• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Farmer Facts

BarnacleBob

Exoriare aliquis nostris ex ossibus ultor
Founding Member
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
No younger family members to take over ???? :don't    know2:cry:

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
No younger family members to take over ???? :don't    know2:cry:

Very few even want to try. It's a crap job where most of them don't make money. They have to be very good in a lot of area's to be successful and then you get to the biggest problem. None of those left have any capital to make a go with anything decent.

Also, those demographics are pretty much identical across most jobs, because Boomers.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Very few even want to try. It's a crap job where most of them don't make money. They have to be very good in a lot of area's to be successful and then you get to the biggest problem. None of those left have any capital to make a go with anything decent.
The Amish seem to do quite well.

Maybe it's time to consider their methods and lifestyle. I don't mean holy-rolling, or stupid beards, or ugly clothes on wombynz; but minimal expense on equipment; and equitable pooling of capital, by community. You can do almost as much with an old Ford 8N as you can with a horse team. Barn raising would be doable as a community...just bring beer instead of mincmeat pies.

I don't have their faith, but their morality - that is, respect for hard work, and moral absolutes, and a life grounded in the soil - those could make it work.

Of course, you can't do it alone. By yourself, you become a plaything of the Banksters...and now, the de-facto leasing agents of John Deere.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The Amish seem to do quite well.

Maybe it's time to consider their methods and lifestyle. I don't mean holy-rolling, or stupid beards, or ugly clothes on wombynz; but minimal expense on equipment; and equitable pooling of capital, by community. You can do almost as much with an old Ford 8N as you can with a horse team. Barn raising would be doable as a community...just bring beer instead of mincmeat pies.

I don't have their faith, but their morality - that is, respect for hard work, and moral absolutes, and a life grounded in the soil - those could make it work.

Of course, you can't do it alone. By yourself, you become a plaything of the Banksters...and now, the de-facto leasing agents of John Deere.

The Amish shun insurance and most do not do loans/bankers. They are doing well around here and that is probably going to surge as the Western way falls apart.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Also, those demographics are pretty much identical across most jobs, because Boomers.
Thank you fed gov controls !!!! :totally steamed:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The Amish shun insurance and most do not do loans/bankers. They are doing well around here and that is probably going to surge as the Western way falls apart.
They are not afraid to work. :2 thumbs up::finished:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
A good team of horses can plow 12 acres a day. An old 8N cant do near that on a good day.

Im in a shit mood, so here we go..................................... I am sososo fucking tired of your pussy ass bitching about EVERY fucking thing casey jones.

When you were looking for a cheap house, I tried to help you numerous times, and I really would have. But no, your rather sit there and project your bullshit on the community at large, than to take charge of your life and turn it around.

if anyone wants to ban me for my rant, go ahead. I really dont give a fuck, this place will be gone soon anyway.

Last edited:

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
A good team of horses can plow 12 acres a day. An old 8N cant do near that on a good day.
Well then, get the horses.

It's obvious the ginormous computer-controlled John Deere ain't paying for itself. It's obvious what's being done, isn't working.

It's also obvious that I wasn't bitching on this thread.

Sorry you're feeling grumpy.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
What do you base that ridiculious statement on. How much farming have you done while you were sitting on your fat ass on a train?

Please enlighten us oh greatone...............

you bitch all the fucking time. yourr so accustomed to hearing yourself squack you dont even recognize it anymore.

We have a name for guys like you around here, a couple actually 'fucking windbag'.......and 'all hat no cattle'.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
in my opinion that clip is BS .......... age isnt a issue in farming ........the issue in farming is capital and input costs .....just think cost of land ..equipment ...fert....seed....storage....insurance...etc... its not a business that works well for young startups .....and carries huge weather risks

because of tax laws its hard to pass farms down the family efficiently or sell lands without huge tax implications so land gets rented etc

but labor wise.........there is a flood of brown laborers available

our local FFA/4H chapters are full of young potential farmers but most end up raising 2 goats in the backyard due to land etc costs

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
My cousin has a huge farm now. Family throughout the generations carefully leased/rented and expanded with money saved.

I just don’t see how someone could start out from scratch to get such a farm today. He of course can trace the original farm to great-great something grandfather homesteading.

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Indoor farming is probably the future. Not for staple crops but many other foods could be grown indoors and close to the end destination...maybe very close, like attached to a grocery store. Computers, robotics and led lighting will make farming something anyone can do.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Avoid banks, loans, debt.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Indoor farming is probably the future. Not for staple crops but many other foods could be grown indoors and close to the end destination...maybe very close, like attached to a grocery store. Computers, robotics and led lighting will make farming something anyone can do.

I somewhat agree but that's even more capital intensive.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

I disagree, you cannot purchase $1 mm Combines & $600,000 tractors if your losing $$$... Most of the farmers I know do quite well and most of them only farm part time....

rhettro

Reaction score
Well then, get the horses.

It's obvious the ginormous computer-controlled John Deere ain't paying for itself. It's obvious what's being done, isn't working.

