• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

EXTREME tornado footage captured by drone over Andover, KS last night

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Reed Timmer managed to capture some incredible footage from his drone last night.

EXTREME tornado footage captured by drone over Andover, KS last night! Erratic vortex behavior​

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Videos like this make all of the vertically shot, shaky potato cam footage well worth suffering through.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
From comments:

"Hands down the best footage ever of a tornado. Get an incredible perspective on what is really occurring, it’s structure and impact. Unreal work Reed! Be safe!"

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
It makes me think twice about all the times I refuse to take shelter.
Got my taste of that reality in Joplin.

https://goldismoney2.com/threads/shtf-joplin-mo-one-month-after-the-c-5-tornado-hit-pictures.19292/

Especially after closely examining this car:
photo602-jpg.12192

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
I saw 3 separate vortexes

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah there was a lot going on with that one. I happened to be watching this live as it happened. Note: don't drive like this (sorry Reed):

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Scenes like that make me emotional, even though I haven't seen anything near that bad. I am a weather spotter. Have only seen 3 tornadoes and when I was young all I wanted to do was see more. Now I won't mind if I never see one again.
There's a very distinct feeling of death in the air. It's impossible to describe unless you've experienced it.

Even though our conscious minds might not be aware subconsciously our bodies know.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
When I was in the guard we worked a tornado that touched down in Shelbyville, a few cuts and scrapes, mostly just damage.

What got me was how quiet it was. No birds, no frogs, no crickets. Nothing.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
This is how close it was to me

Screenshot_20220430-165351_Maps.jpg

FYigTt.gif

Last edited:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Boy if you watch a minute of it at half speed or a quarter speed and then switch to normal speed, it's gets even crazier

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

The footage reminds me a lot of this tornado. I remember this well. Paul Douglas came to my grade school and had this footage from the KARE 11 news helicopter showing. Your little GIF shows the same corkscrew look that tornado had. It was one of a few childhood experiences that got me obsessed with weather. I very nearly went into meteorology.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
In the opening scenes of the video, what was the classification? F?

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The footage reminds me a lot of this tornado. I remember this well. Paul Douglas came to my grade school and had this footage from the KARE 11 news helicopter showing. Your little GIF shows the same corkscrew look that tornado had. It was one of a few childhood experiences that got me obsessed with weather. I very nearly went into meteorology.

Yeah I made that gif because of how inspiring it is no pun intended. Very rare to see such a dramatic, illustrative display of nature/ physics.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
EF classification only comes after survey. I would estimate EF2-3 but ultimately the survey will have to determine that.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I believe the official designation was DF - Destination F-ed!

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Houses literally exploded and sucked up. Terrifying and so sad.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Screenshot_20220430-175000_YouTube.jpg

Growing up in Connecticut, tornadoes were one of the last things on my mind. Since being surrounded by them down here in Arkansas I'm a lot more familiar with them. First thing to be on the lookout for is a change in temperature and changing color in the sky and if you see distinct lines like this , very dangerous weather may apply.

Screenshot_20220430-174713_YouTube.jpg

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Stories regarding Joplin tells the tales of people literally walking like zombies towards the hospital impaled with street signs and whatever else you can imagine. The terror and unpredictability of these storms and what they are capable of cannot be overstated.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
View attachment 256679

Growing up in Connecticut, tornadoes were one of the last things on my mind. Since being surrounded by them down here in Arkansas I'm a lot more familiar with them. First thing to be on the lookout for is a change in temperature and changing color in the sky and if you see distinct lines like this , very dangerous weather may apply.

View attachment 256680
That is the updraft base / rain-free base as used to be called. Your arrows show what the air in that region was doing so much that it resembles some of the slides that were shown at the skywarn training I attended on Tuesday.

"Wall clouds" are a lowing of the rain-free base that occur when moisture condenses lower due to increasing humidity caused by inflow and updrafts.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
That is the updraft base / rain-free base as used to be called. Your arrows show what the air in that region was doing so much that it resembles some of the slides that were shown at the skywarn training I attended on Tuesday.

"Wall clouds" are a lowing of the rain-free base that occur when moisture condenses lower due to increasing humidity caused by inflow and updrafts.
And in my experience may contain very cold air and large hail.

Ironically enough several years ago I was visiting my mom in Connecticut. While helping her erect her bat enclosure(for rehabilitation) a storm just like that carrying a microburst came through and ruined the enclosure.

The damage wound up being so bad that she had her entire roof replaced and cedar siding replaced on two sides of the house through insurance.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
And in my experience may contain very cold air and large hail.

Ironically enough several years ago I was visiting my mom in Connecticut. While helping her erect her bat enclosure(for rehabilitation) a storm just like that carrying a microburst came through and ruined the enclosure.

The damage wound up being so bad that she had her entire roof replaced and cedar siding replaced on two sides of the house through insurance.
Dang. That sucks.

Yeah hail does fall from the updraft area. Stronger updraft can mean larger hail.

The cold air is normally from the outflow and will inhibit storm formation if it enters the inflow/updraft region.

I have had numerous experiences where the wind goes from warm/humid to cold as the wind changes direction, back and forth in the vicinity of a storm. It is quite the experience when a storm dies, it becomes outflow dominant and on a warm day suddenly you get a nice long cool breeze.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
There's a very distinct feeling of death in the air. It's impossible to describe unless you've experienced it.

Even though our conscious minds might not be aware subconsciously our bodies know.

i have been thru 3 and witnessed the aftermath of many including joplin.....

what you saying is so true.....many times the air as you see in those videos is calm elsewhere ...sky many times is dark green......remember joplin well was driving towards joplin on I44 the afternoon it hit a huge wall cloud of darkness was rolling towards me from the east looked like the scenes you see in movies where a huge sand storm is coming ........in one Stockton missouri......one went thru a grave yard and tossed grave stones which i found difficult to comprehend

i am fascinated by them .....dont directly fear them but i respect them.......i have a 8" thick walled concrete vault in my home i can walk into from my bedroom as many people are killed because they dont want to get out of the house to seek shelter during a storm mine is easy quick and convenient

a direct hit is akin to a bomb going off in your house

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

what you saying is so true.....many times the air as you see in those videos is calm elsewhere ...sky many times is dark green......remember joplin well was driving towards joplin on I44 the afternoon it hit a huge wall cloud of darkness was rolling towards me from the east looked like the scenes you see in movies where a huge sand storm is coming ........in one Stockton missouri......one went thru a grave yard and tossed grave stones which i found difficult to comprehend

i am fascinated by them .....dont directly fear them but i respect them.......i have a 8" thick walled concrete vault in my home i can walk into from my bedroom as many people are killed because they dont want to get out of the house to seek shelter during a storm mine is easy quick and convenient

I grew up with earth quakes (So Calif) & so many people are deathly afraid of them.
I will take the worst quake (I have been in some bad ones) anytime, over that or any tornado.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Yes that gray/green color is now a permanently affixed warning flag in my mind. It's hue is unmistakable now.

Last edited:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
giphy.gif

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Reminds me of a simple program I wrote many years ago. It "simulates" a tornado by animating dots to spiral in a similar way to a tornado. It has a number of adjustments you can make including a "cow" feature, where the cow appears and floats around the tornado when enabled.

StormCow.PNG

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Reminds me of a simple program I wrote many years ago. It "simulates" a tornado by animating dots to spiral in a similar way to a tornado. It has a number of adjustments you can make including a "cow" feature, where the cow appears and floats around the tornado when enabled.

View attachment 256747
Nice!

c Toggle cow. :belly laugh: just when you think you've seen it all!

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

I have a feeling it is not in Kansas anymore. Ask Dorothy.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

BarnacleBob

Exoriare aliquis nostris ex ossibus ultor
Founding Member
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I feel terrible for the survivors of such events... that was/is devastating!

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
THE MOST INSANE TORNADO FOOTAGE of all-time from Andover, Kansas drone and ground compilation

New compilation from the Andover, KS EF3 tornado intercept on April 30, 2022 including Dominator Drone and ground perspectives. Audio has been softened for the faint of heart. Miraculously, no lives were lost from this tornado despite immense damage and nearly 1000 structures impacted. This shows how incredible the warning process was for this storm. We called in the tornado in progress and NWS issued tornado warning and sirens sounded. We hope that this drone footage can advance our understanding of the tornado relationship with the ground and the influence of friction.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty