• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Do you use additives in car oils, gas, etc.?

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I'm just curious how many here change their own oil, also do you add various oil or gas additives?

Here is a fun fact I learned about today:

"Sperm whale oil and its derivatives were used as additives in virtually all automotive lubricants. The products were so effective that vehicles’ fluids were generally never
changed, and systems like the transmission lasted the life of the car. Some 30 million pounds of sperm whale oil were used every year in lubricants alone. To supply the demand, hundreds of thousands of whales were harvested bringing that species to the brink of extinction.

"In 1972, the Endangered Species Act outlawed the killing of whales and the use of materials derived from those animals.

"For complex systems such as transmissions, these substitutes proved to be inadequate, leading to poor overall drive train performance, premature drive train failure and failure due to heat. For instance, automatic transmission failures went from less than a million units in 1972 to over eight million units a year by 1975, due to the loss of sperm whale oil additives. According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilder’s Association of Ventura, Calif., today, there are over 11 million automatic transmission failures per year (and nearly nine out of ten) are caused by the degradation of automatic transmission fluid due to heat. Heat promotes the oxidation of transmission fluid, and that compromises its performance and accelerates wear on the internal components of automatic transmissions. " https://www.lubegard.com/technology/

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm just curious how many here change their own oil, also do you add various oil or gas additives?

Here is a fun fact I learned about today:

"Sperm whale oil and its derivatives were used as additives in virtually all automotive lubricants. The products were so effective that vehicles’ fluids were generally never
changed, and systems like the transmission lasted the life of the car. Some 30 million pounds of sperm whale oil were used every year in lubricants alone. To supply the demand, hundreds of thousands of whales were harvested bringing that species to the brink of extinction.

"In 1972, the Endangered Species Act outlawed the killing of whales and the use of materials derived from those animals.

"For complex systems such as transmissions, these substitutes proved to be inadequate, leading to poor overall drive train performance, premature drive train failure and failure due to heat. For instance, automatic transmission failures went from less than a million units in 1972 to over eight million units a year by 1975, due to the loss of sperm whale oil additives. According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilder’s Association of Ventura, Calif., today, there are over 11 million automatic transmission failures per year (and nearly nine out of ten) are caused by the degradation of automatic transmission fluid due to heat. Heat promotes the oxidation of transmission fluid, and that compromises its performance and accelerates wear on the internal components of automatic transmissions. " https://www.lubegard.com/technology/
I just learned a few weeks ago about sperm whale oil being used in transmissions back in the day. When they outlawed using the SW oil, the transmissions had problems until the new lubricants got up to snuff.

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
I use PRI-G in my fuels, for fuel storage and every day use, two stroke, auto, and motorcycle.
Yes, there is a difference.
No additive to tranny, but changed the fluid at 180,000... now at 305,000... same tranny.
Changed the power steering at 285,000 and steering became power steering again !
PRI-G improves throttle response, starts, mileage by a touch, and combats ethanol extremely well.
Just stop using it for a tank and the difference is significant.

*** I should state, I bought the super magnet for the fuel tank of my first Triumph Daytona 955i.
That bike guzzled fuel with K&N filter and tuned for torque.
After 12,000 miles ? I bought the two metal tubes and dropped 'em in the tank.
Holy SH*T ! mileage jumped and smoother power delivery for the next 48,000 miles.
I was not a mpg measurer, just tank total and what a difference.
Have not put in my second 955i yet.
Y'know, older bike, older guy, not so throttle heavy and this is the anniversary 150HP version with single sided swingarm, 10mm bigger rotors, and stickers for speed. This not mine but identical.
Fuel metal in tank does same as PRI-G, breaks long compounds into smaller easier to burn ones, but no ethanol control.
Can not find name of product I put in tank.

