• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

dividend stocks

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Airbnb ipo’d today.

i've had a front row seat for that eventuality. i was one of the pioneers of the vacation rentals by owner in my area.

nyc vipers bought up all of the websites that i advertised on, combined them, jacked up their fees, demanded the customer pay them instead of me, etc. i saw the writing on the wall and bailed out. i know people that hung on and saw their profits eroded/eliminated

they killed off almost all of the competition in the market.

now the ipo and nyc vipers reap massive gains for destroying the free market

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
i've had a front row seat for that eventuality. i was one of the pioneers of the vacation rentals by owner in my area.

nyc vipers bought up all of the websites that i advertised on, combined them, jacked up their fees, demanded the customer pay them instead of me, etc. i saw the writing on the wall and bailed out. i know people that hung on and saw their profits eroded/eliminated

they killed off almost all of the competition in the market.

now the ipo and nyc vipers reap massive gains for destroying the free market
merica.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Sold most of my portfolio (too early) back in the fall but my big winners for the year from what I still own are X & BA. I’m up about 110% ytd in both.
I think I’ll take profits in X but will continue to hold BA.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
aso, academy sporting goods, posted blowout earnings yesterday. it's had a huge run since i touted the ipo on here ~two months ago

i expected the earnings - seems most ipo's have one or two good quarters in the bag when they go public

even with the run i think the p/e is about 9

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
AI can be cold hearted and just give you an answer for the data received. People will think it over an try to reason an answer while probably leaning towards being conservative (safe) whereas AI is data in data out.

I think that's what they are trying to say. One paragraph talks about how AI decided that the Airbus was able to fly 50,000 hr without maintenance. <-- sounds like a brag that normally they wouldn't have done that. Sounds mostly like CYA just in case a plane crashes while in the AI program. Trying to say "we're not putting profits in front of lives".

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
been toying with the idea of playing the dividend capture game. anyone else have experience with it?

thursday i bought a little bit of T to kick off my journey

some rules i'm starting with =

low volatility stock, low volatility sector

adding/subtracting to positions i consider long term holds

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
considering doing my own modified version of this

take two of my long term holds that are in same industry and add/subtract between them - depending on their price actions and their ex-div dates

example (not real world) =

sell some VZ, buy some T (when T div date is next on docket). then reverse that after T dividend. sell some T and add to VZ. goal would be to get out of the extra shares flatish - example --- buy extra T shares at 28, try to get out somewhere around that price, even willing to take small loss on share price if dividend more than covers the loss

thoughts?

https://finance.zacks.com/pair-trading-strategy-dividend-capture-11140.html

Long Only Dividend Pairs

In stock trading, a long position comes from buying shares to hold in your account. You can pairs trade for dividends by selecting two stocks with spaced out ex-dividend dates. The two companies should be in the same industry sector so that the share prices closely track each other. Work out a schedule so that by selling one and buying the other on the same day between the ex-dividend dates, you break the year into six 61-day holding periods, allowing you to collect six quarterly dividends during the year. If the yields on the two stocks are similar, you will increase your dividend income by 50 percent compared to a buy-and-hold strategy with one of the stocks.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
been toying with the idea of playing the dividend capture game. anyone else have experience with it?

thursday i bought a little bit of T to kick off my journey

some rules i'm starting with =

low volatility stock, low volatility sector

adding/subtracting to positions i consider long term holds
I've moved into GOLD for divs. and found a Jr.miner that is pouring it's first Au this month for possible expansion.
Plus a little stake in CEF just for physical gold and silver price increases.
DYODD

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I know nothing about that special dividend the first of last year.
Special Divs. I consider as One Offs. Great if you get one. (Whipped Cream on top of the sundae).
I just converted to all gold , silver in November from other equities NOT metals related.
DYODD,
Best of Luck

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not a dividend stock but just changed the M1 portfolio from 50% GOF and 50% PTY leveraged to my max, thus making about 12% on my money and being paid monthly to 50% ARKK and 50% ARKW.

