• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Everyone Move to Texas?

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

SCIENCE LESSON--​

Everyone Move to Texas?​

Yet another tool for teachers​

by Alice Shirrell Kaswell, AIR staff

people-in-texas.gif

Texas
Students sometimes complain that "facts are dull things."

Here is a simple resource you can use to get your students thinking and asking questions about some simple facts.

These facts are supplied by the Population Research Institute (PRI). PRI describes itself as "a non-profit research and educational organization dedicated to objectively presenting the truth about population-related issues." PRI's stated mission is "To articulate the material and social benefits of moderate population growth and promote economic development through models which respect the dignity and rights of the individual human person and the family." Here are the facts, direct from PRI:

Did You Know?​

The whole world's population could fit in the state of Texas...Amazing as it may seem, the entire population of the world can be housed in the U.S. state of Texas — and very comfortably indeed, with each person enjoying a living far in excess of that now available to all but the most wealthy.
Consider these facts: The land area of Texas is some 262,000 square miles* and current UN estimates of the world's population (for 12 October 1999) are about 6 billion.** By converting square miles to square feet — remember to multiply by 5,280 feet per mile twice — and dividing by the world's population, one readily finds that there are more than 1,217 square feet per capita.
A family of 5 would thus occupy more than 6,085 square feet of living space. Even in Texas, that's a mansion.
...​
This is wonderful teaching material (see the PRI's full presentation to get additional facts about the how the world's population could all live in Texas. PRI's web site contains these and lots of other amazing facts for students.

Questions for Students​

wastrel

Mr. Negative
Site Supporter
Reaction score
in the dark, probably being eaten by a grue
I did the math, and (with due accounting for rounding, etc.) those figures are about right.

However, all you'd have is resident space. It doesn't account for roads, grocery stores, sewage plants, electrical plants, and other things that make a modern civilization. Let alone any green space for kids to play in. I guess they're planning on keeping all the farmland and meat processing plants outside Texas.

Not to mention that a couple of direct hits from hurricanes would wipe out significant portions of the human race. Oh, and living right on top of each other makes it real easy to just start killing each other.

So, sure, everyone could live in Texas, but we'd have to rename it Hell.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
W
I did the math, and (with due accounting for rounding, etc.) those figures are about right.

However, all you'd have is resident space. It doesn't account for roads, grocery stores, sewage plants, electrical plants, and other things that make a modern civilization. Let alone any green space for kids to play in. I guess they're planning on keeping all the farmland and meat processing plants outside Texas.

Not to mention that a couple of direct hits from hurricanes would wipe out significant portions of the human race. Oh, and living right on top of each other makes it real easy to just start killing each other.

So, sure, everyone could live in Texas, but we'd have to rename it Hell.
Yeah, that's about right. Plus we are closer to 8 billion humans now, not 6 billion of a couple decades ago.
Nevertheless, a good way to visualize how much space there is.

EO 11110

(LOIS LERNER) GOT AWAY WITH IT
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
as a tx real estate investor one of my mantras is 'there's always more land in texas'

so i invest exclusively in tx bay/gulf waterfront property

Ash_Williams

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It used to be Jacksonville that was used for this type of argument.
It's never been a good argument IMO.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
I will need at least 100 acres for me. Cuts down on the civil disturbances that way

Reactions: rte

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Nevertheless, a good way to visualize how much space there is.
Which is the point of the thread/article.

They keep fearing us that the world is over populated like a city, but reality is it really isn't. The east coast is over populated, but once you come out west it's still the 'wide open spaces'.... Look at road density on a map to see where the populations exist.

Ash_Williams

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Which is the point of the thread/article.

They keep fearing us that the world is over populated like a city, but reality is it really isn't. The east coast is over populated, but once you come out west it's still the 'wide open spaces'.... Look at road density on a map to see where the populations exist.
Is the goal to fill all the land with humans? For what purpose?

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Is the goal to fill all the land with humans? For what purpose?
I'd say 'No'... however they do call it the progress of man when they build homes on open land AKA Urban sprawl.

Ash_Williams

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say 'No'... however they do call it the progress of man when they build homes on open land AKA Urban sprawl.
The sprawl sucks. But city life is shitty life. Unless there is a good reason for endless growth I don't see the point.

I know the argument that more DNA combinations means more chances of geniuses, but this world is cruel to the existing ones unless they happen to be born into some elite family. A Musk born into the type of environment that 99% of humans are would probably have killed himself as a teenager.

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I don't think anyone's point was to house the entire human population in the confines of Texas. Its an illustration. One that counters the overpopulation myth. The comparison to Jacksonville Florida was that every human being alive could fit there, shoulder to shoulder.

Ash_Williams

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think anyone's point was to house the entire human population in the confines of Texas. Its an illustration. One that counters the overpopulation myth. The comparison to Jacksonville Florida was that every human being alive could fit there, shoulder to shoulder.

I get that, but I don't think it counters the overpopulation argument.

How much land should there be per person - figure that out first. It's a lot more than 1217 sq feet a person I'm thinking, for living. A hell of a lot more to provide good food (healthy meat & farm produce not gmo corn disguised in various ways as food) and clean water and fresh air. Then how much land is available per person. Then how quickly that that number will drop in the face of a world population that was growing exponentially.

I'm not pretending to know the answers, but I haven't seen a convincing argument that overpopulation dangers are a myth.

EO 11110

(LOIS LERNER) GOT AWAY WITH IT
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
the same ones that screech about overpopulation also gave you incubator babies, globalist warming, the covid vaccines, mostly peaceful riots, most secure election in history, those are contrails, etc

the burden of proof is on THEM, not us. thus far they have failed miserably at proving their wild claims

have you seen how fat much of the world is.....lol. there's enough extra calories being eaten to dramatically increase population w/out a crisis

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I get that, but I don't think it counters the overpopulation argument.

How much land should there be per person - figure that out first. It's a lot more than 1217 sq feet a person I'm thinking, for living. A hell of a lot more to provide good food (healthy meat & farm produce not gmo corn disguised in various ways as food) and clean water and fresh air. Then how much land is available per person. Then how quickly that that number will drop in the face of a world population that was growing exponentially.

I'm not pretending to know the answers, but I haven't seen a convincing argument that overpopulation dangers are a myth.
Don't know how old you are but I believe at last count the geo chicken little alarmist crowd are 0-137

Agavegirl1

Gold Chaser
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Well, since the number of acres needed to support an individual is closer to 5-10, and the current population is 7.96+Billion (as of this typing), we may need to add a state or two.