• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

dividend stocks

Mujahideen

Bin Laden double.
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Exxon is holding strong lol. Everyone seems to think it’s dividend is safe... we will see.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Exxon is holding strong lol. Everyone seems to think it’s dividend is safe... we will see.
CEO was on CNBC this morning giving a pretty good shareholder pep talk about cutting spending to preserve dividend but yeah we’ll see. Definitely gonna be some dividend deaths before this mess is over.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Can't seem to pull the trigger on xom. Just too many uncertainties. There are other more stable companies to invest in.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Now that's cutting it close. Put in a limit order today hoping for dip after the morning excitement. Here's when it was executed.

Execution date 04/07/2020 03:59:37 p.m., ET vanguard-040720-2.gif Apparently there was some "after hours" news as it shot up after 4pm close.

Last edited:

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Now that's cutting it close. Put in a limit order today hoping for dip after the morning excitement. Here's when it was executed.

Execution date 04/07/2020 03:59:37 p.m., ET View attachment 160832 Apparently there was some "after hours" news as it shot up after 4pm close.
What did you purchase? If you don’t mind me asking.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
It’s not gonna be the only one by the time this thing is over. Slash it down to a penny right now so the income guys can technically still hold it and just keep running and wait for the bear to catch and devour all the little guys.

Not 100% sure on this but I thought I heard there’s dividend cut stipulations that comes with all this employee protection bailout money.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
^^ I think (thought) that was just an airline thing.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
bp is a recent example. during their massive oil spill and billions upon billions in lawsuits they kept the div

this despite tons of hype of them going bk. the dumbasses in fedgov and nycmedia thought that the crown was going to give up their div.s....lol

the mega-oils will fight div cuts

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
bp is a recent example. during their massive oil spill and billions upon billions in lawsuits they kept the div

this despite tons of hype of them going bk. the dumbasses in fedgov and nycmedia thought that the crown was going to give up their div.s....lol

I had a client that was all in on bp. She said she took a hit.

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++

They did cut it for a short time.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Last edited:

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
digging into WFC, i found this gold nugget

https://investorplace.com/2020/05/7-dividend-stocks-that-may-be-in-danger/

My Growth Investor readers can tell you that I’m not a fan of the big banks; after a past career as a Federal Reserve analyst, I simply don’t trust their accounting. And now, WFC stock is down 54% year to date. Many analysts are cutting their rating from “hold” to “sell” at this point, concerned that WFC can generate the cash needed to operate profitably during the coronavirus.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
digging into WFC, i found this gold nugget

https://investorplace.com/2020/05/7-dividend-stocks-that-may-be-in-danger/

My Growth Investor readers can tell you that I’m not a fan of the big banks; after a past career as a Federal Reserve analyst, I simply don’t trust their accounting. And now, WFC stock is down 54% year to date. Many analysts are cutting their rating from “hold” to “sell” at this point, concerned that WFC can generate the cash needed to operate profitably during the coronavirus.
Biggest crooks in the industry, well for small potatoes The smarter ones make the big deals. And their stock price is showing people are starting to see the light. I would strongly avoid.

This is not the time for bank stocks but US Bank is better run IMO.

Mujahideen

Bin Laden double.
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Just spent 1k on Discover financial services DFS.

Ex-dividend date is May 20, 2020

Yield is 4.49%

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
This article seems to be out of date, or the author didn't research his subject fully. I can only speak for xom & aal. Xom has stated it will not increase the dividend this year as it has done yearly but has frozen it's dividend at the current level. So maybe that qualifies as a cut? AAL suspended it's dividend at the beginning of this crisis months ago. Also the suspension of an airlines dividend (I think) is a requirement of the "loan/grant" they took from uncle sam. So he should mention all the airlines to be fair. He must be shorting AAL for him to single them out for his article.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
on sale, caught up in the US-China trade war

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 9.12.20 AM.png

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
TSM looks like a 2.x percent div yield at current price. if it drops into the 30's i'll give it a good look. thanks.

this week i added a little to AMCR and IRM positions - both conference calls indicated their divs are not at risk (yet?)

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
I added a little more ED to the portfolio when it dropped below 70. I also started a position in RTX around $51.
Not paying dividends at the moment but I added some more GM and BA to the portfolio as well this week.

