• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

dividend stocks

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IBM is listed as one of the big players in Quantum Computing that I posted on here
https://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/investing-in-quantum-computing.432903/
IBM is paying a 5.3% yield at the moment and I took a chance and bought some myself meaning it will probably tank. None the less the
ValueLine report is here
https://research.valueline.com/api/...5_VLIS_IBM_1533_01-7CDL33KAE03B9VHSAPQRIJMVO1

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:35PM

Shares of IBM (NYSE:IBM) fell 9.9% on Friday, following the release of the tech giant's fourth-quarter results.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/01/22/why-ibm-stock-plunged-today/

Lmao!!!

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Buying opportunity?

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I don’t remember if I’ve said this already here or not.

I’ve done some research for a while, and this is what I have come up with for the best monthly paying securities.

STAG (warehouse/distribution center reit) 4.74%
UTG (utilities) 6.63%
BST (tech) 4.31%
PTY/GOF (mostly bonds and other financial instruments) 8.74%/11.9%

I can say as a truck driver stag is here to stay for the foreseeable future, I like it better than O, not that O is a terrible choice. Probably the same for UTG... and BST is in the tech sector and that’s a good place to be right now.

PTY/GOF have high dividends and a great history of not cutting them.

Anyone have anything to add as far as monthly? Preferably something that doesn’t go down in NAV over time and cut the dividend.

Edit: Thought I should mention GWRS, it’s a low yield but it does increase over time.

picked up a few shares of STAG in the wife's ira today

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Buying opportunity?

It’s now officially in the dividend aristocrat club (25 years of dividend increase) currently yielding 5.5%.

I may add some but I’d like to get in below $115.

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it is going to split into two companies later this year. It would be interesting to see if there was a way to value its quantum computing assets as well as trying to evaluate the two pieces after the breakup.

Last edited:

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I saw that too. Still unsure what to do with it. Like I mentioned before, I do think there is more upside than downside to VTRS. Not much opportunity cost to keeping it or adding to it, because I don't see anything else out there that is particularly compelling...

added to VTRS today (again). if it pops up i'll sell the extra shares. unless they finally announce the 5 percent dividend that the 'experts' are predicting

from what i read it is expected to be high dividend slow grower with a low valuation. that fits in well with my dividend income holdings - safe and boring

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
It’s now officially in the dividend aristocrat club (25 years of dividend increase) currently yielding 5.5%.

I may add some but I’d like to get in below $115.

that's a good price. i bought some at 113 months ago. it's doing the job - not much cap appreciation, but forking out the fat dividends

Last edited:

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't remember where I read it but the article said Mush would leave Tesla. Writes said to follow Musk to his new venture.
I found that interesting.

Buffet just bribes presidents who sign EO's that give him a monopoly old school..

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I bought a bit of SKT (Tangers Outlet) Reit earlier this year because the price just got so low due to the pandemic and it paid a nice dividend.
Well I'll be damned if I didn't login EOD and see the SOB shot up. It looks like the hoodlum day traders saw how short it was and decided to create a run on it. Now to question of whether to hold it til after the ex-div date on thursday or sell it now as a 3xbagger.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I bought a bit of SKT (Tangers Outlet) Reit earlier this year because the price just got so low due to the pandemic and it paid a nice dividend.
Well I'll be damned if I didn't login EOD and see the SOB shot up. It looks like the hoodlum day traders saw how short it was and decided to create a run on it. Now to question of whether to hold it til after the ex-div date on thursday or sell it now as a 3xbagger.

i own it too. after seeing the gamestop lunacy, i'm holding tight

if it breaks 25 i may start scaling out of it

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
i own it too. after seeing the gamestop lunacy, i'm holding tight

if it breaks 25 i may start scaling out of it
thats what I was thinking, around 25. It could be a fun ride; but its not like its my favorite holding and I havent been a "let it ride" guy in a long ass time.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
thats what I was thinking, around 25. It could be a fun ride; but its not like its my favorite holding and I havent been a "let it ride" guy in a long ass time.

the upside seems a lot bigger than the downside in the near term. the thing started getting spunky a couple of weeks ago

i read that 50 percent of shares are short. gamestop was something like 100 percent. some hedge funds are getting crushed

SEC is going to have to do something - the wrong people are losing money

i find it strange - the gme story is some redditt robin hood fags got together and pulled it off. i have my doubts about that yarn. they have that kind of firepower? lol

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guys article stinks but read the comments. These guys make some great points. Many like this and some even better.

