• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

dividend stocks

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
@EO

Similar but I think you have more companies than I do. I try not to make managing my full time job which is what I would do if I had more companies. I do try to keep the %age of any one issue from dominating the others. But it's difficult when you have some issues with high valuations e.g. amzn, googl, etc. It makes it more of a balancing act.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Went mostly into cash yesterday and today. Gut feeling to take the profits on this nice run up we’ve all had.
i agree, feels toppy. trying to resist trading and focus on the div income. it's tough

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
...and naturally the market is up huge today. lol. Oh well, I’ll be ready for the next downturn.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
...and naturally the market is up huge today. lol. Oh well, I’ll be ready for the next downturn.
crazy train has left the station. many stocks i follow are higher than before the crash

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Anyone get in on the "special" dividend from CMCM?
looked at it after you posted. that's a massive special div from a tiny little chinese outfit. crazy stuff....too hot for me to handle. maybe 20 years ago!

Last edited:

LarsonLarsen

Seeker
Seeker
Yeah I myself did not indulge, either. Very tempting but I'm still pretty raw and a little too risk averse. Rightfully so as I've taken a pounding the last two weeks.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Yeah I myself did not indulge, either. Very tempting but I'm still pretty raw and a little too risk averse. Rightfully so as I've taken a pounding the last two weeks.
never been a dividend investor until recently. spent decades betting on stuff to go up. i've fallen in love with the div game - wish i would have started when i was younger. going to try to brainwash my kids into doing what i didnt do. think it will serve them well

Last edited:

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
energy holocaust

MLPs -- many are paying ABSURD high distributions. most are yield chasing landmines

i have narrowed the field down to two superior picks (unless they are cooking the books.....the unseen risk)

done more than a fair amount of MLP research during this downturn - focusing on the best of the best. these two check all of the boxes

EPD - paying 10 percent at current price

ENB (c-corp, not mlp) - paying 7+ percent at current price

a third consideration is KMI

recommend holding these in tax advantaged accounts -- no K1 tax headaches

and limit share count to hundreds, not thousands PER ACCOUNT.....UBTI penalty avoidance. if have two/three IRAs, split the holdings between them

Last edited:

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Knowing what we know now, is buying for dividends different now?

I'm watching a few I missed earlier, but I'll be honest it's a balance between waiting for a lower price as the 6 mo moving averages are slowly moving lower vs not wanting to pass up the deal for fear of "is this really the bottom"?

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Knowing what we know now, is buying for dividends different now?

I'm watching a few I missed earlier, but I'll be honest it's a balance between waiting for a lower price as the 6 mo moving averages are slowly moving lower vs not wanting to pass up the deal for fear of "is this really the bottom"?
i look at it this way (for this div investing) -

a lot of sectors are being stress tested during this drama. if company is in a shitty sector and still cranking out numbers = good to go, div is on solid footing and if/when things normalize, even better

EPD and ENB are great examples -- shitty energy sector, but still covering divs with no problem

agree with you here -- tough to buy non-shitty sectors at these prices. i picked up a few shares of CF (fertilizer) and ENB recently, but not finding any deals

Last edited:

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Everyone expects a market takedown before November right? Remember noname saying the market was strong & within a month they destroyed it?
2008 S&P 500 -38.49%

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
energy holocaust

MLPs -- many are paying ABSURD high distributions. most are yield chasing landmines

i have narrowed the field down to two superior picks (unless they are cooking the books.....the unseen risk)

done more than a fair amount of MLP research during this downturn - focusing on the best of the best. these two check all of the boxes

EPD - paying 10 percent at current price

ENB (c-corp, not mlp) - paying 7+ percent at current price

a third consideration is KMI

recommend holding these in tax advantaged accounts -- no K1 tax headaches

and limit share count to hundreds, not thousands PER ACCOUNT.....UBTI penalty avoidance. if have two/three IRAs, split the holdings between them
Agreed on EPD. Hold quite a bit in the Investment Club and bought a little in my IRA. You also have to be very careful with MLP's even in IRA's. I don't get the details but you can end up with a big tax headache. I will have to look at ENB.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Agreed on EPD. Hold quite a bit in the Investment Club and bought a little in my IRA. You also have to be very careful with MLP's even in IRA's. I don't get the details but you can end up with a big tax headache. I will have to look at ENB.
the UBTI tax issue is for high rollers that own thousands of shares of MLP in one IRA account. if you want to go big, spread the shares over multiple IRA accts

edsl48

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Shares of United Parcel Service, Inc. UPS surged 14.4% after the company reported fourth second-quarter 2020 earnings of $2.13 per share surpassing the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.04. Investors Business Daily gives UPS a relative strength rating of 80 and an earnings rank of 78 which while not perfect a still respectable number considering the overall shop from home situation the virus has created and has a dividend yield of 2.84%.
i do not hold this stock.
DYOD

1596543056724.png

Attachments

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++