• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Fasting for Survival

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
This is most probably one of the best videos I've seen regarding diet and fasting, taking into account the amount of information per time-unit transferred.

Do you want to stay younger longer, decrease your chances of having a disease like type-2, alzheimer's, coronary, improve your general wellbeing and health?

It costs virtually nothing.

The video is 'long' but works at 1.25. If you don't want to spend 01:20:58 getting a major leg up, just don't watch it.

Videos by Jason Fung are also very good.

There are other members whom also fast so shoot with any questions.

I've started intermitted fasting about 3 years ago and up-to-now have done six, 7 day fasts, currently in day 4 of fast #7, where it gets really interesting.

What I currently enjoy most about fasting is the feeling of mental clarity and energy from day 3 onwards.

If you regularly consume carbohydrates then I'd suggest cutting carbs for a few days before starting a fast.

Golden Regards
Uncle

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
My longest fast is 35 days. I have done a few 20-25 days also. It gives me the confidence to know I can go a month without food in an emergency, and how to do it safely.

Refeeding is a subject to itself.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What better way to prepare for food shortages or SHTF than to fast and stretch your food out even longer.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
My longest fast is 35 days. I have done a few 20-25 days also. It gives me the confidence to know I can go a month without food in an emergency, and how to do it safely.

Thirty-five days is quite an achievement, especially a mental one.

I've had no issues re-feeding but then longest I've done is only 7, and that is quite easy.

I just get tired of water, even with adding some marginal flavors eventually, but I suppose there is a way around that as well.

Golden Regards
Uncle

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I fast daily - between meals...

jokes aside, I only eat 1 meal a day - evening

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
How do you get past the millions of year old mechanism that shuts your metabolism down to protect you from starvation?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I went 11 days on cocaine and whiskey once it went like shit.

Jus sayin'.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do you get past the millions of year old mechanism that shuts your metabolism down to protect you from starvation?
Fat adaption. If you’re burning ketones already before a fast, nothing really changes other than you don’t have to deal with food intake, you just continue burning stored fat. And even the world’s tip top elite ultra marathoner runners have a significant amount of calories in body fat available to them for a fast.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Interesting. I did some fasting in the early 2010s and now I have wheat, nut and dairy allergies.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

The good doctor touches on metabolism in the video. Fasting actually up-regulates the metabolism.

He also explains why adequate vitamin D levels are required for your DNA to express more fully and that every meal influences your DNA expression. "You are what you eat" seems to be true.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Last edited:

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Interesting. I did some fasting in the early 2010s and now I have wheat, nut and dairy allergies.

Why are you consuming wheat and diary?

Golden Regards
Uncle

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
You guys do the fasting while I watch. Let me know how it turns out!

1632399253297.png

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Try it at least once, or twice Shooty. Shoot for 4 days.

Perhaps then you'll understand. Until then, you won't.

Golden Regards
Uncle

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Try it at least once, or twice Shooty. Shoot for 4 days.

Perhaps then you'll understand. Until then, you won't.

Golden Regards
Uncle
Uncle, I shall consider it!

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
No. I like food. and lots of it.

think "dwarf at a hobbit table"

I can scarf an entire large pizza, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms and black olives

One of my epic achievements was the night of the meatloaf........ate the entire crockpot meatloaf and potatoes......plus 2 dilly bars

I have 3 free steaks, smallest was the 96 oz

Can't eat a whole moose

yet

hardmoney

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I think a great compromise is intermittant fasting. Eat whatever you want only once or twice per day. Key thing is that you are reducing the amount of time you are flooding your system with insulin.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The good doctor touches on metabolism in the video. Fasting actually up-regulates the metabolism.

Golden Regards
Uncle
"Fasting actually up-regulates the metabolism" but calorie restricted diets demonstrably and provably don't. Millions of years of evolution has developed mechanisms in the survivors of the evolution that reliably reduces caloric consumption (metabolism) in the presence of starvation. It makes sense and is the reason that most diets fail. I honestly don't understand how self administered calorie restriction can circumvent the mechanism in some cases but not in others.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
My favorite Guru who who predicted the pandemic a year before it happened and has been spot on about everything said we better get used to fasting now :(

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
After doing Keto I can say the results are very impressive. I eventually got to the point where I only did 1 meal a day and was never hungry. Cravings for carbs and sugars no longer exist. Energy levels are through the roof and mental clarity is amazing. There were even days when I just forgot to eat. I don't know why it works but it does. I haven't done any long term fasting but probably will.. I am off keto right now but starting back up within the next week. IMO you do need to time it so day 3 you have nothing to do. Day 3 is a bitch. It's really the day your body gets off carbs and starts burning fat and ketones I guess. The only reason I mention the Keto diet is because I think it's a great way to start a fast. Switch to the keto diet first then to longer term fasting. You won't be having any food craving anyway.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Fasting actually up-regulates the metabolism" but calorie restricted diets demonstrably and provably don't. Millions of years of evolution has developed mechanisms in the survivors of the evolution that reliably reduces caloric consumption (metabolism) in the presence of starvation. It makes sense and is the reason that most diets fail. I honestly don't understand how self administered calorie restriction can circumvent the mechanism in some cases but not in others.
It’s not calorie restriction. When you are fat adapted you burn the calories you’ve stored as body fat/adipose tissue. Fasting really has nothing to do with calorie restriction. The only difference is you aren‘t burning food you are actively consuming but you are burning the fuel you have stored from previous consumption.
Now you don’t want to eat a whole pizza and a half gallon of ice cream and then start your fast, that will be painful and prone to failure. But if you go low carb or better yet, keto, and thereby switch to burning ketones instead of glucose for your fuel, you’ll have little problem fasting for 24 hours or even longer, much longer if so desired.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

I had to stop listening to Miles Davis to find this again. Only 4 min.

There is a link below the video to the longer version.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Man, I thought that I don't really like to eat but that's impressive. I've never really tested myself in this manner.