• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Fed-EX is a mess

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Fed- ex messed up my SD bullion delivery. The driver has taken my package to the wrong house for three days in a row. I have no idea whose house he is going to but its not me or my neighbors. Its not the address on the box. I have made 8 calls trying to straighten it out. I have gotten nowhere. He just attempted delivery at the wrong house again. At least no one there has signed for it. I have always been hesitant to order anything involving Fed ex because this is not the first cluster I have experienced with them. However after seeing they have absolutely no order or process for dealing with errors I wont use them again. One phone call with the driver three days ago could have fixed this. Either he is not getting the messages from Fedex or he is ignoring them. Not good either way.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Pick up at FedEx office instead?

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Pick up at FedEx office instead?
I'm going to. The problem is they put it on the truck early in the morning and it stays on there till after 9 pm. I have to drive to Raleigh to pick it up. They don't deliver Sat so Ill go then. The communication is so horrible I can not even stop them from loading it on the truck. I have never seen such poor communication in a company before. It appears they can't or wont contact the driver to tell him he keeps going to the wrong house or he ignores it if they do. Ill have to find another way to get orders or find a company that uses UPS.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Tell JMBullion to not use them?

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'm going to. The problem is they put it on the truck early in the morning and it stays on there till after 9 pm. I have to drive to Raleigh to pick it up. They don't deliver Sat so Ill go then. The communication is so horrible I can not even stop them from loading it on the truck. I have never seen such poor communication in a company before. It appears they can't or wont contact the driver to tell him he keeps going to the wrong house or he ignores it if they do. Ill have to find another way to get orders or find a company that uses UPS.

I will say that we had some problems with Fed-Ex but they got it fixed after one call. The driver couldn't seem to figure out that this downtown office had two doors and would always put our packages downstairs. It was usually not a big deal but I also order from SD a couple months ago.

Well they tried to deliver one day and said the business was closed. I called the number and let them know there are 4 suites to the building and 2 stairwells. Well I just happened to see the driver coming the next day and was down by the mailbox but the driver was heading right to the second door. The phone call guy did ask what was in the package and I was hesitant to say. Well apparently it was "stone decor" which would have been good to know.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Back when I lived where no PM dealer would set up shop - the land I was writing about - back then, UPS and Federal Express (as it was known, then) took their work seriously. "Woke" was what drivers were after their lunch-hour nap.

I had ordered about six times from Kitco; and never, EVER did I have an issue. Some of those orders were big, too. I sweated bullets, but every one of them came as promised, and handled safely the whole time.

If I were just starting out, or increasing my stacks due to windfall...and had to depend on these shippers in our Idiocracy age...I don't know what I'd do.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have always had good luck with both UPS and FedEx.

But I live in a developed, First World neighborhood.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe FEDEX is not contacting their driver on the road. I am beginning to wonder if they are and he is ignoring them. I'm also wondering if my package is intact and that is why he not delivering it. Ill find out.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
This is just another reason why cash and carry at a coin show or LCS is what I prefer.
I did that for years till withdrawing large sums of money became a issue. This has cured me. Ill go back to buying local.

Densus

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Do they have a drop off option? I know Amazon gives me the option to pick up packages at advance auto parts store.

chris_is_here

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Avalon, for stuff like this, I use a remailer. $10 a month and let them worry about it.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Fed-ex- as Federal as the Federal Reserve.

wastrel

tongue firmly in cheek
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In some areas, the driver delivering for FedEx isn't a FedEx employee, but a contractor hired by FedEx for that area. This might explain why the driver doesn't get the message via FedEx. Or the contractor is just hiring idiots.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
In some areas, the driver delivering for FedEx isn't a FedEx employee, but a contractor hired by FedEx for that area. This might explain why the driver doesn't get the message via FedEx. Or the contractor is just hiring idiots.
Just read, where 35% of contractors, delivering for FedEx are bankrupt. Rising costs (fuel, etc) turned their bottom line red. FedEx executives will not increase compensation for delivering packages.

WQFTruckster

Jolliest asshole this side of the nuthouse
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have no idea if this is 100% factual, but it was explained to me by a friend (who works for UPS) that FedEx, unlike UPS, does not actually employ drivers. They contract it out to the lowest bidder. So basically they don’t communicate directly to the drivers, and even if they did, the drivers don’t care. I have several similar horror stories with FedEx. They have about a 50% successful delivery rate for me. If I have any choice I will not use them. UPS has always been great for me. Not perfect, but they seem to be able to actually solve problems like this.

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
FedEx/TNT over here are guns, they are the only outfit I use for my outbound freight.

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I think it's mostly a local issue with the companies. Where I live, UPS and fedex are pretty good and DHL is terrible. People in other places have really good service from DHL.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
I like APMEX and they use the post office.

