• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Everlasting bike tubes

Ishkabibble

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Okay, I think we're all aware that the streets could be plugged up in a SHTF situation, and that we should have multiple options for travel. I would prefer not to be as exposed as one is on a bike, but I still consider cycling a viable transportation method for when the SHTF, especially when the bike is rigged for off-road use. There's one major weak link to off-road cycling though, and that's bike tubes. I've blown several, and if SHTF and I blow a bike tube, you can bet I'll be pissed. But what to do about it?

Until a couple years ago, there was a company called BELL which produced foam inserts which could be used in place of inflatable tubes. I've read that they feel a bit soft to heavy riders, and that they're a @%$$# to install. Now I couldn't care less about how hard they are to install, and the weight is coming off anyway, so they seem like a great idea to me. Problem is that the company that produced them is gone.

Well, good news! I've since found out that the tubes are available right now on Amazon. Some sizes aren't available, but most are. We can't buy them in Canada, so I'm buying from the US and paying a @#%'n lot for shipping. Sucks, but better to replace the weakest part of my bike than to simply hope it lasts.

You can find the tubes on Amazon.com by searching for "No-Mor Flats". I've ordered mine. I haven't found another source beyond this now defunct manufacturer, so I don't suggest waiting too long if you want any. Once they're gone, it seems they're gone.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
What you may want to get is some green slime, super for fixing holes in tires, after hurricane charlie hit years back the wheel barrel I was using kept picking up a sht load of roofing nails from when I stripped the roof, I put the slime in the tire and not a problem since, I also used it in my car a few months back, had a slo leak and couldnt find it, 8 ounces of slime and no trouble since, also no vibration on the highway either, I personally keep a quart around all the time.

Ishkabibble

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Yep, that green slime's a must have. I fixed a car tire with it 6 months ago. No issues since. It's not ideal as I have read it can pit the rims, but I'm not too worried about it. It is definitely something to have on hand when SHTF. Not as good as an unpoppable tire, but more versatile and one hill of a lot cheaper.

JayDubya

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I seem to remember a fairly recent article about an Israeli inventor who is making cardboard bicycles. That might be the way to go.

just n case

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
When researching a few years back, as I was interested in motorizing a bicycle at the time, I read poor reviews of the foam inserts. Seems that the foam compacts over time and gets hard.

I can tell you that all rimes, tires, and tubes are not equal. A good quality rim, heavy tires, and thorn proof tubes might weigh a little extra, but go a long way in preventing flats.

Have you considered a motor for your bike? Mine bike, pictured here goes 30 mph and gets 200+ mpg.

DSCF5430_opt.jpg

Last edited:

just n case

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
For another option, I have also heard of people putting a 26x2.00 tire inside a 26x2.25 tire with a tube.