It's also obvious that I wasn't bitching on this thread.

Sorry you're feeling grumpy.
When they moved to western kansas they were killing horses because of the heat during wheat harvest. They had a meeting and bought tractors. Practical

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
What do you base that ridiculious statement on. How much farming have you done while you were sitting on your fat ass on a train?

Please enlighten us oh greatone...............

you bitch all the fucking time. yourr so accustomed to hearing yourself squack you dont even recognize it anymore.

We have a name for guys like you around here, a couple actually 'fucking windbag'.......and 'all hat no cattle'.
I've done no farming.

But in Portage and Geauga counties in Ohio; in Chautauqua County, NY; and in numerous Pennsylvania areas...I watched the Amish prosper. In good times and bad. They were on buying sprees and expanding in the Carter years, and again in the Farm-Aid period.

They're doing something that WORKS, whereas all these foreclosed farmers...well, I don't need to be a farmer to judge that foreclosure and auction of equipment, is failure.

Now, why the lashing out at me? If you hate the Amish, you have plenty of company. That doesn't change reality.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I disagree, you cannot purchase $1 mm Combines & $600,000 tractors if your losing $$$... Most of the farmers I know do quite well and most of them only farm part time....

Big revenues and Big expenses. What are they paying tax on each year? Do they potentially end up with a large business, possibly. Most are leveraged to the hilt and those fancy machines disappear quickly. But there are some successful ones and they will make big money. No doubt.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I've done no farming.

But in Portage and Geauga counties in Ohio; in Chautauqua County, NY; and in numerous Pennsylvania areas...I watched the Amish prosper. In good times and bad. They were on buying sprees and expanding in the Carter years, and again in the Farm-Aid period.

They're doing something that WORKS, whereas all these foreclosed farmers...well, I don't need to be a farmer to judge that foreclosure and auction of equipment, is failure.

Now, why the lashing out at me? If you hate the Amish, you have plenty of company. That doesn't change reality.

Work hard and stay out of debt. Pretty simple equation. Also helps they don't pay SSN tax, or insurance fees.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Big revenues and Big expenses. What are they paying tax on each year? Do they potentially end up with a large business, possibly. Most are leveraged to the hilt and those fancy machines disappear quickly. But there are some successful ones and they will make big money. No doubt.

Tell ya what I've seen in our area, farmers are selling off most of their livestock & retiring... they keep a few cows around along with a tractor or two, with hay bailers, etc... but they quit, sell off most of their land too... to old to continue.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
What is this claim that the Amish are tax-exempt?

I never heard of a real-estate tax that exempted Amish. Only church and religious/educational/Non-Profit operations.

Income is similarly taxable. If they do cash business and don't report it, that's not the same as being legally exempt.

Nor have I heard of a FICA exemption to the Amish.

Now, I can see them not buying insurance...THAT, I understand.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
Tell ya what I've seen in our area, farmers are selling off most of their livestock & retiring... they keep a few cows around along with a tractor or two, with hay bailers, etc... but they quit, sell off most of their land too... to old to continue.
Beef is cheep now as many herds are being thinned or sold off before winter due to costly feed and low forages due to drought...beef in the store is high no telling what it will go to this winter....beef farmers are struggling to make ends meet as the store price increases are not flowing back to farmer

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
With optimal weather conditions, low moisture wheat and ample offloading of a combine (grain cart, semi/trailers and the largest combine), you can harvest around 240 acres a day for wheat.

Pencil out say 60 bushels an acre X 240 acres = 14,400 bushels X $6.00 a bushel = $86,400. Of course, USDA farm program payments can probably be added to that. See! If you do not have major capital upfront for land, machinery, etc, you cannot farm. Interest rates for farmland and operating loans may be low right now, but will eventually change.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
What is this claim that the Amish are tax-exempt?

I never heard of a real-estate tax that exempted Amish. Only church and religious/educational/Non-Profit operations.

Income is similarly taxable. If they do cash business and don't report it, that's not the same as being legally exempt.

Nor have I heard of a FICA exemption to the Amish.

Now, I can see them not buying insurance...THAT, I understand.

Because they strongly objected to insurance, which includes Social Security Insurance. They stood up for their rights a long time ago and won an exemption. This is probably biased but right from the SSN.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The basis is-.30 With good protein over 14% and moisture under 16%, a truckload (1k bu) can expect to bring about 8.90/bu.

:beer:

"they" never give you the cash price.

Cost basis vary everyday and location to location. Some places will offer way under spot prices at times and then at other times they will offer over the spot prices. All because they want the actual physical goods. If they are really getting low they hike their bids. Very much like your local LCS and your AGE or whatever.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Okay.

I didn't know that. And I don't know how it's allowed to stand - an exemption for certain favored groups, but not others.

Property and income taxes remain, however.

It's still pretty much voluntary, just a pain in the ass if you opt out. They stood up for their beliefs. The fact that they got a religious exemption instead of a more broad Freedom exemption sucks but they just decided it was too little to worry about.