them to have 100 year old gold - of course, any treasure or booty they took would be local coins not Northern European.