• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Farm Tractor thread

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
....this is hopefully a buying trip.....been looking a long time for a 90-100hp machine.....what amazes me is how the dealers have become no more than website managers and $ takers.....amazing how many tractors i have seen at dealerships that are still dirty inside and unkempt.....drop off a requirement sheet at and talked to people at each dealership i stop by ....not a call back from any of them and i know some have machines on lot that match up......very different tractor buying world than 10yrs ago...its been hard for me to adjust to....i was used to equipment sellers having a rep visit my office at least twice a year and given a task would find what i needed...... new world of non-professional non-service......

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Long drive all day drive tommorow to look at a tractor ......been looking for months......any luck and i will have something to add to the thread this wkend :)

.....hows your tractor search going AD ??....
After weighing all my options, preferences, and seat time on the tractors - I put in an order for a Brand NEW Kubota L3901 with a loader & implements.......

Now, I'm just waiting on delivery. I was waiting on replying until I have pics to help this thread.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
After weighing all my options, preferences, and seat time on the tractors - I put in an order for a Brand NEW Kubota L3901 with a loader & implements.......

Now, I'm just waiting on delivery. I was waiting on replying until I have pics to help this thread.
Wise choice. You are getting the best!
I've had Kubotas for years & never have any issues that I didn't cause.
Current fleet includes 4 tractors, a ZD, & RTV.
You'll love it!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
...had a long but fruitful trip.......hate to pollute your Orange thread with some Green n yellow pics :)....but came up with a JD 5105m ...loader/factory3rd valve.....4w....540/e....cab...etc.....finally met a group that cared enough to put up with me and have clean tractors

edit: just realized this was a open thread so Orange be damned LOL...im waiting on delivery also but i took a few pics while i was there for the record
20180920_141351 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
That BIG green machine is Purty !!! Something that large with a cab I'd luv to have a JD. No malice towards anyone, I like all tractors.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Here's the rundown while waiting for delivery & pics >>

KUBOTA

L3901 (37.5 hp) 3-range HST w/ cruise cntrl, 4wd and R4 Industrial Tires
LA525QA - loader with quick attach 66" bucket (skid steer)
RCR1260 - Land Pride 5' rotary cutter
BB1266 - Land Pride 66" box blade
RGR1266 - Land Pride 66" reverse cut tiller, gear drive
WC1504 - 3pt. PTO chipper 4" capacity w/4 reversible knife blades (540 rpm)
QH15 - Quick hitch (rear mount)

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
That BIG green machine is Purty !!! Something that large with a cab I'd luv to have a JD. No malice towards anyone, I like all tractors.
For me its a in between tractor a true utility tractor......not large enough for a true field tractor but enough HP and Options to do a ton of things with a lot of creature comforts and sub in for a field tractor if needed and small enough to be easy to transport at about 10k lbs ....been looking a long time hard to find a clean pampered tractor thats pre-emissions (no def no dpf) etc its a 2010 with ~900 hrs looks new inside i am extremely happy so far but time will tell

i grew up on AC orange.....i figured Pitw would bring up the RED subject.....i like em all also but its smart to buy what is popular in your area as it makes service, resale quick n easy :)

Last edited:

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
i grew up on AC orange.....i figured Pitw would bring up the RED subject.....i like em all also but its smart to buy what is popular in your area as it makes service, resale quick n easy :)
There are 2 others down the street that have Orange KB's and the Service Center is much closer to me than United Ag & Turf (JD).

During the buying process, I did have to switch salesman because the 1st guy was too slow, unresponsive, and got all hung up on my possible trade-in with my B8200. Oh yeah, I'm keeping that little guy around for now, it's a 19hp 4wd but no loader (669 hrs).

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'll never admit to liking them all as a Universal I drove in a 4H competition will keep me from that. You sure hit the nail on the head with the comment about what is popular in your area. Your new tractor looks sweet and I hope gives you a lifetime of worry free running.
Kinda/sorta funny how the older tractors with less stuff on them to go wrong are selling at farm auctions for better money than same sized comparisons that are newer.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Kinda/sorta funny how the older tractors with less stuff on them to go wrong are selling at farm auctions for better money than same sized comparisons that are newer.

me and the gal were discussing just that on the drive home from the purchase......i was telling her if i had problems with this tractor its probably electronic in nature and a trip to the dealer........vs .......hell my other older big tractors really require no electronics at all if you parked them on a hill at nite and repairs mean a big set of wrenches and a parts search (simple is good)......but as i age i am becoming more creature comfort oriented :)

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Here's the rundown while waiting for delivery & pics >>

KUBOTA

L3901 (37.5 hp) 3-range HST w/ cruise cntrl, 4wd and R4 Industrial Tires
LA525QA - loader with quick attach 66" bucket (skid steer)
RCR1260 - Land Pride 5' rotary cutter
BB1266 - Land Pride 66" box blade
RGR1266 - Land Pride 66" reverse cut tiller, gear drive
WC1504 - 3pt. PTO chipper 4" capacity w/4 reversible knife blades (540 rpm)
QH15 - Quick hitch (rear mount)
Sounds like a perfect tractor for you........i would recommend highly fluid filling the rear tires as it makes a huge difference in these smaller loader tractors....

this is my 20yr old ~40hp rig ~1700hrs........worth more today than what i paid for it...almost zero issues....only things i would change would be would add 3rd fuction and R4 tires (dont laugh at my self built sun/rain screen its served me well for many years)

20180921_130003 (Large).jpg

Attachments

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
That's a nice little JD and I like your hand built cover / bonnet.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Well I just ordered a 'Tractor House'........ it's a 24' x 40' Metal building with 10'x9' overhead doors at each gable end.
1 entry door with 2 windows on a side and 3 windows on the opposite side. It's 10'-0" at the eaves with a 13'-9" ridge.
Pewter Gray w/ White Trim.

It's raining outside but it might as well be 'snow' because it feels like Christmas !!!!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Well I just ordered a 'Tractor House'........ it's a 24' x 40' Metal building with 10'x9' overhead doors at each gable end.
1 entry door with 2 windows on a side and 3 windows on the opposite side. It's 10'-0" at the eaves with a 13'-9" ridge.
Pewter Gray w/ White Trim.

It's raining outside but it might as well be 'snow' because it feels like Christmas !!!!
"ordered" .........is it a pre-built roll off? ....or is it a metal kit and you do the slab and putting it up? ......if you make it a little bigger you could put in a tv n bed like Irons hunting blind and have a manshed :)........which comes first the Tractor ...or the Shed ...LOL

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
So what’d you boys pay for your toys? Inquiring minds n all...

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
So what’d you boys pay for your toys? Inquiring minds n all...
I dont mind divulging....after all costs mine set me back 53k ....bought it from a wholesaler current retail value is ~60k new would be north of 80k ........main reason for the purchase was a tax reason i will write the tractor off 100% this year and will net a 20k tax savings so in reality the real cost to me is 32k and a future tax liability should i sell and have to recoup the depreciation

fancy tractors really arnt my style but this made $ sense for me in full contex of the tax situation this year

the smaller 4500 shown above cost me 12k 9 yrs ago

Last edited:

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
So seeing this is the tractor thread and all I have had some knowledge passes of from a 95-er. Well he just had his birthday and claims he is 86 but he was 95 a year or two ago.

So I am fiddle farting around with this D4 that has a pony motor. Got the pony to spit and chuck and it runs full bore so went after the carburetor and it is still the same-O-same oh full bore so I cheated and shut it off using the fuel shut off because I have't hooked up the mag ground. When it stopped I engaged the pony to the engine twisted on the fuel hit the starter and when it came up to speed engaged the pony clutch and nothing just nothing. Tried a few more times and seen the fan just barely move.

So I know I have a rust froze motor, k I can deal with that. So off comes the tin, off comes the injector lines, and off comes noting else because I cannot figure out how to remove the injectors, seems one needs special tools. So off to Willis's shop.

Now Willis is an old coot just like me and Butch and he tells me to pop off the valve cover and find the exhaust valve that is open. Pull that injector and poor in that white vinegar. Let it sit over night or a day or two, it don't matter but he said over night should do it.

Here is why it works: When an old piece of iron has not been run for years one of them valves will be open and with this thing having an oil bath intake filter then it will be the exhaust that bleed in the moisture from the air and as it sweats the moisture will cause rust. Nothing can be done about this as it just happens. The acetic acid in the vinegar will mix with any water that might be in that cylinder and the acetic acid will go to work on the rust. Dissolves the rust enough to turn the engine over and break up the rust ring, blows all the rust and vinegar out the injector port and with diesel added to help flush blows that out also. Re assemble and give it another try.

And, I sit there going man-oh-man-oh-man I was going about it the correct way but shit did I cause a lot of work on myself, sheeeeshitzies!

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
So seeing this is the tractor thread and all I have had some knowledge passes of from a 95-er. Well he just had his birthday and claims he is 86 but he was 95 a year or two ago.