"did some redditt research:

mellenials are pissed. they cant buy a house, because the boomers drove the prices up and wages didnt follow. they wont ever retire, ss and medicare are bankrupt. saving 10-20K is nothing--its a paltry sum in these days--not enuf for down payment on a condo. so.....they will buy they whole float (69 mil) of any stock with more shorts than longs (or a very high short %) and force the shorts to buy from them at their price (with their paltry $1-20K collective savings--chump change in this world until collectively used---genius, actually.). In march...when the market crashed....the redditt crowd mocked the boomers for having the fed save their asses. "boomers cant handle a bear market' --stocks never go down? "we'll teach you stocks never go down". the stock the millenials target will never go down (gamestop) until they get hedge funds to pay their price to unwind their shorts. its a war---millenials versus the establishment/boomers. $1000/share price target for starters. The millenials feel (correctly) they have nothing to lose, because the boomers have fooked valuations and rigged this market for decades at the millenials expense. Next stock on the queue for short crushing--->BB???"

correct me where im wrong---this is the way i understand it. you need 5-10x cash reserves to short this potato and wait it out until capitulation.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/g...-dips-after-report-melvin-citron-cover-shorts

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l5teyc

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l5teyc

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
crazy day for my new trading game -- got longer VTRS and STAG early

took beating

averaged down, buying more of both

bought SH (short etf) to stop the bleeding

went long ASO academy sports on a nice dip

sold out of VTRS, SH, ASO in last half hour -- made up the losses on VTRS. closed with a tiny gain on those three blended together.

still have to deal with STAG tomorrow - and it's ex-div date is this week

fun times

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Took today's action to be a buying opportunity. Added some MRK when it dipped to 77. Starting to eye up adding more VZ as it dips into the low 50s...

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Took today's action to be a buying opportunity. Added some MRK when it dipped to 77. Starting to eye up adding more VZ as it dips into the low 50s...

BCE is behaving like VZ. might add to it on further weakness. Dividend is over 6 percent

Also watching MO. It's been easing down. Read the earnings call transcript, sounded solid, starting a 2 billion dollar share repurchase program and continuing to pay that monster dividend. Covid mania didnt hurt their sales at all.

FMS is another one. largest dialysis player in the world. dividend is around 2 percent. low p/e compared to market. dialysis is growing -- but govs are a problem, as they all meddle in the market

Last edited:

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also watching MO. It's been easing down. Read the earnings call transcript, sounded solid, starting a 2 billion dollar share repurchase program and continuing to pay that monster dividend. Covid mania didnt hurt their sales at all.

A lot of moving parts there. JUUL, Cronos, their IQOS initiatives. That is another one that I really don't know what to do with. My basis on that is just under 39...so if it does dip down to that level, I might be tempted. But not until.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
A lot of moving parts there. JUUL, Cronos, their IQOS initiatives. That is another one that I really don't know what to do with. My basis on that is just under 39...so if it does dip down to that level, I might be tempted. But not until.

indeed they do.

without juul i wouldnt consider holding the thing long term. the kiddos are queer for vaping and juul is the big dog in the market

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
read a lot of pumping of 'dividend growth' stocks. growing companies that pay low, but growing dividends

looks to me like the sp500 is the ticket for that game. just have to buy it right

yearly growth of the dividends of the index

https://www.multpl.com/s-p-500-dividend-growth/table/by-year

Date Value Dec 31, 2020 0.07% Dec 31, 2019 8.36% Dec 31, 2018 9.84% Dec 31, 2017 7.07% Dec 31, 2016 5.33% Dec 31, 2015 10.00% Dec 31, 2014 12.72% Dec 31, 2013 11.99% Dec 31, 2012 18.25% Dec 31, 2011 16.26% Dec 31, 2010 1.45% Dec 31, 2009 -21.07% Dec 31, 2008 2.36% Dec 31, 2007 11.45% Dec 31, 2006 12.01% Dec 31, 2005 14.27% Dec 31, 2004 11.83% Dec 31, 2003 8.16% Dec 31, 2002 2.12% Dec 31, 2001 -3.26% Dec 31, 2000 -2.52% Dec 31, 1999 3.07% Dec 31, 1998 4.50% Dec 31, 1997 4.01% Dec 31, 1996 8.06% Dec 31, 1995 4.69% Dec 31, 1994 4.71% Dec 31, 1993 1.55% Dec 31, 1992 1.49% Dec 31, 1991 0.97% Dec 31, 1990 9.33% Dec 31, 1989 13.38%

Last edited:

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
One of my favorite holdings: KNOP
https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/KNOP
They just passed the last ex-div date; but anytime it gets around $15 and I have some money to put into the market; I add a bit more. Currently pays a well-covered 13% quarterly dividend. They havent grown the dividend in a long while; but its already generous. Also its not a k-1 as I know that bothers some.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
added to mplx mlp after reading latest earnings report. yield is 11ish percent. distribution coverage 1.6 times

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
"sail foam" ?