Last edited:

phoneman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Used STP super [Black bottle] fuel injection cleaner for 19 years. Started with my Dodge Caravan, when it would start missing, after about a quarter of a tank missing stopped with the STP in the tank. I have never had the fuel injectors cleaned on any of my vehicles by any service providers. My Toyota [Corolla] lasted 15 years no problems. Gave it to a young lady in need. My Tacoma is a 2002 and still going strong. Air condition still blows cold with no repairs. That is my wife's rough road vehicle. My Tundra works find but, wife thinks it is too big for her to drive. Her shopping with the church ladies car is a Rav4. No problems so far.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I used Mobile 1 in all three holes on my scooter back in the day...

All the cars get Castro’s 5-30 all year round..

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My old neighbor used a horsepower booster additive, but now he's not so sure it was worth it...

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I use sea foam in my gas and I swear it works. Made me boat engine feel like she were new again. All the wifes yard equipment get it and they run longer than the neighbors. I put it in the oil and drive 300 miles to an oil change.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Sea Foam. Half the can in the crankcase with the oil about 50-100 miles before an oil change. The other half of the can in the gas. I have seen Sea Foam fix many engines that were running poorly. Also seen it fix stuck fuel pump floats.

In well worn engines I recommend substituting one quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer for a quart of oil.

skychief

enthusiastic stacker
Silver Miner
I used Mobile 1 in all three holes on my scooter back in the day...
Yes, I use Motul oil for the engine, primary chaincase & tranny in the Road King.

I found the bike runs a lot better without ethanol, so I built a rig to remove ethanol in 5 gallons of gasoline. I pour a half gallon of water in the fuel, shakey shake shake and the ethanol mixes with the water and sinks to the bottom of the jerry can.

I installed a tap at the base of the can. open the tap, drain the ethanol/water until gasoline starts coming out.

Ethanol-free gasoline! :2 thumbs up:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I had the opportunity to test some different oil additives on the dyno

Prolong was the only one of note, the rest are pisswater

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Nulon Teflon Engine Oil Additive... legend has it several tests where done after treatment, engine oil drained and car driven between 400 and 900 klm with no ill effect.

Worked well for me.

Their gear box additive also worked really well in my Alpha's years ago!

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Remember Slick 50?...

It had PTFE!...little tiny pieces of Teflon that they said bonded to the cars. Internal parts to reduce friction..

What a joke.

And then there was a time when everyone was pouring a quart of Rislone either in the gas tank or down the carb while vehicle was running, blow out the cobs...

A long time ago I got to help a mechanic for several years on and off and assisted in the overhaul of a few car engines...

The cleanest engine I saw was using Castrol and the dirtiest motors were ones using Pennzoil...

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I use PRI-D for stored diesel and a 1/2 pint of 2 cycle oil in my diesel truck when I fill up. I do all my own oil changes with full synthetic.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
A lot of good info. I use additives for my diesel engines (FFPF) & boat engines (Marvel Mystery Oil), but not in my car. I have done my own oil changes from the days of recycled oil. The one rule I was taught was to NOT put used oil thru a new filter AND not to put new oil thru a used filter. New oil & new filter only.
My cars get their oil/filter changes at 5K miles, diesel truck at 7.5K miles & boat engines at 100 hours.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The only additive that I ever use is Star-Tron, an enzyme based fixative for cleaning carburetors and gas systems for problems brought on by moisture in ethanol based fuel. Oh... and the 25% used/waste oil that I add to my pre-garbage diesel engine fuel.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The only additive that I ever use is Star-Tron, an enzyme based fixative for cleaning carburetors and gas systems for problems brought on by moisture in ethanol based fuel. Oh... and the 25% used/waste oil that I add to my pre-garbage diesel engine fuel.
D-FENZ, you caught the old fart in a senior moment. I said that I did not put additives in my gas engines, BUT I do, I too use Star-Tron, good stuff.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I use Seafoam in the car fuel and lawnmower. I change my car oil every month and use cheapo Walmart full synthetic @ $16 for 5 quarts. I usually get rid of cars every 2 years after 125k miles.

Mazda CX-5 was the best car I ever owned. After 125k miles in 2 years only changed the oil (6-7k), air & cabin filters (25k), wiper blades (75k) and tires (55k). Everything else from brakes to battery were original. Never touched the trans or any other component.