• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

FerFal & Others On Preps, Survival & Other Related Topics

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The Lone Wolf Survivalist
Canadian Prepper

Published on Feb 13, 2018
I discuss the pros and cons of being a lone wolf survivaist or prepper.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Kidnapped in El Salvador, captured and released, still alive ‍♂️
Bone Tactical

Streamed live on Feb 14, 2018

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
IT'S ALL DESIGNED TO TRANSFER YOUR LIFE & WEALTH TO THE ELITE | Derrick Michael Reid
Reluctant Preppers

Published on Feb 14, 2018
HAS YOUR GUT BEEN TELLING YOU the world has either gone mad, or THE SYSTEM IS RIGGED AGAINST YOU, the ordinary person? What if someone could pull back the veil and confirm that IT'S ALL REAL, YOU'VE BEEN RIGHT, and your gut feeling makes perfect sense? Not often do you encounter someone who has the sweeping expertise & penetrating analytical capacity to connect all the dots of our public world's ills and DRAW A CRYSTAL CLEAR CONCLUSION to reveal where all this is headed, and what we can do about it.

Derrick Michael Reid B.S.E.E., J.D., Libertarian, US Senate Candidate, Electronic Engineer, Patent Lawyer, Military Scientist, Market Analyst, and Geopolitical Analyst, joins Reluctant Preppers for this HARD-HITTING INTERVIEW, to cut through the facades, dispel the fog and denial, & unmask the hard reality you've instinctively sensed might be lurking behind our upside-down modern world. Reid proceeds to offer a glimpse of his proposal for a SEAMLESS SURVIVAL PLAN that can restore our Post-Constitutional Republic to sanity, and preserve our well being as people who deserve to survive and thrive in freedom.

You'll feel like leaping out of your seat cheering to hear such forceful, clear-headed straight talk that we've been agonizingly missing until now! YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU WATCHED THIS IMPORTANT EXPOSE - AND YOU'LL DEFINITELY WANT TO SHARE IT!

Find Derrick Michael Reid online: Libereens@yahoo.com

==================================
Get Silver at SPOT PRICE and Support ReluctantPreppers!
https://www.SDBullion.com/RP

Donate to Support ReluctantPreppers!
https://www.Patreon.com/ReluctantPrep...
or
https://www.paypal.me/ReluctantPreppers
==================

Subscribe (it's FREE!) to Reluctant Preppers for more ► http://bit.ly/Subscribe-Free

Channel graphics by http://JosiahJohnsonStudios.com
Promotion by http://FinanceAndLiberty.com

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Florida: No One Wants to Talk About this...
Canadian Prepper

Published on Feb 15, 2018
My thoughts on the Florida tragedy, my condolences for all those impacted.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The Pendulum - Part One - Retreat to High Ground

by Cognitive Dissonance
Mon, 02/19/2018 - 09:51

By High Desert

Missing in the mix of hundreds of bug-out stories is a forth right and candid self appraisal of lessons learned containing practical experience along with deep humility and honest self examination. High Desert expressed a willingness to share his and his wife’s adventure with TwoIceFloes and we eagerly embraced the opportunity to post his story as a three part series. - Cognitive Dissonance

It was the summer of 2011, and for all practical purposes it was smooth sailing. My wife and I often commented to each other how drama and stress free our lives had become. Unfortunately we were blissfully unaware of the squall line rapidly approaching from behind.

The epiphany struck us like a bolt out of the blue. But rather than providing clarity and calm, this profound revelation was a violent tempest. The following six years brought dramatic shifts to our belief systems, state of mind, living conditions and more – dramatically swinging the pendulum back and forth before finally compelling us to seek balance and peace of mind.

We were not significantly affected by the financial crash a couple years prior (2008-09) partly because we both had home-based businesses in niche markets which provided a lower middle-class income. But a more important factor was our lack of debt. Not one to “keep up with the neighbors”, we lived comfortably but always within our means.

We had previously paid off the mortgage, both of us owned older used vehicles and we never charged purchases we couldn’t afford to pay off at the end of each month. We had some meager investments, but fortunately years earlier we had moved into the right neighborhood. Meaning over the years, our neighborhood had evolved into one of the hottest residential markets in the Metro area.

Most of our disposable income (along with a lot of sweat-equity) was spent modernizing our home. Essentially we considered our primary residence to be our own private 401(k) plan. In addition, we owned a small cabin on twenty six acres of land where we planned to eventually retire. Our son was about to graduate from high school with honors and was (still is) a delight to spend time with. Our state of mind at the time was one of light, love and abundance.

Our life-changing insight came about due to boredom. Purposely not caught up in the rat-race of Western civilization and long term self-employed, we had a fair amount of free time to pursue other interests. Being introverts, we devoted most evenings to home activities. Usually my wife would conduct research for her book publishing business. And I, usually brain-dead from working on the computer all day, would zone out and watch some streaming TV.

Not one to watch just any old dung produced for the masses, it didn’t take me long to burn through every decent movie and documentary out there. By then, total boredom had me reconsidering my second and third string watch lists, desperate for quality entertainment. For some inexplicable reason I had placed a documentary in my queue which I had blown past on numerous occasions as not interesting enough to watch. But, just as inexplicably, I had never deleted it.

One overly warm summer night in 2011 I cranked up the central A/C, retreated to the family room and decided to finally watch “Collapse” by Michael Ruppert. That documentary was my red pill moment. Even after watching it twice in a row, I found it difficult to believe what I was only now beginning to understand.

