• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Farm Tractor thread

mcmurph

Seeker
Seeker

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Here's what I picked up this weekend (from the same guy who sold me the Ferguson) MF-175 :

Tractor 043.jpg

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
congrats!! a real machine. with real capabilities.....
Yes and I have high hopes for her as she's my stump-puller :bear_thumb:.......here's another pic of the business end with the type-II hitch. She runs like a champ (diesel) and turns easy with a finger or two (power steering) which makes a world of difference.

Tractor 035.jpg
*Note : pic taken at the seller's place before delivery

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You won't regret it. That was a good deal.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
You won't regret it. That was a good deal.
Yeah, I just couldn't pass it up and it has a new battery and diesel filters installed. Plus he gave me some additional new filters for later but told me to wait a few years before even thinking about changing them. In the fender compartments, I also found a few new pins he left me as well. :thumbs_up:

Now, I'll be on the hunt for various implements to help me get the heavy chores done.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Im wondering how long it will be before you sell the first tractor this second one is a whole lot more tractor for sure....

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Im wondering how long it will be before you sell the first tractor this second one is a whole lot more tractor for sure....
I was thinking along those lines. What can the Ferguson do that the MF can't do better? The MF has 3 times the power and the fuel cost is probably the same, at least if he can buy red diesel.
AD had the antique tractor bug, which I can relate to. If it were me, the Ferg would be better than a diesel for starting in the winter and plowing snow, but that's not an issue in Texas. The Ferg will be more nimble mowing around trees.

The good thing about these old tractors is that depreciation doesn't factor in. They're like gold in the safe. The resale will always be there. The maintenance shouldn't be much.

AD, if you can't get non-ethanol gasoline, close the fuel petcock when you're done and drain the gas out of the carb. There should be a drain plug and main jet on the bottom of the carb, the drain plug will be the non-adjustable hex. If not, just let it run itself out of fuel after you turn the petcock.

Zilver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Massey Ferguson 175 Power:
Drawbar (tested): 53.51 hp [39.9 kW]
PTO (tested): 63.34 hp [47.2 kW]

Steering: power assist
Brakes: mechanical disc
Cab: Open operator station

Capacity:
Fuel: 18.5 gal [70.0 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: II
Rear lift: 3,370 lbs [1528 kg]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: live (two-stage clutch)
independent
Rear RPMs: 540
Engine RPMs: 540@1700

Engine Detail:
Perkins A4.236
diesel
4-cylinder
liquid-cooled
236 ci [3.9 L]

Bore/Stroke: 3.875x5.00 inches [98 x 127 mm]
Air cleaner: dry
Compression: 16:1
Rated RPMs: 2000
Starter volts: 12
Oil capacity: 8.6 qts [8.1 L]
Coolant capacity: 13.4 qts [12.7 L]

175 Serial Numbers:
1964: 644000001
1965: 644001494
1966: 644003041
1967: 9A1000
1968: 9A39836
1969: 9A63158
1970: 9A87325
1971: 9A107597
1972: 9A128141
1973: 9A152025
1974: 9A179544
1975: 9A207681

Original price: $7,500 (1975) (USD)

Nice Tractor Argent ! :thumbs_up:

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Well, the wife thinks the 1st one is 'cute' so I'll be keeping it on standby and use it for light duty work. Perhaps someday it'll see some parade duty. They both fit in my barn with space to spare so I'm good for awhile..........besides they keep each other company ~ tractor buddies. :bear_thumb:

Tractor 039.jpg

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Whoever styled the front of the 175...I hope he got help for his drug problem...

:cool1:
:bear_grin:.........good one and just so ya know, it was designed in the mid-sixties. I plan to do some painting and detailing which will help as the silver stripes on the front grille should extend all the way back to that grey plate on both sides. Headlights will need some work as well. The later models had dual lights in the tops of the rear fenders.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Here's how it's supposed to look:

640px-Red_Massey_Ferguson_175_in_Bolton-by-Bowland,_England.jpg

RUSH2112

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Whoever styled the front of the 175...I hope he got help for his drug problem...

:cool1:
Whats wrong with the front end? You mean MF design in general?

The after-market tongue on the front isn't a bad idea at all.

Get stuck in the mud, angle off a bit, re-hook using the front tongue and your tires have a whole new, hopefully, solid surface to work with.

JustPassinThru

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Whats wrong with the front end? You mean MF design in general?