They should do better than 12+% by the end of the year. And it’s the last trading day of the year so hopefully I can stick to my plan for a whole calendar year.

On my fidelity I’m just buying monthlies. Just came across a water utility GWRS that pays monthly and has increasing dividends. It will be that, BST, PTY/GOF and STAG and a tiny bit of O. Starting from zero, should be fun to watch it build into the year.

Last edited:

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Thinking about CIM, anyone looking at that, owned it years b ack

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
So here we are 2021. How'd everyone do?

I didn't make the killing I hoped for but did ok. Got some good dividend stocks I would not have even looked at had it not been for this thread. So thanks guys.

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you ever consider Newmont Mining? It is now paying a 2.67 yield and if the price of gold holds my guess is it will be paying higher than that. I hold some as part of my paper gold which is a bad sign because my stocks usually go down. However with the price of gold these days the big established miners are making profits and are increasing their dividends.
DYOD

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score

I didn't make the killing I hoped for but did ok. Got some good dividend stocks I would not have even looked at had it not been for this thread. So thanks guys.

the covid crash was a gift. luckily, leaning against the wind worked in my favor - i did a lot of div stock buying during the crash

lately been digging into reits. i'm underweight that sector. it's tough paying today's prices. havent pulled the trigger on anything

also developed a list of stocks to short term trade, related to dividend capture. made a little money on that, trading small to warm up to it

what are you looking at now?

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Do any of you ever consider Newmont Mining? It is now paying a 2.67 yield and if the price of gold holds my guess is it will be paying higher than that. I hold some as part of my paper gold which is a bad sign because my stocks usually go down. However with the price of gold these days the big established miners are making profits and are increasing their dividends.
DYOD

if i were a younger man i would take a hard look. the mining biz seems highly volatile. i'm shopping for boring div payers

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
DYOD
I like what you say. They only difference is I went with Barrick Mining ticker: GOLD.
I also went with a Jr miner, Pure Gold, up in the Red Lake District of Canada. They poured their first gold at the end of December.
I made money with Rob McEwen and Goldcorp in the same area early 2Ks. He is invested in Pure Gold as is Eric Sprott who bought CEF a few years back.
I own CEF shares also. I figure if two guys I have made money with in the past like the same place I like the odds of getting a winner long run is better than the mine being a bust. Especially since they are beginning gold production.
If interested Pure Gold ticker: LRTNF.

DYODD
Best Wishes to All,

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

Sitting on a larger than normal cash position going into the new year. Trying to be patient waiting for opportunities. I am in a couple of REITs, and was looking at one of them just a few days ago thinking that it might be a good place to put some of my excess cash. If I don't get a better opportunity on the stocks on my watchlist by March, I might be adding to the REIT...

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Been in the REIT game in the past. But WuFlu has affected retail bldgs AND housing especially when .gov did the moratorium on rent obligations.
At this point in time I am back to being a GOLD bug. I don't want to be a landlord at this time. I might look into some of my favorites after the WuFlu panic has died down. YMMV

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
I'm long PFE as well. They seem to have a lot in the pipeline. And now we get the spinoff stock for Viatris (VTRS). Trying to decide what I want to do with that. Kind of inclined to take a bit of a flyer and add some...I would think there is more upside than downside there.

Not much else screaming "buy" right now...
I'm long PFE as well. They seem to have a lot in the pipeline. And now we get the spinoff stock for Viatris (VTRS). Trying to decide what I want to do with that. Kind of inclined to take a bit of a flyer and add some...I would think there is more upside than downside there.