So I am fiddle farting around with this D4 that has a pony motor. Got the pony to spit and chuck and it runs full bore so went after the carburetor and it is still the same-O-same oh full bore so I cheated and shut it off using the fuel shut off because I have't hooked up the mag ground. When it stopped I engaged the pony to the engine twisted on the fuel hit the starter and when it came up to speed engaged the pony clutch and nothing just nothing. Tried a few more times and seen the fan just barely move.

So I know I have a rust froze motor, k I can deal with that. So off comes the tin, off comes the injector lines, and off comes noting else because I cannot figure out how to remove the injectors, seems one needs special tools. So off to Willis's shop.

Now Willis is an old coot just like me and Butch and he tells me to pop off the valve cover and find the exhaust valve that is open. Pull that injector and poor in that white vinegar. Let it sit over night or a day or two, it don't matter but he said over night should do it.

Here is why it works: When an old piece of iron has not been run for years one of them valves will be open and with this thing having an oil bath intake filter then it will be the exhaust that bleed in the moisture from the air and as it sweats the moisture will cause rust. Nothing can be done about this as it just happens. The acetic acid in the vinegar will mix with any water that might be in that cylinder and the acetic acid will go to work on the rust. Dissolves the rust enough to turn the engine over and break up the rust ring, blows all the rust and vinegar out the injector port and with diesel added to help flush blows that out also. Re assemble and give it another try.

And, I sit there going man-oh-man-oh-man I was going about it the correct way but shit did I cause a lot of work on myself, sheeeeshitzies!
Sounds like a good plan. I would still worry about some of that vinegar having oozed into the crankcase though.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Sounds like a good plan. I would still worry about some of that vinegar having oozed into the crankcase though.
So as we were sitting there swapping vinegar uses Willis reiterated his fight with crud in the fuel tank and I told him how I did it. Dump the fuel, wash and pull all non ferrous meaning all brass and aluminum fittings and plug with regular steel plugs. Dump in two bottles of red devil lye if the tank is 50 gal. fill with water and let it cook. Two days later dump lye out and see if there is still crud in the tank, if so repeat; it has only taken me twice with the lye. Pressure wash tank and dump in one gallon of white vinegar and swish around by rolling tank. Keep doing this for a few hours on the hour. Smell the tank and if you do not smell vinegar dump out that vinegar and put in some more. You will usually see the rust that is still in the tank come out with the vinegar but just keep swishing because you are trying to neutralize the lye with the acid. As soon as you smell a strong odor of vinegar then dump that stuff out and wash tank with all ports open. Blow out with air and set in sun if appropriate if not propane that tank blow air through it to dry and use that day.

What Willis did is he sent his tanks out and the guy cut the ends off sand blasted out the crud. Welded up the ends and sent them back, my way and the integrity of the tank stays intact.

edited to add: If you leave the lye in and put in diesel then that stuff will stick worse than the original crud so the lye hast to be neutralized and every one knows a base and an acid neutralize into a salt.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
always a treat to hear how the "old" guys got things to work.......also amazing how durable those old engines are

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
always a treat to hear how the "old" guys got things to work.......also amazing how durable those old engines are
Should have heard him talk about big ass generators....every think he knows about them bad boys is school of hard knocks.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Should have heard him talk about big ass generators....every think he knows about them bad boys is school of hard knocks.
I'd probably enjoy talking to him. I used to take care of generators on offshore production facilities, up to 350 KW and 7000 plus cubic inch natural gas powered engines.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
That JD sure looks awesome...... I'm still waiting on the arrival on my Orange Hoss.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Here's my tractor. Don't be jealous!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
That's not an airfoil? Must be a spoiler.
LOL.......it IS breakaway....and made of scraps n leftovers to keep me politically correct.....and at the speeds i go it does increase the downforce the rear tires for traction.....quite the engineering marvel all in the calculations :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
LOL.......it IS breakaway....and made of scraps n leftovers to keep me politically correct.....and at the speeds i go it does increase the downforce the rear tires for traction.....quite the engineering marvel all in the calculations :)
Ozarkatecture

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Hey guys, my TRACTOR finally arrived !!!!

IMG_0457.JPG

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
IMG_0460.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
What's one of those chipper attachments go for?
I opted for the larger 4" capacity >> $3150 after the discount.
The 3" version was $2675 ($3163 msrp)

Attachments

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Here's my tired old B8200...... not sure what my plans are for her.

Attachments

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Here's my 1st task yesterday...... unloading my own implements.... :2 thumbs up:

IMG_0459.JPG

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
FWIW - I had to learn quickly to move s-s-l-l-o-o-o-w-w-w .......that tiller started rocking a bit after sliding off the top of that platform. Needless to say it leaded out gear oil down the backside ~ kinda messy but I managed.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++