• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

dividend stocks

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
I wanted to post about this.....but.....I'm new to this stock stuff and didn't want to crap in the thread. It's an awesome thread.

Still learning the ropes I snagged this today

You received the following dividend or interest payment(s) on 01/07/2021.

Security: ***MAGAL SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD (MAGS)
Amount credited: $2,519.47

So, I ca count the hatched eggs. I guess that was an annual divided paid 1.08. Rest assured IF there is a stock market and stock to be had next year I will get another taste of that!

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
I wanted to post about this.....but.....I'm new to this stock stuff and didn't want to crap in the thread. It's an awesome thread.

Still learning the ropes I snagged this today

So, I ca count the hatched eggs. I guess that was an annual divided paid 1.08. Rest assured IF there is a stock market and stock to be had next year I will get another taste of that!

that's crazy. a 25 percent special dividend!

dont think i've ever seen that before

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I bought them about 9 months ago at $16 . Started following them at around $7.
Almost sold at $30 but didn't. Like the income so I picked up a few more shares recently.

Sold LYB yesterday for a nice 71% gain.
Ya don't go broke locking in profits!

I know a lot of people that always try to let a % of their "free shares" ride. I think they like it if they go down cuz they beat the system and they like it if they go up because they are still holding some.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Yes. The method was to sell half of your shares when the stock doubled. You get your money back and the shares you own are now "free".

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
You should look at SLVO it does that on monthly div

that's also crazy. looking at the 5 year chart --- it is a self-liquidating security?

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
WPC is looking interesting. large diverse reit with a 6+ percent yield. good credit rating, long div history, done well in the flu drama

reits as a class are lagging -- they say the threat of rising int rates are a cloud hanging over them

might not be a bad idea to lean against the wind --- betting that rates will stay low and picking up some reit shares as they come in

nowon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
that's also crazy. looking at the 5 year chart --- it is a self-liquidating security?

Here's some background...dyodd of course
Investment Strategy
The investment seeks a return linked to the performance of the Credit Suisse NASDAQ Silver FLOWSTM 106 Index. The index measures the return of a “covered call” strategy on the shares of the iShares® Silver Trust (the “SLV Shares”) by reflecting changes in the price of the SLV Shares and the notional option premiums received from the notional sale of monthly call options on the SLV Shares less notional transaction costs incurred in connection with the covered call strategy.
Screenshot_20210108-205121.png

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
for comparison to above:

5 year total return of slv etf is about 75 percent

2 year total return of slv etf is about 60 percent

slv tracks the price of silver -- and appears to be outperforming the slvo by a wide margin. am i missing something?

Last edited:

nowon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Here's SLVO dividend on a few recent months.. just watch out for SLV downdrafts (trailing stoploss or such)..GL
Screen_Shot_2020-11-05_at_10.44.32_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2020-12-06_at_11.44.28_PM.png

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score

LarsonLarsen

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So it would appear that my second foray into RYCEY is going to be a bit more of a medium-long play than I anticipated. No worries, though. Scooped another bit today to average down to $1.64. Still not where I'd like to be, but I've got no problem riding it out a bit.

Dumped the little AT&T I had and grabbed a dozen more shares of KO on a little bit of a recent dip. In at $50.30 today to bring the average down to $51.75.

Really don't know what my plan is for '21. But I feel comfortable letting a good portion of my portfolio sit in Coke.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I plan to dump my KO in the dear future. It's struggling too much. I had hoped for better by now. Also it's bringing down my overall dividend average with it's ~3.2% dividend. lol.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Lots of bad news hammering KO stock. Once the smoke clears KO should get a nice bounce back to $54-55.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Lots of bad news hammering KO stock. Once the smoke clears KO should get a nice bounce back to $54-55.

i read that the lockdowns - esp the restaurants, are getting them. i agree with your plan - the lockdowns cant last forever - and KO will show growth compared to their lockdown numbers

