• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Fed-EX is a mess

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
FedEx - when it absolutely positively has to maybe come overnight and undamaged

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Fed- ex messed up my SD bullion delivery. The driver has taken my package to the wrong house for three days in a row. I have no idea whose house he is going to but its not me or my neighbors. Its not the address on the box. I have made 8 calls trying to straighten it out. I have gotten nowhere. He just attempted delivery at the wrong house again. At least no one there has signed for it. I have always been hesitant to order anything involving Fed ex because this is not the first cluster I have experienced with them. However after seeing they have absolutely no order or process for dealing with errors I wont use them again. One phone call with the driver three days ago could have fixed this. Either he is not getting the messages from Fedex or he is ignoring them. Not good either way.
In the last two years I've had multiple fedex packages arrive at my house that did not have my address on them. Mostly I just dropped them off to other people in the neighborhood rather than deal with their system for lost objects.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
FedEx - when it absolutely, positively, has to be shipped...well, better than the Post Office, anyway.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Y'all read what Ensoniq wrote again. Emphasis added.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
In the last two years I've had multiple fedex packages arrive at my house that did not have my address on them. Mostly I just dropped them off to other people in the neighborhood rather than deal with their system for lost objects.
yup and even though it was a signature package I had visions of my package being left at the house he kept going to. I have never had them check ID when I sign until yesterday at the FeEx office.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
FedEx - when it absolutely, positively, has to be shipped...well, better than the Post Office, anyway.
Speaking of shipping...
Here's one for Casey.
Just noticed the other day that the railroad bridge by the ocean to ocean bridge will be 100 years old next year.
IMG_20220911_141156.jpg

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
There's a lot of them out there.

Although they are getting more scarce. Axle loads have essentially doubled since WWII. If you're in a small rail yard out in the sticks, or a railroad museum...look at the freight cars of the 1900-1950 era. Those were the first all-steel cars, and standard sized.

Round about the late 1950s, the bigger boxcars came to be; followed by bigger covered hoppers for grain; and then those ginormous auto racks. Used to be that draft gear (couplers) were rigidly bolted to cars. Still are, in a few cases. But these longer cars, sometimes heavier, have their trucks slid inboard from the end of the car, and that effects geometry in curves. So they have pivoting drawbars - and in the case of auto racks, spring-loaded in-and-out-action drawbars.

Couple them up to an older standard-size boxcar, and you'll have something unhook or break, first sharp curve you come to. There's actually a compatibility list, a long one. Certain series of cars are not permitted over certain stretches of rail. Certain others cannot be coupled to any but other kinds of cars, compatible with both old and new drawbars.

A royal PITA for crews.

But...bridges. The existing, century-old bridges had to be beefed up. AND, surfaced. Used to be they'd just bolt crossties to the lattice of the bottom bridgework, and spike down the rails. Look down...you can see way down between the ties.

Used to be. Used to be there were running boards on the top of boxcars and other rail cars. Used to be a brakeman had to have a sure footing, because he'd be walking that train, and not always when it was stopped.

The Westinghouse air brake, stopped the need for brakemen to walk the train and "dress" cars (apply brakes by hand); but the running boards stayed up there (and were used) until the mid-1970s. Then, liability claims after injuries, had railroads take them off - and FORBID climbing to the tops of cars. Now it's not only not done, it's not permitted.

So, when a trainman has to walk his train (because of an issue somewhere in it) he has to use the GROUND.

Walking on those old bridges was IMPOSSIBLE. At first, bridge maintainers welded grated catwalks on the bridges, so a crewman could walk it. BUT...if you found your problem ON the bridge, the problem remained. You had to get to where the knuckle broke or air line separated, and that meant doing an ironworker's dance on the latticework.

So, with time, bridges got a base, and had ballast planted, and crossties set in the ballast, just as on the ground.

That all adds MORE weight. And that means, the bridge has to be beefed up MORE.

Often it's cheaper to just replace it. Right here, 180 miles from me, is a long bridge over Lake Pend Oreille. As a new employee of a contractor to the Burlington Northern, I had to do rail-testing over that bridge, which had no surfacing. Getting out of our hi-rail truck, and onto the bridge, and onto a suspected trouble stretch of rail...was the job of an acrobat, one who didn't hate heights or water.

The BNSF is now replacing that bridge. It was given a surfacing long after I'd gone on to Conrail; and now the century-old bridge is just being rebuilt by a new structure.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
This rail bridge runs next to the ocean to ocean bridge connecting California to Arizona.
Railroad bridge is Probably owned by the railroad?
So they won't have to get the two states to agree on what would need to done when it needs a facelift.