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
holding T, VZ, BCE, TU in that sector. i dont expect any cap appreciation - consider them high yield money market type investments

VZ is the only one I have, but it is one of my largest holdings. Agree...pure dividend play. Capital appreciation will be low and slow at best. But the dividends from this stock (among others) are going be buying me groceries all through my retirement.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bought some more T last week. Can't beat the dividend.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Bought some more T last week. Can't beat the dividend.

looks like you got a pop on the news that buffett is buying VZ shares

i bought some FNF - largest title company. yield only 3.7 percent. if/when anything starts threatening the real estate boom i'll probably sell some/all of it.

they are going to announce big earnings in about a week, worried that it's already priced in. their competitors have already announced blow out numbers

another sector blowing out earnings is agriculture - wondering if the freeze is going to kill that? i've cut back on NTR and CF, harvesting some gains and added some of those proceeds to WPC and GILD

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I sold some TXT yesterday. It dropped 2 bucks since. I'll miss that fantastic dividend though, $0.08 /yr. <-- sarcasm

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
this article is an eye opener

sadly, this is just a snapshot of today. biden/pelosi and the rest can kill it if they choose to

https://www.fool.com/taxes/2021/02/18/claim-over-80000-tax-free-income-dividend-stocks/

How to Claim Over $80,000 in Tax-Free Income by Investing in Dividend Stocks
Here's another incentive to purchase more dividend-paying stocks this year.

large.ashx

Charlene Rhinehart, CPA
(TMFDividendQueen)

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:39AM

Author Bio

Follow @CharRhinehart

For stock investors, dividend-paying equities offer an extra stream of income that you can enjoy for years. But what can be even better is how that dividend income will (or won't) impact your tax bill.
When it comes to the IRS, all income is not created equal. So if the idea of earning more money and getting taxed less on it -- or even not taxed at all -- appeals to you, here's a rundown of the rules around dividends that can make that possible.

IMAGE SOURCE: GETTY IMAGES.
Unlocking the benefits of dividends
Typically, investors make most of their money in the stock market by selling shares at a profit. But by purchasing shares of dividend-paying stocks, you can get rewarded regularly for holding onto those shares.

Companies pay their investors dividends based on the number of shares they own. If, for example, a company distributes an annual dividend of $2 per share and you own 1,000 shares, you'll qualify for $2,000 in dividends as long as you've met the holding period requirements.

Typically, dividends are paid quarterly, though a small minority of companies distribute them on other schedules. Each time the board of directors declares a dividend, you will receive deposits in your account. And if a company increases its dividend payout -- which some have a habit of doing at least once a year -- you'll get those "pay raises" without having to do anything extra at all.

Taking advantage of the 0% tax bracket
As every adult American rapidly learns, income from ordinary employment is taxed in brackets. The more you earn, the higher the marginal rate will be on the share of your income that falls into your top bracket.

The same is true for certain types of income earned from the stock market, but the brackets involved are different: Most money made via investing will fall within the brackets of 0%, 15%, or 20%. While most people's investment-related income will be taxed at 15% due to their non-investment income, it isn't impossible for yours to fall into the 0% tax bracket -- especially if the majority of your income is derived from dividends.

Here's the key: You can only get tax-free treatment on as much dividend income as leaves you with total taxable income -- including those dividends -- of less than $40,401 as a single filer or less than $80,801 as a married couple filing jointly. Also, as you'll see below, your dividends must be considered qualified. But first, take a look at the 2021 qualified dividends tax table to see the full list of income levels for various tax rates.
2021 qualified dividends

For Single Filers With Taxable Income of...

For Married Joint Filers With Taxable Income of...

For Married Couples Filing Separately With Taxable Income of...

For Heads of Households With Taxable Income of...

...This Is the 2021 Qualified Dividends Tax Rate

$0 to $40,400
$0 to $80,800
$0 to $40,400
$0 to $54,100
0%
$40,401 to $445,850
$80,801 to $501,600
$40,401 to $250,800
$54,101 to $473,750
15%
Over $445,850
Over $501,600
Over $250,800
Over $473,750
20%
DATA SOURCE: IRS.

