• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

dividend stocks

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My FIL and BIL both retired from ALB.... very versatile and interesting company..... like it whole lot better in the high 30's
Cool. Yeah, it's still a little high. I might start to average in at $44.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That should be a given for any/all companies in any market.
Who will have the best intel? Buffet / Berkshire or simply go S&P instead of individual stocks?
What if this is the "new normal"? So much is going to change no one can see the long term life changing ramifications this will bring.
Will Amazon thrive?
Will malls die?
Will uber food thrive?
Will sitdown restaurants die?
Will drive in movie theaters make a comeback?
Will movie theaters die?
Soooooooooooo many questions only time will answer.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I figure with everybody in lockdown it means even more shopping online, I picked up more of my favorite box stock last week: WRK With the market drop, the yield has increased to a bit over 7%.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Who will have the best intel? Buffet / Berkshire or simply go S&P instead of individual stocks?
What if this is the "new normal"? So much is going to change no one can see the long term life changing ramifications this will bring.
Will Amazon thrive?
Will malls die?
Will uber food thrive?
Will sitdown restaurants die?
Will drive in movie theaters make a comeback?
Will movie theaters die?
Soooooooooooo many questions only time will answer.
A bunch of people will die. Then life will go on with slightly lowered expectations.

Amazon will thrive, retail will continue to the death spiral. One play could be CLIX etf = 75% long online sales, 25% short in-person retail sales.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Another play could be REITs, but it's a bit risky.
They should do well in an ultra-low interest rate environment, but if real estate implodes it could get ugly.
I'm watching real estate ETF's VNQ (4.31% yield) and VNQI (5.42% yield)

edsl48

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Home Depots showing a strong move today and yields 3.72% which isn't a lot in todays market situation. However it is showing strength today

The value Line Report on it is here

https://research.valueline.com/research?=#list=dow30&sec=list

along with the rest of the Dow 30 at no charge. Remeber if Value Line were perfect we would all just buy the Value Line mutual funds, if they still sell them, and all get rich.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Another thing to think about is who will recover the fastest? Large caps or small caps? Who will adapt to and profit from the rapidly changing future fastest?

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I figure with everybody in lockdown it means even more shopping online, I picked up more of my favorite box stock last week: WRK With the market drop, the yield has increased to a bit over 7%.
I'll probably pick up some more of Icahns partnership IEP. With the drop, the yield is up to 19% -- they confirmed their $2/share distribution today. They also ended 2019 significantly short the market so they should have a good quarter with this drop.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Another thing to think about is who will recover the fastest? Large caps or small caps? Who will adapt to and profit from the rapidly changing future fastest?
I think large caps have a bigger shot at .gov handouts and people will tend to lean that way out of risk aversion.

I would be looking at regional or national differences. Europe and the US are just beginning to feel the pain.
Meanwhile, much of Asia has already passed the worst of the crisis.

Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Korea and Japan have all done very well containing the contagion, while the West has entirely lost contain and at this point, just trying to mitigate the damage.

I'm looking at TSM, Taiwan Semiconductor as more of a growth than yield play. Around 3% yield, but IMO major growth potential. They are supposedly ahead of everybody on microprocessors by a year or two. Taiwan has been virtually untouched by coronavirus, so they haven't had the lockdowns and such.

Last edited:

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I’d like to see it drop another 10% but I doubt it will. What else is on your shopping list?
my current game is mega corps that have a solid history of divs. i'm adding or looking to begin these:

adm - archer daniels midland
ko + pep - the cola monsters
att
verizon
bce - bell canada
pfe - pfizer
gsk - glaxo
jnj
xom, bp - averaging down on these two slugs
syy - sysco

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Thanks for that article, good stuff.
So, we've reached a 30% decline and it looks like historically there is a good chance of another 25% or more?
But on average after a month after the initial crash, the odds are fairly good you can start to productively pick at carcasses?
good summary.

my game is to nibble throughout the entire 'v' in small increments. stop buying after bottom/retrace of some of the v's drop

i've been overweight cash for a long time -- so not really feeling the pain of those that were all in. building dividend income stream from scratch

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
my current game is mega corps that have a solid history of divs. i'm adding or looking to begin these:

adm - archer daniels midland
ko + pep - the cola monsters
att
verizon
bce - bell canada
pfe - pfizer
gsk - glaxo
jnj
xom, bp - averaging down on these two slugs
syy - sysco
How about some RTN & GD at these levels.

I’ve also been adding to my ADM & XOM. Started a position in DUK, WHR, TJX & YUM ....the zombie apocalypse won’t last forever.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Already have, but looking to add more.
att
vz
ko

adding positions in
pfe

thinking of but not sure
xom
mcd

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
How about some RTN & GD at these levels.

I’ve also been adding to my ADM & XOM. Started a position in DUK, WHR, TJX & YUM ....the zombie apocalypse won’t last forever.
great minds think alike -- i forgot to add GD on my previous post and was thinking about that this morning. duk and the other utilities have really come down for that steady sector. i've been considering a couple - CNP and SO....but havent pulled the trigger.

YUM is one that i would really like, if the div gets to my range

thanks for the heads up on WHR -- going to have to dig into that one

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I already have duk, ed, fe, peg. Used to have etr, he, so. Had tu also but they went private & bought me out. Imagine, someone taking an electric utility private; mind-boggling.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Another play could be REITs, but it's a bit risky.
They should do well in an ultra-low interest rate environment, but if real estate implodes it could get ugly.
I'm watching real estate ETF's VNQ (4.31% yield) and VNQI (5.42% yield)
Yeah no, no way would I go there right now.