Our guy knows us and we always get the mail

They are supposed to make us sign for it but he never does, just goes in the box

APMEX says if you don’t sign, the claim fight is between the post office and APMEX

shallow_explorer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
My APMEX rep told me that they only ship USPS and UPS. Their losses on FedEx were too high.

shallow_explorer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

keepitlow

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
Same thing here OP. Some crazy Black kid swearing to himself as he delivered. Looks like FedX got rid of him. Post Office is also very bad. Not a lot of full times there. They only hire part timers so they don't have to pay benefits.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
We have multiple rural addresses ....one comes up on FedEx gps down a hill on our property out in the woods....the drive goes right by the house by a sign on a open gate with a entry warning sign and purple paint....down a trail ...down a steep gravel hill trail....to a creek in the woods... normally requires 4wd to be passable...yep several times FedEx attempts the delivery...no clue how they get back up the loose gravel hill....but never lost a package with them.....yet

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I have no idea if this is 100% factual, but it was explained to me by a friend (who works for UPS) that FedEx, unlike UPS, does not actually employ drivers. They contract it out to the lowest bidder. So basically they don’t communicate directly to the drivers, and even if they did, the drivers don’t care. I have several similar horror stories with FedEx. They have about a 50% successful delivery rate for me. If I have any choice I will not use them. UPS has always been great for me. Not perfect, but they seem to be able to actually solve problems like this.
That sounds about right. Fed-ex was about 50 percent success rate for me too. I was hesitant to use JD bullion because of that. I had three flawless deliveries and now this. I suspect the three good deliveries were due to the contracted driver. She knew the area and seemed professional. It appears this driver simply ignored messages. I'm heading to Raleigh this morning to pick it up. Hopefully its there.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
We have multiple rural addresses ....one comes up on FedEx gps down a hill on our property out in the woods....the drive goes right by the house by a sign on a open gate with a entry warning sign and purple paint....down a trail ...down a steep gravel hill trail....to a creek in the woods... normally requires 4wd to be passable...yep several times FedEx attempts the delivery...no clue how they get back up the loose gravel hill....but never lost a package with them.....yet
We have a death hill too. If a truck steps off the gravel they get stuck.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I like APMEX and they use the post office.

Our guy knows us and we always get the mail

They are supposed to make us sign for it but he never does, just goes in the box

APMEX says if you don’t sign, the claim fight is between the post office and APMEX
There is a free delivery with USPS with JD bullion but I haven't used it. I have a rural mailbox and things have been stolen from it. I do have a PO Box. Maybe they will deliver to that. I sure miss my deceased LCD. :(

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
More FedEx nonsense. I called to make sure my package was at the Raleigh office since it was a such a long drive. The Rep I talked to told me I could not go pick it up unless it was "cleared" first. She told me she would call me and let me know if she could get it cleared. I said no way and went to pick it up without top secret clearance. The store was busy. They only had two workers and one was training. It took about a half hour but I got my package. The clerk was over worked but trying very hard. I have no idea what the clearance nonsense was about nor have I received a phone call back with the required clearance . My conclusion is around here FedEx has no way to resolve any issues that are not on the algorithm in the computer. I don't mind a company making mistakes it happens. However if they have no system to resolve those errors than I wont deal with them again.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Glad you got your pkg.

Uglytruth

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Just read, where 35% of contractors, delivering for FedEx are bankrupt. Rising costs (fuel, etc) turned their bottom line red. FedEx executives will not increase compensation for delivering packages.
Friend had a van & delivered every day. Gas went up & they paid even less for deliverys. He quit. He was getting paid less than $10 hr after expenses.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
There is a free delivery with USPS with JD bullion but I haven't used it. I have a rural mailbox and things have been stolen from it. I do have a PO Box. Maybe they will deliver to that. I sure miss my deceased LCD. :(
APMEX is free shipping on $199 and up

I stack 1 Oz GAE so no issue

They do have free shipping and discount codes. I added “simply codes” to my iPad browser so it flag coupons anytime I’m buying something. Not 100% current but for 10 extra seconds around 70% of the time there’s a deal

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Me too..
Glad you got your pkg.
Me too. I was stuck home for four days waiting on it. It was like lockdown all over again. When I picked up my order today I realized how horribly understaffed FedEx is. No wonder no one ever returned my calls. Also God has a way of reminding me how little my problems really are. My order was important to me but I meet a lady in line at FedEx who had much more pressing issues. They screwed her delivery up too. She was trying to pick up a critical medication that cost around 15,000 dollars and was needed immediately. They could not find her package and called a Manager in to try and locate it. The Clerk was very caring and concerned about her medicine in spite of being so busy. It was nice to see that.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Me too..

Me too. I was stuck home for four days waiting on it. It was like lockdown all over again. When I picked up my order today I realized how horribly understaffed FedEx is. No wonder no one ever returned my calls. Also God has a way of reminding me how little my problems really are. My order was important to me but I meet a lady in line at FedEx who had much more pressing issues. They screwed her delivery up too. She was trying to pick up a critical medication that cost around 15,000 dollars and was needed immediately. They could not find her package and called a Manager in to try and locate it. The Clerk was very caring and concerned about her medicine in spite of being so busy. It was nice to see that.

I remember hearing something last summer that the local FedEx was trying to hire dozens of people but only got 1 application. Not sure if that's true or not but wouldn't surprise me.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Is there any spare room in one of your warehouses?
I really want to go off grid. Just disappear or as close to it as you can these days.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I really want to go off grid. Just disappear or as close to it as you can these days.

This place is available.

1662902673735.jpeg

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
There is a major difference. UPS is still a union shop and pays ridiculously well. That brings its own problems but they will have more and longer tenured staff. Fedex drivers are independent and not a union shop. Which is better, well neither are very impressive.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
There is a major difference. UPS is still a union shop and pays ridiculously well. That brings its own problems but they will have more and longer tenured staff. Fedex drivers are independent and not a union shop. Which is better, well neither are very impressive.
maybe neither is impressive but when you have created a situation where you can not contact or drivers or they have the option of ignoring the calls its not functioning anymore.