On the one hand, the truths presented in the documentary were 180 degrees out of sync with my core belief systems. On the other, I knew deep down I had been living in the make believe world of the Matrix. When I convinced my wife to take a break and watch it with me, it only took one viewing for her to recognize the truth as presented. It was truly an epiphany for both of us, although not of the type one would usually classify as such.

Our life was about to change in ways we could not imagine. And change again and again as we rode the swinging pendulum back and forth, totally out of balance. We’d been through a lot during our many years of marriage, but we had no idea what lay before us. Waking up so suddenly and always one for self-directed action, all hell was about to break loose.

As we began to absorb our new understanding about how the world really works, my wife and I began to work out how to deal with the events we knew for certain were just around the corner. We devoted the next few months to exhaustively researching who, what, when, where and why.

Although I intuitively knew the new reality as presented was correct, I needed to convince myself I wasn’t just being stupid. After all, what did I really know about manipulated financial markets, mono-agriculture, fiat currency, systemic corruption and more importantly, what to do when all the complex systems began to collapse due to their inherent chaos.

The red pill had done its job in providing the initial jolt, but we were now strangers in a foreign land. Our initial reaction was to shelter in place as it were, maybe stock up on some supplies, install a wood stove (totally illegal where we lived) build a small greenhouse in our very small backyard and perhaps get some stun guns and mace for personal defense.

My wife’s primary concern was food. How would she feed our family if the grocery stores closed? My primary concern was our personal safety. Somehow I needed to defend the castle and loved ones against the “golden horde”, a new term picked up during my research. After all, we lived in a big city with neighbors literally twelve feet away on either side.

What happened next was quite odd. We woke up one morning, rolled over to face each other and simultaneously said “we have to get out of the city.” This is no little thing to accomplish. We owned our home, two businesses and our son was still in high school. Where would we go and what do we need that place to be?

Our research went into overdrive.

One thought was to make our cabin the bug-out location. We even began to stock long-term food there. However the cabin was old, the well was of poor quality and so was the soil. And unfortunately that gorgeous view of the city lights down the mountain meant those in the city could see us.

Additionally, the only usable flat land was at the end of the driveway right next to the cabin. How would we house other family members and close friends in a small cabin with no room to park an RV or several vehicles? We began to wonder if there was a better place out there, but still within driving distance of the city.

Is there a gear higher than overdrive? You know, the gear that allows you to simultaneously get a house (or two) ready for sale, research every real estate website for hours each day, close down an active publishing business and figure out what and when to tell your teenage child his world was about to be rock and rolled.

As is the case with nearly everyone else, our life was a bit complicated. My wife has a special-needs brother who requires lots of attention and supervision. At that time my father was 90 and needed more and more care. We were both in our 50’s and I was in the midst of a long recovery from a two year stretch of multiple surgeries after an accident.

Even at the age of 50, and nearly 30 years after completing my “Thank You for Your Service” gig, I still thought of myself as that 19-year-old airborne infantryman, naively fearless and invincible. I was capable of anything, including living forever. The accident I was recovering from was my first warning that life-long beliefs could quickly be shattered. It gave me a new perspective to the old saying “things can change in an instant.”

With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, if ever there was a legitimate plea for temporary insanity we hereby stake our claim. Although our approach was in its entirety logical, we fell into a “desperate measures for desperate times” mentality, driven by fear and panic. It was not a balanced approach by any measure.

We finally decided it was impossible to deal with all of this simultaneously. We put the cabin up for sale “as is”, though we would not put much effort into selling it since it remained our Plan B. After months of fruitless searching for the ideal retreat, the cabin oscillated between being Plan B and Plan A. Our choice in that matter would soon be forcibly removed; more on that subject later.

Trying to accomplish all of the above during the day, at night I would explore new concepts such as The Long Emergency, The Fourth Turning, the sixth mass extinction event and so much more including all the right things a survival retreat should encompass. My wife dedicated her evenings to researching every potential retreat property for sale in the state. Because of the situation with her brother, my father and our son, the new place had to be within a day’s drive of our family.

She developed an efficient web search system to quickly eliminate unsuitable properties. Several ‘needs’ were non-negotiable parameters: water well, septic, acreage, somewhat remote, buildings in good condition. Even with those restrictions, there were plenty of options. It was critically important to check the oil/gas/fracking permits issued for the area of each property we had an interest in.

We knew from first-hand experience property owners in our state have ZERO rights if someone else owns the mineral rights and wants to exploit them. This issue alone eliminated entire sections of the state. My wife also researched the water well permit for each potential property to determine the age of the well, its depth, flow rate, source of water and so on. This constraint eliminated a fair number of properties. Without a good source of water, nothing else matters.

We discussed the remaining properties and applied our secondary list of wants and needs. How many people could the property support? Can we actually grow food there? Was it already off-grid? My wife would show me ten properties and I’d quickly eliminate them because of population density or other security related concerns. I would show her ten properties and she would rule them out due to altitude (hard to grow food above the timberline) distance from family or the condition of the buildings.

Our largest constraint was our refusal to take on a mortgage. We knew we could get a good price for our home in the city; the entire state was (and continues to be) in an ever-expanding housing bubble. But rural didn’t necessarily equate to inexpensive in this state.

It was all a bit overwhelming. Couldn’t we please, please, just go back to a life of blissful ignorance? Unfortunately it was too late to ask for the Blue Pill.

