• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

First Spouse Coins

NotTheOne

Seeker
Seeker
Good points on Jackson & Van Buren as they are already at a premium. But I'm confused about the Buchanan comment of selling more. If the public were to buy more of JB, there can only be as many sets of the "gang of four" as the one with the lowest mintage. So the worst case would be Jefferson-esque situation. But I doubt Buchanan will have the numbers of a popular Jefferson. And he's still a non-spouse coin, although "that" may raise the mintage. Also gold price may keep numbers lower.

Last edited:

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Remember the mintage of the Buchanan will be limited to 15,000 coins across PR and unc. I think it will sell out fairly quickly.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
At a recent in-person visit I could not persuade Silvertowne to part w/ their Jackson ngc PR70 for less than their asking price of $1100.

pay dirt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The liberty sub series is appealing because they dont have spouse portraits. They are basically new mintages (one side anyway) of the common liberty coins that were in circulation during the time of those presidents served. Collecting all four in the future might be difficult. They are getting hard to find as it is. Of the four the Jefferson bust is the nicest.

I have to agree about Jefferson. It is a very nice looking coin and ironically you can still find that one without an outrageous markup.

NotTheOne

Seeker
Seeker
Taken from CoinTalk

"As it stands now, I'm not sure if any of the published mintage figures can be trusted to be "final" mintage numbers. The Mint is "Authorized" to continue minting/selling each of the designs until the Max mintage is reached...or until the end of the entire program (sometime in 2016)."

Is this true? If so, how would one go about getting an issue that is supposedly closed? The back door of the mint?

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Back in 1933 a fellow with connections and a coin/jewelry store close by the PHILLI MINT did grab 10 1933 SAINTS and put them in his safe.

They did not come from the front door - and GUESS who has them NOW recently slabbed by NGC -

Yep, you are too smart - the US GOVY for the second court case on the FIFTH amendment so to speak...

Master_Ho

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Back in 1933 a fellow with connections and a coin/jewelry store close by the PHILLI MINT did grab 10 1933 SAINTS and put them in his safe.

They did not come from the front door - and GUESS who has them NOW recently slabbed by NGC -

Yep, you are too smart - the US GOVY for the second court case on the FIFTH amendment so to speak...

I MAY be incorrect - but the last I heard - the family won the case and got the coins back!

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
At a recent in-person visit I could not persuade Silvertowne to part w/ their Jackson ngc PR70 for less than their asking price of $1100.
A friend of mine just bought an unc NGC69 Jackson for $804 after rebates on eBay. Woo-hoo :23_30_104:

ppius13

Seeker
Seeker
Thanks to the forum's recommendations, I have recently purchased the following:

1. 2008-W Van Buren's Liberty PCGS PR69 DCAM (First Strike) -- $800.00
2 2009-W Anna Harrison PCGS PR69 DCAM (First Strike) -- $800.00
3. 2009-W Letitia Tyler PCGS PR69 DCAM (First Strike) -- $690.00
4. 2009-W Sarah Polk PCGS PR69 DCAM (First Strike) -- $749.00

Thank you for your input.

NotTheOne

Seeker
Seeker
Since it's generally an accepted fact that almost no one will collect the entire spouse series due to the cost (except perhaps HS), perhaps another way to collect these coins is to focus on the sub series. So far, there is the "Liberty" sub series. Is there any other combination of spouses that would create other sub series (what's the plural of series?) to consider?

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
What am I, chopped liver? LOL I am buying at least one each and sometimes multiples of all of the lower mintage spouses, in unc mostly, ugly or not, makes no matter to me, I keep them outta my sight. My colleague and I own a goodly # of Harrisons for example. Large premiums will develop IMO on any US gold issue w/ the kinds of #'s we're talking about. Ugly never stopped the key varieties of the susie B's from going high and neither shall it stop the homely gold ladies.

NotTheOne

Seeker
Seeker
Mea cupla. :bowdown: HS is flashier. :biggrin: I'm sure there are many people buying these coins. *makes mental note not to mention any one person in a post*

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
You are FORGIVEN - PILGRIM - and not in the UNFORGIVEN class yet.

But that's because they are playing my NUMBER one song from the T.V. days when DIRTY HARRY was younger...

HS missing his DUKE signature...

Last edited by a moderator:

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Mea cupla. :bowdown: HS is flashier. :biggrin: I'm sure there are many people buying these coins. *makes mental note not to mention any one person in a post*
Until the day comes when I start finding in the attic MULTIPLE gold eagle proof sets I had forgotten I had ever bought, or when my collection comes to include tons of high grade Saints, then to HS at least I am indeed chopped liver LOL. I would be buying more spouses if I hadn't shot my wad on a bunch of '08-W material. Not sorry I did that either. The platinums of that series will be left to my son, who is tiny, and other future kids.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Until the day comes when I start finding in the attic MULTIPLE gold eagle proof sets I had forgotten I had ever bought, or when my collection comes to include tons of high grade Saints, then to HS at least I am indeed chopped liver LOL. I would be buying more spouses if I hadn't shot my wad on a bunch of '08-W material. Not sorry I did that either. The platinums of that series will be left to my son, who is tiny, and other future kids.
BEE NICE :36_2_36:

I just happened to look in the atic and find just four 2006 Proof Eagle sets - that's no big deal - right? :bussi:

Saints whats four collector boxes - no big deal - right? :bussi:

However, they did put me in the top 200 of NGC collectors - and I still have a LOT to grade. I'm shootin' for top 100 PILGRIM...HC :bussi:

And don't get me confused with Barney Frank - :fisheye:

Dum to de Dump to de dump - RAWHIDE...