Earning tax-free qualified dividends
Not all dividends qualify for this favorable treatment. Some types of companies, such as REITs and MLPs, force shareholders to pay taxes on their distributions at your ordinary marginal rates, which could be as high as 37%.

However, you could also fill your portfolio up with stocks that pay qualified dividends, granting you access to the 0%, 15%, and 20% tax brackets. For you to take advantage of those rates, both you and the company have to follow the rules.

First, the dividend must be paid by a U.S. corporation or qualifying foreign entity. Next, the dividend must actually qualify as a dividend as defined by the IRS, and must not be included on the list of exemptions for qualified dividend tax treatment. For instance, you can't receive an annual distribution from a credit union or employee stock option and expect to receive qualified dividend treatment. Third, you must have held the stock paying the dividend for more than 60 days during the 121-day holding period that begins 60 days before the ex-dividend date.
Make the most of every dividend
If you haven't started your dividend investing journey yet, the possibilities of tax-free or low-tax income may just be the extra inducement you need to get you on your way. If you're already on a mission to build a robust dividend portfolio, you can use the qualified dividends and long-term capital gains rates to maximize your opportunities to earn more and pay less in taxes.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
IF it's not taxed by your state. Oregon gets 9% in most cases.

tx uses sky high real estate taxes instead

did oregoners get to deduct, dollar for dollar, the state income tax paid from the federal income tax owed? they call it SALT, i think

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
In Oregon, the federal income tax paid can be deducted from taxable income up to a limit of $6800 for married filing jointly. SALT is state and local taxes. State and local taxes are not deductible for state income tax purposes unless they were paid to a different state. Property taxes are deductible up to $10k limit. Standard deduction is $4545 for married filing jointly. Social security is not taxed, however the stimulus payments are.

I think a reasonable general approximation for married filing jointly would be to take income minus social security, deduct $10k, and send 9% of what's left to Oregon. I don't know how high sky high is, but the Oregon property taxes are pretty steep. The big difference is no sales tax.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
sky high is roughly 3% of property value tx residents pay to city/county/skoolz

300,000 home = 9k per year. moderate discount if you live in the property via the homestead exemption - pay approx 5-6k per year with this

and we have high sales tax on top of that

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
300,000 home = 9k per year. moderate discount if you live in the property via the homestead exemption - pay approx 5-6k per year with this
That sounds pretty high. It's hard to say what rate we pay in Oregon because there's the real market value and assessed value that sometimes don't look very well coordinated. I can just say I pay about $5k a year for a fairly fancy place not in a big metro area. Around Portland, a pretty typical/average place can run 5K. Have to support those antifa subsidies.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
money markets still paying zero ish

gov bonds getting interesting for the 'cash' part of the mix?

30 yr at 2.18

10 yr at 1.39

20 yr at 1.96 (at my broker)

buy for current income, then sell at profit when rates dive again? i'm eyeballing that 20 year

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Investors Business Daily was hyping on Vale stock the other day. A south American Iron ore miner with a 6.5 + - yield. Be sure to DYOD on this one as commodity stocks are seemingly in vogue at the moment anticipating a post covid manufacturing boom that may or may not occur. Additional risk is the geographic location and the biggest risk of all is I own some and my stocks tend to always go down.

IBD Stock Analysis
  • Vale stock is approaching an 17,78 buy point.
  • Shares have a best-possible 99 Composite Rating.
  • The relative strength line is approaching recent highs.
VALE-1.png

Composite Rating
green-99.png

99/99
Industry Group Ranking
group-rating-3.png

3/197
Emerging Pattern
cupWithHandle.png

Cup with Handle
The gains for the company, one of the biggest miners of iron ore, come after commodity prices rebounded as the global economy began to reopen, helped by infrastructure spending in China, along with curbed supply elsewhere.

However two disasters at mines it oversaw in Brazil have damaged its reputation, and raised concerns about its safety protocols.

Vale Stock Sets Up
Vale stock, which fell 2.1% to close at 17.50 in the stock market today, is in a cup-with-handle base with an 17.78 buy point.

The stock's relative strength line is approaching its recent high from January, when it reached levels not seen in two years. The line has dipped since but is rebounding again.

Vale stock has a best-possible 99 Composite Rating. Its EPS Rating, a gauge of profit growth, is 73.

https://www.investors.com/research/...k-sets-up-new-buy-point-as-commodities-surge/