Compounding our difficulties (as with so many other people who suddenly wake up) we thought it was our duty to enlighten our friends and family of the coming perils. For anyone who has tried to do so, I don’t need to explain how poorly it went. Since we believed doomsday was just around the corner, we opted instead to buy/build the retreat and assume they would come.

After almost a year of searching online and physically examining properties, we were growing increasingly anxious to move forward. Our primary residence was ready to go on the market, my father had passed away, my wife’s publishing business had been sold and we’d already had that heart to heart conversation with our son.

At eighteen years of age and with his entire life ahead of him, he wanted no part of moving to a remote location to become a homesteader. We respected his decision, although during the initial conversation he accused us of abandoning him. Ultimately we all worked together to make sure he could continue on his path until things fell apart, either with his plans or the world.

In the summer of 2012 we all took a weekend off to stay in a small town and visit a top candidate for the new retreat. In so many ways the property was perfect. Nearly new structures surrounded by public lands, already set up for off-grid living, just a few full-time neighbors (but not too close) and plenty of flat land. We made a good offer.

The following week was filled with buyer’s remorse. Would we have any money left from the sale of our home? Was the retreat too remote? Were we really ready to change our entire lifestyle and take on such a large project? That Thursday we decided the best thing to do was forget the whole thing. We would move into our cabin and make the best of it.

But nature was set to intervene.

On Friday, a massive wildfire started near our cabin. By Saturday, our time to commit to the realty contract would expire; we had to make a final decision. While sitting in a hotel room to avoid an open house weekend at our primary residence, we watched updates on the expanding fire and realized there was very little chance our cabin would survive. It would turn out to be one of the most destructive wildfires our state ever experienced. It was also the second property we’ve lost to wildfire.

It seemed some unseen force was guiding us to the new retreat. It must be fate. It must be our destiny.

The following five years proved to be the biggest challenge we ever faced. We were on a mission to save ourselves, family and friends. How could so many things go so terribly wrong?

All this and more will be covered in part two of this three part series.

02/19/2018

High Desert

Lots of original work available exclusively on my Patreon blog. For as little as $3 a month you can support my creative work and access all content.

Please consider doing so at https://www.patreon.com/CognitiveDissonance

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-19/pendulum-part-one-retreat-high-ground

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
An Honest Conversation On Mass Shootings in America - Gear Tasting Radio 53
ITS Tactical / Imminent Threat Solutions

Published on Feb 20, 2018
While we always try to keep the tone of Gear Tasting Radio somewhat light, this week we wanted to have an honest conversation about the mass shootings that continue to dominate the news cycles in the United States. This is a charged issue for many people, but we attempted to discuss the root causes of these events and how we believe they can be deterred in the future.

These events aren’t black and white issues that can be solved with a single action, but multi-faceted problems that will require open and honest dialogue between all of us.

Episode Intel
FEMA Info on Run/Hide/Fight - http://bit.ly/2EV8Ziv
Can We Apply Israeli Principles and Protect our Loved Ones? - http://bit.ly/2oiAatc
How to Maintain Your Situational Awareness - http://bit.ly/2y2KcGx
Why You Should Sit Facing the Door - http://bit.ly/2xjkaKJ
Running a DIY Home Security Assessment - http://bit.ly/2EFzglr

Support us on Patreon! ➝ http://patreon.com/itstactical

While you may want to view the video each week on YouTube, please consider subscribing here on Apple Podcasts and leaving a review to tell us what you think. ➝ http://apple.co/2kHG8l6

Pick up your Official Gear Tasting Coffee Mug in the ITS Store! → http://bit.ly/1YgSRHP

To have your gear related question answered on an upcoming episode, tweet us using the poundtag #GearTasting on Twitter.
--
In each episode of Gear Tasting Radio, we offer an in-depth look into the usage and philosophy behind the equipment in our lives.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
After the Collapse: Mobs, Riots, Looting, Kangaroo Courts
Canadian Prepper

Published on Feb 21, 2018
In this video explore the realm of crowd psychology in the context of a post-collapse SHTF environment. How to navigate mobs, riots, looting and kangaroo courts...

Watch the full After the Collapse series here

Support the channel here

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Weekly Wrap Up
The Prepared Mind

Published on Feb 24, 2018
My weekly question, are things getting better or do you feel we are moving closer to SHTF?

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The Pendulum – Part Two - Hard Work, Bad Luck and Murphy’s Law

by Cognitive Dissonance
Sun, 02/25/2018 - 09:20

By High Desert

Missing in the mix of hundreds of bug-out stories is a forthright and candid self appraisal of lessons learned containing practical experience along with deep humility and honest self examination. High Desert expressed a willingness to share his and his wife’s adventure with TwoIceFloes and we eagerly embraced the opportunity to post his story as a three part series. Below is presented Part Two. – Cognitive Dissonance

In Part One of The Pendulum I (editor - High Desert speaking) described our red pill experience which transformed our life of blissful ignorance to one initially of fear and anxiety and later of drive and determination. Our awakening was sudden and shocking, and not something that developed slowly over the course of many years.

It was a rapid and deep immersion, a brutally cold realization what we had always believed in, of why and how the world works as it does, was in fact an externally induced false reality. We will always remember that initial sick-to-the-stomach feeling when we realized we’d been had, followed soon after by a spine tingling fear.

What we had stumbled upon was a coordinated and manipulated illusion intentionally perpetrated by those who do not have our best interest at heart and who benefit from our ignorance. Conditioned from birth to believe untruths, half truths and at times everything but the truth, the impulse to flee immediately was nearly overwhelming.

But we did not.