Not much else screaming "buy" right now...

did more digging on VTRS

read that it is now the biggest generic corp. expected to earn over 4+ dollars per share per year. stock sitting at 18ish. so a 4 p/e? that's crazy if true

nothing on the dividend - although expected to initiate one. mylan didnt have one before this merger. mylan was also making 4 dollars per share per year before merger. mylan stock been in long downtrend

i might add a little to my position if i can get some in the 17's. i like the sound of largest generic and the tiny p/e.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Picked up a little uvv today. Going x div on the 8th.
.77 a share yield 6%
Picked up a little uvv today. Going x div on the 8th.
.77 a share yield 6%

that baby has had a nice little run, i watch it. been eyeballing MO and PM, but nobody wants to give them away

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I bought some Diamondback Energy the other day (FANG) yielding about 3.2% on my purchase price. It is a small oil and gas outfit and despite the current cries and whines of the liberals oil and gas is going to be around for a very long time. The company has its risks though but in the past there are times when it soars with the eagles. I am pretty sure that anyone that follows oil and gas knows of Diamondback.
Along these lines I also hold EOG that was distributed to me after I lost my a** on some Enron stock years ago. EOG has made up pretty much for my losses and is often nicknamed as "The Apple of oil and gas" by various sources. Yielding 3.0% might make it a look but like all stocks there is always the element of risk and bear in mind my stocks have historically done quite well at going down so DYOD.

Last edited:

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Depending on who in inserted on the 20th & even think Europe Dr. Copper and related industries should be making a return as electrical grids will be built to support all the green crap.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Depending on who in inserted on the 20th & even think Europe Dr. Copper and related industries should be making a return as electrical grids will be built to support all the green crap.

globalist warming pair trade --- long copper, short glass/windows? i hear that windows are evil

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Windows are the ultimate in transparency. Unless they are tinted.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
They use one way windows to see everything like texts, calls, emails.... :secret:

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I certainly made the correct choice leaving dividends and going with ark. I didn’t stick with arkw and went arkg (and arkk) I’m up over 15% and it’s only been a few days.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I'm not a Cramer follower, but the other day he mentioned BGS as a dividend play. Currently at $27.35 sh / 6.9% div. Just throwing it out there for comment.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
I'm not a Cramer follower, but the other day he mentioned BGS as a dividend play. Currently at $27.35 sh / 6.9% div. Just throwing it out there for comment.

i dug into them before. i didnt recognize any of their brands. maybe it's a regional player? if i knew the brands i might own it.

i like the food sector - seems stable. i own several food related stocks. considering buying CAG - if i can catch a dip in the share price

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

I bought them about 9 months ago at $16 . Started following them at around $7.
Almost sold at $30 but didn't. Like the income so I picked up a few more shares recently.

Sold LYB yesterday for a nice 71% gain.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
I bought them about 9 months ago at $16 . Started following them at around $7.
Almost sold at $30 but didn't. Like the income so I picked up a few more shares recently.

Sold LYB yesterday for a nice 71% gain.

nice!

that's when i was shopping them too - when the market crashed. wish i would have followed you in

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I certainly made the correct choice leaving dividends and going with ark. I didn’t stick with arkw and went arkg (and arkk) I’m up over 15% and it’s only been a few days.
Ark funds sort of remind me of the action Janus funds had back in the day. Janus started offshoots like Global Life Sciences etc just as ARK is now. I have some ARKK and ARKG so I have faith in these new high flying stocks but, remembering my Janus days keep a close reign on them because when tech falls my experience has been they fall hard.
Reminiscing one of my uncles told me that the 1929 crash had a lot of tech in it. I was puzzled till he told me stocks like RCA that built radios were the high tech stocks back then...who would have thought of a radio as high tech and similarly automobile manufacturers. Tech has high rewards but keep an eye on it.
Meanwhile GO ARK!
lol
DYOD

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Ark funds sort of remind me of the action Janus funds had back in the day. Janus started offshoots like Global Life Sciences etc just as ARK is now. I have some ARKK and ARKG so I have faith in these new high flying stocks but, remembering my Janus days keep a close reign on them because when tech falls my experience has been they fall hard.
Reminiscing one of my uncles told me that the 1929 crash had a lot of tech in it. I was puzzled till he told me stocks like RCA that built radios were the high tech stocks back then...who would have thought of a radio as high tech and similarly automobile manufacturers. Tech has high rewards but keep an eye on it.
Meanwhile GO ARK!
lol
DYOD

ha ha - the good ole days. i was in janus worldwide. i remember janus 20 ripping back then too

janus got caught in corruption -- dirty stuff was going on