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
BEE NICE :36_2_36:

I just happened to look in the atic and find just four 2006 Proof Eagle sets - that's no big deal - right? :bussi:

Saints whats four collector boxes - no big deal - right? :bussi:

However, they did put me in the top 200 of NGC collectors - and I still have a LOT to grade. I'm shootin' for top 100 PILGRIM...HC :bussi:

And don't get me confused with Barney Frank - :fisheye:

:36_2_36::36_2_36::36_2_36:
Dum to de Dump to de dump - RAWHIDE...
Thanks to HC I ran out to the "ATTIC" and guess what.

Remember when the 2008 Silver eagle MS state mint in box had a POSSIBLE error if you ordered. Well. I ordered and ordered 10 at a time and I found some 84 of those boxes with the silver mint coins (no errors darn iT!) in a file drawer. 84 of them and they did not make them this year at all to date.

Last year I think they made the 2009 MS mint box; but no proof.

Wow I'm 84 2008 silver eagles richer...

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I bought plenty of those '08-W silver eagles too and got skunked too, no "errors". Though "error" may debatably be a misnomer as there is nothing wrong w/ the coins themselves; some 47,000 of them were struck w/ the '07 dies on the reverse. They are are considered a "variety"... if this is the case then the '99-W unc. "error" $5 and $10 gold elgles should be considered a variety themselves. I've been meaning to start on post on those coins as they are about to recieve alot of attention and promotion in a few months.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Boy them UGLIES are getting real hard to find...

Evey Evey.

Expensive too...........................:eek_ma::eek_ma::eek_ma:

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
:36_2_36: as these SPOUSE coins walk higher in basic gold value they will make a LOT less of them. Perhaps...

I can NOT imagine being able to BUY MS69 and PF69 so cheap as now - imagine when this chart takes off at a four banger again...

http://xs.to/image-B08C_4BCEA7AD.jpg

Last edited:

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
It's a shame we lost the monster spouse thread, since this has been covered before.
The spouses will probably not produce a low mintage key, rather there will be a slew of MS coins in the low-3000 range, proofs low 5000.
For example the two Tyler coins are on pace to end within 100 coins of each other, maybe 3100-3200. Should that happen, down the line I do not see one commanding a signif. premium over the other or even the Harrison. In that manner they are like the 06-08W Plat. eagles, lots of low mintages, no clear key.
But they will all fetch a high premium because they simply will not be available, like the situation today except the series will be over and there will not be any more coming down the pike to speculate on. The mint is trying to move away from low-mintage issues, they would rather divert it to their profitable bullion stuff, they turned a record profit on it last year and are beating last years pace this year.
I see things from your viewpoint. Must mention that the MINT is so busy making the ONE-LESS-STEP in production BULLION coins they have foregone their lawful duty to mint some 25 precious metal coins.

This makes me wonder/question/ponder/think that they really do not want to part with an excess amount of precious metals because their suppliers mention they do not have the stock to make the blanks.

IMVHO that bodes well for the future of really really really higher gold and silver and platinum prices GOING down the LINE.

Not to mention that all the trees in Washington State and Washington D.C. have been used for fiat green ink. (That's my personal joke)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm pretty sure that the auction is for 2 coins. Right?

If you collect error slabs, here are a couple that got mixed up during grading. Just received these back from NGC with the wrong labels.
If they don't sell in a couple of weeks, I will send them back to be corrected. If you purchase them you could send them back also after the novelty wears off!! They are still high grade gold Spouse coins.

Certified MS 70 by NGC, one of the best grading services in the industry. The coins pictured are the coins you will receive.

Thanks for looking!

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Still they are around a grand each - retail - so the extra labeling for the two is $500 - thanks for reading the entire listing.

latemetal

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Off hand I'm beginning to regret this thread, I USED TO able to pick off the stray spouse coin at or below spot. No shot lately.:realmad:

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Whoa, just snagged another Jackson off apmex for 729, dont know whether its unc or PR as the order data shows conflicting info. WOuld rather have an unc. but will be happy w/ either.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Off hand I'm beginning to regret this thread, I USED TO able to pick off the stray spouse coin at or below spot. No shot lately.:realmad:
I'm jealous all I need is a JACKSON & VAN BUREN right now!

Last edited:

NotTheOne

Seeker
Seeker
Did anyone happen to notice that A*mex is only interested in selling spouse coins and not buying them? The is no "Buy" price noted when you click on them. Only Sell. So I guess the spouses are just bullion to them regardless of numi values (hype). *wonders*

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
THEY got stuck with a LOT of the FIRST FOUR in MS & PF...

the ONCE burnt don't re-think the idea mentality.

Many were of the same MINDEST in 1994 to 1999 when I was buying gold at $250 an ounce now $1250 ish; and silver at $4 and ounce now $20 ish...

Everything is in the MINDSET and the TIMING...

I expect a 10 banger coming DOWN the LINE...

gold at $12,500 and Silver at $200 but that's me expecting TPTB to bankrupt Omerica.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Did anyone happen to notice that A*mex is only interested in selling spouse coins and not buying them? The is no "Buy" price noted when you click on them. Only Sell. So I guess the spouses are just bullion to them regardless of numi values (hype). *wonders*
According to greysheet all spouses are worth the same, maybe that explains some of it.
I do think they are starting to notice that some spouses languish in inventory while others don't last 3 minutes.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
They used to MINT millions of GOLD coins now in the last three years they have only MINTED less than 250,000 spouses.

Oh, yes they do throw in about 50 thousand BUFFALOES at the end of the year for the highest price- they ain't stupid, they know their buddies at the FED are doubling the money supply every year - but RARELY follow the
LAW of minting all that the folks demand...right?

So even though I may be pushing the truth a tad, (I have my viewpoint that the metals are seriously LACKING in supply even per the suppliers!), I seriously doubt they want to make ONE coin...

heck, just read my signature on the bottom...