During the following 12-16 months we carefully and methodically worked through the issues involved with reorganizing our lives in order to leave the big city and embark on a mission to save ourselves from what we were certain at that time was just around the corner. We were on a mission. The truth of imminent economic and social collapse was, from our perspective, glaringly self evident.

In retrospect we had no idea the powers that be would, or even could, utilize extreme measures to keep the illusion going for so long. Nor did we expect nearly everyone else to remain ignorant of their own precarious situation. My hunch is the powers that be intend to extend and pretend for as long as they can, or at least until there is nothing left to steal or profitably control.

Like Beverly Hillbillies in reverse, we packed up the truck and left all the comforts and conveniences of the big city to become off-grid homesteaders. After a year of extensive searching, we bought what we believed was the best survival retreat considering the self imposed limitations we placed upon our search. We wanted to remain relatively close to our teenage son, who did not follow us to the retreat because he was about to graduate from high school, and my wife’s special needs brother.

Our homestead was located nearly three hours from the nearest big city, with acreage bordered on two sides by extensive public lands. The home and outbuildings were modern and well constructed, the five year old drilled well productive and the electrical system completely off-grid utilizing a very expensive full-blown solar (photoelectric) power system.

The downside was the high altitude (7,500 ft) with the homestead and surrounding area situated on a high desert plateau…hence my pen name. These particular conditions are not something you’d normally expect to find in the Rocky Mountains. Our new retreat came complete with rattlesnakes, scorpions, tarantulas, cacti, tumbleweeds and a never ending supply of micro-fine dust.

For a couple of near senior citizens, we managed to accomplish a great deal during our time there. I focused on the mechanical components of self sufficient living, including the projects and supplies needed to make the place as self contained as possible. My wife concentrated on doing what everyone else said was impossible, growing food in the high desert. We were both very successful considering we had very little assistance and the learning curve was steep.

In addition to the daily and weekly tasks required of those who live off grid, our first big project was to deer-fence in about half an acre where we built raised planting beds and planted apple trees. Within a few years we had created well-established beds of strawberries, raspberries, asparagus and more. The apple trees would take a few years longer to produce.

As part of our all season self sufficiency plan, we built an 18’ x 40’ commercial grade passive solar greenhouse. Our intention was to make it large enough so neighbors could also utilize the three season growing space. However, with a grocery store an hour away and nearly all still immersed in factory food thinking, our neighbors didn’t wish to be bothered with walking or driving the quarter mile to our place to grow their own food.

Our high desert greenhouse with the sun shade partially deployed.

In addition to the outlying gardens and greenhouse, we built numerous water trough gardens and placed many growing bags on the expansive north and south decks of the house. We soon harvested an abundance of tomatoes, chard, carrots, potatoes, and herbs. You name it and my wife grew it, although it was impossible to do so according to everyone in the area. They had all tried once, failed and given up.

For my part, in addition to the greenhouse I converted a large metal building into a fully insulated and heated work shop. We installed a wood fired boiler in the house along with a large on-demand water heater as a backup to the propane furnace and water heater. I added independent solar electric systems to the shop and the greenhouse, adding a small amount of redundancy to the overall electrical system.

Anyone who has lived the homesteading life knows the to-do lists are endless and ever changing. There was never a dull moment and our lives were full and productive. At the end of each day, along with the physical exhaustion, we both felt a sense of pride and accomplishment. However, along with all the labor intensive successes came more than our fair share of difficulties.

In my experience, unexpected difficulties and disasters usually stem from acts of nature, our own actions or in-actions, the actions or in-actions of others and plain old bad luck along with Murphy’s Law. Sometimes s**t just happens. Our time at the homestead would offer up a multitude of challenges from the above list of causes.

As a prelude, our stay at the homestead included periods without water, without power, broken equipment (again and again) and fighting off a constant onslaught of rodents. From the neighbors we encountered a suicide, a sexual predator, psychosis bordering on clinical insanity and a lawsuit over easements.

Although we made one good friend on the mountain and another in the small town nearby, for the most part the people here were as backwards as they come. Many were openly bigoted, simple-minded and definitely not open to new ideas since their truth was the only truth. Several were ‘preppers’ of one genre or another. If their ideas of how the world should be rebuilt are the only options available after a systemic collapse, I would rather be among the first casualties.

This article would turn into a book if I went into any degree of detail regarding the good, the bad and the ugly we experienced during our four plus years at the homestead. With this in mind I shall only touch on the highlights, since my intention is not to dissuade anyone from following the same path.

This article is not a warning of “don’t try this at home kids.” There may be, and probably are, many who made a similar move and now live a happy and productive life. We were not among them because after moving from one altered state of consciousness to its polar opposite, we found ourselves terribly out of balance with the world and each other. Ultimately this three-part article is not about off-grid homesteading, but about finding balance in a chaotic and at times frightening world.

So let the chaos begin!

Some resident ravens letting us know who's the boss.

The preface of things to come began with an introduction to an adjoining neighbor. He showed up at our place around ten in the morning already thoroughly drunk. Apparently he and his wife drank throughout the day until they fought and passed out at night.

While you can research a physical location pretty thoroughly, discovering the quality and character of the neighbors is darn near impossible without someone already on the ground feeding you this information. The previous owner and realtor certainly won’t inform you there’s a drunk living next door. And while knocking on doors in a town or city might elicit some useful information, doing so in such a remote location might produce only a gun in the face.

