• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

eBay heads ups, sales, deals and offers

Nice coin. Don't forget, raw $20 circulated coins offer fondle factor at a budget.
I'm just worried about fakes, they even have slapped fakes now, it's insane what the Chinese can do

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
IMO the slab counterfeiting is getting so good you almost want your stuff raw so potential buyers can put it thru the usual tests before buying.

So what are the best non destruction ways to test pre 33 gold? Wasn't there a Fisher device years ago that tested weight and size on the fly?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
if i was buying at todays prices id dam sure own a Sigma or suitable subsitute

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Low end version:

High end one: Amazing machine,

I love mixing Numismatics with Pre-33 gold. It's the best of both worlds. I just got my first St. Gaudens a few weeks ago. It's Mint state probably 62 not much of a premium but still great to have.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
One thing I like about the pre-33s is that they generally qualify for Ebay bucks meaning that the common dated circulated and or cleaned issues can be bought pretty close to melt. They don't need babied, they can be held in your hand, they are a piece of history and they escaped FDR's tyranny. I also think that they in general meet the "commonly known" test meaning should TSHTF people will find them recognizable.
Recognition, to me, is an important concept should everything fall apart. Because of that I prefer Mercury dimes and Liberty walkers in my scrap silver pile because they would not pose any possibility of nonrecognition like other coins that have been issued with alloy like the Washington quarter. Most likely I will never see a SHTF situation but one never knows...just think what if Trump would have stood his ground and there would have been no EBT/food stamps next month...

Heck yeah! A good PM dealer should have one in shop.
Went to my local coin shop and they have the sigma, said I could bring in my personal coins to test!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Went to my local coin shop and they have the sigma, said I could bring in my personal coins to test!
Make sure to buy something to show appreciation and gratitude.

Make sure to buy something to show appreciation and gratitude.
Yeah I'm getting some Gaudens, I wouldn't have even asked if I weren't buying something

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sweet! Much cheaper than I thought.
Yeah I saved an eBay search for that under$650 looks like that was the cheapest one sold on there in a while

If anyone in the Chicago sw burbs wants to check anything I'll let you use it for free.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Am I allowed to ask on here about whether a particular eBay Coin Seller is reputable or not?

Thanks. I'll delete this message if not.
Welcome! We're always happy to see new members. I don't think there's any rule against asking something like that. There are a few folks here who may have a bit of experience buying bullion/coins and perhaps they may be able to provide you some first hand advice.
What seller would you be asking about?

Disclaimer: I'm not a site mod (as a matter of fact, the mods throw darts at my picture at lunchtime and hope I'll go away....of course I never will) so take what I say with a grain of salt

iDShaDoW

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words.

The seller I was curious about is njicoins (apparently based out of Texas). Was considering some Australian Lunar Proof Gold Coins that are slabbed - just wanted a couple to match the year in which my my nephew was born and for another niece/nephew that's on the way in 2019.

Beyond that, I currently just have a small stack of silver and would like to get into fractional gold. I tend to lurk and read/learn passively but figured I'd get involved a bit more. :p

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I don't have any personal experience with njicoins but I did take a look at their feedback rating. Pretty impressive. Perhaps others here have used this vendor and can share their experience. If they had something I wanted at the right price I would buy from them.

njicoins ( 2943
)

Top Rated: Seller with highest buyer ratings

Positive Feedback (last 12 months): 100%

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
iDShaDoW,

Ebay is for buyers, they have the most protection and strongly favored by company.
Purchase made with Paypal Credit is another layer of protection, or your credit card depending upon US state.
Do not use debit or Paypal balance, as that is your currency.
I would look for least costly slabbed coin, not China, and be certain that difference would cover return shipping if not acceptable.
If willing to risk, and difference worth it, vid your opening of package on counter of USPS, or table for presentable records.
Bought from nj years ago no problem, but years change people and businesses like Smeagol.

Welcome to GIM2 lurker, you are not allowed to do anything we here have not done yet.... yet.

iDShaDoW

Thanks. I was looking at a slabbed Australian Lunar Proof Gold coin - debating between 1/10 and 1/4 oz and I've read stories about how they're getting good with counterfeiting the slabs themselves.

I wouldn't really have a way of confirming if it's real or fake myself as I'm not experienced and don't have a relationship yet with any local coin dealers. Even then, they wouldn't be able to test through the slab right? It would have to be a visual inspection?

Are counterfeiters even trying to fake fractionals vs larger coins? Sorry I'm kind of veering off the "eBay Deals" topic (let me know if I need to ask this in another section).

iDShaDoW

Same here sadly. I always get them too and the first time I'm looking into starting a small collection of gold fractionals I don't get it...

stas3000

Silver Miner
Seeker
Same here sadly. I always get them too and the first time I'm looking into starting a small collection of gold fractionals I don't get it...
You never know with eBay but you'll likely get invited next time. (These promos run several times a month if last year is an indication.)

Another "fix" is to create multiple eBay accounts. Sometimes you're invited on all but occasionally only one may get the invitation for the 8%/10% deals.

One last thing to keep in mind that if your targeted coins are listed outside of categories that earn eBay Bucks... then a promo like this is no good. So whatever is listed under Coins/Bullion category doesn't earn any eBay Bucks no matter what promo is out there. The 10% off and 15% off didn't work for Bullion category in the past either as far as I recall.

iDShaDoW

Yeah, I had seen mention of the category being an issue.

I was going to see if my brother's account had the promo - is there an easy way to filter for only the coins that are eligible besides just sifting through tons of stuff looking for the eBay Bucks logo?

I'm not hopeful that I could contact a seller and have them change the category; especially with the eBay promos tending to be a 1-day type deal.

stas3000

Silver Miner
Seeker
Yeah, I had seen mention of the category being an issue.

I was going to see if my brother's account had the promo - is there an easy way to filter for only the coins that are eligible besides just sifting through tons of stuff looking for the eBay Bucks logo?

I'm not hopeful that I could contact a seller and have them change the category; especially with the eBay promos tending to be a 1-day type deal.
Not sure if there is a quick way. Major categories are Coin/US, Coins/Canada and Coins/World. That's where most of the coins are listed (at least for my tastes). All of those you can earn eBay Bucks with and, naturally, promos work there too. But if you are looking for "bullion" coins like American Silver/Gold Eagles, Canadian Silver/Gold Maple Leafs, generic rounds, etc then that's tough as they are usually listed under Coins/Bullion so....

I've asked small sellers to change listing category in the past. Some are ok with it, quite a few don't know how or can't figure it out and the rest just don't want to do it. Big sellers? Not even worth asking I assume.

Last edited:

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Dang none for me again, second time and I bought the last 100 bucks
You aren't missing much. It seems only the higher premium coin deals have the bucks. Even most of the 90% silver deals are devoid of bucks. The eBuck party is slowly winding down for us PM buyers