I know the train slows down on that stretch, in Arizona it goes by the territorial prison across the bridge swings left into California on the Indian reservation.

The bridge spans over the Colorado river.
Can you imagine what red tape involved with California if a paint chip or drip fell in the water during a touchup.

Last edited:

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
New trial logo ;)

1852171F-BBA2-41F4-BA96-85FD39CC26A8.jpeg

Uglytruth

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Speaking of shipping...
Here's one for Casey.
Just noticed the other day that the railroad bridge by the ocean to ocean bridge will be 100 years old next year.
View attachment 272939
Funny it's lasted so long yet our car bridges all seem to need rebuilt every 5-10 years......... Not saying anything but coughpayoffscough

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
This rail bridge runs next to the ocean to ocean bridge connecting California to Arizona.
So they won't have to get the two states to agree on what would need to done when it needs a facelift.

I know the train slows down on that stretch, in Arizona it goes by the territorial prison across the bridge swings left into California on the Indian reservation.

The bridge spans over the Colorado river.
Can you imagine what red tape involved with California if a paint chip or drip fell in the water during a touchup.
It would depend on the history of the line.

Rail lines, in general, belong to the rail company that operates them. They pay local real-estate taxes on them, and it gets quite convoluted. But it's an immense amount of money, generally. Some states, some areas, some lines, were given tax-exempt status - to get them built or prevent them from being ripped out.

The bridges, generally, belong to the railroad also. BUT. If it's a secondary line, it could be that one state or the other, took possession of the line, and the railroad pays user fees. This, to keep service on the line, when it's otherwise not cost-effective. Amtrak, also, owns the Northeast Corridor - although freight trains run on it, too.

You even have leasing agreements. Montana Rail Link, a regional line, was sold by the Burlington Northern to Dennis Washington, a local businessman, back in 1987. Had he not offered to buy it, it would have been ripped out - along with the Milwaukee Road line that paralleled it, which was pulled out in 1976. Decreased freight, and labor troubles, brought that to the brink.

Washington created a company, Rail Link, to run the line; but he LEASED the roadbed. I'm not sure whether the rails on them were sold or are part of the rental - and that's a considerable value and expense. Doesn't matter, because the Big New Santa Fe, wants Rail Link back. They bought back the lease, paying Washington, who's in his late 80s, a few billion to break the lease; and now they are awaiting Surface Transportation rulings to just re-absorb Rail Link operations.

Other areas have similar leases - one rail company leases, or allows "trackage rights," to another company.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Funny it's lasted so long yet our car bridges all seem to need rebuilt every 5-10 years......... Not saying anything but coughpayoffscough
It's perfectly logical.

Old-School railroad bridges had NOTHING to trap or retain water. They had no flooring. Just the latticework, and the ties, and the rails. Cold meant nothing to them - it could snow, and the snow could sit on the ties and rails until a train dusted them off.

A highway...is kept open winters by dumping copious amounts of salt on it. Salt is killer on concrete - it slowly permeates it, gets to the rebar, causes spalling and breakuup. Meantime, the briny runoff is splattered on, or dripped onto, critical bridge structures. Especially the feet and pivot points that hold it up.

Inside of fifteen years, there need be major repairs. And in most Woke cities and counties, none is forthcoming. Moar fun to give money to agitators and cronies.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score

They are doing a lot of work in the nearby interstate.
The Interstate has been there for 40 years.
They look to be shoring up areas of the interstate and working on the side rail concrete.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
FedEx used to be primo. I’ve experienced delays these past few years too. Not sure what all happened but disappointing. UPS is usually good…until they destroy a package and deliver it anyway….via drop and run without even ringing the doorbell.

Used to be that some FedEx packages would get dropped at local post office for final delivery…so perhaps that was the issue?

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Does he come with the property?. Get your mind out of the gutter Viking. He looks like he could chop some wood.

Probably use explosives to take down trees, if he could.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to. The problem is they put it on the truck early in the morning and it stays on there till after 9 pm. I have to drive to Raleigh to pick it up. They don't deliver Sat so Ill go then. The communication is so horrible I can not even stop them from loading it on the truck. I have never seen such poor communication in a company before. It appears they can't or wont contact the driver to tell him he keeps going to the wrong house or he ignores it if they do. Ill have to find another way to get orders or find a company that uses UPS.