Negative interest rate talk is killing the banks but I’m thinking about starting a position in BMO. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Mujahideen

Bin Laden double.
Midas Member
Site Supporter

I’m thinking about making a pie on M1 for just monthly dividends. Right now the yields look great. It would be great to see it compound quicker.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I added a little more ED to the portfolio when it dropped below 70. I also started a position in RTX around $51.
Not paying dividends at the moment but I added some more GM and BA to the portfolio as well this week.

Negative interest rate talk is killing the banks but I’m thinking about starting a position in BMO. Any thoughts?
ED looks good -- buying at 2016 price

RTX also at 2016 price. i like both of them. good divs, rock solid companies

BMO - i wrestle with the big banks. they cook the books like mad.....but they have the central banks backing them up. i look at those yields with lust, but they are a little to spicy for my retirement funds. i do own some in etf's, but have resisted the lust on individual names (so far)

Mujahideen

Bin Laden double.
Midas Member
Site Supporter
O - Realty Income Corporation
Looks like a solid buy right now for the long run.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
ED is good. Have that for years. My average price is $54. Doubt I'll ever see that price again.

Been adding to T & MO. Thinking of adding more FE. Sold a batch a few years ago; did well. Maybe time to buy again; lower. Also been averaging down a few underwater dogs. Everyone has at least a dog or two in their collection.

Looking into day trading TSLA. Need it to drop again though. Well not exactly "day" trade, but def a short term holding.

@EO - thank god you changed your avatar. Can't tell you how sick I get just seeing her.
@Muj - I'd be careful on commercial realty reit's. Big changes coming to offices. Many companies may not return to full offices. Could be many empty buildings / broken leases in the long run. Just be careful.

Last edited:

Mujahideen

Bin Laden double.
Midas Member
Site Supporter
@Muj - I'd be careful on commercial realty reit's. Big changes coming to offices. Many companies may not return to full offices. Could be many empty buildings / broken leases in the long run. Just be careful.
No nuts = no glory.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
No balls - no blue chips.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
O - Realty Income Corporation
Looks like a solid buy right now for the long run.
i like O. it's one of the monsters in that genre. i have a few shares....and hope that mrlucky is right....and it gets taken down from 50 to below 40 so that i can add to it. waiting and watching.....

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
added a few shares of VZ today. 4.5 yield, low volatility, just grinds out its dividend. will add more if price drops markedly

Mujahideen

Bin Laden double.
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I was doing some research and came across...

SPHD - Invesco S&P 500 High Dividend Low Volatility ETF

It’s a monthly dividend. SPHD tracks a dividend-yield-weighted index comprising the 50 least volatile names chosen from a shortlist of the S&P 500's 75 highest-dividend-yielding securities.

Right now it’s 5.6% Expense ratio 0.3%

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I was doing some research and came across...

SPHD - Invesco S&P 500 High Dividend Low Volatility ETF

It’s a monthly dividend. SPHD tracks a dividend-yield-weighted index comprising the 50 least volatile names chosen from a shortlist of the S&P 500's 75 highest-dividend-yielding securities.

Right now it’s 5.6% Expense ratio 0.3%
that's a monster yield and ok expense ratio. i'm not a big fan of etf's in general, because of the expense charges. that 0.3 expense ratio goes to zero if build one's own similar thing - which is possible in this zero commission world. so the yield on the self-built replica is 5.9 vs the 5.6 they distribute

their top 10 holdings are solid imo -- a good fund to buy, replicate, or steal ideas from.

good find

Last edited:

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++

here's a write up on canadian banks that you might be interested in

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4348300-2-safe-high-yield-blue-chips-retirees-can-trust

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Been adding more T and MO while looking for other opportunities.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Been adding more T and MO while looking for other opportunities.
i like it.

i hold both of those. probably regret not adding to MO. i have a full position in T, but less in MO

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
" full" ? What's that? Actually I need to boost the VZ collection.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
" full" ? What's that? Actually I need to boost the VZ collection.
1.5 to 2 percent of total account balance. some of account is in short term bond etf's and money market, so approx double that for percent of stock allocation - 3 or 4 percent of the stock holdings in one name is my self-imposed limit

most of the stock holdings are not at max....and never will be. like to split the funds when i can -- recent example was CBRL and TXRH. i split that money into two. neither will be bought to max - but combined they might

how do you allocate?

Last edited: