• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Farm Tractor thread

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Don’t the new diesel tractors require those BS DEF systems mandated by EPA? If so that might be enough to sway me to buy used.

Just sayin.....
Some do some dont....but I agree on buying used

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
This is all truth, and ttazzman is right when he says to go drive them. You need one that you are comfortable driving. And the fact that the Deere had the two pedals for the hydrostatic drive is one of the big deals that tilted me to the Deere over the LS and Kubota...they both had the rocker pedal which would drive me nuts. However, that is personal preference. I know a lot of guys greatly prefer the rocker pedal.
If you're used to old tractors with two right-foot pedals to control the brakes and you switch to two right foot pedals for forward reverse, you'll scare yourself shitless. I rented a Yanmar like that once to clean out a switchback on a mountain road and nearly went over the side several times. Hated it.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My older Ford tractor has a manual transmission.
My newer, not new, New Holland has the rocker peddle same side as the two peddle brakes.
Took me a while to get used to that peddle, because all I ever had was pretty much like the Ford.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Don’t the new diesel tractors require those BS DEF systems mandated by EPA? If so that might be enough to sway me to buy used.

Just sayin.....
Yes, but most of the smaller tractors use a DPF system in place of the DEF. DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter.
The trouble is there's a Regen cycle that both the Kubota & Deere uses.......after so many (I think it's 3) cycles, it's time to have the filter replaced.

Mahindra meets the EPA requirements to run their diesels without a DPF or a DEF system.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Mahindra_0189.JPG

Here's a 2014 XL-28 Mahindra that I went to see this morning. It has only 20-hours on it (used) for $10k.
28-HP

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
If you're used to old tractors with two right-foot pedals to control the brakes and you switch to two right foot pedals for forward reverse, you'll scare yourself shitless. I rented a Yanmar like that once to clean out a switchback on a mountain road and nearly went over the side several times. Hated it.
I was used to two peddles ....most hystat heavy equipment forklifts etc use the two peddle system...most hystats dont have a brake peddle at all taking your foot off the peddle locks up the hystat system ie auto brakes......i tried a rocker peddle once and it just didnt work for me at all................i will tell you what will scare you shittless using tractor brakes on a 2wd tractor on a hill side gravel road...or same thing with your 4wd tractor in 2wd i have a hill i negotiate regularly i get to clean my pants everytime i forget to put them in 4wd going down hill :)

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Kubota_0191.JPG

Here's the other one he is selling for $14k but it's physically larger than the Mahindra with 96 hours on it.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Went to pick up a 7700 JD and noticed it was out of fuel so am planning on Sunday @v 7am due to traffic but day-am on the way back there were these two trucks packing some old iron, I mean like steel wheel iron. Would have loved to even have one of those.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Went to pick up a 7700 JD and noticed it was out of fuel so am planning on Sunday @v 7am due to traffic but day-am on the way back there were these two trucks packing some old iron, I mean like steel wheel iron. Would have loved to even have one of those.
seeing they hold ....~100 gal of fuel?....filling one up is a significant issue :).....7700=real tractor

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
seeing they hold ....~100 gal of fuel?....filling one up is a significant issue :).....7700=real tractor
We were/are going to move it 5 miles and then it gets picked up from there and hauled to east of Burns so we are only putting 10gal in it. That 9500 hillside I was running chewed up 50 in 10 to 11 hours so about 5 gallons per hour is a good bet.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Hey Tazz, I've poured over YouTube vids & reviews and here's are some negatives on the 3032e, let me know what your opinion is on each of these since you're a JD guy.

#1 - Rear housing is Aluminum not steel and there's no backhoe available for this model. Suspicion is that it's too weak to handle a backhoe and the aluminum is inferior for heavy duty use.
#2 - The 3032 has a plastic hood & fenders which are viewed as inferior to metal.
#3 - The bucket attachment is JD proprietary and only accepts JD attachments. A universal Skid Steer attachment is viewed as better & more versatile.
#4 - Location of the controls near the side rear fenders are 'cramped' and not as easy to reach as it's competitor.
#5 - On the pair of right pedals, the inside is forward and the outside is reverse. Awkward for those used to a dual brake in that location and confusion can send you reverse into something by accident.

Anyhow, it looks sturdy enough for my small place but wanted some feedback.
~AD~

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Hey Tazz, I've poured over YouTube vids & reviews and here's are some negatives on the 3032e, let me know what your opinion is on each of these since you're a JD guy.

:) JD guy yes....but in subcompacts they have no clear advantage so no real brand preference

#1 - Rear housing is Aluminum not steel and there's no backhoe available for this model. Suspicion is that it's too weak to handle a backhoe and the aluminum is inferior for heavy duty use.

no educated comment on this ....if your considering a backhoe attachment be sure the tractor is suitable ....frame...hydraulics...etc
#2 - The 3032 has a plastic hood & fenders which are viewed as inferior to metal.

personally i had the same opinion before i owned a "plastic" paneled JD 4500 ....i have one and now feel its the best option by far a big ++ for me...dent proof...and if paint gets bad or panels gets broken...i can buy a ready to attach prepainted part on Ebay for $150 a side.....i cant afford to fix a dent and touch up paint for that level of cost...and NO RUST....and in theory for $600 i can replace all the panels n hood and have a "brand new " painted tractor etc

#3 - The bucket attachment is JD proprietary and only accepts JD attachments. A universal Skid Steer attachment is viewed as better & more versatile.

my JD 4500 has JDs proprietary attachment....i also own a Skid loader with attachments....i just bought a adaptor.....i think it cost me $350 ...some JDs come with the universal Skidsteer attach mount

#4 - Location of the controls near the side rear fenders are 'cramped' and not as easy to reach as it's competitor.

always go with control setups that FIT YOU....a tractor is a work unit and its not effective if your not comfortable with the control set

#5 - On the pair of right pedals, the inside is forward and the outside is reverse. Awkward for those used to a dual brake in that location and confusion can send you reverse into something by accident.

again this is a personal preference ......i am very used to the control set your describing.....personally the JD pedal set is more natual to me as it is similar to much heavier equipment in the market and closer to automotive pedal sets ....employees i have hired in past seem to adapt very quickly to this type of setup.....but always revert to my thoughs on #4

Anyhow, it looks sturdy enough for my small place but wanted some feedback.
~AD~
^^^ EXPAND ABOVE for comments^^^^

in my opinion JD has no clear advantage and is at a price disadvantage in the subconpact tractor market ....... each tractor brand and model will have its pros n cons.....warranty...dealer support....and personal needs....you will wear yourself out and get frustrated just looking at specs....really need to pick three that are promising to the dealer and go drive them extensively....you will find that will narrow the field down in a hurry then you can look at used based on that experience.......hope this helps

EDIT TO ADD....as your finding out you will pay significantly more for Kubota/JD units vs the rest ....

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Kubota L3200.jpg

This one is about 2-1/2 hours away from me. It's a 2013 model L3200 with shredder for $15,400.
403 hours, GST transmission, bumper kit, hydraulic 3rd function - bucket grappler.

This one has everything I'm looking for except the HST transmission. I'm ok with manual it's just a little more cumbersome to me.
Thoughts ?

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
I'm now leaning towards Kubota because of the looks, layout, and features. After getting seat time on an L2501, I really like where the controls are placed.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Kubota L3200 controls.jpg

I think the GST (Glide Shift Trans) is a misprint, after reading the L3200-L3800 brochure online the only 2 options were HST and Shuttle Shift.
GST are for the bigger Kubota models from what I've read.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
3rd functions are a fantastic option but come in 3 basic forms....#1 is aftermarket routed from rear hydraulic ports making them unavailable for other uses.......#2 is aftermarket unit that disables one function of your loader when you use the 3rd function.....#3 is factory or aftermarket that is stand alone allowing all other functions at the same time..........obviously #3 is by far the most expensive and desirable.....#2 is ok just be aware.....#3 is better than nothing...having any form of 3rd fuction is extremely desirable and can be expensive to add to a tractor..having the grapple attachment is extremely useful

if you do a lot of loader work you will want a Hydraulic Shuttle Shift ( f-n-r ) lever by steering wheel requires no clutching (not sure which this one is)

a personal preference for me is i dislike loader joystick being a arms reach away requiring large arm muscle groups to operate ....i much prefer a loader joystick by my right thigh allowing for much more precise finger control ...same with 3pt lift control...