The after-market tongue on the front isn't a bad idea at all.

Get stuck in the mud, angle off a bit, re-hook using the front tongue and your tires have a whole new, hopefully, solid surface to work with.
No, I mean the styling - not the design.

It looks like someone was trying for Art Deco, while tripping on acid.

RUSH2112

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
No, I mean the styling - not the design.

It looks like someone was trying for Art Deco, while tripping on acid.
I personally would have prefered an Arts & Crafts design, Frank Loyd Wright type of design.

Just kidding, Oliver use to have some neat, stream-line looking front ends.

We use to have mostly White and Cockshutt tractors with those big chunky, honeycomb cast iron grilles, not visually appealing but the tractors got the job done. We use to custom bale for everyone, Dad on the tractor, me and my twin on the stooker. Took two of us to handle one bale of hay on the stooker, wheat straw, we could alternate handling of the bales. Our stooker was red not blue but very much similar. It was always hard to keep your balance if you were stuck on the side without the handle.

stooker.JPG

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Well, I got the plow hooked up and took it for a test run this past weekend.

IMG_0490.jpg
This is a drainage ditch (took 3 passes) that I re-trenched for runoff water to the pond (stock tank).

Here's the setup with tractor below.

IMG_0470.jpg

Eat Beef

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I'm unimpressed with your ditch. I would tell you what you did wrong, but I don't like you enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustPassinThru

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Well, I got the plow hooked up and took it for a test run this past weekend.

View attachment 50724
This is a drainage ditch (took 3 passes) that I re-trenched for runoff water to the pond (stock tank).

Here's the setup with tractor below.

View attachment 50725
Hmph. :hmpf:

I used to do ditches like that with a Gravely Rotary Plow.

Took a lot of work...a lot of stalling out...but it went through and for a lot less equipment cost.

:cheerful:

shipwreck

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Some antique photos from the 1920's or before. One shows an office with Appleton Land Co. on the window, so it may be from that town in Washington state. All except the last 2 are probably from the same area.

tractor-in-snow-1.jpg

tractor-in-snow-2.jpg

tractor-in-snow-3.jpg

horse-drawn-no-notes.jpg

C. L. Best (owned company which was precursor to Caterpillar) and others
5Men-front.jpg

5Men-back.jpg

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Here's another ditch pic after the ice storm we had this past weekend.

IMG_0508.jpg

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Here's a pic of the 5-ft. disc I picked up last week. Got it hooked up and used it to further break up my soil for the garden this spring.
Since I don't have a boom pole (yet), I had the guy place it towards the back of my trailer for tractor hook-up. It took a lot of finesse with the tractor tires just touching the back (without the gate) but I managed to lift it outta there ~ whew !

IMG_0569.jpg

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Also picked up last week, this 6-ft. beast of a box blade. I really like those teeth........should tear up the earth like a knife in butter ! :party30:
This one used an old farmer john trick - ratchet come-a-long with a chain and a large nearby tree limb to hoist her outta there.

IMG_0572.jpg

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
:cheerful: lifting things out is what a loader is for ...........be sure and keep it greased up good......my little disk like that i drag a 8' piece of telephone pole chained behind it to break up clods etc.....and if i need more weight i just set it up on the back of the disc and chain it there for more weight....

Edit: .......the pole works good behind box blades also...and rock rakes..............you do know you need a rock rake now (assuming you have rocks where you are)

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Here's another pic showing the curved blade on its backside.

IMG_0571.jpg

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
:cheerful: lifting things out is what a loader is for ...........be sure and keep it greased up good......my little disk like that i drag a 8' piece of telephone pole chained behind it to break up clods etc.....and if i need more weight i just set it up on the back of the disc and chain it there for more weight....
I'm thinking your taking about the parts where the discs rotate on the bearing surface for grease ?

Also, is that telephone pole behind the disc ? I would think it would bounce around a bit, but maybe I need to try this (I already have a spare pole that I could cut).

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
.......the pole works good behind box blades also...and rock rakes..............you do know you need a rock rake now (assuming you have rocks where you are)
Ummm......yes but not too many. My daughter and I hand picked most of the rocks out (about 4-5 buckets worth). Overall I found about 3 the size of a small melon and about 10 the size of a grapefruit. None of them are round, I'm just using a mass comparison. These are jagged, angular sandstone (I used to call them ironstone).

