• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

First experience with modern hearing aids

TomD

Let's Go Branden!
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Look at the attached file of my hearing test from earlier this week. It shows profound hearing loss, right at total deafness at any frequency above 2 kHz. This means I simply cannot hear a major part of the normal human communication band.

I did my first trip to an audiologist earlier this week with an eye to actually getting hearing aids. The audiologist was a young woman with a high-pitched voice who I had a very hard time understanding. She ran me through the tests with the results shown and programmed a demo set of hearing aids to fit my response. It sounded pretty weird at first, there was a huge component of information that simply isn't present in in my "normal' hearing. At first it sounded abnormal but after a few minutes I realized that I could easily understand the audiologist. After around 30 minutes of conversation with the audiologist and coming to a conclusion about which hearing aid to order, it was time for me to leave the office.

I stood up and realized that I was still wearing the demo hearing aids, and mentioned she probably needed to take them out. As they came out after getting used to them for only 30 minutes, I have to use an analogy here, it was immediate, it was like my vision being reduced to a darkened black and white. I had no idea just how much-----

Though I'm 73 and have retired 2 times before, I still find myself in demand and working on a consulting and part time basis. I commonly find myself in meetings but find my mind wandering and missing important parts because I flat can't understand what people around the table are saying. Hopefully, that is over.

When I was in the Marines, we went through basic and infantry training with no hearing protection. I fired 50 BMG, M16's, M72 Laws, M60's, bazookas, blocks of TNT, 75mm recoilless, all without hearing protection. Later, in the Air Wing, I spent a lot of time in C130's. Then later Deep Purple concerts and the like. Then years of shooting without protection. I destroyed my hearing but didn't understand the extent until last week.

It will be two weeks until mine come in.

Attachments

• hearing test Jan 2022.pdf
    30.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
What???

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Joe's right there with you!

Biden %22What?%22.png

Glad you found hearing aides that work for you. I suspect they aren't cheap, but hearing is critical.

There were no safety measures regarding personal health in the military when I was in. Thankfully I only served 2 years.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Tom, I am on my 3rd type & none of them work really well. I hope you have better luck.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Tom -- I cannot live without my Starkey mini-BTE setup. I can watch a marching band on TV next to my Beautiful Witch, and she could be reading; won't hear a thing -- there does not have to be sound broadcast into the room. Blue tooth. But you can have both, too, if you want.

And it's stereo sound... you could hear a plane fly over on the TV and know which way it was going.

You are gonna love them.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
That is wonderful Tom. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to hear normally. There is no technology for my hearing issue but it seems hearing aids have come a really long way.

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
That wonderful Tom. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to hear normally. There is no technology for my hearing issue but it seems hearing aids have come a really long way.
No chance of the bone-conduction thing like Rush Limbaugh got?

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
No chance of the bone-conduction thing like Rush Limbaugh got?
last I checked a few years ago there did not appear to be anything. If there was some residual hearing to work with it might be possible but its dead. Since my hearing is very good in my other ear I'm not willing to do a surgical procedure. Any time they have tampered in my ear it can be followed by months of vertigo so no thanks.

TomD

Let's Go Branden!
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Tom, I am on my 3rd type & none of them work really well. I hope you have better luck.
I'm far from expert but I think that hearing loss can be from several causes, some of which react well with hearing aids and others---

Good luck

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I like my Starkeys but admittedly don't wear them unless I know I'm going into a noisy environment like a bar. They are of little use to me at work because I'm normally using hearing protection. If that weren't the case I would probably wear the Starkeys habitually.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I've had hearing loss in my left ear since teen years. One drunken night changed my whole life. It is like an outsider looking in most times especially in crowds.

Got a hearing aid (just one for all practical purposes) about 6 years ago. Has made a big difference in dealing with other humans. Sometimes for the better. What I have ran into a few times is know where you set your hearing aid down. They are tiny and easy to misplace. And if the ear piece slips out while I'm busy doing something, the transmitter may fall off the back of my ear and I'd lose the unit.

Enjoy the new world.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
That is wonderful Tom. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to hear normally. There is no technology for my hearing issue but it seems hearing aids have come a really long way.
I've heard there is a way to pick up sound from one side and transfer it over to the other ear. I hadn't looked into it. What I have found is that if I bluetooth something into my hearing aid, it blocks all other sounds from entering so something that transfers may not be good either.

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I've heard there is a way to pick up sound from one side and transfer it over to the other ear. I hadn't looked into it. What I have found is that if I bluetooth something into my hearing aid, it blocks all other sounds from entering so something that transfers may not be good either.
Its been a while since I looked into it. Back in the old days they would make glasses that had a wire that transferred the sound from one side to the other. I believe there is some implant that will do that now. Last I saw it was not covered by insurance and very expensive. Also I don't want anyone messing inside my inner ear.

Last edited: