• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Do NOT forget the PLAIN Vanilla Long Riffle .22 Caliber

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Thank you, pure luck put me in it's path. I walked in and bought it right after it was sold, before Frank could even clean it. I have been offered $500 for it and I just laugh. Folks who have these don't sell them.

.:meditation:
Lucky bastard, that thing is super clean. And you stole it.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My favorite is a Remington 527 Field master. I own many, many 22's but this will eat anything I feed it and is smooth as silk.

View attachment 180400
My Dad bought me one when I was about 8 years old. It's beat to hell but is still in my gun safe.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I walked into the local bullet shop a few years ago and Frank had a nice clean Winchester 9422 on the rack. I managed to not freak out and calmly asked how much right now? $275 + tax.
The serial numbers put it made in the year 1973. It's a beauty, shoots like a dream and eats all 22 ammo from short to long rifle. I will be keeping this 22 for life. If things get bad enough I'll be poaching deer with it and nobody'll hear it.

Now I have a real fancy 22 that looks just like a HK MP5, matter of fact the manufacturer got sued by HK because it's such a close copy. But I haven't shot it since I got my 9422.

View attachment 180382 View attachment 180383 View attachment 180384
my hunting favs are the lever action 22s ....i have a old beater henry ....eats everything ....its a good gun to run CBs or shorts in for quiet varmit control...i think i gave $75-100 for mine used

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I love shooting my 10/22. Pretty easy to spend too much when you build them. But, this thing is a legitimate tack driver... EDIT: groups were shot at 50 yards, prone with bipod and rear bag. Lapua center X ammo.
View attachment 180362
View attachment 180364
View attachment 180366
SMOOTH!
Mine is similar. Black Bull barrel & plastic stocks similar scope - no shoulder cover - no bi-pods - BUT it is a TACK driver. Congratulations on yours I am jealous...

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
SMOOTH!
Mine is similar. Black Bull barrel & plastic stocks similar scope - no shoulder cover - no bi-pods - BUT it is a TACK driver. Congratulations on yours I am jealous...
Thanks HS, IMHO one of the downfalls of the 10/22 is the single action screw. The Victor Titan stock on my .22 had a clever solution with a rear anchor screw, that combined with the forward action screw anchors the rifle to the stock very well. I built this gun for competition, so you tend to spend on things that will buy you the smallest bit of increased accuracy. Glad you have a shooter as well!!

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

arminius

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
My favorite is a Remington 527 Field master.
I have Remington tube fed 22 (shoots Long Rifle, Long, and short) and Henry tube fed 22 mag pump rifles. Levers are cool, and drenched in western movie lore, but pumps are the next best thing to auto. I keep the trigger finger on fire, and just pump the slide and it fires like an auto, accurately, since you don't take your eye off the sights, or your finger off the trigger. Consider firing a lever you take your finger off the trigger to cycle the rifle, you cycle a pump with your off hand, and never take your finger off the trigger, much more accurate over time...

Last edited:

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Remington made the 572 sometime around 1956/57 or so. If you put a 572 next to a Remington 870 they look very similar (that's by design). Same lines and shape as the 870.

arminius

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
And the 870 is a shotgun...

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Since Irons has a pretty rifle that he stole in all wokeness and fairness he should share it with everybody in the board for one week each and smooth can start..........

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
back in a time where a dime was still worth something, so was character, there were actual societal skill levels that people worked themselves up to, like manners and courtesy...

:2 thumbs up:
Buck -- My intrusive memory for obscure trivia popped up as I was reading your post above... agreeing with every word.

Then I thought of Seneca {iirc}, who proclaimed "The new generation has no morals or character."

And actually busted out giggling.

(*snork*)

We is OFFICIALLY Old Farts!!

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
my hunting favs are the lever action 22s ....i have a old beater henry ....eats everything ....its a good gun to run CBs or shorts in for quiet varmit control...i think i gave $75-100 for mine used
I gotta a nice lil henry .22 as well. Fun gun to shoot; in fact its the only one my wife likes to shoot. stocked up on ammo years ago, forgot how much I had until recently.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
If you have a Ruger .22 you could easily add 5,000 rounds cheap. For many reasons - here is ONE

In the great Depression they banned ammo and in Kansas area one fellow had a case of .22 LR ammo he just bought on sale. He took one round for him, one for the wife, and two for the kids - to the old fashioned greasy spoon restaurant and they ate the sale special DINNER at the Diner every night for years and years.
The diner owner loved to shoot rabbits in the many empty acres behind the shop - and he could never able to buy even one box of .22 ammo.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/la-deputies-shot-compton-ambush-suspect-large

Compton L.A. County Deputy Sheriff's ambushed by yet another black.

Trump said, "HIT THOSE ANIMALS HARD!" Kamel-Kommie said "riot!" I can easily see any major big city nationwide curfew where if you are out at night past curfew - you will be labeled a felon and shot if you DARE move your hand when approached. I worked Compton in the 1970s as a deputy. It was a jungle then!

BTW - the really sad thing is that these riots and BLM attacks have set the Black people back almost 100 years. They have lost the respect of the Caucasians (includes all Latinos BTW) and the Yellow race (all Mongoloids and the Indians from greater India). They have lost future jobs just from fear of having them around.

Look at the Zerohedge article above = that will be terrible awful bad the way ANY Black will be treated in L.A. County - from now on. "Hit those ANIMALS HARD!"