overall looks like a great package (3rd function is a big +)(shredder is a + also if you need it) implements can be scary expensive sometimes

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
if you do a lot of loader work you will want a Hydraulic Shuttle Shift ( f-n-r ) lever by steering wheel requires no clutching (not sure which this one is)
I test drove a new Kubota L3901 yesterday with HST and it was AWESOME !!!
Everything was fluid smooth and easy for me to operate with zero issues.
Currently, my Kubota dealer is financing 0-down with 0% interest for 5-years........ but...... but it was a little pricey.

implements can be scary expensive sometimes
YEP, after adding up the Tractor w/ Loader +Implements it added about 30% to the total cost ~ YIKES !
My quote included the following:

37.5 hp Tractor, R4 tires, HST
Loader w/ 66" quick attach bucket
5' box blade
66" reverse cut tiller, gear drive
3-pt. PTO chipper, 3" capacity

$28.5k base price before equipment tax, insurance & fees

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
pricing will certainly wake a person up......and right about that 40hp range is a really good size smooth hydraulics/hst etc is good some small tractors can be jerky.......i would recommend you doing the same process at JD and Mahindra .....even if you dont buy new it will really help you understand differences and what fits you ...compared to what your coming from these will be like Cadillacs

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
5' box blade
66" reverse cut tiller, gear drive
3-pt. PTO chipper, 3" capacity
Maybe look at after market brands on the implements. Just a thought!
Have you looked at New Holland tractors? Dealer support nearby is, of course an issue.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Maybe look at after market brands on the implements. Just a thought!
Have you looked at New Holland tractors? Dealer support nearby is, of course an issue.
There is a New Holland dealer but it's the furthest from me, way on the other side of the Metroplex.
It's a 1+ hour drive.....

Not that it matters either, but I was told LS out of Korea is now building the NH tractors.

Last edited:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
FWIW .....i buy most of my general implements via craigslist.......i will say i have never seen a PTO chipper for sale on CL though...around here .

quick attach buckets run $500ish
box blades $3-500
pto tillers $750-----$1500

i also buy items on this site 3pt and QA ...run regular sales via email offers... https://www.palletforks.com

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Same here on the PTO chipper....... never seen a used one in my area.

I'm probably going to hold off on the tiller and pair it down to just the basic 'need' implements.
The Tractor w/ Loader is the most important.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Would be intresting to be able to get TnAndy's feed back.......i know he had a New Holland Compact.....then bought a Yanmar.......both in that 40hp range ....and you know he uses the heck out of them on construction type projects...

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Yep, I miss TnAndy....

Anyhow, I was reading up on the Chippers and there's 2 models based on capacity.

One is a 3" using 2 reversible & replaceable hardened steel knives. (12-30 hp, min. 25hp for max capacity)
The other is a 4" using 4 reversible & replaceable hardened steel knives. (20-50hp, min. 35hp for max capacity).

So, my thoughts are although I really don't plan on chipping anything greater than 2-1/2" to 3" the extra capacity and heavy duty construction seems like a better buy. Plus the small one has a rotor speed of 1984-rpm whereas the bigger one is 540-rpm like the tractor. Less shaft wear is what that tells me.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Don't take chipper ratings seriously. If a chipper is rated for 12" you can figure it will be OK for up to 6" trees. Feeding a chipper is very exhausting work so you're not likely to put thousands of hours on one. Often people who have them still stack and burn much of their brush to avoid dragging it on steep terrain to where they can get a chipper.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
What ever happened TN Andy?
It's complicated and I'm not sure of all the details, but he wanted 'out' shortly after G-Khan vanished.

Many Founders were not happy with running ads on GIM but someone has to pay the bills. Donations help, but it's not consistent enough.
In the end TN-Andy didn't agree with the direction of GIM........ especially in how it was being managed.

