• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

dividend stocks

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
@EO

Similar but I think you have more companies than I do. I try not to make managing my full time job which is what I would do if I had more companies. I do try to keep the %age of any one issue from dominating the others. But it's difficult when you have some issues with high valuations e.g. amzn, googl, etc. It makes it more of a balancing act.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Went mostly into cash yesterday and today. Gut feeling to take the profits on this nice run up we’ve all had.
i agree, feels toppy. trying to resist trading and focus on the div income. it's tough

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
...and naturally the market is up huge today. lol. Oh well, I’ll be ready for the next downturn.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
...and naturally the market is up huge today. lol. Oh well, I’ll be ready for the next downturn.
crazy train has left the station. many stocks i follow are higher than before the crash

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Anyone get in on the "special" dividend from CMCM?
looked at it after you posted. that's a massive special div from a tiny little chinese outfit. crazy stuff....too hot for me to handle. maybe 20 years ago!

Last edited:

LarsonLarsen

Seeker
Seeker
Yeah I myself did not indulge, either. Very tempting but I'm still pretty raw and a little too risk averse. Rightfully so as I've taken a pounding the last two weeks.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Yeah I myself did not indulge, either. Very tempting but I'm still pretty raw and a little too risk averse. Rightfully so as I've taken a pounding the last two weeks.
never been a dividend investor until recently. spent decades betting on stuff to go up. i've fallen in love with the div game - wish i would have started when i was younger. going to try to brainwash my kids into doing what i didnt do. think it will serve them well

Last edited:

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
energy holocaust

MLPs -- many are paying ABSURD high distributions. most are yield chasing landmines

i have narrowed the field down to two superior picks (unless they are cooking the books.....the unseen risk)

done more than a fair amount of MLP research during this downturn - focusing on the best of the best. these two check all of the boxes

EPD - paying 10 percent at current price

ENB (c-corp, not mlp) - paying 7+ percent at current price

a third consideration is KMI

recommend holding these in tax advantaged accounts -- no K1 tax headaches

and limit share count to hundreds, not thousands PER ACCOUNT.....UBTI penalty avoidance. if have two/three IRAs, split the holdings between them

Last edited:

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Knowing what we know now, is buying for dividends different now?

I'm watching a few I missed earlier, but I'll be honest it's a balance between waiting for a lower price as the 6 mo moving averages are slowly moving lower vs not wanting to pass up the deal for fear of "is this really the bottom"?

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Knowing what we know now, is buying for dividends different now?

I'm watching a few I missed earlier, but I'll be honest it's a balance between waiting for a lower price as the 6 mo moving averages are slowly moving lower vs not wanting to pass up the deal for fear of "is this really the bottom"?
i look at it this way (for this div investing) -

a lot of sectors are being stress tested during this drama. if company is in a shitty sector and still cranking out numbers = good to go, div is on solid footing and if/when things normalize, even better

EPD and ENB are great examples -- shitty energy sector, but still covering divs with no problem

agree with you here -- tough to buy non-shitty sectors at these prices. i picked up a few shares of CF (fertilizer) and ENB recently, but not finding any deals

Last edited:

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Everyone expects a market takedown before November right? Remember noname saying the market was strong & within a month they destroyed it?
2008 S&P 500 -38.49%

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
energy holocaust

MLPs -- many are paying ABSURD high distributions. most are yield chasing landmines

i have narrowed the field down to two superior picks (unless they are cooking the books.....the unseen risk)

done more than a fair amount of MLP research during this downturn - focusing on the best of the best. these two check all of the boxes

EPD - paying 10 percent at current price

ENB (c-corp, not mlp) - paying 7+ percent at current price

a third consideration is KMI

recommend holding these in tax advantaged accounts -- no K1 tax headaches

and limit share count to hundreds, not thousands PER ACCOUNT.....UBTI penalty avoidance. if have two/three IRAs, split the holdings between them
Agreed on EPD. Hold quite a bit in the Investment Club and bought a little in my IRA. You also have to be very careful with MLP's even in IRA's. I don't get the details but you can end up with a big tax headache. I will have to look at ENB.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Agreed on EPD. Hold quite a bit in the Investment Club and bought a little in my IRA. You also have to be very careful with MLP's even in IRA's. I don't get the details but you can end up with a big tax headache. I will have to look at ENB.
the UBTI tax issue is for high rollers that own thousands of shares of MLP in one IRA account. if you want to go big, spread the shares over multiple IRA accts

edsl48

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Shares of United Parcel Service, Inc. UPS surged 14.4% after the company reported fourth second-quarter 2020 earnings of $2.13 per share surpassing the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.04. Investors Business Daily gives UPS a relative strength rating of 80 and an earnings rank of 78 which while not perfect a still respectable number considering the overall shop from home situation the virus has created and has a dividend yield of 2.84%.
i do not hold this stock.
DYOD

1596543056724.png

Attachments

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
BP cuts dividend in half. Is Chevron &/or Exxon next?
I hold BP; expected that. Even with the cut still not a bad dividend. I had hoped the dividend cut would have resulted in a larger price drop so I could add a bit...no such luck. Everyone must have expected that dividend cut...was probably already baked into the price.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
let me run this by you guys, tell me what you think

money market funds are paying basically zero percent. planned on 1.5 to 2.5 percent from those. a large chunk of my holdings sitting there for safety reasons

since that money is dead i'm thinking about shorting the stock market with an inverse etf/etn with those funds

i would do this to protect gains in capital appreciation, as the market has gone straight up and i'm sitting on dividend paying stocks that have appreciated markedly

this would limit gains/losses in cap app going forward

when money market funds start paying interest again, move the money back to the mm funds

thoughts?

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ladders CD's suck. Just renewed one at 0.85%. Buying metal as it seems safer than paper.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
let me run this by you guys, tell me what you think

money market funds are paying basically zero percent. planned on 1.5 to 2.5 percent from those. a large chunk of my holdings sitting there for safety reasons

since that money is dead i'm thinking about shorting the stock market with an inverse etf/etn with those funds

i would do this to protect gains in capital appreciation, as the market has gone straight up and i'm sitting on dividend paying stocks that have appreciated markedly

this would limit gains/losses in cap app going forward

when money market funds start paying interest again, move the money back to the mm funds

thoughts?
As of today I’m 100% in cash and on the sidelines waiting for a major haircut this fall so that tells you where I stand.

I know we’re in uncharted territory with the pandemic but maybe take a glance at the presidential election cycle theory before you make your decision.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I haven't been inclined to buy anything for a while, and the cash account has been getting a bit higher than normal. Fine with me. I'll wait for a big pullback. But I was looking around a week or so ago, and thought about adding some BAC when it was in the low 25.xx range. Thought I missed the chance, but put in a buy order late last week at $25.50 thinking it wouldn't hit. But hell if it didn't dip at the open yesterday. So I added a bit. Still not sure I needed to, but committed the sin of getting itchy to do something.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I haven't been inclined to buy anything for a while, and the cash account has been getting a bit higher than normal. Fine with me. I'll wait for a big pullback. But I was looking around a week or so ago, and thought about adding some BAC when it was in the low 25.xx range. Thought I missed the chance, but put in a buy order late last week at $25.50 thinking it wouldn't hit. But hell if it didn't dip at the open yesterday. So I added a bit. Still not sure I needed to, but committed the sin of getting itchy to do something.
it's on my watch list. 23.xx has tempted me, but scared of book cooking by the big banks. owning the frbny the best of backstops though

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Ladders CD's suck. Just renewed one at 0.85%. Buying metal as it seems safer than paper.
how many years did you have to go out to get that? fidelity mmarket is paying 0.0x

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
As of today I’m 100% in cash and on the sidelines waiting for a major haircut this fall so that tells you where I stand.