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
been testing my div capture game on a small scale - about 2 weeks worth of trading days

i've made 11 round trip trades, making profit on all of them

profit from 0.5 percent to 3 percent on the 11 trades

have yet to stay in any of them to actually qualify for the dividend - the prices have bounced up before the ex-date - which i sell

kicking myself for not going bigger - my position size for each trade during this trial is 3k-5k - and i hold only one stock at a time

if confidence allows i will increase my position size - and possibly start holding two or three stocks at a time

that's when the losing streak will kick in :)

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Don't get greedy. Be the turtle

great advice

pretty turtle at this point. only messing with stocks that i already own or want to own - big boring div payers

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
ALTM ALTUS MIDSTREAM CO COM NEW CL A

Next Earnings Date1/28/2021 Ex-Dividend Date2/25/2021 Dividend Payable Date 3/31/2021Dividend Yield/Amount12.46%/ 30.00

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
on altus --

that's a very interesting company i've never looked into. i'm going to have to do some digging on it.

the midstream/pipeline companies have had a big run over last month or two. i own a handful of them.

read that it is a c-corp, not mlp. before you buy, check into tax stuff re c-corps

edit -- small cap stock that trasnports apache's production from permian to gulf coast. high reward + high risk type play

edit -- read that c-corp shares are not a problem in an ira

Last edited:

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
on altus --

that's a very interesting company i've never looked into. i'm going to have to do some digging on it.

the midstream/pipeline companies have had a big run over last month or two. i own a handful of them.

read that it is a c-corp, not mlp. before you buy, check into tax stuff re c-corps

Not sure if they 1099 or k 1

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
$O down big today.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
sounds like 1099

Not sure if they 1099 or k 1

If your IRA is investing in the stock of a C Corporation, then UBIT is not a concern. The business income will be taxed at the corporation level and income to the IRA will be in the form of dividends, which are considered passive income.

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
sounds like 1099

If your IRA is investing in the stock of a C Corporation, then UBIT is not a concern. The business income will be taxed at the corporation level and income to the IRA will be in the form of dividends, which are considered passive income.
I Didn't know that. How about a LP ( limited partnership) Is that treated the same as a C corp?

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
I Didn't know that. How about a LP ( limited partnership) Is that treated the same as a C corp?

the LP, i has the k-1 extra tax paperwork if not in an ira. i hear turbotax and the like handle it easily.

in an ira, no hassle with k-1, just have to pay some kind of tax if you go over the UBI limit. avoid UBI by keeping LP holdings below 50k per account (so i read)

ie, if you want to hold more than 50k in mlp stocks, spread it around to different iras/401k's

does that answer your question?

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
the LP, i has the k-1 extra tax paperwork if not in an ira. i hear turbotax and the like handle it easily.

in an ira, no hassle with k-1, just have to pay some kind of tax if you go over the UBI limit. avoid UBI by keeping LP holdings below 50k per account (so i read)

ie, if you want to hold more than 50k in mlp stocks, spread it around to different iras/401k's

does that answer your question?

Yes it does. Thank you very much!

I have been avoiding mlps, lps because of the k1s. Im small potatoes so no chance of holding 50k in one stock

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Yes it does. Thank you very much!

I have been avoiding mlps, lps because of the k1s. Im small potatoes so no chance of holding 50k in one stock

i've dug into them from every direction.

i hold some in pretax ira and roth ira with no issues. fidelity (all brokers?) will let you know if you hit the UBI limit. so far, i have not, nor do i expect to

i especially like the big income in the roth. that eventually ends up in my wife's pocket tax free

large position in EPD - one of the best run/safest

small positions diverse -- KMI, MPLX, ENB, MMP, and a couple of busted preferred stocks from NS

Last edited:

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
drug company, gilead, GILD, is interesting. div is 4.3 percent at today's price.

stock price is 61 dollars and they are expected to earn over 6 dollars per share in 2021. yahoo says balance sheet has 25 billion in cash versus 29 billion in debt - so net debt of 4 bill.....if yahoo is accurate, that's a strong financial position

pharma loves to merge. i can see this one getting bought out

thoughts?