Sounds like a local coordination issue. Within fedex.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I would think the easiest way to resolve this, is just file a claim for lost goods.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's perfectly logical.

Old-School railroad bridges had NOTHING to trap or retain water. They had no flooring. Just the latticework, and the ties, and the rails. Cold meant nothing to them - it could snow, and the snow could sit on the ties and rails until a train dusted them off.

A highway...is kept open winters by dumping copious amounts of salt on it. Salt is killer on concrete - it slowly permeates it, gets to the rebar, causes spalling and breakuup. Meantime, the briny runoff is splattered on, or dripped onto, critical bridge structures. Especially the feet and pivot points that hold it up.

Inside of fifteen years, there need be major repairs. And in most Woke cities and counties, none is forthcoming. Moar fun to give money to agitators and cronies.

Drainage problems are the bain of roadbeds. Be it railroad or highway. The railroads typically design their stuff to perform money-making tasks. Government builds the others.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Drainage problems are the bain of roadbeds. Be it railroad or highway. The railroads typically design their stuff to perform money-making tasks. Government builds the others.
That's on the ground.

Not - in the past - with bridges.

Now, of course, with the open structure replaced by a trough filled with ballast...it would be a problem. But, for those century-old bridges, some of which haven't been given a modern surfacing...no problem. Yet.

There IS a problem, not mentioned - PAINT. Those bridges were painted with lead-based paint when built, and in maintenance, up until lead-based paint was outlawed.

Now...can't use the paints, lead-based or with solvent thinner (bad for the air, you know). Can't SAND OFF the lead-based paint, not with ELABORATE recovery equipment. Not cost effective.

So many of these bridges are just left to rust. Cheaper to replace them; but...a lot of times, what leads to replacement, is, catastrophic failure.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
It appears FedX is in trouble. I don't think this is the first time they had economic issues. Could it be related to their horrible service in part? I talked to a friend of mine who lives across town. He had the same experience. They claimed they could not find his house and no one was home for delivery. He lives in the middle of town so that is more unlikely. I guess the drivers deliver a few packages and when they get tired they claim no one is home and take them back to the warehouse. I feel lucky I got my package at all. I looked at buying local and silver maples were 4 dollars higher than online. I really want to buy local so Ill keep searching.

Last edited:

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I found a LCD doing sliver maples for $28.00. Thats close enough to online to not have to deal with delivery.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
FEDEX delivery in my area is not too bad, if the regular route driver delivers the route. When a relief driver delivers the route, packages are left at the wrong locations.

I stick with USPS. Locals deliver the routes and they have a formal delivery system.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
FEDEX delivery in my area is not too bad, if the regular route driver delivers the route. When a relief driver delivers the route, packages are left at the wrong locations.

I stick with USPS. Locals deliver the routes and they have a formal delivery system.
FedX here has always been a problem. Its been that way for many years. We did briefly have a responsible, regular driver for a year and then she left. Now its back to being useless again.

Uglytruth

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
:rotf: Inclement weather but it was 75 degrees out. FedEx has shot themselves in the foot. I will not order anything using them again.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
:rotf: Inclement weather but it was 75 degrees out. FedEx has shot themselves in the foot. I will not order anything using them again.

I feel like all major corporations have just blown themselves apart. They have treated customers like crap for short term gains. Nothing left and their prorection via wall street is falling apart.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I feel like all major corporations have just blown themselves apart. They have treated customers like crap for short term gains. Nothing left and their prorection via wall street is falling apart.
This is the Crony-Corporate Era. Customers no longer MATTER. Government connections matter.

Who gets the business, is determined by government regulators and government contracts...basically, by who government favors. The consumer gets Hobson's Choice. You no want a battery car, or a car that shuts itself off at stoplights? DEAL WITH IT.

You no like the poor engineering of the new cars from Government Motors? Too bad...Toyota has to pay a 30-percent "Chicken Tax" on imported trucks; and the EPA and ESG governments, make it difficult to make them, here. So Toyota either pays that crushing tariff, or the crushing costs in opening an American plant. And NOTHING happens until palms are greased.

In this world, poor service doesn't even enter into the equation.

chris_is_here

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I do not use any of the private carriers anymore, after I found out that they can (and often do) legally open parcels for inspection at any point in the delivery chain. This is an invitation to employee theft and an invasion of our privacy rights. USPS, by contrast, cannot legally open mail unless they suspect illegal activity AND get a warrant. If you are ordering anything like ammo, gun parts, etc., be very wary of FedEx, DHL, and UPS.