I know we’re in uncharted territory with the pandemic but maybe take a glance at the presidential election cycle theory before you make your decision.
still out, eh? one of my best friends is same. he's looking for correction and buying opp between now and election

i've built my little dividend machine, reluctant to unwind it, been selling the non divs or cut divs. going to look into the inverse etf's - to see if there's something reasonable out there with small tracking error and small expenses. hoping to offset the inevitable correction by half or more

Last edited:

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Shares of United Parcel Service, Inc. UPS surged 14.4% after the company reported fourth second-quarter 2020 earnings of $2.13 per share surpassing the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.04. Investors Business Daily gives UPS a relative strength rating of 80 and an earnings rank of 78 which while not perfect a still respectable number considering the overall shop from home situation the virus has created and has a dividend yield of 2.84%.
i do not hold this stock.
DYOD

View attachment 175226
i'm a proud owner at 87. never saw the surge coming. bought for the dividend. now what do?

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
how many years did you have to go out to get that? fidelity mmarket is paying 0.0x
12 months. TIAA Bank. Yield Pledge Money Market. Said to pay in the top 5% of all CD's. Not sure if they are still available. When they renew I can manipulate them by adding or taking away. Wanted to set up an interest sweep to put into other investments. Risk my growth not my money.

https://www.tiaabank.com/banking/money-market

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
i'm thinking about shorting the stock market with an inverse etf/etn with those funds
That's a little beyond my level, sorry I can't help you there.

I'm in XOM also. Trying to decide if I want more or to wait it out and see what happens.

Ugly - Your rate dropped to 0.75%. I can get 0.70% for 13 mo cd locally. It's the best I can find and that's just sad. There's nothing good 2-3 years out that I'd be willing to lock in for. I'd rather go buy something.

haven't found anything I want to buy at these prices (lol). Actually thinking of selling some of TXT. It's at a good spot and can't really see much from here without another war (or two). It's going to be hard to give up that 0.2% dividend though. Yes, that's zero point two %.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
took starter position in SH today -- inverse sp500 etf. money isnt earning anything in the money market - may as well provide a little protection

still want to buy more - but when? when the market is higher priced or lower?

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
With the recent beating of the stock market, is it time to go dividend shopping again? Maybe not as good as before but ....

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
With the recent beating of the stock market, is it time to go dividend shopping again? Maybe not as good as before but ....
on my watch list there were some better prices. seems like most of the damage was in the high flying tech stocks

i'm thinking of buying a little bit of chevron

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
on my watch list there were some better prices. seems like most of the damage was in the high flying tech stocks

i'm thinking of buying a little bit of chevron
Same thing on my watch list. Nothing really inspiring. Gonna hold tight. Might even wait until the election. If Biden happens to win, could push pharma and defense stocks down. Gonna be watching PFE (I already hold), GD, RTX if that happens...

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Same thing on my watch list. Nothing really inspiring. Gonna hold tight. Might even wait until the election. If Biden happens to win, could push pharma and defense stocks down. Gonna be watching PFE (I already hold), GD, RTX if that happens...
dims are warmongers, if history is any guide. maybe buy the dip if defense gets hit?

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
used bounce to increase position in SH -- inverse sp500 fund. two buys now at sp 3459 and 3419. end goal is 75 percent filled

also bought a half position of chevron at 80.x - looking to average down if/when it gets back into the 70's

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Thinking of ABBV (again). Didn't pick up before, but price has been coming down in the last few days making it more attractive (tempting).

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Thinking of ABBV (again). Didn't pick up before, but price has been coming down in the last few days making it more attractive (tempting).
their dividends taste good :)

my dope stocks -- abbv, gsk, pfe

Mujahideen

Bin Laden double.
Midas Member
Site Supporter
AT&T?

They can actually manage to keep that dividend, reinvest in the company and pay down debt or am I smoking hopium?

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Any thoughts on NILSY?
A dividend plus upside potential on a nickel breakout?

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
AT&T?

They can actually manage to keep that dividend, reinvest in the company and pay down debt or am I smoking hopium?
Their profit seems to be improving, but stock price in a long term down trend. Hmmm...

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
AT&T?

AT&T. The renamed Southwestern Bell...which grew by merger financed by leverage, including buying what was left of the original AT&T.

I don't have any financial analysis to offer...but they have a track record. That company, as it is, is GROW or DIE.

Grow the company and grow the debt.

You pays yer money and takes yer bets...