AuAgBrix

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't trust any non PM equity at this time in my life and what we've been told a "Reset" worldwide has started.
As I posted elsewhere here PMs Gold, Silver, Copper, Nickle,... all have held value for as long as 5k years of man's existence.
And there are miners that throw off Divs.
I am speaking miners with production NOT explorers. Explorers are not my cup of tea at this time, maybe sometime down the road.
DYODD,
Best of Luck to All

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
I don't trust any non PM equity at this time in my life and what we've been told a "Reset" worldwide has started.
As I posted elsewhere here PMs Gold, Silver, Copper, Nickle,... all have held value for as long as 5k years of man's existence.
And there are miners that throw off Divs.
I am speaking miners with production NOT explorers. Explorers are not my cup of tea at this time, maybe sometime down the road.
DYODD,
Best of Luck to All

i classify pm stocks same as the others. ie, the only real pm is phyz

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
I have found the same info regarding dividend payments.

Hard to do homework...not much to research except to go back and look at Upjohn and Mylan...

found this blurb tonight -- 5 p/e and 5 percent div?

bought some shares this week in the 16's - they bounced back to 17.x and i sold them

think i might pick up a few more, assuming the fool isn't full of sh-t. 5 p/e and 5 percent is ridiculous

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/01/14/3-great-dividend-stocks-that-are-simply-too-cheap/

here aren't many profitable stocks on the market that are less expensive than Viatris (NASDAQ:VTRS). Its shares trade at less than five times expected earnings. That's dirt cheap no matter how you look at it.

Technically, Viatris doesn't pay a dividend. So how did it make our list? The drugmaker has only been an official entity since November 2020 after the merger of Mylan with Pfizer's Upjohn unit. Viatris hasn't initiated a dividend program yet, but will soon. And the company expects that its dividend yield will be close to 5%.

What about growth? Don't look for Viatris' revenue to increase very much over the next four years or so. After then, though, the company's pipeline should fuel solid revenue growth. On the other hand, Viatris expects to deliver modest earnings growth right out of the gate as it achieves synergies from the merger of Mylan and Upjohn.

Viatris could be a somewhat boring stock. For investors seeking income, though, boredom is beautiful.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that too. Still unsure what to do with it. Like I mentioned before, I do think there is more upside than downside to VTRS. Not much opportunity cost to keeping it or adding to it, because I don't see anything else out there that is particularly compelling...

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t remember if I’ve said this already here or not.

I’ve done some research for a while, and this is what I have come up with for the best monthly paying securities.

STAG (warehouse/distribution center reit) 4.74%
UTG (utilities) 6.63%
BST (tech) 4.31%
PTY/GOF (mostly bonds and other financial instruments) 8.74%/11.9%

I can say as a truck driver stag is here to stay for the foreseeable future, I like it better than O, not that O is a terrible choice. Probably the same for UTG... and BST is in the tech sector and that’s a good place to be right now.

PTY/GOF have high dividends and a great history of not cutting them.

Anyone have anything to add as far as monthly? Preferably something that doesn’t go down in NAV over time and cut the dividend.

Edit: Thought I should mention GWRS, it’s a low yield but it does increase over time.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
stag looks pretty solid, although a young company. from what i gather they are all industrial properties - warehouses, etc. a lot of e-commerce exposure

it's on my short list of possible buys. might get a better price if we can get a little more rise in bond yields and/or inflation headlines

would really like to enter at 5% div yield

thanks for the insider info on stag vs o. that's better than some random article on motley fools or seeking alpha

why has ryder (r) exploded upward? it wasnt too long ago that we were talking about doom in the whole industry, ryder included

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Any decent dividend-paying stocks in the manufactured housing segment? It doesn't look like any of the big manufacturers pay a dividend currently; but I'd consider something closely related if anybody has any ideas.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Any decent dividend-paying stocks in the manufactured housing segment? It doesn't look like any of the big manufacturers pay a dividend currently; but I'd consider something closely related if anybody has any ideas.

my fave of that sector is thor - rv's and travel trailers. it's way to high to buy right now.

i think there is a REIT or two that own trailer parks

edit -- mh parks -- Equity LifeStyle Properties, Inc, Sun Communities, Inc., and UMH Properties

article -- https://seekingalpha.com/article/4372883-you-are-to-change-your-mind-on-manufactured-housing-parks

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
muj - you have experience/opinion on wp carey?