• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Earth’s Relentless Warming Sets a Brutal New Record in 2017

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Earth’s Relentless Warming Sets a Brutal New Record in 2017
By Tom Randall and Blacki Migliozzi
January 18, 2018

The burn continues. What follows are 138 years of scientific records tracing the human transformation of Earth’s climate. The bold pink line up top represents 2017, the third-hottest on record. The only years to exceed it—2015 and 2016—occurred amid a powerful El Nino weather pattern that ripped heat from the Pacific Ocean into the atmosphere. In the absence of El Nino, the swelter of 2017 was unprecedented.

(go to the link for a interactive yearly chart)

Record Years
All Years
See it again

April
+0.54°F
JanFebMarAprMayJuneJulyAugSeptOctNovDec-1˚F+1˚F+2˚F
20th Century Average
New Record
0.52˚F
New Record
188020170.67˚F1987

Last year was 1.51 degrees Fahrenheit (0.84 Celsius) warmer than the 20th century average, according to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration figures released on Thursday. That may not sound like much, but on a planetary scale it’s a profound shift that has decimated coral reefs, thawed polar ice at a devastating rate and raised global sea levels.

“We’re warming up pretty much at the rate we anticipated a decade ago,” said Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies. “Basically, all of the warming of the past 60 years is attributable to human activities.”

An astounding number of climate records have been broken in recent years. New annual records were set in 2014, 2015 and 2016. The monster El Nino spanning that period added a fraction of a degree Celcius to the temperature extremes, according to NASA, and triggered the longest consecutive stretch of record-breaking monthly temperatures in the modern age.

In 2017, El Nino flipped to a cooling weather pattern known as La Nina. In more stable climatological times, one might have expected an average year for the surface of Earth. But these are not stable times.

Climate scientists don’t place much weight on a single record-hot month, or even a single record-hot year. What sets off alarms is the rapid accumulation of warming that’s been building over decades. Seventeen of the 18 hottest years have come to pass in the 21st century, and temperatures are rising 10 times faster than during the bounce back from the last ice age.

Results from the world’s top climate-monitoring agencies vary slightly—NASA had 2017 as the second-hottest year on record—but data compiled by NASA, NOAA, the Japan Meteorological Agency and the U.K.’s Met Office all agree: 2017 was one of the hottest years experienced by any creature currently living on this planet. The heat was felt differently around the world, but most regions were unusually warm to downright scorching for much of the year.

Image Source: NOAA

As climate change continues apace, unusual weather is expected to grow more frequent and destructive. In 2017, extreme floods, fires, droughts and hurricanes in the U.S. caused more than $306 billion in damages. That’s a whopping 43 percent higher than the previous record for climate disasters, set in 2005. Hurricane Harvey dropped as much as 60 inches of rain in Texas, and more than three months following Hurricane Maria, some 40 percent of Puerto Rico is still without power. These are the sort of events one should expect in a warming world.

Amid the scorching heat and weather disasters of 2017, President Donald Trump pulled out of the Paris climate accord and downplayed global warming as a security threat. His administration took steps to repeal the Obama-era Clean Power Plan, and his Environmental Protection Agency advanced a scheme—ultimately rejected by regulators—to subsidize coal.

Efforts to curb greenhouse gases were seen elsewhere. In India, the growth of renewables is on track to soon outpace fossil fuels for the first time. China is leading the world’s conversion to electric cars. Solar and wind power are poised to become the cheapest forms of new electricity across large swaths of the globe. These shifts are yet insufficient to fend off the catastrophic climate change that will be experienced by children alive today, according to analysis by Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

Climate change used to occur over millennia. Now it’s happening over decades. Next year will be “almost certainly a top-five year, and quite possibly a top-two year” for heat, said NASA’s Schmidt. There will be ebbs and flows for the surface of Earth, but the direction we're headed is clear.

Source: GHCN-M & ICOADS Data Sets Provided by NOAA

(video at link for science behind cchange)

Editor: David Rovella

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/hottest-year-on-record/

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Stop eating sandwiches you heartless bastards!
Is the humble sandwich a climate change culprit?
https://newatlas.com/sandwiches-global-warming/53128/
Scientists at the University of Manchester have found a surprising global warming culprit – sandwiches. In the first study of its kind, the researchers carried out an in-depth audit of various sandwiches throughout their life cycles
"the first study if it's kind"
Groundbreaking stuff. Thank God higher education is leading the way.

Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I've sworn off bread. Grains and carbs, ya know. F you guys and yer earth scorching sammiches!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
What follows are 138 years of scientific records tracing the human transformation of Earth’s climate.
Ya lost me right there. 99 out of 100 humans cannot even transform themselves off the couch or keep themselves from transforming bags of chips into their faces.

Leftists and liberals just cannot accept the fact that they are puny little insignificant organisms who will soon die and be completely forgotten.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Leftists and liberals just cannot accept the fact that they are puny little insignificant organisms who will soon die and be completely forgotten.
that right there,

they actually believe in hope and change, emphasis on hope

all the while completely robbing those very people and asking us what went wrong claiming innocence,

just fighting for the little guy, send more dough, just fighting for the workin' man

the real problem being they actually believe the tripe they spew

there is no coming back from that without a lobotomy for all,

FoundingFathers

Founder
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter ++
that right there,

they actually believe in hope and change, emphasis on hope

all the while completely robbing those very people and asking us what went wrong claiming innocence,

just fighting for the little guy, send more dough, just fighting for the workin' man

the real problem being they actually believe the tripe they spew

there is no coming back from that without a lobotomy for all,
Some believe the tripe. Others are just psychopaths.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Well, I read about this warming going on so I went and threw a hotdog in the snow...hoping it will be done by lunchtime but I just checked it and it was frozen stiff! Someone's a liar...

You can change the name for "hotdog" to "colddog" or something.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Flip flopping liars that wouldn't know climate change, if it bit them in the ass !!
The earth's climate cycles !! Get over it !!
During the 1970s the media promoted global cooling alarmism with dire threats of a new ice age. Extreme weather events were hyped as signs of the coming apocalypse and man-made pollution was blamed as the cause. Environmental extremists called for everything from outlawing the internal combustion engine to communist style population controls.

e.g. "Pollution Prospect A Chilling One" (The Argus-Press, January 26, 1970)

"We will be forced to sacrifice democracy by the laws that will protect us from further pollution." - Dr. Arnold Reitze, 1970

The Argus-Press, January 26, 1970

http://www.populartechnology.net/2013/02/the-1970s-global-cooling-alarmism.html

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Here is one of the papers that describes a link between solar activity, cosmic rays, ozone creation/depletion, and current climate:
https://www.sott.net/article/371049...ed-by-the-level-of-solar-activity-cosmic-rays
"In this paper we show that bi-decadal variability of solar magnetic field, modulating the intensity of galactic cosmic ray (GCR) at the outer boundary of heliosphere, could be easily tracked down to the Earth's surface. The mediator of this influence is the lower stratospheric ozone, while the mechanism of signal translation consists of: (i) GCR impact on the lower stratospheric ozone balance; (ii) modulation of temperature and humidity near the tropopause by the ozone variations; (iii) increase or decrease of the greenhouse effect, depending on the sign of the humidity changes.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I've posted the charts from the last 800,000 years before. When CO2 spikes thats when we need to worry. In the past when it spiked it was followed by a sudden drop in global temps.

The charts showed that temps rise, followed by CO2, followed by a drastic reduction in temps. Been happening since before Humans.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
http://cdiac.ess-dive.lbl.gov/images/air_bubbles_historical.jpg

Here's a record of CO2 from ice core samples going back 800,000 years. You can do a quick search for the temp and co2 charts on the net and it will confirm what I said in the last post.

The point of this post is that we have cycles on a larger scale than we have imagined.
We have precession which is about a 26,00 year cycle roughly.
IIRC about 26000 years ago was the start of the last glaciation that started the last ice age where the north american content was under 2 miles of ice in some places. mainly up in Canada. However, 26,000 years ago canada was pretty much as it is today.
Then about 1/2 a cycle ago the glaciation began to end. Latest theories are that it was a cosmic event that started the melting. A meteor impact or impacts are really the only thing that allows for enough energy to cause the melting in such a short period of time.

If we take 4 of these cycles that would be roughly 108,000 years ago and similar intervals.. Looking at the CO2 charts here we can see spikes at roughly every 100,000 years or so. If you pull up temp charts you will see the same thing.
A rise in temps, followed by a rise in CO2, followed by a dramatic drop in temps, followed by a dramatic drop in CO2.

To me this says 2 things and I'm no climate scientist so I am jumping to conclusions with an uneducated eye.
1, these swings in temp and CO2 are not man made.
2) we are due for another major swing in climate.

By "Due" I mean, it could come tomorrow or it could come in the next 1000 years. I'd say the odds are closer to less than 500 years

There is that famous wooly mammoth that was basically freeze dried in less than 12 hrs with its stomach contents intact.. One minute he is grazing on the siberian plains and the next he is freeze dried mammoth meat. Its estimated that a drop in temps of at least 120 degrees was needed too cause this.

Just food for thought.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Precession, obliquity and eccentricity are currently having a negative influence on insolation - the total amount of solar energy entering the earth. Solar radiation (sunspots) is also dropping. None of these factors is causing our current warming, and in fact should be having a cooling effect.

We are undergoing rapid warming, the natural cycles have been overwhelmed by greenhouse effect. Multiple lines of evidence support this conclusion.

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Whatever melting is happening, could it be from the bottom up, not the top down? How many "expert climate models" take this into consideration? Just askin', but I'd guess not many.

And all you True Believers, don't jump to premature conclusions because this is found on Breitbart. It is a UPI byline.

Heat loss from Earth’s interior responsible for sliding ice sheets

http://www.breitbart.com/news/heat-loss-form-earths-interior-responsible-for-sliding-ice-sheets/

Jan. 22 (UPI) — New research suggests the dissipation of heat from Earth’s interior is responsible for the acceleration of the seaward slide of Greenland’s ice sheets.

The descent of of Greenland’s shrinking glaciers is well documented, but the latest research — published this week in the journal Scientific Reports — is the first to link the ice loss with escaped heat from Earth’s interior.

The research was made possible by a decade-long survey of Greenland’s Young Sound fjord. For ten years, scientists with the Arctic Research Centre, Aarhus University and the Greenland Institute of Natural Resources measured temperatures and salinity levels in the fjord. Their survey showed deep-lying water in the fjord, between 650 and 1,100 feet deep, has gradually warmed over the last decade.

Further analysis showed a significant amount of heat is emanating from Earth’s interior, slowly warming the fjord’s water. Scientists estimated 100 megawatts per square meter of energy was transferred from the Earth’s interior to the fjord.

The findings suggest similar amounts of heat were transferred to the bottoms of surrounding glaciers. This newly detailed warming mechanism creates lubrication, accelerating glacial descent.

“It is a combination of higher temperatures in the air and the sea, precipitation from above, local dynamics of the ice sheet and heat loss from the Earth’s interior that determines the mass loss from the Greenland ice sheet,” researcher Soren Rysgaard said in a news release. “There is no doubt that the heat from the Earth’s interior affects the movement of the ice, and we expect that a similar heat seepage takes place below a major part of the ice cap in the north-eastern corner of Greenland.”

Measuring heat flux beneath glaciers is difficult, but scientists hope their latest findings will lead to more accurate modeling of the warming mechanism. With more accurate measurements of heat flux, scientists can more accurately predict the fate of Greenland’s ice sheets.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The same thing is happening in antarctica. certainly worth taking into consideration but they are also localized incidents and not on overall picture of the climate. The overall picture of the climate for the last 10,000 years is a cooling trend.

In my mind, when you have a rock floating through space that has a temp of 100 below 0 or whatever it is, we need all the help we can get to keep the temperature up.

The last 10k years on this rock has been the most stable in the history of humans and we are definitely cooler now than 10,000 years ago. Go back further and you can see some mega changes in temps that happened at a very rapid pace.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Here's a record of CO2 from ice core samples going back 800,000 years.
I have always questioned "their" ability &/or accuracy in these claims that go that far back.

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have always questioned "their" ability &/or accuracy in these claims that go that far back.
If a penguin or a skunk or a whatever had crapped anywhere near that ice core 800,000 years ago, all of the readings would be way off.

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I've sworn off bread. Grains and carbs, ya know. F you guys and yer earth scorching sammiches!
I make sammiches with lettuce leafs. :2 thumbs up: :finished 2: I do "Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger..." too w/ Pepsi no Coke ( Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi w/ sucralose) Ah,Ah,AH......(burb).

FWIW - When the kids were little they called sodas/pops "Burp Pop". And never failed to confirm their definition.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I make sammiches with lettuce leafs. :2 thumbs up: :finished 2: I do "Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger..." too w/ Pepsi no Coke ( Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi w/ sucralose) Ah,Ah,AH......(burb).

FWIW - When the kids were little they called sodas/pops "Burp Pop". And never failed to confirm their definition.
That does sound good. I don't really like all that bread, anyway. It dilutes the flavors and just adds unnecessary calories.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
BoT - Just remember world .gov and big (Greenie) business fork out 13.5 million dollars a year for AGW supporters to beat us over the head with their rhetoric .

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
That does sound good. I don't really like all that bread, anyway. It dilutes the flavors and just adds unnecessary calories.
Ok for me life without bread & butter....... just not worth living.
These are the best way to envelope your food, absolutely delicious!
Not because they are good for you... but because they are the best tasting.
Bring on those higher temps!

upload_2018-1-26_16-1-38.jpeg

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Ok for me life without bread & butter....... just not worth living.
These are the best way to envelope your food, absolutely delicious!
Not because they are good for you... but because they are the best tasting.
Bring on those higher temps!

View attachment 97729
I never got a taste for potato bread or potato rolls. You only live once, or twice, if you're Mr. Bond, so you have to decide what is important to you. I do love potatoes, though. Home fries, especially, with lots of onion.

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I never got a taste for potato bread or potato rolls. You only live once, or twice, if you're Mr. Bond, so you have to decide what is important to you. I do love potatoes, though. Home fries, especially, with lots of onion.
Dude don't temp me with home fries! I used to eat a whole iron skillet of my mom's. Serious goodness.