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
you posted the box blade while i was typing the Disk post....

yes its important to make sure the discs keep turning most have a grease zeks on the bearings

the pole will bounce around some but it will usually catch the big clods....and its handi to have if you need more weight.......i drilled mine and put two eyebolts through it for the chains....

where your at you might not need it i am betting your soils are sandy ........ours have a lot of clay in them

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
After about 3-passes in different directions, here's what it looks like.

IMG_0587.jpg

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
now whatcha gona do with the ground?:cheerful:
The short answer is to plant a vegetable garden.

I'm going to add in some compost & more topsoil for added minerals and nutrients. I really need to test the soil to check the Ph level. Also, I have plans to do some terracing. I know it looks fairly flat, but there is a gentle slope on the overall property. Next, I'll be getting lots of practice with the box blade pushing dirt around to achieve my terraced raised beds with long linear paths in between. Plans are for a 3-ft. path and a 4-ft. bed with a 7-ft. overall for each terrace. At the top end I'm going to cut in a swale to help trap rainwater like the permaculture guys do. At the bottom end will be a berm where some of the found rocks will be placed to minimize soil erosion. It's going to be a lot of work.

Any ideas on tilling and cultivating ? Would raking it help like with a chain-link section of fence ?

Hi there, when you plow your ground you need to go a different direction everytime or you will have compaction from driving in the same track, and your ground will be uneven.

As a drag to break up clods we use a piece of railroad track, it dowsnt bounce around..............;)

If you list (with a toolbar fit w shovels and shanks) your beds in following the contour of the land, your furrows will fill with water when it rains and prevent erosion. If you live in a high rain area make the forrows deep. Also, if you put the swale on the high side of your garen it will catch runoff which will soak downhill into your garden area.

We cultivate with a tiller and a good quality hoe.

I would not worry about PH if your just adding natural amendments, it generally will take care of itself. I would think since your starting with native grass you might not have to fertilize your ground the first yr and there should be adequate nutrients to get a fine crop. I would fert starting this fall, by spreading manure then plowing in to mellow over the winter.

good luck

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Here's a quick sketch of what I'm trying to accomplish:

Garden Plan.jpg

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
A few years ago a hobby farmer east of Austin told me the state or county had a program where they paid you to terrace your own land. I don't believe much in gummit programs, but since you're already paying for it one way or another, it might not hurt to find out if you can get reimbursed.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
looks pretty good......

FWIW.....considerations to keep critters out of your garden should be started early

corn will be very hard to get a good return on such a small plot unless you have great critter control it seems everything likes corn

this first year if it were mine ........i would probably rig up a drag.....for me i would just hook a piece of chainlink fence behind my telephone pole piece......your box blade will smooth things out good but it wont break up clods as well..

do a soil test.....get the PH right for sure......then for me i would disk in horse manure and the appropriate amount of Lime ASAP and let it season......soil test again......then fertilize to spec when planting

do you get a lot of moisture where your at?

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
.....do you get a lot of moisture where your at?
We should get some in the spring to early summer, but after June things dry up a lot. My region used to be labeled as semi-arid so water retention is key.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
We should get some in the spring to early summer, but after June things dry up a lot. My region used to be labeled as semi-arid so water retention is key.
then you will need a mulching plan....since any cultivating will cost you lots of moisture

one of the best mulching systems i have seen was i had a employee that collected left over carpet strips he used for mulching....worked great held moisture great and stifled weed growth....

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I gotta ask why carpet. Is there no natural mulch around?

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
each mulch type has pros n cons .....

carpet
easy to put down and take up.....12' strips.....
is superior at.......retaining moisture.......and weed prevention
is free as scraps
works good to prevent melon ground contact rotting
potatoes will grow under it ....making for no digging harvesting

...for example......straw/hay mulch......does not retain moisture as well.....is susceptible to blowing away.......slows but does not prevent weed growth (can actually promote weed growth in some cases)...takes longer to place.....since it goes into the soil (acidic) your soil will require more lime ....does add roughage content to soils for following year....requires periodic maintenance

i am assuming you don't do much gardening?

Last edited:

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Only had a garden every year since I can remember.
We don't use mulch at all.
Never grew a melon bigger than 2 inchs either.
Potatoes grow great here though.
Peanuts don't got enough time.
The idea of carpet just threw me is all.
Different areas require different methods so I asked.