At that point you’re not a neighbor, just a nosy and unwanted outsider. At the risk of painting with too broad a brush, somepreppers’ and other remote (off-grid) homesteaders tend to be somewhat suspicious and socially disaffected and do not take kindly to (city) strangers showing up on their doorstep asking all kinds of questions.

While it is strongly advised you make some type of effort to learn the lay of the land, ultimately you take what you get and learn to live with it. Neighbors are like in-laws, they come with the territory. Trust me; they feel the same way about you.

Six months later (and in the dead of winter) our drunken neighbor decided to commit suicide, leaving us and the surrounding neighbors with his widowed wife along with their four horses and four dogs to tend to. The wife went into total breakdown mode. It was basically a full-time job for my wife and I until some of the widow’s household responsibilities could be delegated to others several weeks later. This was a disaster caused by the actions of someone else.

While some might think it wasn’t our responsibility to help the widow out, when disaster of any type hits a (very) small community, everyone steps up and pitches in. It is particularly important for the new kids on the block to participate since this is when your measure is taken by the community. Your absence will be noticed much more than your participation will be acknowledged.

Regardless of whether or not this was true in our situation, the horses and dogs were essentially innocent bystanders and did not deserve to suffer because their owner killed himself in a drunken stupor.

Next up was the well. Humans can only survive a few days without water. As outlined in Part One, my wife created an efficient system for researching potential retreat locations. This included investigating the water well permit, not only for the property in question, but also for the surrounding properties.

Although the new retreat was at high altitude and on the desert side of a valley, it had an awesome well by any measure. Only five years old, it wasn’t terribly deep by mountain standards but still produced twelve gallons a minute. Some of the neighbor’s wells were even better.

What we didn’t take into consideration was the fact our state was on the tail-end of an extended drought. What held true five years ago when the well was drilled was no longer relevant. We should have had the well refresh rate tested before purchasing. But based on the initial well permit, the neighbor’s wells, the remote location and the short time period between our offer and actual purchase, we did not. My bad! A major difficulty was about to manifest due to my own inaction and Mother Nature.

It was mid-summer, only a year after moving to the retreat, when the well went dry. In the now six years since it was drilled, the static water level had dropped from 75 feet down to 180 feet, the level of the submersible pump itself. Fortunately we had already installed a 500 gallon water tank as a backup, but we still had to make several trips into town with another large tank to transport water back home until the well was repaired.

When there's no well, where there's a will there's a way.

Having the well re-drilled to a depth of over 500 feet, then extending the submersible pump down to that depth, took a week and cost over $11,000. The take away lesson from all this is not to make assumptions with something as important as your source of water, regardless of the documentation presented by the seller or researched by you. Assume it is a life and death situation and act accordingly.

The same applies to complex mechanical systems you have little working knowledge of. As previously mentioned, the retreat was originally designed and built to be entirely off-grid. It utilized top-of-the-line solar panels, charge controllers, inverters and specialized storage batteries. When initially inspected during our first walkabout, it all appeared in good shape and functioning well.

While I had a basic understanding of how it all worked, I most certainly was not well-versed in the particulars. I was about to get an expensive education. The more complex a system, the more things can go wrong, especially if such the system is not properly maintained.

In order for a photoelectric system to work, all the components (and more) must be properly operating. If one element fails, the entire system goes down. Naturally, our introductory lesson to this stark reality came in the middle of a Friday night. While only four years old, therefore newer than the entire system, one of the power inverters fried, shutting down the entire household’s electrical system.

Because it was now the weekend, whatever parts we needed to order would not ship out until the following Monday…assuming I could properly diagnose the problem. A new inverter was insanely expensive, but the manufacturer sold rebuild-kits for significantly less. With years of experience building dozens of computers from component parts, I opted to go this route.

The inverter parts arrived later that week. I rebuilt the inverter and we were back online after almost a week of down time. Thankfully we had the whole-house backup generator running as needed during the week, so no perishables were lost. I’m glad I took the time to learn how to rebuild the inverter because before our time at the retreat was over, the inverter would fry again.

Since I mentioned the whole-house backup generator, I might as well bring up the fact we needed to replace it…twice. The original generator was only five years old. But as with all newer generators, it contained an electronic control board and a dozen sensors and safety regulators.

One day the generator started, but then immediately shut down. Repeated efforts to get it to run continuously failed. After replacing the motherboard and several other components to no avail, I gave up and replaced it with an expensive Cummins-Onan generator. At least our back up power source was working again.

About a week after the gutted off-grid use warranty expired, so did the new generator. Most whole house generators have severely reduced warranties when installed in an off grid location, even if it is only used as a backup power source. The new generator sucked a valve and the engine needed to be replaced.

Between the freight and rebuild costs, it was cheaper just to buy a new generator of a different brand. Is it just me, or does it seem like most things today are intentionally designed and manufactured to break down shortly after the warranty period? Since I can’t really blame the generator breakdowns on anyone else directly, I’ll chalk this one up to bad luck and Murphy’s Law.

Among all the challenges we faced (and I’m only covering a few of the more severe events in this article) there were two in particular that could be considered the straws that broke the camel’s back. Both were caused by the actions of others, but in two very different ways.

An off-grid solar electric system is only as good as its solar batteries. The battery storage sub-system provides electrical power at night and on cloudy days. Apparently the previous owner had not only abused the batteries by using an electric clothes dryer and sauna, but the batteries were not properly configured or maintained and began to fail.

My wife and I still assumed things would begin to collapse at any time, so replacing the batteries became a priority. Like re-drilling the well, this wound up being an $11,000 expense. A quality high capacity battery bank is quite expensive. Rebuilding the inverters, replacing the generators and now the batteries; this had turned into a never-ending and very expensive battle to maintain our off grid electrical power system.

Dead soldiers. Such a terrible and expensive waste.

To explain the next situation I needed my wife’s permission to write about it since it directly concerned her. The short version is that upon our move to the retreat, one of our new neighbors had befriended us and would often visit. He was a man of impressive stature; former law enforcement, retired and married, he and his wife had no qualms proclaiming their devotion to Christianity.

About a year or so before we decided to leave the retreat, my wife informed me our neighbor had begun spending a lot of time grooming her to have an affair. He was very good at it and in light of what we came to know about his history, it became clear he was probably a life-long sexual predator.

The only reason I bring this up is because recent headlines and scandals prove this is not an isolated occurrence. Obviously his behavior put a permanent wedge between me and this friend. Worse, it terrified my wife. She no longer felt safe, and I knew I could never count on this individual if things did hit the fan.

Unlike all the other problems we encountered, this was not a fix or repair situation other than to banish him from the house and property. In a town or city, breaking from one neighbor is not as big a deal as when it is done within a small community of neighbors.

They say all politics are local. And this is a perfect example how personal relationships in a small community are often political in nature. Rarely is there ever a win-win situation with these delicate circumstances, especially when there is very little normal about any of the neighbors.

Speaking of rodents and other such pests, the wild rabbits were never much of a problem. We rather enjoyed getting to know the various bunny families. But I most definitely cannot say the same for the mice, chipmunks and packrats. They were everywhere, into everything, and seemed to be unstoppable. I had built the greenhouse to be rodent proof and finally got it right after the third major modification.

After repairing the chewed wires in our vehicles a couple of times and constantly setting traps in the interiors, the thrill was completely gone. At the end, I even started to lose my love for the rabbits after they began to build huge tunnel networks underneath the concrete slab of the shop. I fully expected to see additional cracks develop each time I pulled a vehicle in for maintenance.

The lawsuit never had my love either. It was a rude awakening into how insane the legal system has become. In essence, one of the non-resident property owners had purchased her property without a clearly defined legal ingress and egress. She was ‘told’ what her easements were, but such was not defined in her deed or any of the adjoining neighbor’s deeds. There simply was not any legally defined access to her property.

She should have filed suit against the Realtor and title company. Instead she sued us and two other neighbors whose property allegedly contained her claimed historical easement. Incredibly, she demanded the right to put a thirty foot wide road through all our properties which would run smack dab in front of an existing home.

You would think the fact such an easement did not exist in county records or in anyone’s deed would be the end of it. Not in today’s world. As insane as her claims and demands were, we had no choice but to hire a specialized attorney. The lawsuit dragged on for over a year. It was the last significant and unexpected expense we were willing to deal with.

While we proved our resilience and determination throughout our time at the retreat, it had taken a huge toll on us individually and as a couple. We paid the price physically, emotionally and spiritually. The red pill moment had changed us. The nearly five years of turmoil transformed us into people we no longer recognized.

For us, the pendulum had swung from one side all the way to the opposite. The situation was not sustainable and we were on the verge of collapse long before the world began its own spiraling descent.

Part three of this article describes how our experiences at the homestead once again changed our state of mind, our belief system and threatened our very sanity. Had we not long ago developed the ability to recognize when our emotions, beliefs and mind had become so off balance our very survival as a couple (and as individuals) was at stake, this story would have had a very different ending.

As it always does, Mother Nature demands balance. And ultimately she has the last word on the subject. The only question is, were we willing to listen?

02/25/2018

High Desert

Lots of original work available exclusively on my Patreon blog. For as little as $3 a month you can support my creative work and access all content.

Please consider doing so at https://www.patreon.com/CognitiveDissonance

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-25/pendulum-part-two-hard-work-bad-luck-and-murphys-law

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Do you think race would be a factor in SHTF as it is in prison? - Prison Talk 14.7
Fresh Out- Life After The Penitentiary

Published on Feb 26, 2018
In 2017 we collaborated with The Canadian Prepper. He had several questions regarding Prison and Prisoners in a doomsday type scenario. In this mini series you will get Big Herc's take on what life would be like in a Doomsday Scenario.

Question 6:
Do you think race would be a factor in SHTF as it is in prison? That is, do you think that if society collapsed that people would organize themselves along racial lines as they do in prison? Why do you think people organize into groups on the basis of race in prison?

Tune in to find out what Big Herc has to say about this!

Check out The Canadian Prepper's channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/Canadian...

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Preparing for 2020: Man VS Machines
Canadian Prepper

Published on Feb 27, 2018
Will artificial intelligence destroy the human race or empower it? What will the world be like in 2020? What new technology will emerge that will be at odds with the off-grid mentality, all this and more in todays video.

Reminds me of a tune..............

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
ARE YOUR ACCOUNTS REALLY YOURS? | Lynette Zang
Reluctant Preppers

Published on Feb 28, 2018
(Recorded 2/27/18)

Popular financial data maven Lynette Zang, Chief Market Strategist at ITM Trading, returns to Reluctant Preppers to dive deeper into the DROPOFF CLIFF of INTER-BANK LENDING and why it offers us a CRITICAL SIGNAL of BANKING LOSS of TRUST. Zang answers viewer questions on WHO REALLY OWNS YOUR ACCOUNTS, whether the government FDIC insurance offers any real protection, and WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT while there's still time!

--------

UPDATE ON: INTER-BANK LENDING DROPPED OFF A CLIFF Jan 3, 2018!
Signal that BANKS ARE NOT TRUSTING EACH OTHER ANY LONGER! Last major dip in 2005 foreshadowed both a real estate collapse and the 2008 banking collapse..

FED TOOK DOWN INTER-BANK LENDING CHART following our last broadcast- They've got a pattern when the true data doesn't support their propaganda narrative. They either:
1) REDEFINE the data (CPI, unemployment, etc)
or
2) DISCONTINUE data that reveals the real risks!

- DO YOU REALLY OWN YOUR IRA, 401-K, brokerage, money market or savings accounts?

- And... HOW SAFE ARE FDIC insured saving accounts?

-THE CONFIDENCE GAME: WE’VE SEEN THIS BEFORE:
2015 Swiss CB pegged Swiss Franc to Euro, to avert looming debt default crisis of borrowers unable to pay back in stronger Francs. Peg was promised to be committed, then they broke it 2 days later: banks learned they can’t trust each other...

- Correlation of Japanese Yen vs Gold, compared to USD or other fiat vs gold...

- COORDINATED MONEY DEVALUATION by all the central banks (US, EU, Japan) , each claiming they’ve stopped diluting the money supply, BUT THE TRUTH IS...

WHO BENEFITS & WHO SUFFERS when the fiat debt-based money system collapses?

LYNETTE’S URBAN FARMING UPDATE: converting an in-ground swimming pool into aquaponic floating forests integrated with vertical gardens!

==================
or
==================

Subscribe (it's FREE!) to Reluctant Preppers for more ► http://bit.ly/Subscribe-Free

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The (Not So Secret) W a r on Your Rights
The Prepared Mind

Published on Mar 1, 2018
Rights are not granted, they are inalienable. Stop apologizing for being right!

For this video and more, join me on Patreon. For just $2 a month you get instant access to over 100 Patreon exclusive videos plus new videos daily.
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?c=12...

Shop "The Club" for all your preparedness needs. Plus live chat, The Blog, Forum and Prepper Connect.
Https://www.ThePreparedMind.club

Exercise your Second Amendment Rights!
Brownells.com
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt...

1800GunsandAmmo

AR500

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Will preppers be a target after S.H.T.F.?
preppernurse1

Published on Mar 3, 2018
After S.H.T.F. happens are preppers a target? And why do I put myself out there knowing that I will be a target?

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The Real Reason THEY WILL Come For Your Guns - and what you can do about it
FullSpectrumSurvival

Published on Mar 3, 2018
Criminals want nothing more than a defenseless unarmed victim!
Tyrannies want nothing more than a defenseless unarmed society!

Like what we do? Support us on Patreon and get Monthly Survival Cards In The Mail For $10.

There is a war on for your minds. You are being manipulated everywhere. Every television show, every advertisement, every social media app that tells you what is trending... all of these things manipulate the individual to follow the masses.

This is how morals are changing in the western world and how they will come for your guns in America. It is becoming increasingly obvious that society is changing. Changing from one of personal responsibility toward one of a take-care-of-me acceptance and want for a nanny state in which the sheep of the flock are told where and what to eat by the shepherds.

This changing point of view in which a person would rather call the police and wait for the criminal to acpt before doing something to defend themselves or innocent others is how and why they will soon come and confiscate your guns and slowly take away your rights until you are also nothing more than a defenseless sheep against the shepherds.

New studies show that the more common a behavior is, the more it is socially acceptable as being morally correct.

Excerpt:
-----
"A new study from Karolinska Institutet demonstrates that our view of what is morally right or wrong is shaped by how widespread a particular behaviour is. The results, which are presented in the Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, can improve our understanding of the psychological mechanisms behind attitudinal change in society"
-----

Bad Morals: (Bad) Behavior is considered more moral the more common it is
https://ki.se/en/news/behaviour-is-co...

Don't follow the ignorant.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
WHERE ARE ALL THESE ALLERGIES COMING FROM? | Dr Jay Nielsen MD
Reluctant Preppers

Published on Mar 3, 2018
Wondering why ALLERGIES ARE ON THE RAMPANT INCREASE in recent decades? And whether the allergy medicines prescribed by most doctors or advertised on TV are making things better OR WORSE?

Our off-grid doctor, Jay Nielsen MD shares a wealth of experience on the radical adulterations to our food supply that are triggering NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN FLARE-UPS OF OUR IMMUNE SYSTEMS. Nielsen points the finger at the worst culprits and spells out a way back to sanity and COMMON-SENSE HEALTH AND HEALING.
You'll want to share this episode with your loved ones!

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
1.5 million people are still without power on the east coast.
preppernurse1

Published on Mar 4, 2018
With 1.5. million people still without power on the east coast this is the reason why we prep. A great
day for solar at the homestead.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Spoogle Goo Toobe and Censor ship.We CAN win!
The Prepared Mind

Published on Mar 5, 2018
In the last couple of weeks, more and more creators have found themselves locked out of their channels. It happens instantly, without any advance notice and just about zero recourse.

If you have channels that you don't want to lose, bookmark their alternate websites now! If they don't have an alternate, urge them to create one.

YouTube has demonstrated time and again that they can and WILL seize any channel and for any reason, If that happens to The Prepared Mind channel, you already know where to find me!

https://www.patreon.com/thepreparedmind
https://www.thepreparedmind.club

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
THEY'RE DETERMINED TO STARVE & CRUSH THE MIDDLE CLASS | Wayne Jett
Reluctant Preppers

Published on Mar 9, 2018
What if you discovered that our grandparents' and parents' generations barely survived an all-out coordinated attack designed to starve out and permanently obliterate the American middle class and restore a two-class system run by the global financial elite? Or worse: what if you learned beyond a doubt from first-hand accounts that this heinous campaign has been perpetrated for over a century AND STILL BEING WAGED by a collusion of corrupt government leaders and trans-national financiers? Our guest faced just such a chilling revelation, and chose to go public with his findings, at great personal risk.

Wayne Jett, attorney who has argued cases before the US Supreme Court, and author of the scholarly book "The Fruits of Graft," joins Reluctant Preppers for this first segment in a blistering expose of corruption and genocide perpetrated by US Presidents at the bidding of the real owners behind international banks and off-record governmental organizations which have been pulling the strings at our families' expense for generations.

You owe it to yourself and your ancestors and descendants to absorb what Jett reveals about the shocking documented historical evidence that puts our upside-down world into perspective, and bring razor-sharp focus to what we are up against and what we must do about it!

or
==================

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
COMING YOUR WAY: INSOLVENT EVERYTHING | Mike Rivero
Reluctant Preppers

Published on Mar 6, 2018
Outspoken independent radio host and founder of WhatReallyHappened.com, Mike Rivero, returns to Reluctant Preppers to add his piercing commentary to recent tragedies, and to sound the alarm that we are on the verge of unprecedented mass insolvency at every level of business and government. Rivero brings us back to focusing on what we can control, and where to begin taking care of business NOW!

IN THIS INTERVIEW:

Mass tragedies: Why are we being told to generalize from specific incidents to surrendering constitutional protection, but when other forms of lethal tools are used, there’s no such coordinated outcry?

Insolvent corporations, nations, states and cities- what happens when they all cry BAILOUT at the same time?

Pension funds and social security.. poised to crumble?

All wars are bankers wars... revisited.

Cryptos’ purpose, under attack, & future?

Real risks we’re not being told about!

Priority preparedness steps to take now!

or
==================

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Prepared Response to Five Oh Eight Seven
The Prepared Mind

Published on Mar 8, 2018
Not sure who to call? Find you congressman's contact here:
https://capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-c...

For this video and more, join me at Patreon for just $2/month. Along with daily videos, you will get your name published on my website, exclusive coupon codes for Prepared Mind Merchandise, invitation only access to a private Facebook Group, plus live chats with Q & A.
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?c=12...

Useful Links:
1-800 Guns&Ammo: http://bit.ly/TPMammo
Brownells: http://bit.ly/TPMBrownells
AR500: http://bit.ly/TPMAR500
Blue Ridge Firearms: http://bit.ly/TPMBlueRidge

Shop, Blog, Chat, Forum, Prepper Connect and more at The Club:
https://www.thepreparedmind.club

Long term food storage:
Thrive Life: http://bit.ly/2I3P27Z
Mountain House: http://bit.ly/2FthGRg
Patriot Supply: http://bit.ly/2oN7Ekz

Help support the channel without costing you a thing, shop through my Amazon link and I may receive a small commission.
http://bit.ly/TPMAmazon

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Inside the luxury doomsday bunker complex the size of a CITY in South Dakota where 10,000 people will prepare for 'the end of the world'
  • Bunker complex is being created by California-based company Vivos at a military site in South Dakota
  • Each bunker is 26ft wide and 80ft long (8 metres by 24 metres) and can accommodate 10 to 20 people
  • Bunkers were used by the Army in 1942 and built with reinforced concrete to withstand a 500,000-ton blast
  • Instead of windows, LEDs are placed inside the bunkers to simulate the different views of the outside world

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5490783/Inside-doomsday-bunker-complex-size-CITY.html#ixzz59cTbjIOJ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Weekly Wrap Up-Gonna Have Some Fun
The Prepared Mind

Published on Mar 10, 2018
Well, are we closer to SHTF or are things getting better? Hahhahahaa. You already know my answer!

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Rerun-Will S H T F benefit The P That Bee this time around?
The Prepared Mind

Published on Mar 12, 2018
Every war is a bankers war.

New Videos daily when you subscribe to my Patreon Channel: https://www.patreon.com/ThePreparedMind

Shop "The Club"! http://thepreparedmind.club/ for your Preps!
Get Prepared for whatever comes your way at the Club!

Long Term Food Storage:
Thrive Life Freeze Dried Foods: http://bit.ly/TPMThriveFoods
Mountain House: http://bit.ly/TPMMountainHouse
Patriot Supply: http://bit.ly/TPMPatriotSupply
Wertz's Canned Meat: http://bit.ly/TPMWertzCannedMeat

Want to help out without costing you a thing? Use this link when you do your shopping on Amazon and they'll throw a bone my way.
http://bit.ly/TPMAmazon

Hey, I'm on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/ThePreparedM...

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
The Georgia Guide Stones and thier plan.
preppernurse1

Published on Mar 10, 2018
Talking about the Georgia Guide Stones and what they mean and what's their plan?

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
How the Unprepared People Will React to SHTF
DEMCAD

Published on Mar 11, 2018
After having a conversation with a man and a woman about SHTF, I decided to comment on how I think some people would react to a national crisis if they are unprepared.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
What will happen after S.H.T.F. when people dont get there meds.
preppernurse1

Published on Mar 16, 2018
After S.H.T.F. happens how will people be when they don't get there meds. Sharing my thoughts on it.