That said, we all need to thank Scorpio for keep the lights on and not leaving us homeless.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Don't take chipper ratings seriously. If a chipper is rated for 12" you can figure it will be OK for up to 6" trees. Feeding a chipper is very exhausting work so you're not likely to put thousands of hours on one. Often people who have them still stack and burn much of their brush to avoid dragging it on steep terrain to where they can get a chipper.
Since I'm within city limits, burning is not an option. I can load up a truck and bring it to the city landscape dump site on certain days or bundle limbs neatly and set them out by the roadside for pickup. Chipping may be work, but it'll provide mulch for my beds & gardening purposes.

As for ratings, it sounds like BIGGER is better - seems to be the standard in the Tractor world.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If you've only enough brush/limbs/etc. to chip once or twice a year, why not just rent a big one from one of those rental places?

When I get a huge pile again, I may do that. I do have one that takes something like 4-5" limbs, mounts on the tractor, but doesn't like limbs on branches very good. Usually anything much over 2" goes into the firewood pile anyway, but those branches on the limbs need to be trimmed to go into the chipper.

Lots of work, chipping!

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Those big ones are called "chuck & duck" for a reason.
Had a summer job with Asphlund as a teen.
Every once in a while it will send one back atcha.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
This is the farm tractor thread is it not? Well I gots one for you.

So this summer the guy who bailed the hay used an accumulator, it's a table that accumulates 8 bales of two strand and deposits them all squared up and tightly so for the accumulator pickup tractor. K, this thing has a bunch of curved hooks on it that you place over all eight bales, pick them all up as a unit and put them on the flatbed. BUT we could never get the stupid tractor to run. So, off goes the pump to the injector hospital, off goes the starter to the starter hospital and it still will not run. Being we both were at are wit's end's a couple of days ago I suggested we get some long battery leads and make it so we could hook up two batteries for more amps. I got one upped with "Yeah lets pump 24 volts through it." So today we did and finally she spit, coughed, choked and ran.

Thing is if it has a roosamaster injection pump then that pump has to turn over fast enough to suck in the fuel. Now if it has a lift pump you can throw on an a holley 41# electric. 5 months we been pecking away at this bitch and finally got it.

now word of caution!> If you do this pull the battery lead to the alternator so you do not fri it.

well' call this a life hack, tractor hack whatevers but it works.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thing is if it has a roosamaster injection pump then that pump has to turn over fast enough to suck in the fuel.
Since diesel engines don't have spark plugs, cranking speed is a big factor in starting them. Compression ignition does not happen at a snails pace. Some equipment is designed and sold with the capacity for only minimal cranking speed, so when there is a slight loss of compression or cold weather, they are damned difficult to start.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
If you've only enough brush/limbs/etc. to chip once or twice a year, why not just rent a big one from one of those rental places?

When I get a huge pile again, I may do that. I do have one that takes something like 4-5" limbs, mounts on the tractor, but doesn't like limbs on branches very good. Usually anything much over 2" goes into the firewood pile anyway, but those branches on the limbs need to be trimmed to go into the chipper.

Lots of work, chipping!
My County has a diesel powered 12" Bandit chipper they rent to us for $50 bucks a day. It has hydraulic feed which is important. In reality it will handle 6" softwoods just fine, it takes three hard working people to do it justice. Renting a chipper is only practical if the labor is available, IMHO. Small ones often don't have hydraulic feed so they are more work and more time.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Long drive all day drive tommorow to look at a tractor ......been looking for months......any luck and i will have something to add to the thread this wkend :)

.....hows your tractor search going AD ??....

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Looking is the most fun.
IDK, I wrench on them every day. Got the pony motor for an old D4 running today will throw on the blade cylinder tomorrow and see if the main power plant turns over and starts. Then its's on to a two lung old JD with a pony motor in which I am waiting for the magneto cap. Then when it gets to really raining I have a 706 to put the cowling back on as it is in a shed. Still have the Lamborghini tracked thing that lost reverse. Called the guys in Georgia and they told me to find the serial number because the engine serial wasn't getting it so I cleaned it all up and it has no serial number.

Fun times ahead.....

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well going looking at tractors can be like going fishing, sometimes you don't take a rod.