• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Eating Deer Corn?

Hi, novice prepper here with probably a dumb question:

I did a quick internet search for dried corn and it seems at first glance like this is a little expensive. However, I noticed I can get 40# of deer corn for about the price as 1-2# of the stuff meant for human consumption.

If SHTF, is the deer corn ok to eat, or is there something different about it?

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It just has had vermin crawling on it and not been "rinsed and cleaned" is my undertanding. If you are ok with rats and mice having had access to your corn, then it you should probably be ok. As for me??? I'd probably pass.

Espada

Seeker
Seeker
That's an interesting idea... why not "rinse and clean" the corn ? I do that with dried beans for the same reason. Thanks for the idea... I'm going to try it.

goldie40

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Hi, novice prepper here with probably a dumb question:

I did a quick internet search for dried corn and it seems at first glance like this is a little expensive. However, I noticed I can get 40# of deer corn for about the price as 1-2# of the stuff meant for human consumption.

If SHTF, is the deer corn ok to eat, or is there something different about it?
In a SHTF situation, it's also ok to eat the vermin that have been eating and crawling around on the corn, but for now if a place sells corn that is labeled for deer, they must sell plain yellow dent corn, we grind the same corn that is stored in the corn crib that we crack for the chickens and throw to the hogs, not sure what has been in or on it. but to grind it, the corn has to be be dry, give the corn the smell test to see if it smells musty or moldy.

justtom

My local Tractor Supply sells animal feed corn that is marked as double cleaned and aflatoxin tested. Aflatoxin is a mold that is linked to cancer. I remember reading that animal feed is aflatoxin tested to keep toxins out of the meat that we eat. In my area a 50 pound bag of feed corn is 10 dollars. Would feed corn be a better choice than deer corn, given the cleaning and aflatoxin testing? The local Tractor Supply sells whole feed corn and cracked corn for chicken feed. I would get the whole corn as it should keep longer.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
If and when the SHTF in the food supply, wont much matter if it's cleaned or not, you would be eating to live, not live to eat like we do today.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
If and when the SHTF in the food supply, wont much matter if it's cleaned or not, you would be eating to live, not live to eat like we do today.
I can see your point and agree in large part. But personally, I and just not a huge corn fan. I know it is in damn near everything thanks to the Dept of Ag policies and give aways, but I find that I do better if I can avoid it. With that in mind, I just gots to thinks their are better options other then bulk corn to focus on as a staple.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
You can eat deer corn/feed corn.

It is extremely cheap compared to supermarket "dollar-an-ear".

Feed corn has been cleaned. That said, it is gonna have pieces of cob occasionally, maybe a few grains of sand and such. Both of which mean less than nothing at all if the corn is used as an emergency food supply.

For the truly picky eaters (Rusty ;) ), you can boil this corn until it is a mush, and make tacos/tortillas. Add oil and salt and you have nachos.

My emergency supplies include two hundred pounds of feed corn stored in a sealed, indoor bin.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

After talking this over with my brother in law, he went out and got a 40# bag of deer corn. I haven't seen it (he lives in a different city) but he said it was in pretty good shape. Not a lot of dust, no "signs" of vermin having gotten to it. He soaked some in water and apparently it puffed up to look like regular corn.

He hasn't eaten any yet, and I'm afraid he might be waiting to serve it to some hapless guests first (probably myself).

Thornapple

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Anything dried like that should be rinsed off really well anyway. A lot of dried goods are just left on the ground to dry. If you're lucky they'll put a sheet under it first, but it depends on the country. Its not unusual to get dust and some times pebbles in dry goods like that. Just watch rice farmers dump rice directly on the ground and rake it back and forth over time to dry it, and that is what goes in the bag.

Here's a pic, notice they walk on it too. So don't think the food you get, particularly if its imported beans or rice is pristine in the least. Thats why you cook it. :D

If I had more storage space I'd get several large bags of corn and oats from a feed store. But storage is the problem for me.

CrufflerJJ

Seeker
Seeker
My local Tractor Supply sells animal feed corn that is marked as double cleaned and aflatoxin tested. Aflatoxin is a mold that is linked to cancer. I remember reading that animal feed is aflatoxin tested to keep toxins out of the meat that we eat. In my area a 50 pound bag of feed corn is 10 dollars. Would feed corn be a better choice than deer corn, given the cleaning and aflatoxin testing? The local Tractor Supply sells whole feed corn and cracked corn for chicken feed. I would get the whole corn as it should keep longer.
The Tractor Supply corn is pretty good. No obvious buggies, even after the bag has been at room temp in the original bag for 6-12 months. Yes, there is some "trash" mixed in with the corn, but all I've noted is some chunks of corn cob and corn stalk. These are easily picked out from the corn before you grind it.