The first Blacks I worked with were 1960s janitors in a Norwalk, CA, Lucky supermarket - both got drunk and shot one another over a card game. Before that: Funny thing was that Buck mixed Ammonia & Bleach in his bucket to clean the floors - he made a mixture of a gas and it knocked him out for a half hour. Do not mix your cleaning supplies - is the moral. We still have morals, right?

BTW I worked with Blacks all my life. At my wedding only the Black deputies and their wives came. My best partners were Black. Black trustees saved my bacon when I was in trouble because of the way I treated them. Just saying...
I can verify this story. A long ago neighbor who I was honored to know ( Earl Skelton- B24 pilot, highest decorated bomber pilot in the state of Texas) has told me similar stories about ammunition scarcity in those times, and trading ammo, ammo components for food. I do credit him with instilling in me to never let your hunting ammo supply to run dry. With us entering a commodities bull run, prices will rise and availability decrease.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I can verify this story. A long ago neighbor who I was honored to know ( Earl Skelton- B24 pilot, highest decorated bomber pilot in the state of Texas) has told me similar stories about ammunition scarcity in those times, and trading ammo, ammo components for food.
My kid just learned that lesson recently when playing the old "oregon trail" game during homeschool.

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
I will add my last trip to Walmart, I noticed the .177 cal. pellet shelf was cleaned out, none. Someone has been buying.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
One afternoon we came back with 4, from then on he would give us the whole box.
Ok, I'll bite... how'd you get 4 with 2?

We will be in the GREATEST DEPRESSION.
Looking at all the homeless in the country makes me think we're in the middle of the depression... with the 'greatest' yet to come....

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I gotta a nice lil henry .22 as well. Fun gun to shoot; in fact its the only one my wife likes to shoot. stocked up on ammo years ago, forgot how much I had until recently.
i've never fired / seen a Henry, they look like a nice weapon from all the photos i've seen

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Heck at those prices a guy could become a gunsmith and make their own!

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I haven't met a .22 I didn't want to shoot

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I have my grandfather's Remington model 33; single shot bolt action .22 LR. If you use .22 short rounds, it sounds like a BB gun. Basic blade sights...no scope. Shot my first bird with this rifle...in flight. (the images below are not my grandfather's rifle)

1600114016612.png

1600114089189.png

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I bought two of these from Army Surplus CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program)about 18 years ago for about $150 each. They are Remington 541-X, a military version of the Remington 541 target rifle. Supposedly they were used for initial sniper positional shooting training. Most stuff you buy CMP is used, often heavily so but both of these rifles were brand new.

They come with a bunch of front sight inserts and the adjustable rear shown. They're chambered LR but will shoot anything.

Remington 541X .22 Target Rifle
by Tom, on Flickr

plata_oro

Seeker
Seeker
Very BRIGHT. Water is the biggie. A BIG BERKEY or the like covers you for streams, lakes, and rivers. Or your plain city water supply. Meds too use over the counter at COSTCO.

I recommend:

www.beprepared.com

16 orders over last 6 years NEVER missed a beat & quick too if in stock. If not they follow up ship it to you...

https://beprepared.com/
Way better than Honeyville! My wife and son are gluten sensitive and my daughter is full blown celiac. Everything is out of stock on the Honeyville site. I'm stilling waiting on them to get some flour in stock.

It's very convenient that they stock the emergency kit. We have a couple that have gluten products we had purchased before the kids were born so needless to say, I have dibs on those. But now we can increase our food supply with gluten-free food!

:2 thumbs up:

FlaGman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I bought this nice 1960 Marlin 39A about 8 years ago, and I added a Skinner peep sight and the leather sling. I bought it from an online auction site (Armslist, I think?) so I can’t say I got a killer deal like Irons did on his Winchester, but I think I paid around $425 with shipping. I love shooting 22 shorts with it, super quiet and super fun!

13060122-8D39-4277-A9F5-7C55C91221A1.jpeg

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
So how does a Marlin 39A compare to a Winchester 9422? I think I would rather have the Marlin unless the Winchester was pre-1964. Both seem pretty scarce.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I exercised my Remington 581 this morning. Blue Grouse are found at 4500 feet and above.
Very smoky this week.
I used Leopold steel rings to mount the old ebay Leopold 3x9 VX2 and it makes a great field gun. I'm shooting CCI Green Tag .22 ammo because it groups well. I did a DIY trigger job as per Rimfire Central Forum.
modular and 581 012.JPG

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Mongo impressed!

Great rig, too.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The best .22 LR rifle I ever owned was a CZ 452 American. I could shoot 5/16" center to center groups with it.......then I did something really really stupid. I sold it.

:rage 1:rage 1

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Youins' that don't think the .22 is a killer need to practice your aim. With my little ol' Rossi pump .22, if the prey is within 75yds, I'll put a round either in the eye, through the mouth or in the ear, depending on the way the head is turned and all are clean kills. Even Kevlar a helmet and goggles leave a bit of an area for a target. Practice, practice, practice.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Youins' that don't think the .22 is a killer need to practice your aim. With my little ol' Rossi pump .22, if the prey is within 75yds, I'll put a round either in the eye, through the mouth or in the ear, depending on the way the head is turned and all are clean kills. Even Kevlar a helmet and goggles leave a bit of an area for a target. Practice, practice, practice.
In Pennsylvania they say “yinz.”

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling