• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Emergency Tire Change

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Flat tire, on the road, all I had was the factory tools and had installed the lugs with my shop airgun

The first thing I tore up was the factory lug tool AND rounded off the nut. It was a miracle I did get one loose. 2nd one......not so lucky. Then the car rolled a little bit because I didn't chock it or set the brake

did I mention that I'm 50 miles from home and mah tools?

and by now I have a pretty good mental funk going?

The point is......first, the factory emergency jack isn't worth sour owl snot. get a decent compact floor jack to stow away

2nd..........I'm shopping for a cordless impact to keep in the car. Mostly so that I look cool if I ever have to change another flat (quite likely)

Discuss

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Screw the cordless impact. Get a 2' breaker bar and the correct socket. Personally, I carry a radial tire repair kit with my 12v pump. Fully half the flats I've had over the last 20 years I was able to fix without removing the wheel.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I don't believe it does. It's a solid cast aluminium beast designed for inflating large sidewall(235/75-15) pickup tires. I have to use it with old cigarette lighter sockets because it draws too many amps for the 'power point' you find on modern cars. Comes in a nice black bag with a detachable yellow coil hose. The middle of the coil keeps the radial plug kit, a stick pressure gauge and a pair of side cutters from wandering off.

I do believe this to be it ... or a close cousin. I don't recall mine having all the black on it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterflow-12v-Portable-Air-Compressor-Inflator/12321235

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I picked up a battery powered impact wrench for the van. My last van (Ford E250) the nuts were so tight I BROKE a 2' breaker bar trying to pull a wheel! Never again! I borrowed a Milwaukee Impact battery powered from a friend after his Ingersoll air impact FAILED to loosen even one lug (@125psi). After using the Milwaukee I was sold on it. Picked up a cheapo Harbor Freight model rated at twice the Milwaukee so I know it would at least be about as strong as the Milwaukee. It is. Got the deep well impact sockets too! No more dancing on a 4-way for Alton and NO more broken breaker bars! Sad thing was that the broken breaker bar was American made and about 40y.o.. It held up for a long while but finally met it's match.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I hope you beat the monkey that put them on that tight over the head with the corpse of that breaker bar.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I picked up another nail today. That's 3 this year so far. Lots of new construction in Florida and it's costing me tires. Anyway I carry a plug kit. I felt it while driving.

I turned the wheels for easy front wheel access. I pulled the nail with needle nose pliers and already had a plug loaded in the punch. I bored out the hole, added glue to the plug and inserted. I lost less than a couple ounces of air. It took almost 2 minutes from finding the nail to cutting off the leftover plug. It holds great, but unfortunately that's the second plug in the same right front tire. I know it's risky.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The last time I paid TSA to take naked scans of my body and Xray all of my belongings, I left my rig in short term parking for a week and came back to a completely flat tire. I used a small inverter plugged into the cig lit and ran my small pancake compressor off of it with success. Only trouble is the length of time to fill the little tank and it took at least 6 full tanks to fill and get home.

Buddy o' mine got the DEWALT cordless impact and it was a beast. Hazard Fraught's version has good reviews.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I picked up another nail today. That's 3 this year so far. Lots of new construction in Florida and it's costing me tires. Anyway I carry a plug kit. I felt it while driving.

I turned the wheels for easy front wheel access. I pulled the nail with needle nose pliers and already had a plug loaded in the punch. I bored out the hole, added glue to the plug and inserted. I lost less than a couple ounces of air. It took almost 2 minutes from finding the nail to cutting off the leftover plug. It holds great, but unfortunately that's the second plug in the same right front tire. I know it's risky.
While on Marco island last weekend saw an article about the Miami tire popping dilemma.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I use one of these
1527495190035.png

along with these from Harbor Freight
1527495288682.png

This set is also excellent for loosening up things like lawn mower blades too. Something to put on a watch list for ebay bucks and the harbor freight always has those 20% off coupons.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Most shops won't repair a tire that's had slime or fix-a-flat in it I'm told.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Both car and truck have a slime brand 12v inflator and a good T handle tire plug kit. That is on top of the tire iron/scissor jack/spare tire that came with the vehicles. Lots of times I will also put my portable jump starter in the car/truck and I always carry the jumper in the boat. My truck always has a rolled up tug strap in it.

Facts are I live in the middle of nofreakingwhere and many of my trips out and about are even more remote. Many places have zero cell coverage and hardly any traffic at all. Anybody who comes along and sees you stranded will stop to help but that may be a couple days. Or more.

Sheet happens but it's your responsibility to cover as many bases as you can to get yourself out of trouble.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
I always have a solar battery charger in the trunk too. It came in handy once when my alternator died.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Gentlemen. SHE needs to change the tire. Not me! I have all of the proper tools. Plus the knowledge. And the physical strength.

I will admit I should have been more specific. WE gotta equip a female so she can change a tire on the road in 15 minutes or less WITHOUT a floor jack.

I included the cursing of the factory jack/lug tool for the comedic relief. Both were not up to the task, and, better left in the trunk.

My biggest gripe is the totally inadequate spare tire with no room for a real tire!

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
i had to work on a ford, its not so much that they suck it's that the engineering is so retarded they suck. It's like all of the short bus kids went to work for them

my soul feels soiled a little, like a politician